Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Odd that they didn't include Johnny Cage, a core character of the MK-verse since the beginning... "unsavory for a white hero to save mankind"... no, he's part of a group!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-03-19 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...ng-johnny-cage

Interview with producer and on Johnny Cage :

"Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone. (Tan is mixed-race Chinese-British.) In Mortal Kombat lore, Johnny Cage is a Hollywood star who enters the tournament to prove he isn’t a pampered, spoiled A-lister. While Cage is rarely the capital-H hero in any given Mortal Kombat game, he is always somewhere near the center bringing levity to the serious stakes.

Garner didn’t confirm the precise whereabouts of Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat (his name came up a few times during the interview) but his absence thus far suggests the filmmakers are trying something different.

“I feel like if I was getting to make a movie with a diverse cast, it felt weird to have a white actor, literally Johnny Cage, be the hero of the story,” Garner says, adding that these discussions took place at the start of the movie’s pre-production nearly seven years ago “way before Black Lives Matter” and other pushes for diversity across industries including Hollywood. "

--------

Doesn't make any sense, they just had to make Liu Kang the main protagonist (as it should be tbh) instead of introducing a new character that's half chinese, half british. "We don't want a white main hero...but we also don't want a full on chinese male hero so let's go in between." :facepalm:
    Fucking hell this is when being woke goes too far! Imagine having every single OG character but exclude one because hes a white guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    no Kitana, Johnny Cage, Goro, Reptile, Shao Kahn
    It's been confirmed Goro is in it.

https://youtu.be/qSyT3XAFcSQ?t=22

Right after Scorpion at about 22s into this clip.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kals View Post
    It's been confirmed Goro is in it.

https://youtu.be/qSyT3XAFcSQ?t=22

Right after Scorpion at about 22s into this clip.
    ah he's not on the wiki page. still, my point stands - lots of characters available for a sequel.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Doesn't make any sense, they just had to make Liu Kang the main protagonist (as it should be tbh) instead of introducing a new character that's half chinese, half british. "We don't want a white main hero...but we also don't want a full on chinese male hero so let's go in between." :facepalm:
    They explain exactly why they went with a new character and not liu king, did you not read your own link or did you just see race mentioned and blanked out the rest so you could be upset?

But Cole Young isn’t far behind.

For the filmmakers, Cole solves several narrative problems at once. First, as a fresh face, he is the one character on the screen asking the same questions audiences of all stripes will have about Mortal Kombat.

“You have to go into [making] it knowing there are hardcore fans who know every single thing. But you have to be realistic,” Garner says. “If you’ve ever taken your mom to a movie and she’s like ‘What’s happening?’ and you’re like, ‘Mom, shut the fuck up.’ That’s the problem with Mortal Kombat. It’s so goddamn complicated. Cole asks the questions, ‘Who? What’s happening?’ and he gets the answers.”

Another problem is that the filmmakers had “a very specific story we wanted to tell.” Garner wouldn’t specify what that story is exactly (“You’ll see when you see the movie,” he says), but it was a story “we felt it important be told.” And a blank slate like Cole Young was the ideal vehicle for that story. As the filmmakers wanted to please fans of the 30-year-old franchise, they simply couldn’t rewrite the mythology of a character fans already know.

“There are a lot of characters in the Mortal Kombat universe,” says Garner. “And there’s no character I could take and dust off and give a new backstory. We needed somebody to completely manipulate, so there’s not 30 years of people going ‘You can’t do that.’”
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    So much this ....
    "lets make Liu Kang main hero? .... nah"
    "lets add Johnny Cage, since people love him and want to see him in movie ... nah"
    "Oooo lets add random new character that no one gives a fuck, surely our film gonna make a millions"
    More like, “we want to tell a new story let’s make a new character instead of changing a past one.”

In other words exactly what they did in deception with Shujinko and Armageddon with Tavan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    maybe they wanted to focus on Liu Kang and others first. I am sure if this film is a success (here's hoping) that we will see Johnny Cage in a sequel. That's the problem with the Mortal Kombat universe; there are so many characters you can't include all of them. This one has 12 named characters already; no Kitana, Johnny Cage, Goro, Reptile, Shao Kahn amongst the cast list. I would definitely wager that they are saving some characters for a possible second movie
    This is what they said they want to do make a bunch of movies and explore the roster a lot more with them.

But just because people’s favorite characters aren’t in Mortal Kombat doesn’t mean they won’t ever appear onscreen. “We don’t want to disappoint the fans,” Garner says. “That being said, there’s no possible way to make a movie where everybody gets what they want.”

