Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, they should be encouraged... but this is an issue of actual government force.

I highly recommend people move to culturally-diverse neighborhoods and towns. That doesn't mean the government should kick you out of your house and move you to make it happen.
    Because you're a libertarian I don't think we'll be able to find much common ground here. But we can probably agree on that no person should be left without a home (or otherwise affected negatively e.g. loss of job etc) because of this initiative, which was one of my concerns when I first heard/read about this.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Because you're a libertarian I don't think we'll be able to find much common ground here. But we can probably agree on that no person should be left without a home (or otherwise affected negatively e.g. loss of job etc) because of this initiative, which was one of my concerns when I first heard/read about this.
    I think a home and job is only part of the equation. The other issue is the treatment people will receive when they are forced to move. When I was a kid, a black family moved into our small town, and they received death threats by the local asshats. They were told to leave, or be killed... by armed assholes on their front porch.

I would hate to force such things on anyone.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The vision at the end seems good to me; the reality is that this won't erase the Danes' xenophobia and will remove the protection a close, like-minded community affords immigrants now. There is no solution to either the Danes' problem or the immigrants' problem besides generations of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I think a home and job is only part of the equation. The other issue is the treatment people will receive when they are forced to move. When I was a kid, a black family moved into our small town, and they received death threats by the local asshats. They were told to leave, or be killed... by armed assholes on their front porch.

I would hate to force such things on anyone.
    I would certainly oppose any government that did that.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    cultures don't cease to exist just because the adherents live with others...
    True enough... which is why there is often this weird obsession Europeans have with wanting to ban symbols of cultures... like they want to... erase them.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    True enough... which is why there is often this weird obsession Europeans have with wanting to ban symbols of cultures... like they want to... erase them.
    Like swastikas..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Like swastikas..
    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...il-ban/566630/

Don't play ignorant as if you already don't know the issue.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    The vision at the end seems good to me; the reality is that this won't erase the Danes' xenophobia and will remove the protection a close, like-minded community affords immigrants now. There is no solution to either the Danes' problem or the immigrants' problem besides generations of time.
    This was my thought, to a certain degree, when I first saw this post. I want to think that the Danes are putting this together from a place of good, but at the same time, there are "bad" ramifications in this policy. Like they are trying to do good, but there is no "good" way to solve this overall issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This was my thought, to a certain degree, when I first saw this post. I want to think that the Danes are putting this together from a place of good, but at the same time, there are "bad" ramifications in this policy. Like they are trying to do good, but there is no "good" way to solve this overall issue.
    It still can help. Some people may "learn" slowly, but some might learn faster.

My grandma was never really openly racist, but my brother and I often saw some stuff shining through. Here a comment, there a comment, when we saw immigrants on the street. Minor stuff like how it's possible they have a Mercedes and stuff. We often told her, it never got better.
    Few years ago an immigrant family moved into her house (some 6 party house), a family of 3. She completely changed. She is good friends with them and now I don't even remember the last time I heard her say something bad about immigrants.

Integrating immigrants does have an effect.

This only happens in the evil United States. European culture is to perfected to happen in it. I mean its a race between the 20 or 30 best cultures, enomonys, and moral countries to ever exist (as long as history states 40 years ago give or take).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Like Im pretty sure I could move to ireland tommorow, and by the end of the month already be chanting on IRA songs (like dis ) while looking for english to fight.
    Completly offtopic but I just had to add this one (and not just because st Patricks day was yday).
    I have fallen head over heels for irish songs

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    It still can help. Some people may "learn" slowly, but some might learn faster.

My grandma was never really openly racist, but my brother and I often saw some stuff shining through. Here a comment, there a comment, when we saw immigrants on the street. Minor stuff like how it's possible they have a Mercedes and stuff. We often told her, it never got better.
    Few years ago an immigrant family moved into her house (some 6 party house), a family of 3. She completely changed. She is good friends with them and now I don't even remember the last time I heard her say something bad about immigrants.

Integrating immigrants does have an effect.
    I would think that's the goal of Denmark's new policy. Denmark doesn't seem like the nefariously racist evil country that would set out to deport their immigrant population.

frankly when i was an idealist i use to care or think it was wrong, but its clear that as soon as you introduce a none homogenous society to these europeans they immediately become nazis, so even if you are in favor of refugees is probably best for them to just not go there anymore, but if you do happen to be woke this is proof why capitalism and free enterprise is better for individual liberty than social democracy

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    frankly when i was an idealist i use to care or think it was wrong, but its clear that as soon as you introduce a none homogenous society to these europeans they immediately become nazis, so even if you are in favor of refugees is probably best for them to just not go there anymore, but if you do happen to be woke this is proof why capitalism and free enterprise is better for individual liberty than social democracy
    Lol....just...the fuck are you talking about.

