Poll: Strongest character mentally?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Probably Khadgar. He is your default super-smart super-disciplined archetype.

Tyrande. NOTHING will deter that girl from her goal

IDK, maybe guts from berserk

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    So disciplined that he abandoned his friends during a war against a genocidal maniac building super weapons, because he couldn't decide which side he is on.

The list clearly misses Anduin. The willpower and courage of that guy are immense.

At 15 he braved the dangers of Pandaria alone, stared down a mad Orc and later met with that guy to admonish him, at 18 he silenced Genn Greymane with one word and punched a Dragon in the face, now he is chained in literal hell and spends his time mocking Sylvanas for her nonesense.

Out of those on the list? Probably Illidan, based on his encounter with Kil'jaeden at the Black Temple in his novel. While people usually call Illidan insane, he's actually pretty sane when you consider he's been incarcerated and starved (but magically kept alive) for 10k years. Loneliness alone can cast serious lasting damage after only a few weeks, let alone for 10k years (except for Maiev who occasionally came to taunt and torture him some more).

Malfurion would qualify, but he's too passive imo, I consider a character mentally strong when they know when to act and when not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    So disciplined that he abandoned his friends during a war against a genocidal maniac building super weapons, because he couldn't decide which side he is on.

The list clearly misses Anduin. The willpower and courage of that guy are immense.

At 15 he braved the dangers of Pandaria alone, stared down a mad Orc and later met with that guy to admonish him, at 18 he silenced Genn Greymane with one word and punched a Dragon in the face, now he is chained in literal hell and spends his time mocking Sylvanas for her nonesense.
    "The willpower" lol guy became the Jailer's puppet. Fuck him, dood.

Also, of course he left. He doesn't want to deal in the Faction War. Why would he? He's the Guardian. He shouldn't give two shits about it. His "friends" also don't like the war, outside of Turalyon and Alleria. Velen retired, and Illidan's slapping Sargeras' stupid fuckin face right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Out of those on the list? Probably Illidan, based on his encounter with Kil'jaeden at the Black Temple in his novel. While people usually call Illidan insane, he's actually pretty sane when you consider he's been incarcerated and starved (but magically kept alive) for 10k years. Loneliness alone can cast serious lasting damage after only a few weeks, let alone for 10k years (except for Maiev who occasionally came to taunt and torture him some more).

Malfurion would qualify, but he's too passive imo, I consider a character mentally strong when they know when to act and when not to.
    Illidan's used to getting friendzoned, hence why loneliness doesn't matter to him. Also, regarding Maiev, how much you wanna bet they hate fucked each-other prior to 7.3?

- - - Updated - - -

Khadgar is literally 54 going on 6. Never seen a more childish, yet fuckin' badass old man in WoW. I love it.

Garrosh Hellscream. Being milked like a cow in Revendreth and still too stubborn to admit he might have been wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Illidan's used to getting friendzoned, hence why loneliness doesn't matter to him. Also, regarding Maiev, how much you wanna bet they hate fucked each-other prior to 7.3?
    You're aware there's other variants of loneliness than being friendzoned? I'm talking about NO CONTACT AT ALL, complete isolation, which, if you know the slightest bit about human psyche causes serious damage in one's mental health over time (and don't give me "But Illidan isn't human!" crap, ALL the races are pretty (RL) human-minded).
    Last edited by Sangris; 2021-03-18 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    You're aware there's other variants of loneliness than being friendzoned? I'm talking about NO CONTACT AT ALL, complete isolation, which, if you know the slightest bit about human psyche causes serious damage in one's mental health over time (and don't give me "But Illidan isn't human!" crap, ALL the races are pretty (RL) human-minded).
    Well, yes, I'm well aware. You don't seem to be aware of jokes, however. :I

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta show a little bit of comedy when talking about how mentally fucked people can get in this series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Garrosh Hellscream. Being milked like a cow in Revendreth and still too stubborn to admit he might have been wrong.

We don't even know if that's Garrosh...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Tyrande. NOTHING will deter that girl from her goal
    Her entire persona changed as soon as Teldrassil happened, and she was mentally weak when faced with ILLUSION'S of Malfurion at Val'sharah.

I mean, realistically he didn't participate because the writers forgot about him LOL. He should have been in the game since Classic, a character as powerful as him.

