Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    but why would you have a paladin tank on kael'thas for example, when they can't reflect any of the damage, or even pyroblast if the interrupts fail.

paladins can tank all the content in tbc with the best gear in the game, no shit, really?

there is farrr to much gushing over the thinnest tank, but i'm sure ppl will see the difference themselves.

when you get your pala to 70, how long do you think its going to take you, to get a set of gear that is comparable to warrior t3? because at the end of the day, pala t3 is a healing set, so my bet is that a lot of palas will just be healers. with the gear I have on my warrior I probably won't have to farm that much gear to reach the point that I can tank karazhan, meanwhile a t3 pala or a pala who has just started, has an uphill climb to reach the same level of mitigation as a warrior.

I don't feel threatened by paladins and the gushing over them is hilarious. palas are amazing when they get all the best gear in the game 'oh really? you don't say.' lel. if only you had the best gear in the game the moment you dinged 70.

are you gunna wait for your pala alt, the guy who fucking rerolled, to gear up in heroics or are you going to take your naxx geared MT... how long are you willing to wait for these amazing paladins to take over tanking everything? because it aint happening the moment you hit 70. I won't need to farm normals for gear to tank heroics, I can focus entirely on the kara attunement dungeons and be ready in week 2. palas gunna have to be real lucky with their drops.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-03-23 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxxramas91 View Post
    Prot pallies can tank any boss in the game. Period..
    Of course I realize it, I literally said so in the post you just quoted that you didn't read.

That doesn't change that paladin takes 10% more damage than warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I don't feel threatened by paladins and the gushing over them is hilarious. palas are amazing when they get all the best gear in the game 'oh really? you don't say.' lel. if only you had the best gear in the game the moment you dinged 70.

are you gunna wait for your pala alt, the guy who fucking rerolled, to gear up in heroics or are you going to take your naxx geared MT... how long are you willing to wait for these amazing paladins to take over tanking everything? because it aint happening the moment you hit 70. I won't need to farm normals for gear to tank heroics, I can focus entirely on the kara attunement dungeons and be ready in week 2. palas gunna have to be real lucky with their drops.
    Personally I don't need any gear from heroic dungeons to tank t4 content, but you're completely right that warriors have paladins beat on most accounts during the initial weeks of this expansion and are then completely overtaken by paladins by mid t4 and will probably continue to be so until the end of tbc.

This doesn't speak to druids at all though, who is without a doubt the best tank of the expansion and will destroy poorly geared (note, not lack of gear, just people who don't know how to gear) tanks in an 1on1 for MT slot, so generally it's not a conversation of paladins vs warriors, we already know that paladins will beat warriors, it's a case of paladins vs druids, warriors aren't even considered in the conversation by the time swp rolls around or wether the locks and rets (arcane) are really threat capped in t5 already.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Personally I don't need any gear from heroic dungeons to tank t4 content, but you're completely right that warriors have paladins beat on most accounts during the initial weeks of this expansion and are then completely overtaken by paladins by mid t4 and will probably continue to be so until the end of tbc.

This doesn't speak to druids at all though, who is without a doubt the best tank of the expansion and will destroy poorly geared (note, not lack of gear, just people who don't know how to gear) tanks in an 1on1 for MT slot, so generally it's not a conversation of paladins vs warriors, we already know that paladins will beat warriors, it's a case of paladins vs druids, warriors aren't even considered in the conversation by the time swp rolls around or wether the locks and rets (arcane) are really threat capped in t5 already.
    I remember karazhan geared druids were decent and they did have really good avoidance, the ability to just dodge a lot, and they could get a higher amount of HP.

its going to be strange because a 25 man is 3 karazhan raids, for which you need 6 tanks. so your 25 man could potentially have 2 of each tank and run 25s with either 2 or 3. being some combination of classes. you can have 2 warriors and a pala or a warrior pala druid. you'll probably want a warrior to take kael, for grull you probably will want to use shield wall at some point in the early days. at least it could prevent a wipe. for hydross its just about resistances but a paladin using consecrate there could potentially take too much damage from the add switch or pull aggro from the wrong type of adds. I remember us using 2 warriors there and they would try to not aggro the adds only the boss, to avoid being collectively gibbed by 5 mobs hitting them at the same time.

