Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Making a case for "anti-healing" in WoW.

Picture this. You're an Alchemist class or something, with elixirs and potions and whatnot.

You're a damage dealer.
    But almost none of your damage is direct. You have a pet, they fight, and you cast spells on them that increase their damage by flat amounts. Spells that target enemies give reverse-absorb shields that increase damage taken by X% until the absorb is expended.

Then your next spec is a healer.
    But almost none of your healing is direct. You cast spells on areas to prevent incoming damage, and on enemies to reduce their damage.

This is an amazing idea I had all by myself and you can thank me now.

Picture this; No. Buff bot classes/specs had their chance in vanilla, and the game didn't go in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Picture this; No. Buff bot classes/specs had their chance in vanilla, and the game didn't go in that direction.
    A buff bot is a lot less interactive than a healer like this

Youd have to juggle absorbs on different enemies and areas, youve got a basic heal that gives absorb shields on allies, maybe some movement mechanics like Monks with their glowy orbz

So a disc priest then?

So you want a damage spec that is basically just BM Hunter and instead of damaging abilities you just amplify damage taken which sounds both horrible and boring.

And then you want a healing spec that requires players to stand in certain positions but also that reduces enemy damage which literally can't work because it would either be irrelevant on bosses or trivialize all other content in the game.

Sounds like you didn't put a whole lot of thought into either of these...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rioriel View Post
    What about the third, anti-tank spec? You yell "Stop hitting yourself" as you hold the boss's arm and punch it in the face with their own hand, and shout "go on then... attack all the others just like I want you to" at the spawned mobs and taunt them all with reverse-psychology.
    If I'm not mistaken, you are proposing something akin to Abathur in HotS, aka a pure buffer/debuffer class. I don't think it could work in the current scene of WoW, since those buffs/debuffs would either be too weak compared more traditional healers/DDs (and thus rejected from group play, at least at more or less high levels) or too strong, in which case they would be mandatory in high level of play. Something akin to what's been happening with Disc priests, but to a much greater degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    A buff bot is a lot less interactive than a healer like this

Youd have to juggle absorbs on different enemies and areas, youve got a basic heal that gives absorb shields on allies, maybe some movement mechanics like Monks with their glowy orbz
    Play disc priest if that's what you want, because it's the closest the game will ever have. Or play Rift or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absorb shields didn't work out with Discs - Blizzard and the community deemed a pure absorb-based healing class to be far too OP, so thats why Disc is now less about absorbs (Compared to MoP days in which they were 100% absorbs) and more about dealing damage to heal, with some small slight emphasis on absorbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Play disc priest if that's what you want, because it's the closest the game will ever have. Or play Rift or something.
    This is a joke thread poking fun at Teriz's "Ranged Tanking" thread.

sounds like a bard

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Disc priest has operated this way for several expansions over the life of WoW.

Force Field powerset in City of Heroes existed a good year before WoW came out.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Disc priest has operated this way for several expansions over the life of WoW.

Force Field powerset in City of Heroes existed a good year before WoW came out.
    But like, I'm not talking about absorb shields on allies. I'm talking about putting them on enemies and areas to reduce outgoing damage, not incoming

Also City of Heroes was the bomb.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's sad this game never figured out a way to do something similar to the enchanter or the bard from Everquest. I always thought those type of characters were super cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even frequent those threads and even I can tell this is a parody of the tinker threads

Quote Originally Posted by Rioriel View Post
    What about the third, anti-tank spec? You yell "Stop hitting yourself" as you hold the boss's arm and punch it in the face with their own hand, and shout "go on then... attack all the others just like I want you to" at the spawned mobs and taunt them all with reverse-psychology.
    The thought of a gnome tank doing this to some massive boss like Ragnaros just gives me the giggles.

Especially if there's a "tier 1" of the attack when it's like Gob in Arrested Development doing it to Buster, and a "tier 2/berzerk/lust/hero" level where Buster flips out and starts doing it back to Gob as adults.

Sounds boring and will be either OP or won't be able to prevent deaths.

Might as well just make damage spells be able to be cast on friendly targets and instead of doing damage they do healing and apply shields .. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    It's sad this game never figured out a way to do something similar to the enchanter or the bard from Everquest. I always thought those type of characters were super cool.
    Maybe because it's a different game?

Picture this. You're an Alchemist class or something, with elixirs and potions and whatnot.

You're a damage dealer.
    But almost none of your damage is direct. You have a pet, they fight, and you cast spells on them that increase their damage by flat amounts. Spells that target enemies give reverse-absorb shields that increase damage taken by X% until the absorb is expended.

Then your next spec is a healer.
    But almost none of your healing is direct. You cast spells on areas to prevent incoming damage, and on enemies to reduce their damage.

This is an amazing idea I had all by myself and you can thank me now.
    So basically a disc priest? Or actually I am pretty sure that every healer has some kind of absorb, buff or whatever.

Honestly, pretty stupid thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I don't even frequent those threads and even I can tell this is a parody of the tinker threads
    Well that makes this whole thread even more dumber. Imagine being this childish that you mock someone, because their opinions trigger you...

But like, I'm not talking about absorb shields on allies. I'm talking about putting them on enemies and areas to reduce outgoing damage, not incoming
    Disc Priest does that aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Well that makes this whole thread even more dumber. Imagine being this childish that you mock someone, because their opinions trigger you...
    Triggers more than just the OP given how often he keeps getting himself banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    but that reduces enemy damage which literally can't work because it would either be irrelevant on bosses or trivialize all other content in the game.

Sounds like you didn't put a whole lot of thought into either of these...
    Nah, it wouldn't be broken. So, Rejuvenation is "Heals the target for (116% of Spell power) over 12 sec."

So the equivalent alchemist healing spell would be tossing a vial at a target, giving them a -50% damage debuff, which only lasts until (116% of Spell power) has been absorbed. And a version that can splash to multiple enemies, just dividing the number between them. You're still "healing" the same amount of damage, the target's just different.

They can have some normal absorby heals too.