5+ Year Old Account
    I mean, realistically he didn't participate because the writers forgot about him LOL. He should have been in the game since Classic, a character as powerful as him.
    To be frank, one of the things I like the most on Vanilla/Classic is the almost complete absence of uber powerful entities in the playable factions. No Khadgar, no Malfurion, no dragon aspect Green Jesus, no omg so stronk Sylvanas. It makes PC feel more important, without resorting to cheap BS such as muh commander/CHAMPYUN/maw walker. For some reason, I find the last one especially cringeworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

"The willpower" lol guy became the Jailer's puppet. Fuck him, dood.
    We are talking about domination magic, specifically designed to dominate someone's mind and body. A magic so powerful it was thought to be strong enough to bind the Jailer himself and probably did for eons until he figured out how to use it himself. And even then Anduin broke free for a few seconds.

Also, of course he left. He doesn't want to deal in the Faction War. Why would he? He's the Guardian. He shouldn't give two shits about it. His "friends" also don't like the war, outside of Turalyon and Alleria. Velen retired, and Illidan's slapping Sargeras' stupid fuckin face right now.
    1) He is NOT the Guardian, he very clearly and decidely did not take that mantle up in one of the Legion per-launch stories.

2) I am mostly talking of Turalyon and Alleria, who were his treasured friends from the Second War. He was so happy when we found them on Argus and now he doesn't give a shit if they get killed by the Banshee?

3) It might have started as a normal faction war, but after Teldrassil there was a very clear right side and wrong side to the conflict. Him not being able to tell which is which despite one of the most heinous genocides of the planet's history commited out in the open, is either a sign of cowardice or stupidity.

Luckily we had Jaina for magical support or the whole world might have fallen to the Banshee while the "Guardian" was sipping tea in his literal ivory tower.

- - - Updated - - -

Something like that. I mean he was stuck on Outland till BC which makes sense, but now there really isn't any excuse.

The most annoying part is how he came back in Legion, simply decided to allow the Horde back into Dalaran, brushed aside Jaina's warning and stole her spot on the Council.
    Only for Jaina to be proven completely correct immediatedly after the Legion's defeat and him running off instead of helping his people.

Like... what is a mental breakdown?
    What is a mental progression?

Where's the line to cross?

One can have a mental breakdown and return stronger and/or changed. That person doesn't have to be strong mentally, s/he is just changed. Did Jaina break or just change? Are you mentally strong if you don't change even when proven that your ways are flawed? What is strenght?

This seem so difficult to measure characters (or people for that matter) against eachother.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

5+ Year Old Account
    Algalon. A perfect recepture for mental breakdown. Use logic.

"1) He is NOT the Guardian, he very clearly and decidely did not take that mantle up in one of the Legion per-launch stories."

Yeah, you definitely didn't play Legion.

Medivh calls Khadgar the Guardian due to his heart, and courage, hell he even calls Khadgar a far greater guardian than he ever was. Power alone does not make one the guardian of Azeroth. That was legit the whole point of Medivh's speech to Khadgar here. Even Khadgar's thankful, and speechless after listening to Medivh's guardian statement.

- - - Updated - - -

We are talking about domination magic, specifically designed to dominate someone's mind and body. A magic so powerful it was thought to be strong enough to bind the Jailer himself and probably did for eons until he figured out how to use it himself. And even then Anduin broke free for a few seconds.

1) He is NOT the Guardian, he very clearly and decidely did not take that mantle up in one of the Legion per-launch stories.

2) I am mostly talking of Turalyon and Alleria, who were his treasured friends from the Second War. He was so happy when we found them on Argus and now he doesn't give a shit if they get killed by the Banshee?

3) It might have started as a normal faction war, but after Teldrassil there was a very clear right side and wrong side to the conflict. Him not being able to tell which is which despite one of the most heinous genocides of the planet's history commited out in the open, is either a sign of cowardice or stupidity.

Luckily we had Jaina for magical support or the whole world might have fallen to the Banshee while the "Guardian" was sipping tea in his literal ivory tower.

- - - Updated - - -

Something like that. I mean he was stuck on Outland till BC which makes sense, but now there really isn't any excuse.

The most annoying part is how he came back in Legion, simply decided to allow the Horde back into Dalaran, brushed aside Jaina's warning and stole her spot on the Council.
    Only for Jaina to be proven completely correct immediatedly after the Legion's defeat and him running off instead of helping his people.
    He never really "broke free" of the Domination Magics for a bit, it's more or less just the magics dying down a bit so that Anduin would look at what he's done, only for the Jailer to just claim he back without effort. The dude's clearly not controlling shit here. The Jailer's mind fucking him.