Erasure is a form of oppression. Cultures existing in parallel are usually a good thing generally leads to both cultures adopting parts of each others.
    I'm not talking about cultures, I'm talking about societies. You can still be Chinese, live your life in a Chinese way and teach your children Chinese traditions in Denmark. You're just not allowed to have so many Chinese people in one area that they can completely isolate themselves from the rest of society and build a Chinese enclave.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    *clears throat politely* Y'all forgetting this? Or are we still pretending this is anything but blatant.

Overpolicing and mandatory cultural indoctrina-- sorry, I mean daycare - and now residence quotas targeting specific demographics. Again, where have I seen this before?
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-03-19 at 04:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What makes a ghetto a ghetto? I mean... there are some Areas here that people have considered ghettos. Despite it having lower crime than the average, and a high degree of privately own businesses by the high immigrant population. It was "ghetto" because it was very brown though.

I'd move to a place like that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto_(Denmark)

In May 2018 the criteria were revised and districts with three out of the five criteria were placed on the list. That changed the number of ghetto districts from 22 to 30.[7]

Many inhabitants lack employment or education. Only educations approved in Denmark count.[7]
    There are many inhabitants who have only primary education (Folkeskole)[7]
    Many inhabitants have low income.[7]
    There are three times as many people with criminal convictions compared to the average for the country.
    More than half the inhabitants are from non-Western countries or are descendants of migrants non-Western countries.[7]
    The page fails to say that the 3 criteria are: 2 of the first 4 and the 5th

Basically a ghetto is a poor area with a high percentage of immigrants and their descendants (they are apparantly changing that to 30% instead of 50%..)

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    cultures don't cease to exist just because the adherents live with others...
    I mean, I was born in India, I fully integrated into the U.S., and my culture is going to die with my parents. I am American. I don't know Hindi, I don't know shit about Indian culture, all I know is I like eating Indian food. Every day I regret not being more a part of my culture. It has been to my detriment, because I don't feel Indian, but many white Americans push me to not feel "real American" because, guess what, racism is still real.

The problem with this policy, imo, is that it is, broadly speaking, saying the culture of the immigrant "isn't good enough." It's a policy which seeks to make their native culture seem subhuman. And while there are many problems with Islam in the areas of the world where these people might be coming from, Islamic culture isn't subhuman and should be celebrated and cherished. It doesn't seek integration for ease of communication or the comfort of the person being integrated, but for the ease of the nativist. It is an inherently nativist policy.

And because it's about a cultural issue, they could essentially apply it to any subgroup they find "not good enough." Say this was happening in the U.S.: you have (perhaps valid) concerns of enclaves of fundamentalist Muslims treating women like property, etc, anti-thetical to American values. You forcefully integrate them. What happens when the half of this country that deems Hispanic culture "not good enough" and are always bitching about people speaking Spanish in Spanish barrios, want to apply this to those areas?

What happens when they want to apply it to black neighborhoods, not for a different language or immigration-integration, but because the "urban culture" is "not good enough"?

It's the first step towards destroying cultural identity in the name of authoritarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I would think that's the goal of Denmark's new policy. Denmark doesn't seem like the nefariously racist evil country that would set out to deport their immigrant population.
    It really isnt. (Well everyone has racists), but all in all our policy is based on the lack of i integration and not “omg different skin colour!”

I think Denmarks position regarding immigration is, we’ll take them and integrate them, instead of throwing them in “ghetto’s” and forget about them. We’re also worried about receiving more immigrants than we can effectivily integrate, which became an apparent issue in the 90’s.

Some might see it as racist, I guess that’s more a lack of understanding of the core issue. I do prefere that we help immigrants settling in the country they arrived to, so they and their children can feel at home, and not just feel at home in within a few blocks. There’s been stories about children of immigrants, going to danish school, and then come home to a family that did not embrace the culture or language, leaving the kid split between 2 worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Some might see it as racist, I guess that’s more a lack of understanding of the core issue. I do prefere that we help immigrants settling in the country they arrived to, so they and their children can feel at home, and not just feel at home in within a few blocks. There’s been stories about children of immigrants, going to danish school, and then come home to a family that did not embrace the culture or language, leaving the kid split between 2 worlds.
    On the contrary, those kids are fine. We have generations of data on Hispanic immigrants in this country to show it. They are bilingual Spanish and English, and live their lives in the barrio, but are as American as any teenager.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: FWIW, almost every immigrant's family is integrated within 1 or 2 generations of the original immigrating adults. DREAMers are as American as their white counterparts born in the country.