Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    people loose their job, their existence and families are put in danger in "C19 times", mortgage and many other running costs that need to be covered and forum morons still white knight blizzard for health care and whatnot while Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick receives $200 million payout. go away, you stockholm syndromed, confirmation biased, sunk cost fallacied pseudo humans.
    Last edited by Magneto; 2021-03-18 at 12:23 PM.

Sometimes it feels like some people believe it's company's / government's responsibility to make sure everyone has a job and is happy with his salary.

There was nothing to do for those people, why should the company have to keep paying them if there is no profit from their job?

What does that have to do with Kottick's bonus or company's good standing? As in if company has some surplus money then it has no right to lay off people?
    People weren't laid off because company couldn't afford them. It was because there was nothing for the to do, or the work didn't bring enough profits to cover expenses related to it.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    people loose their job, their existence and families are put in danger in "C19 times", mortgage and many other running costs that need to be covered and forum morons still white knight blizzard for health care and whatnot while Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick receives $200 million payout. go away, you stockholm syndromed, confirmation biased, sunk cost fallacied pseudo humans.
    Your statement doesn't even fit into the discussion. Go to the right thread. with that, for that is bullshit too. But this thread has one person screaming because of a gift card.

There is hardly any white knighting to be found here. At least they got a severance package while thousands of people during the Covid time haven't gotten anything after being fired. Unless it is white knighting to be grateful that people actually got something when fired?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    "Grab something from the gift shop on your way out."
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Your statement doesn't even fit into the discussion. Go to the right thread. with that, for that is bullshit too. But this thread has one person screaming because of a gift card.

There is hardly any white knighting to be found here. At least they got a severance package while thousands of people during the Covid time haven't gotten anything after being fired. Unless it is white knighting to be grateful that people actually got something when fired?
    this is white knighting 101, thanks for proving my point. C U.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got no particular love for ActiBlizz and their practices in general, but that hardly constitutes 'white knighting'
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, being happy that people got a severance package when many others don't... is white knighting?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BTC Bill View Post
    I've got no particular love for ActiBlizz and their practices in general, but that hardly constitutes 'white knighting'
    Love most of their games. Played them for over two decades but yeah, I don't agree on how they run their business at all.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    last time I was laid off from a job I got a weeks pay and got to keep the 50% employee discount for a month after end date. I was pretty happy with the discount bought abunch of stuff for my family for Christmas.

I expect the people actually getting the cards are happy to have them and it’s only people looking for a reason to be mad at blizzard who aren’t.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tummybria View Post
    That's exactly how emotions are. They aren't backed by thought or logical thinking most of the time. Still, it's not idiotic to feel bitterness or hate towards a company that laid you off. For a human possessing emotion, it's normal most of the time.
    You don't need to solve a rocket science equation in order to tell yourself how to feel. That's for robots, not humans.
    Bitterness or hate still doesn't mean you stop using the products. You've now gone from "They will be humiliated" to bitterness and hate. What will be the next emotion you try and play off of? Do you think a person that gets fired/layed-off from google will stop using google products? Will a person that got fired from Volkswagon sell the Volkswagon they drive? You have a very narrow view of how the word works. Heck using your logic every Disney employee would never watch hundreds of movies or shows ever again simply because Disney owns it.

These were also e-sports people. They may have routinely got gift cards for Activision Blizzard games. They may have been hired because of their knowledge/play-time/whatever with Activision Blizzard games. You and others keep trying to be outraged over something that isn't really a big deal. And for what? Your pride?

A gift card is still something in place of nothing. Of which the alternative was nothing.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    So, because you got fired, you must have bad blood with them? Because that isn't the case for the average human being. Imagine how the business would be in the future if everyone had a grudge at every company they have been fired from or every team that one has been benched from. People would be running out of options of things to do, or places to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, this is making the assumption that you must have bad blood for being fired.

I have had a long experience of different job placements, from a supermarket chain to a massive IT company to a DIY chain to government positions. Just because I've been fired, or budget cut from these places doesn't make bad blood between me and the locations - I don't drive to a completely different part of the country just because I have been working at the locations near me, just to get some item from one of the places.