Regarding Khadgar (Outside of the guardian shit, which I already talked about in my post just a lil bit above)

1. Khadgar, as the guardian, is not supposed to take sides. He doesn't give two shits if his friends take arms, as he's not only gone through enough shit as it is, but he's also supposed to stay neutral, no matter what. I'm sure he wishes Alleria and Turalyon good health, but shit's changed, and Khadgar's done.

2. The Alliance also fucked up on multiple things such as the Forsaken and Human reunion, Lordaeron, etc. Sure, Teldrassil is a scar that's not only a Sylvanas thing, but is also a general Horde thing, but both factions were at each-others throats prior to that event. It's not as "1 sided" as you think. The Alliance is not "good" here. They still wanted to weaponize Azeroth's blood against the Horde. Like, the fuck? No.

3. Jaina's the most powerful mortal mage on Azeroth right next to Khadgar (Unless you wanna count the Player Character Mage, which is debatable, and we'd have to apply their borrowed power into this aswell in order to scale them above Jaina), so of course she'd be of massive help. She also isn't the Guardian, and is not apart of the Kirin Tor anymore. :/ So...

Oh, and Khadgar wasn't "sipping tea". He was tryna help heal the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "1) He is NOT the Guardian, he very clearly and decidely did not take that mantle up in one of the Legion per-launch stories."

Yeah, you definitely didn't play Legion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6IauRbUbs

Medivh calls Khadgar the Guardian due to his heart, and courage, hell he even calls Khadgar a far greater guardian than he ever was. Power alone does not make one the guardian of Azeroth. That was legit the whole point of Medivh's speech to Khadgar here. Even Khadgar's thankful, and speechless after listening to Medivh's guardian statement.
    Depends on how you define "being the Guardian" on a technical or performative level. Khadgar isn't the Guardian in the sense that he was never given the investment of a Council of Tirisfal that would dramatically increase his powers in the same way Alodi, Scavell, Aegwynn, and Medivh were (an investment that was originalled "the Spearhead" before the position of Guardian was formally enshrined as per The First Guardian). But Khadgar does perform the role of the Guardian when it comes to safeguarding Azeroth from external threats such as the Legion and the Iron Horde, and that is why Medivh gives him the title as an honor: even without the investment and protection of the Spearhead, Khadgar serves in the role in a way no one else will. In that sense, he definitely qualifies as the Guardian.

Whether the power or the job itself defines the Guardian is an open and debatable question, although I personally side with Medivh on this one and feel that the title goes to the one who does the job, whether or not they've been granted additional powers.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Depends on how you define "being the Guardian" on a technical or performative level. Khadgar isn't the Guardian in the sense that he was never given the investment of a Council of Tirisfal that would dramatically increase his powers in the same way Alodi, Scavell, Aegwynn, and Medivh were (an investment that was originalled "the Spearhead" before the position of Guardian was formally enshrined as per The First Guardian). But Khadgar does perform the role of the Guardian when it comes to safeguarding Azeroth from external threats such as the Legion and the Iron Horde, and that is why Medivh gives him the title as an honor: even without the investment and protection of the Spearhead, Khadgar serves in the role in a way no one else will. In that sense, he definitely qualifies as the Guardian.

Whether the power or the job itself defines the Guardian is an open and debatable question, although I personally side with Medivh on this one and feel that the title goes to the one who does the job, whether or not they've been granted additional powers.
    Yeah, it's not really a power thing to become the Guardian (Was more or less just a benefit to becoming the Guardian), and the Council of Tirisfal is kinda dead atm. Khadgar wielded Atiesh anyway, so it would've been weird for Khadgar not to have been Guardian, in my eyes. I'm glad Medivh gave the title of Guardian to Khadgar as an honor (Or might I add a promotion). Was pretty fuckin cool seeing that occur.

But yeah, title wise, Khadgar should be the Guardian, even if he didn't get promoted the traditional way.

Illidan.
    Losing the love of his life to his own twin brother and being imprisoned for ten thousand years knowing they are together. Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    Illidan.
    Losing the love of his life to his own twin brother and being imprisoned for ten thousand years knowing they are together. Come on...
    And he STILL ended up winning in the end, while Tyrande and Malfurion are suffering right now.

Lol.

5 pages and no one has mentioned Alleria and the Void elves yet, the first mortals in the history of the cosmos to successfully defy the shadows' whispers, after rigorous mental training.

But imagine putting Thrall on the list, the guy who is so weak mentally that the elements have abandoned him like the weakling he is.

Or Jaina, the fool who constantly swaps between peace and war, such mental fortitude!

Stay classy, MMO-Champion.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!