Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Compering Johnny Cage to Kano its like comparing Superman to Rainbow raider.

.... if i was fan of rapist wonabe Kano, i would killed myself. (lmao)
    The complaint is that white people aren't allowed, last time I checked Australian's still count as white mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...-cage-absence/

"I want to make a sequel, and I've now got Johnny Cage, which hasn't been used in the first one," Garner said (via Comicbook.com).

"So I have a big stick and carrot that maybe they'll let me have a Johnny Cage real presence in the second one. And secondarily, when you think about Mortal Kombat, if you just think about the patina of the movie, it has a very Asian feel to it. And I early on felt uncomfortable having a white male lead kind of lead that charge in the first movie."

The movie still has some major characters, including some who are similar to Cage. If it was solely because of his race, then you might have a case. but that is not the case at all
    It apears to me that was solely because of race but then they had too come up with this excuse to do some damage control. And i'm painfully aware films like this rarely get a sequel.

And don't even get me started about the possibility of Stryker's appearance in the movie, especially with his signature one-liner

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Compering Johnny Cage to Kano its like comparing Superman to Rainbow raider.

.... if i was fan of rapist wonabe Kano, i would killed myself. (lmao)
    Who is actually an unironic fan of Johhny Cage though? He sucks and is a windbag and an overall piece of shit, that's the whole point of his character.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    It apears to me that was solely because of race but then they had too come up with this excuse to do some damage control. And i'm painfully aware films like this rarely get a sequel.

And don't even get me started about the possibility of Stryker's appearance in the movie, especially with his signature one-liner
    it being solely based of race doesn't even make sense as they have kano filling the funny guy role and he's just as white as johnny. they might have had race in mind when it came to who would be the lead but it obviously isn't why he's not in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    YA the total lack of white people is Unacceptable! oh wait kano is in the movie...
    Lol, the only white guy is a criminal asshole. Looks about right given the new Hollywood culture.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Lol, the only white guy is a criminal asshole. Looks about right given the new Hollywood culture.
    ah yes because the role of mass murdering assassin or evil world ending threat are noble positions that only the righteous minority's can fill! at best you can say jax get's a pass if you want to break stuff down into overly simplified stupid race roles but no one else does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Makes more sense than fucking Christopher Lambert playing a Japanese thunder god. Oh wait, it's Mortal Kombat and nothing matters, the characters are all nonsensical anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    it being solely based of race doesn't even make sense as they have kano filling the funny guy role and he's just as white as johnny. they might have had race in mind when it came to who would be the lead but it obviously isn't why he's not in the movie.
    They shitted on the original game character that belongs there just to squeeze in the piece of agenda and literally named the reason in the interview. Mark my words, the next time someone does Lord of the Rings, Aragorn would magically be Haradrimean

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...ng-johnny-cage

Interview with producer and on Johnny Cage :

"Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone. (Tan is mixed-race Chinese-British.) In Mortal Kombat lore, Johnny Cage is a Hollywood star who enters the tournament to prove he isn’t a pampered, spoiled A-lister. While Cage is rarely the capital-H hero in any given Mortal Kombat game, he is always somewhere near the center bringing levity to the serious stakes.

Garner didn’t confirm the precise whereabouts of Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat (his name came up a few times during the interview) but his absence thus far suggests the filmmakers are trying something different.

“I feel like if I was getting to make a movie with a diverse cast, it felt weird to have a white actor, literally Johnny Cage, be the hero of the story,” Garner says, adding that these discussions took place at the start of the movie’s pre-production nearly seven years ago “way before Black Lives Matter” and other pushes for diversity across industries including Hollywood. "

--------

Doesn't make any sense, they just had to make Liu Kang the main protagonist (as it should be tbh) instead of introducing a new character that's half chinese, half british. "We don't want a white main hero...but we also don't want a full on chinese male hero so let's go in between." :facepalm:
    What the hell is he on about? Cage was never the hero, neither in games nor movies. In the 90's flick he was both a supporting character and the comic relief, while Liu Kang carried the protagonist's mantle. Are these guys not familiar with the source material?