I don't tell my current employment that I can't help them because the IT company I worked for fired me so I just somehow can't work on their products anymore.
    I'd argue you are making the exact opposite argument here, that no one that was let go from Activision Blizzard has any reason to have any hard feelings about them. I promise you that is not the case, there are always some people that will be hurt and feel unfairly treated within any mass layoff. That's just a part of rejection of any sort. Even those that leave under good circumstances tend to want to take time off from the products they worked on. Ghostcrawler himself left WoW for 6 years after leaving Blizzard, comparing it to "constantly checking on one's ex": https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...s-as-a-player/

There's also a certain assumption that those who left were ever interested in Activision Blizzard products. Most probably were at some point, but there are some who likely joined the team mainly to get in to the games industry somewhere and/or got the job right out of college. It's also possible some lost interest after seeing how things operate behind the scenes.

This also isn't like a Wal-Mart card or the like. At least with a place like that, you can get essentials if needed or trade it out for a different gift card you can actually use. Those can be used for food, water, or lots of other various goods. There is nothing I can think of on the Battle.Net store that would be listed as an essential, or even anything other than a brutal reminder. And as it is specific to Battle.Net, for anyone that was not a fan of Activision products or have any sort of "bad blood" towards Activision, the best they can hope for then is that they can sell the card for something close to what it's initial value might've been. Personally, I'd be pretty insulted in that case, even as a fan of Blizzard products who could eventually find a use for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Personally, I'd be pretty insulted in that case, even as a fan of Blizzard products who could eventually find a use for it.
    But why? It is something instead of nothing. It wasn't a Activision Blizzard gift card in place of a Visa gift card. This really shows how worked up people get over something that isn't that big of a deal. It is just a small bonus on top of what was already given that is a decent severance. If a small bonus that might have no worth to you insults you so much then the problem is within and not from Activision Blizzard.

People just need to learn to not get so worked up over little things.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    I'd argue you are making the exact opposite argument here, that no one that was let go from Activision Blizzard has any reason to have any hard feelings about them. I promise you that is not the case, there are always some people that will be hurt and feel unfairly treated within any mass layoff. That's just a part of rejection of any sort. Even those that leave under good circumstances tend to want to take time off from the products they worked on. Ghostcrawler himself left WoW for 6 years after leaving Blizzard, comparing it to "constantly checking on one's ex": https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...s-as-a-player/

There's also a certain assumption that those who left were ever interested in Activision Blizzard products. Most probably were at some point, but there are some who likely joined the team mainly to get in to the games industry somewhere and/or got the job right out of college. It's also possible some lost interest after seeing how things operate behind the scenes.

This also isn't like a Wal-Mart card or the like. At least with a place like that, you can get essentials if needed or trade it out for a different gift card you can actually use. Those can be used for food, water, or lots of other various goods. There is nothing I can think of on the Battle.Net store that would be listed as an essential, or even anything other than a brutal reminder. And as it is specific to Battle.Net, for anyone that was not a fan of Activision products or have any sort of "bad blood" towards Activision, the best they can hope for then is that they can sell the card for something close to what it's initial value might've been. Personally, I'd be pretty insulted in that case, even as a fan of Blizzard products who could eventually find a use for it.
    First of all, my point is that the OP's argument forms the assumption that people have bad blood for being fired. That is not really the case normally unless there was an internal disagreement. If you did leave bad blood with the company, sure, could be seen as a slap but then you could be grown up enough to sell the card, or just throw it away - you already got the other things. If you didn't leave bad blood with the company, then there is no insult, it is an extra gift.

Secondly, the Interest in products is down to yourself, though. You should hold some interest to be wanted to work with a game studio. And if you don't, then of course, there are the options If they don't like it, sell it to someone else - earn 200 dollars.

Thirdly, just like a Walmart, Blizzard can offer a gift card too for their products, does not matter what you can generally use it for, it is a GIFT. If they don't like it, sell it to someone else.

It is a bloody gesture of kindness, and people compare it to survival needs when the ex-employees have also all been given 3 months pay on top of the end of the month pay coming. It sucks to get fired, many have experienced that, but I don't see it as a slap to the face. A slap to the face would be to not get anything at all.