Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    Many of you say that Warcraft's lore is tied to the game and therefore, you cannot take it seriously. Well, Warhammer's lore is based on a tabletop wargame, and if you have a look at, for instance, End Times' story, it has a lot of battles that make no sense, and they're there just to justify the campaign.
    The difference between how there linked to the games is that wow limits what they can do with the lore with things like the alliance and horde never actually being able to end each other or even have a playable race wiped out.

Then you have warhammer where the end times killed off a ton of factions or changed them far more then wow could ever do. The tomb kings from what I understand are just gone in AOS for example.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Looks like Revendreth
    Other way around, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The difference between how there linked to the games is that wow limits what they can do with the lore with things like the alliance and horde never actually being able to end each other or even have a playable race wiped out.

Then you have warhammer where the end times killed off a ton of factions or changed them far more then wow could ever do. The tomb kings from what I understand are just gone in AOS for example.
    Yeah i do miss my boy Settra, there is something similar with the Ossiarch Bonereapers though but still not the same with out motherfucking Settra.

Well there is a good chance i think we get OG tomb kings when fantasy returns though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    "Stairs go up".
    Hey i get that, Bardin
    Do you hear the voices too?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Yeah i do miss my boy Settra, there is something similar with the Ossiarch Bonereapers though but still not the same with out motherfucking Settra.

Well there is a good chance i think we get OG tomb kings when fantasy returns though.
    Bone made blood thirsters are really cool but with out things like the Egyptian Aesthetic or settra a lot of the magic is lost.

But ya hopefully old world will bring them back and use them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Bone made blood thirsters are really cool but with out things like the Egyptian Aesthetic or settra a lot of the magic is lost.

But ya hopefully old world will bring them back and use them a lot.
    Yeah fully agreed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Other way around, buddy.
    So, this area came before Revendreth? I mean, ok, thanks for reminding me. I'm not your "buddy", however.

WoW serves its purpose like shit then...

WoW serves its purpose like shit then...
    Still the most popular and best selling mmo atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I think they both suck. Warhammer has little beyond violence and killing, and that's fine if you're a 15-year-old metalhead, or if that's your thing, but I like that Warcraft, if only briefly gives you a moment of repose to say what people are doing when they aren't murdering/getting murdered. It's not common, but I just wish they could get creative beyond who is killing who, why they are killing them, and what they are killing them with.

WH fantasy exists to sell miniatures. WoW exists to sell video games. They serve their purpose.
    I think you are right in some way. It is true that Warhammer's world is too much orientated towards war. I think its world would be a better one if it weren't there just to sell miniatures.

Still the most popular and best selling mmo atleast.
    Debatable, especially since FFXIV's popular asf now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Debatable, especially since FFXIV's popular asf now.
    It’s really not debatable FF has never shown any thing that would put it even close to wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warhammer by far and it's nearing it's one thousand novels and it's one of the most fleshed out ip's there is.

Black library have tons of amazing authors too.

One example is world building and teasing events like the War in heavens and dark age of technology we know next to nothing about it and when GW desides they want to build on that they have hundreds of novels easily they can write on just those 2 events.

Or one very recent event and a major plot line for the lore, also something that's just been teased all the way back to the eisenhorn novels.

From Penitent by Dan Abnett

It's been revealed that the Yellow King is no other then Constantine Valdor and he's been away in a pocket dimention called the City of Dust creating a army of blanks and winged daemons called Grails.

He's motives are to find out the true name of the God Emperor, some say it's to heal him and some say it's to controll him.

Major reveal as the yellow king has been hinted as far back as the eisenhorn novels.

But about fantasy yeah can't freaking wait for the old world to return with tons of new lore.
    But that's not even WH Fantasy.

Also the good and bad part of WH is that most lore is not "canon" per se, as it may be just lies or wrong ideas of the character presented (at least in 40K)

Not to talk down on WoW lore or anything, cause I'm not...

But this video is so fucking wrong. I gotta make a damn essay on this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to talk down on WoW lore or anything, cause I'm not...

But this video is so fucking wrong. I gotta make a damn essay on this shit.
    Not surprising given who made it. That person is a horrible "writer" to begin with, so any
    advice they have is eye-rollingly dubious at best.

I don't know too much about Warhammer, but I've always had the impression that they lean very much into the "crapsack world" (to use a TV tropes term) feel for both Warhammer and 40k, every race is super gray and borderline horrible with a "whoeever wins we all lose" sort of feel.

WoW kind of teeters toward that a little bit, but they still want to keep the player and player factions in the good guy mold (Which is for the better frankly, the whole "everyone is gray, nobody is really "the" good guy thing is VERY offputting for me. It's one reason I came to dislike game of thrones very much)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I don't know too much about Warhammer, but I've always had the impression that they lean very much into the "crapsack world" (to use a TV tropes term) feel for both Warhammer and 40k, every race is super gray and borderline horrible with a "whoeever wins we all lose" sort of feel.

WoW kind of teeters toward that a little bit, but they still want to keep the player and player factions in the good guy mold (Which is for the better frankly, the whole "everyone is gray, nobody is really "the" good guy thing is VERY offputting for me. It's one reason I came to dislike game of thrones very much)
    Even Warhammer has been getting off that lately. GrimDark got a little too ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

Warhammer Fantasy was never that grim-dark. There was always a strong sense of everyone being doomed and a certain sense of viciousness around some of the races, but there was always space for people to be genuinely noble or charitable, or for other races to get along out of genuine concern for the greater good and not just to screw each other over further down the line. High Elves, humans and Dwarves were certainly good races, Wood and Dark Elves could be said to be greyish with the Wood Elves leaning towards good and the Dark Elves leaning heavily into bad. Chaos and Tomb Kings definitely bad. Vampires mostly bad with some redeemable qualities. Ogres and Orks quite bad and destructive but without the malevolence of Chaos.

Okay so it's not exactly nice, but it's still pretty far from how 40k gives you a choice of Space Hitler, Space Stalin or Space Satan.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2021-04-03 at 07:52 PM.

Think there is 3 different undead factions in AoS so far with a 4th coming with vampires like the fantasy setting.

There is so far

Flesh-Eater Courts
    Legions of Nagash
    Nighthaunt

All with their own models and they look so got damn amazing specially the nighthaunt. Need to paint me some of those soon.
    My girlfriend and I picked up a Stormcast/Nighthaunt set. I took the Stormcast while she took the Nighthaunts. We've both been obsessing over them lately as we get them built and painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Warhammer Fantasy was never that grim-dark. There was always a strong sense of everyone being doomed and a certain sense of viciousness around some of the races, but there was always space for people to be genuinely noble or charitable, or for other races to get along out of genuine concern for the greater good and not just to screw each other over further down the line. High Elves, humans and Dwarves were certainly good races, Wood and Dark Elves could be said to be greyish with the Wood Elves leaning towards good and the Dark Elves leaning heavily into bad. Chaos and Tomb Kings definitely bad. Vampires mostly bad with some redeemable qualities. Ogres and Orks quite bad and destructive but without the malevolence of Chaos.

Okay so it's not exactly nice, but it's still pretty far from how 40k gives you a choice of Space Hitler, Space Stalin or Space Satan.
    Do you think Warhammer Fantasy will ever come back?

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    Do you think Warhammer Fantasy will ever come back?
    They have already announced it's coming back like a year ago, it will be set during the Age of Three Emperors also called the Age of War.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    My girlfriend and I picked up a Stormcast/Nighthaunt set. I took the Stormcast while she took the Nighthaunts. We've both been obsessing over them lately as we get them built and painted.
    Aye they look amazing.