But perhaps that’s something that can change in the future, should the film land with authority, paving the way for a Mortal Kombat Universe. And before you start joking about “SonyaVision,” just know, Garner is one step ahead.

“I would make WandaVision for Liu Kang and Kung Lao,” he says. “I would do a Stryker movie. I would do a Sonya and Jax movie and make it like Black Hawk Down. I’m not trying to fight fans. There’s legitimate reasons we did everything.”
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Fucking hell this is when being woke goes too far! Imagine having every single OG character but exclude one because hes a white guy.
    Given how the interview is framed they were
    Likely asked why not make Johnny the main character which came down to them not wanting to massively change characters for this story when they can just make a new character and not to avoid have a white savour.

His absence in the movie has nothing to do with him being white and every thing to do with what there doing with Kano as a different interview says.

“The reason we held back Johnny Cage is he is a very egotistical guy. He’s a scoundrel. He’s funny. He’s bigger than life… and so is Kano,” producer Todd Garner had said during a presser, picked up by Gamespot. “So you go, ‘Alright, are we gonna just gonna have two guys competing to [see who can] out-funny each other and out-ego each other in this movie? Or do you hold Johnny Cage back?
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.vg24...bat-movie/amp/
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-19 at 04:34 PM.

"Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone. (Tan is mixed-race Chinese-British.) In Mortal Kombat lore, Johnny Cage is a Hollywood star who enters the tournament to prove he isn’t a pampered, spoiled A-lister. While Cage is rarely the capital-H hero in any given Mortal Kombat game, he is always somewhere near the center bringing levity to the serious stakes.

Garner didn’t confirm the precise whereabouts of Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat (his name came up a few times during the interview) but his absence thus far suggests the filmmakers are trying something different.

“I feel like if I was getting to make a movie with a diverse cast, it felt weird to have a white actor, literally Johnny Cage, be the hero of the story,” Garner says, adding that these discussions took place at the start of the movie’s pre-production nearly seven years ago “way before Black Lives Matter” and other pushes for diversity across industries including Hollywood. "

--------

You're joking right? This is a real interview? Forgot about not having interest in the movie, I'm just going to boycott it completely.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You're joking right? This is a real interview? Forgot about not having interest in the movie, I'm just going to boycott it completely.
    Imagine if every non-white person boycotted every movie because the hero of the story wasn't from their race.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Imagine if every non-white person boycotted every movie because the hero of the story wasn't from their race.
    Imagine taking a story that already exists, and cutting one of the core members of a team (never once have I thought of Johnny Cage as the primary hero, if it was any character it was Liu Kang, but I always viewed it as a team of heroes than 1 hero) because he is white.

I would expect people to get pissed and boycott it, much the same reason I have never see several films that use white leads in places they shouldn't (including the Matt Daemon wall of China film, Ghost in the Shell with Scar Jo, and several others. Not to say you can't have a white lead in a foriegn country, because while it isn't exactly accurate I really enjoyed The Last Samurai, but that's also because Ken Watanabe was amazing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    But that's not what happened. They specifically cut him out because of his race.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Imagine taking a story that already exists, and cutting one of the core members of a team (never once have I thought of Johnny Cage as the primary hero, if it was any character it was Liu Kang, but I always viewed it as a team of heroes than 1 hero) because he is white.

I would expect people to get pissed and boycott it, much the same reason I have never see several films that use white leads in places they shouldn't (including the Matt Daemon wall of China film, Ghost in the Shell with Scar Jo, and several others. Not to say you can't have a white lead in a foriegn country, because while it isn't exactly accurate I really enjoyed The Last Samurai, but that's also because Ken Watanabe was amazing).
    they aren't taking a story that already exist though. you can already tell from the roster that the story is different then MK1 or 9. they want a fresh hero to do a fresh story with and didn't want to use both kana and Johnny as they would be filling pretty much the same funny man role. the interview in question is all about the main character Johnny isn't being excluded from the movie for being white he's only being excluded from the main role and that isn't even the first or only reason given in the interview as to why.

- - - Updated - - -

But that's not what happened. They specifically cut him out because of his race.
    that is exactly what happened he wasn't cut from the movie because of his race he was just excluded from the main role for a number of reasons.
    “The reason we held back Johnny Cage is he is a very egotistical guy. He’s a scoundrel. He’s funny. He’s bigger than life… and so is Kano,” producer Todd Garner had said during a presser, picked up by Gamespot. “So you go, ‘Alright, are we gonna just gonna have two guys competing to [see who can] out-funny each other and out-ego each other in this movie? Or do you hold Johnny Cage back?
    go read the first interview its about the main character not about why he isn't in the movie.