For what it's worth, Lewis Tan is a fine actor for the part they described, so I don't think it will ruin the movie, but in principle shit like this irks me. A lot.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    They shitted on the original game character that belongs there just to squeeze in the piece of agenda and literally named the reason in the interview. Mark my words, the next time someone does Lord of the Rings, Aragorn would magically be Haradrimean
    Is Johnny being white as important as Aragorn being of Numénorean descent? Not even close but nice try.

PS: Aragorn in the movies already looks nothing like he's supposed to in the books.

7+ Year Old Account
    you didn't read the full interview did you? the interview wasn't about why Johnny wasn't in the movie it was all about why they won't with a new character instead of using an old one. Johnny's race had nothing to do with him not being in the movie it was only one of multiple factors why he wasn't made the main character.

10+ Year Old Account
    you didn't read the full interview did you? the interview wasn't about why Johnny wasn't in the movie it was all about why they won't with a new character instead of using an old one. Johnny's race had nothing to do with him not being in the movie it was only one of multiple factors why he wasn't made the main character.
    Which shouldn't be surprising because he's literally never been a main character. He's as secondary as Sonya.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    What the hell is he on about? Cage was never the hero, neither in games nor movies. In the 90's flick he was both a supporting character and the comic relief, while Liu Kang carried the protagonist's mantle. Are these guys not familiar with the source material?

For what it's worth, Lewis Tan is a fine actor for the part they described, so I don't think it will ruin the movie, but in principle shit like this irks me. A lot.
    the interview's about why cole is the lead they aren't saying Johnny was the hero in the game's there laying out why they wouldn't just replace cole with him and call it a day but all of the further context of the interview was left out of the quotes posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post

That's pretty much my take on it. It's like they are making a film on an IP they have no clue about, if nothing else for the original game and film. But as predicted, watch people bending over backwards to say it's nothing and all it's fine.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Which shouldn't be surprising because he's literally never been a main character. He's as secondary as Sonya.
    Ya no one should be surprised, but also no one is going to go to the actual link and read that they chose cole so they could have a fresh view and not massively change the back story of an existing MK character there just gonna read that one out of context quote about race and get upset.

Ya no one should be surprised, but also no one is going to go to the actual link and read that they chose cole so they could have a fresh view and not massively change the back story of an existing MK character there just gonna read that one out of context quote about race and get upset.
    If only they could do both at the same time, if only

10+ Year Old Account
    Is Johnny being white as important as Aragorn being of Numénorean descent? Not even close but nice try.
    It's not about Johnny being white, it's about Johnny being in the movie there he belongs, not replaced by a random literally who

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    If only they could do both at the same time, if only
    they could do both at the same time but as quotes from different interviews show they wasn't to avoid an ego class between both Kano and Johnny being the comic relief and would like to give Johnny a bigger role if they can do more after this movie.

“The reason we held back Johnny Cage is he is a very egotistical guy. He’s a scoundrel. He’s funny. He’s bigger than life… and so is Kano,” producer Todd Garner had said during a presser, picked up by Gamespot. “So you go, ‘Alright, are we gonna just gonna have two guys competing to [see who can] out-funny each other and out-ego each other in this movie? Or do you hold Johnny Cage back?
    "I want to make a sequel, and I've now got Johnny Cage, which hasn't been used in the first one," Garner said (via Comicbook.com).

"So I have a big stick and carrot that maybe they'll let me have a Johnny Cage real presence in the second one. And secondarily, when you think about Mortal Kombat, if you just think about the patina of the movie, it has a very Asian feel to it. And I early on felt uncomfortable having a white male lead kind of lead that charge in the first movie."

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about Johnny being white, it's about Johnny being in the movie there he belongs, not replaced by a random literally who
    I trust you'll be just as pissed when they don't include other OG characters like Baraka and Kitana?

Probs not.

Makes more sense than fucking Christopher Lambert playing a Japanese thunder god. Oh wait, it's Mortal Kombat and nothing matters, the characters are all nonsensical anyways.
    As much sense as Indian/Asian Kitana with Caucasian parents.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2021-03-19 at 10:29 PM.