Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a know memory leak issue? Sometimes the game keeps freezing 1-2 seconds during exploring or fighting. As u can guess its pretty fucking annoying

Not to mention i installed it on SSD and the load times are still fucking HUGE

on the other topic how would u describe Solasta and pathfinder? Are they DnD system? Are they set in the Forgotten Realms universe? Do they have active pause?

My biggest gripes with BG3 is the turn based system. Even for a sleeping bugbear u need so many actions, therefore so much time instead of just clicking it once with all 6 of my team
    Another is the verticality of this game. Holy shit, its another pointless thing that actually takes away from the game like all the platforming in doom eternal did. I bought that to have fun killing shit, not to find my way out.
    At the top of that the camera is too... idk how to translate it..
    High above out heads. I see too fucking little especially with how evrrything is designed in this game. Pillars of eternity went with full 2d map, pathfinder has 3d, but still easy to spot things, know where to go.
    BG3 is just not clear enough

- - - Updated - - -

Is vulkan or directx the way to go?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I played, I ended up switching to DX - your stutter might be because of Vulcan, I had something of that sort.

I played Solasta, it's same turn based D&D 5e combat system, but of course it's made by some no name indie studio as first project with no budget, so it's much less detailed and it's also super linear so far.

I also played Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It has 2 modes you can choose - either realtime with pause or turn-based. It's a complete game and pretty great at that - the downside (which is super subjective), IMO, is that it uses Pathfinder system, which is basically D&D 3.5 cranked up. Way too many feats, abilities, options and so on with little to no guidance, so you can just drown in all that info making and progressing your character. You really need to hit the info there to have any sort of character plan there.

As I see it, BG3 will be amazing really - they really splurge on it, but I bet it will only come out 2022 if not 2023, because it's just so frikkin' huge and I really REALLY hope they won't do run out of steam last act like they initially did with D:OS2, where last act was undercooked and had to be touched up after launch over a year.

Solasta will be nothing more than yet another random Steam game that people might stumble upon and will play for a bit. It just does not have the epicness and it seems to be giga linear too, so I don't see much replay value.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker, is obviously a game that's out and imo is really good. They are bringing out new game this year with Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous, so I have high expectations there too.

10+ Year Old Account
    tried Pathfinder: Kingmaker (25hrs in) unfortunately i'm not enjoying it so going to give it up (despite the amazing class builder). I'm not a fan of the combat system (how does anyone find constantly missing fun?) and also the forced timer on the story.

Felt like there was way to much abilities that were situational (and with a limited number of casts you either have to be psychic to predict the fight or don't take anything but situational abilities and be useless 90% of the time..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    tried Pathfinder: Kingmaker (25hrs in) unfortunately i'm not enjoying it so going to give it up (despite the amazing class builder). I'm not a fan of the combat system (how does anyone find constantly missing fun?) and also the forced timer on the story.

Felt like there was way to much abilities that were situational (and with a limited number of casts you either have to be psychic to predict the fight or don't take anything but situational abilities and be useless 90% of the time..
    That's just standard D&D.

If you don't like the scheme nothing will change that.

You manage your limited resources between the rests and there is a ton of situational stuff with a few key workhorses.

It's all the same whether it's Pathfinder: Kingmaker, BG3 or Solasta.

I felt the same with kingmaker. Pillars of Eternity was even worse than that IMO. DOS and DOS2 are just so much better than either of those that they couldn't hold up. I thoroughly enjoyed the few hours of baldur's gate 3 I played, but I also quickly decided I liked it so much I didn't want to spoil anything else for my first true playthrough (which will be on a human paladin), so now I sit and wait patiently.

Two things; 1. there are options to modify the difficulty (missing attacks is part of the difficulty of D&D as a point of design) 2. You are missing likely because your characters are ill-suited for the encounter; bad build or you wandered into something way tougher.

I built a Duelist/Mage and duo'd with a Bard all of P:KM not that long ago and I was shredding through the game. My dude had an AC of like 40-something and 28 BAB (accuracy basically) that could cast spells alongside his melee attacks (spell & blade). The Bard was dropping megaton firebombs, sneak attack 4 times a round, and singing how great I was all in one go. Nothing could touch us either because we both could teleport at-will basically.

A good build and party composition are supposed to be the gameplay hook here. If you are missing all the time or feel like Armored Caster, Combat Expertise, Hold Person, or whatever are too situational it is because one may not be creating those situations to benefit their team/party.

BG3 is the same way too. It's still a Roll20 gameplay system with classes representing a particular gear (if you will) of a larger machine (the party). In this very thread are complaints about missing often in the BG3 EA and frustration over spell & ability use. That is the CRUX of this gameplay style; optimizing party and build compositions. It's the only gameplay, in fact, BG3/P:KM/etc roll dice for almost everything.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-03-14 at 06:24 PM.

If you're missing constantly, you're building your character wrong or doing something else severely wrong in combat.

Yes, that is a downside of D&D (in some versions more than others) that becomes acute at higher levels (+15). D&D mixes strategy (preparing for encounters) with tactics (using abilities and counters during an encounter) at lower levels. It's expected of you to find out where you're traveling to and preparing your spell selection and gear as best as you can.

In most D&D games the preparations for a fight become the single dominant factor at higher levels, pushing tactics completely off the board (and putting more focus on character builds). Mostly the blame falls with resting, to restore spells, being far too easy or spells becoming absurdly overpowered. It's why I dislike high level D&D.
    Last edited by Elkas; 2021-03-14 at 06:40 PM.