Imagine removing a well known character solely because of race

And since when was cage ever the main focus. These guys are truly idiotic. Should of just re rolled him into another race if they were so worried about it smh dudes, so disappointing to hear the missing character confirmed exclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I somehow missed Cole being half Chinese and half British.

Cole being basically Kuai Liang just makes more sense now, especially when they stated they have a very specific story planned for him. I think Kuai Liang, or second Sub-Zero, was originally depicted as half American and half Chinese to explain his more caucasian look:

But Cole Young isn’t far behind.

For the filmmakers, Cole solves several narrative problems at once. First, as a fresh face, he is the one character on the screen asking the same questions audiences of all stripes will have about Mortal Kombat.

“You have to go into [making] it knowing there are hardcore fans who know every single thing. But you have to be realistic,” Garner says. “If you’ve ever taken your mom to a movie and she’s like ‘What’s happening?’ and you’re like, ‘Mom, shut the fuck up.’ That’s the problem with Mortal Kombat. It’s so goddamn complicated. Cole asks the questions, ‘Who? What’s happening?’ and he gets the answers.”

Another problem is that the filmmakers had “a very specific story we wanted to tell.” Garner wouldn’t specify what that story is exactly (“You’ll see when you see the movie,” he says), but it was a story “we felt it important be told.” And a blank slate like Cole Young was the ideal vehicle for that story. As the filmmakers wanted to please fans of the 30-year-old franchise, they simply couldn’t rewrite the mythology of a character fans already know.

“There are a lot of characters in the Mortal Kombat universe,” says Garner. “And there’s no character I could take and dust off and give a new backstory. We needed somebody to completely manipulate, so there’s not 30 years of people going ‘You can’t do that.’”

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Imagine needing Johnny Cage in a Mortal Kombat movie to make you see it. A character they literally say they're saving for a sequel. How incredibly sad.

Sure is a shame MK doesn't have a huge fucking plethora of far more interesting characters they could use. Oh... seems they do. That's handy.
    Because this movie is 1000000000000000000000000% getting a sequel, just like the Warcraft movie did right?

"im putting him on the sequel" its the easiest cop-out for when the movies does terrible, gets no sequel, and the director blames it on people for not watching it

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...-cage-absence/
    "I want to make a sequel, and I've now got Johnny Cage, which hasn't been used in the first one," Garner said (via Comicbook.com).

"So I have a big stick and carrot that maybe they'll let me have a Johnny Cage real presence in the second one. And secondarily, when you think about Mortal Kombat, if you just think about the patina of the movie, it has a very Asian feel to it. And I early on felt uncomfortable having a white male lead kind of lead that charge in the first movie."

Such outrage, much trigger.

He thinks Cage is such an important character that he wants him to have time to shine, and not overshadow the other characters right off the bat.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Who says it won't? Except you, probably because you wanna have a whinge.

If the movie is bad, it won't be because they didn't include Johnny Cage. Jesus wept. What you gonna miss, some random jokes?
    nan we won't even miss some random joke's as that's kano's roll the only thing well miss is some one acting like an actor.

10+ Year Old Account

--------

This is so tiresome "must adjust the movie to the agenda, must self-censor"

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    This is so tiresome "must adjust the movie to the agenda, must self-censor"
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...-cage-absence/

"I want to make a sequel, and I've now got Johnny Cage, which hasn't been used in the first one," Garner said (via Comicbook.com).

"So I have a big stick and carrot that maybe they'll let me have a Johnny Cage real presence in the second one. And secondarily, when you think about Mortal Kombat, if you just think about the patina of the movie, it has a very Asian feel to it. And I early on felt uncomfortable having a white male lead kind of lead that charge in the first movie."

The movie still has some major characters, including some who are similar to Cage. If it was solely because of his race, then you might have a case. but that is not the case at all

Whole character of Cage is a spoiled white kid getting over himself and becoming a better person, meanwhile diversity can't have even GOOD white characters in films anymore.
    Its a skip for me even as a fan not supporting sjw trash is my goto... maybe before i die companies will understand go woke, go broke.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayia View Post
    Whole character of Cage is a spoiled white kid getting over himself and becoming a better person, meanwhile diversity can't have even GOOD white characters in films anymore.
    Its a skip for me even as a fan not supporting sjw trash is my goto... maybe before i die companies will understand go woke, go broke.
    YA the total lack of white people is Unacceptable! oh wait kano is in the movie...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    YA the total lack of white people is Unacceptable! oh wait kano is in the movie...
    Compering Johnny Cage to Kano its like comparing Superman to Rainbow raider.

.... if i was fan of rapist wonabe Kano, i would killed myself. (lmao)

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2021-03-19 at 10:41 PM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.