spell reflect is really nice if you manage to get good at reflecting the really nasty shit. its damage that you don't have to take. warriors are just the safer tank still and ofc some mechanics like kael spamming fire balls and pyroblast, revolve around spell reflect. so you will want a warrior tank or two that rotate. I only remember us using a pala for morogrim adds, they didn't even have to be prot they just had to make aggro with righteous fury and then bubble or bop themselves. I remember doing zul aman with paladin tanks and it was noticeable the difference between a pala and a warrior. you could have a pala and a warrior soak saberlash with both having similar gear and the pala will take more damage. i just remember it being more of a challenge to keep a pala alive. palas will ofc shine in karazhan because everything is undead so you can make use of exorcism hell i'm sure holy damage even has a higher chance to hit or crit undeads or something like that. but when it comes to bosses that hit like trucks then the pala shows its weakness compared to druids and warriors.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-03-23 at 07:30 AM.

I remember karazhan geared druids were decent and they did have really good avoidance, the ability to just dodge a lot, and they could get a higher amount of HP.

its going to be strange because a 25 man is 3 karazhan raids, for which you need 6 tanks. so your 25 man could potentially have 2 of each tank and run 25s with either 2 or 3. being some combination of classes. you can have 2 warriors and a pala or a warrior pala druid. you'll probably want a warrior to take kael, for grull you probably will want to use shield wall at some point in the early days. at least it could prevent a wipe. for hydross its just about resistances but a paladin using consecrate there could potentially take too much damage from the add switch or pull aggro from the wrong type of adds. I remember us using 2 warriors there and they would try to not aggro the adds only the boss, to avoid being collectively gibbed by 5 mobs hitting them at the same time.

spell reflect is really nice if you manage to get good at reflecting the really nasty shit. its damage that you don't have to take. warriors are just the safer tank still and ofc some mechanics like kael spamming fire balls and pyroblast, revolve around spell reflect. so you will want a warrior tank or two that rotate. I only remember us using a pala for morogrim adds, they didn't even have to be prot they just had to make aggro with righteous fury and then bubble or bop themselves. I remember doing zul aman with paladin tanks and it was noticeable the difference between a pala and a warrior. you could have a pala and a warrior soak saberlash with both having similar gear and the pala will take more damage. i just remember it being more of a challenge to keep a pala alive. palas will ofc shine in karazhan because everything is undead so you can make use of exorcism hell i'm sure holy damage even has a higher chance to hit or crit undeads or something like that. but when it comes to bosses that hit like trucks then the pala shows its weakness compared to druids and warriors.
    This entire post is very 2007, the raid tactics are completely different, such as using reflect on kael, you kill his shield and you interrupt the pyroblast, people in preraid bis are already going to be matching t5 numbers, while you're completely right that the warrior toolkit can permit some leeway around mistakes, that's not how classic or pserver meta has evolved, you utilize the best tool, not the safest tool.

I'm not even sure paladins will be main tanking, Kael'thas for example, in all likelyhood the go to MT for the entire expansion is going to be druids, damage taken is completely irrelevant to the topic as long as it's not lethal damage.

2007 brain tanks wore something like 20k HP on Vashj, a fight where you never take more than 8k damage at any point, today you will be wearing 15k HP and carrying way more threat gear, just to make the point of how it will go down.

Edit: I should say that, the paladin tanking sets done today have upwards to twice as much SP as they did in 2007, insofar to how it counts for pala v. warrior threat, but ultimately beta will reveal all as things like tuning and numbers aren't completely figured out.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2021-03-23 at 08:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This entire post is very 2007, the raid tactics are completely different, such as using reflect on kael, you kill his shield and you interrupt the pyroblast, people in preraid bis are already going to be matching t5 numbers, while you're completely right that the warrior toolkit can permit some leeway around mistakes, that's not how classic or pserver meta has evolved, you utilize the best tool, not the safest tool.