Well, in actual D&D high-level play is largely absurd as presented in the context of the rules.

Everyone is essentially engaging in combat while flying in the sky, invisible, the size of a hill giant with multiple copies of themselves whilst raining fireballs and summoning the nine hells to their aid and can't truly die because they are actually in the astral plane-of-whatever-the-fuckery-9th level-spells-brah.

And that's just the crummy single-class Wizard.

The Barabian is still raging though.

Yeah, it basically stop being about adventurers at 20th level and instead you become demigods.

10+ Year Old Account

Sorry to hear that after I recommended it to you. Hope you can get a refund or something. I feel like I owe you money now lol :P

Personally I enjoyed Kingmaker its a little rusty and its made by a small team, but their sequel looks to improve miles on their first game. So fingers crossed :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-03-14 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what about tyranny from the developers of pillars of eternity? is it good?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    I personally liked Tyranny more than Pillars of Eternity, but thats just me :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-03-15 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Sorry to hear that after I recommended it to you. Hope you can get a refund or something. I feel like I owe you money now lol :P

Personally I enjoyed Kingmaker its a little rusty and its made by a small team, but their sequel looks to improve miles on their first game. So fingers crossed :P
    Don't worry about it, had my monies worth just from the class creator tbh, think i spent at least 6 hours inside it :S

Also think going to reattempt playing it in a couple of weeks.. probably at an easier difficulty than "normal" was just infuriating seeing eg. the barbarian (and all npcs) always hit and always do like 30-50 damage and hitting like 80% of the time meanwhile my level 0 spells were doing 1-5 and level one spells doing 8 and hitting from 30% of the time...not exactly fun when you can only cast 5 spells a day while the barbarian can do unlimited swings (that was with a wizard with as much int and dex as he could get)

I think so, at least in terms of story. It is one of my favorite RPGs of recent years. Its gameplay is a little slow and has some quirky bits as to how you progress. But the gameplay in Tyranny is serviceable if not overly remarkable. They tried some different things, I do admire that in a certain sense.

The story is TERRIFIC in my opinion. It's very dark and supposes the concept of what if the bad guys actually win; what would the state of the world be like under the rule of an Absolute Tyrant? And you, the player, are the Arbiter of the Tyrant.

It is also set in what is basically the Bronze Age. Rather than like the more familiar fantasy Medieval Europe setting.

Tyranny really went for a different take on RPGs, I loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry about it, had my monies worth just from the class creator tbh, think i spent at least 6 hours inside it :S

Also think going to reattempt playing it in a couple of weeks.. probably at an easier difficulty than "normal" was just infuriating seeing eg. the barbarian (and all npcs) always hit and always do like 30-50 damage and hitting like 80% of the time meanwhile my level 0 spells were doing 1-5 and level one spells doing 8 and hitting from 30% of the time...not exactly fun when you can only cast 5 spells a day while the barbarian can do unlimited swings (that was with a wizard with as much int and dex as he could get)
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker has a robust modding scene that adds a lot to the game. Most of it is plug-n-play too. You can really customize the game and people come up with clever freestyle mods and also rules accurate mods.

Perhaps you might find something there to make the game more palpable to your liking should you ever want to go back to the game.

Int and Dex don't necessarily affect whether a Wizard's spells hit. Many spells hit automatically but are opposed by saving throws and resistance at times.

For example, that Barbarian or Fighter probably would be way easy to deal with if you made them save Vs. Wis; Then you can push them to the ground and slit their throats as they can't do a thing. Coup De Grace their asses.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-03-15 at 08:53 PM.

The story is good and it has a lot of player choice and reactivity alongside a moral compass far more complex than traditional good and evil, even by CRPG standards. For me, the good part ends there. It has a fairly unique setting that it doesn't use enough (IMO), the artstyle isn't that great, the characters are fairly meh apart from a handful of gems, and the gameplay is very meh, feeling like a strictly worse version of PoE with less interesting character building as well.

It's fairly cheap quite often so I'd still recommend giving it a try, but I think it got a fairly lukewarm reception for a reason. But if you play RPGs for the story, then you'll likely going to enjoy it.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account

well lowering the setting by one was night and day :s

Based on how long it took to get to just the first part of the curse at the higher difficulty it would have taken months to finish the game :S

Is Baldurs gate 3 finished yet? :s

7+ Year Old Account
    Is Baldurs gate 3 finished yet? :s
    The "BG3 scope surprised us" from last dev update does not bode well for any near release.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    The "BG3 scope surprised us" from last dev update does not bode well for any near release.
    BG3 is looking great but if it released in the next 12 months I can almost guarantee you there are significant flaws or bugs or the later acts didn't receive enough attention. If it comes out late 2022 or early in 2023 that wouldn't be surprising to me and it'd probably be one of the best games of the decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Araevin View Post
    I mean, you cannot really respec in any of the other BGs or in the pen n paper version. If you are playing on PC, I am fairly certain that people will find a way to save edit the game (I mean we can already break the party size limit).
    Luckily this isn't previous BG game or Pen 'n Paper, so respec would be great, at least to some degree (doesn't have to be completely changing everything like in Divinity 2, but at least something).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Luckily this isn't previous BG game or Pen 'n Paper, so respec would be great, at least to some degree (doesn't have to be completely changing everything like in Divinity 2, but at least something).
    Doesn't really matter how it was in the past, re-spec is a standard for nowadays RPG games. Not having it punishes new players and experimentation.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.