Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The best course of action is to buy an apartment and rent it out. That way your money is always safe. Even if the economy collapses, people will still need places to live. Not to mention the monthly rent way exceeds any interest the bank would pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    The best course of action is to buy an apartment and rent it out. That way your money is always safe. Even if the economy collapses, people will still need places to live. Not to mention the monthly rent way exceeds any interest the bank would pay you.
    Well there's always maintenance expenses, turnover, and vacancy. And the occasional delinquent you have to go go collections / the police for.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Well there's always maintenance expenses, turnover, and vacancy.
    Even that still beats keeping your money in a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Investing in precious metals is dumb tho.
    It's not even safe. If financial system gets fucked so much that Gold would be nice to have, you can be sure its possession will be outlawed. Just like the USA outlawed it from 1933-1974.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over 2 weeks ago invested a minute portion of my savings into crypto

Even that still beats keeping your money in a bank.
    Yeh but dealing with renters isn't always the "free money" people think it is. Don't get me wrong it can be very profitable, but there are many risks and expenses and your time involved managing it you have to take into account whether its worth it over just investing in VOO or VTI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both investing has layers nothing that requires long term success comes quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Not unless you're a slumlord, owning apartments and requires a lot more than an investment, and only then does it really pay.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I like how real estate is more tangible than owning stocks but it's not easy at first because you have to learn how to properly manage repairs/depreciation, screen applicants, and become savvy with paperwork and legal requirements. Especially in California.

These threads always confuse me though because I never know whether a person is talking about an investment of $2,000 or an investment of $200,000 which gives them more options.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-21 at 01:52 AM.

Mostly stock, professionally managed now. Some cash and some real estate. Done very well through the years. I think only George W didn't make me any money, but that crash wasn't totally his fault. Most memorable investment was 500 shares of Amazon when it first when public. I thought Bezos' business model was terrific. Wife called me out though, said I was stupid and made me sell. I remind her now and then.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandista View Post
    That's been the case for a long while but largely because of government subsidy keeping the property market afloat forever. One day government will not be able to do that. There's your problem-classic picking up pennies in front of a steamroller stuff.
    Penny pickers usually do ignore their larger problems but it's basically a myth that the government and the economy are not sustainable and that we're heading towards something terrible. We'll always need to do some course correction that will be slightly painful but the gloomy prophecies are highly over-exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    It's not even safe. If financial system gets fucked so much that Gold would be nice to have, you can be sure its possession will be outlawed. Just like the USA outlawed it from 1933-1974.
    yeah bro, I'm glad the war on drugs completely eradicated all drug related use, production and crime just like it did with gold back in the day.

401k and a generic stock portfolio. Majority is in ETFs that beat S&P500, others are somewhat "gamble" stocks that so far have made some gains.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of thee above.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeah I like how real estate is more tangible than owning stocks but it's not easy at first because you have to learn how to properly manage repairs/depreciation, screen applicants, and become savvy with paperwork and legal requirements. Especially in California.

These threads always confuse me though because I never know whether a person is talking about an investment of $2,000 or an investment of $200,000 which gives them more options.
    You forgot about the third kind of investment which is probably the most common. Simply chucking $500 - $1,000 a month into Roth IRA or 401k.

Average growth rate for standard IRA that follows index fund is around 10% per year plus 2% to 5% dividend. If the IRA is tech heavy, the growth should be closer to 17% + 2% to 3% dividend. FSCSX between capital gain and dividend has an annualized gain of 28.3% the last 10 years.

Don't forget the tax free part.