I'm not even sure paladins will be main tanking, Kael'thas for example, in all likelyhood the go to MT for the entire expansion is going to be druids, damage taken is completely irrelevant to the topic as long as it's not lethal damage.

2007 brain tanks wore something like 20k HP on Vashj, a fight where you never take more than 8k damage at any point, today you will be wearing 15k HP and carrying way more threat gear, just to make the point of how it will go down.

Edit: I should say that, the paladin tanking sets done today have upwards to twice as much SP as they did in 2007, insofar to how it counts for pala v. warrior threat, but ultimately beta will reveal all as things like tuning and numbers aren't completely figured out.
    Just out of curiosity as an old druid player, do druids manage to somehow tank Illidan now? I remember back then we were basically benched due to Shear since we couldn't get hit table coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Just out of curiosity as an old druid player, do druids manage to somehow tank Illidan now? I remember back then we were basically benched due to Shear since we couldn't get hit table coverage.
    Maybe with some immense jank involved but honestly, probably not will likely be resist tanking one of the flames or DPSing. You should check out the druid discord, they can probably give you way better info on that than I, i'm sure you're not the only one that want to sort out that issue and afaik they are pretty good on their theorycrafting.

https://discord.com/invite/SMwmrBV
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2021-03-23 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    Tier 6 is probably the time paladins will shine and get MT spots, more often? especially in Mount Hyj
    There will be bear tanks with 75%+ dodge chance, armor cap, double your health pool and double your dps/threat

Paladins are fine tanks, they can MT anything, but beside Hyjal trash tanking there won't be a lot "shining moment" in BC
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2021-03-23 at 08:23 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, just play whichever you like the best.. Unless your guild absolutely wants to be completely minmaxxing (which it shouldnt as content will be easier than back in the day and literally everything is viable and can do all content) You should be fine on whatever.. personally i plan to main prot pally and not really play much besides that.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxxramas91 View Post
    Prot pallies can tank any boss in the game. Period.
    So can holy priests, but why bother, when a warrior/druid can do it better?

Dubious as to wether warriors will be able to beat 1,2-1,4k sp paladin tanks in t5 on threat.
    It won't matter. We didn't use a prot paladin in my main's guild, other than Morogrim adds and Hyjal trash, and threat was never an issue. Additionally, prot paladins won't have a wealth of gear to choose from, so you'll be lucky to have that much SP while also having appropriate defensive stats at that point.

- - - Updated - - -

but why would you have a paladin tank on kael'thas for example, when they can't reflect any of the damage, or even pyroblast if the interrupts fail.

paladins can tank all the content in tbc with the best gear in the game, no shit, really?

there is farrr to much gushing over the thinnest tank, but i'm sure ppl will see the difference themselves.

when you get your pala to 70, how long do you think its going to take you, to get a set of gear that is comparable to warrior t3? because at the end of the day, pala t3 is a healing set, so my bet is that a lot of palas will just be healers. with the gear I have on my warrior I probably won't have to farm that much gear to reach the point that I can tank karazhan, meanwhile a t3 pala or a pala who has just started, has an uphill climb to reach the same level of mitigation as a warrior.

You vastly overestimate the value of Tier 3 in Tier 4 content. If you're still using Tier 3, it's because you rushed into Karazhan instead of farming heroics.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    It won't matter. We didn't use a prot paladin in my main's guild, other than Morogrim adds and Hyjal trash, and threat was never an issue. Additionally, prot paladins won't have a wealth of gear to choose from, so you'll be lucky to have that much SP while also having appropriate defensive stats at that point.
    Are you saying I won't have access to t4 gear in t5? The gear I am talking about is capped. As for "threat never being an issue" is simply down to how terrible your DPS were back then. Go look at world first kills from the era and see what pittance of throughput they have. Warlocks not understanding the rule of ABC and backpeddling & clicking on (Method) Vashj world first for example.

Your 2007 brain is showing, your tbc experiences are quite irrelevant to the modern approach to classic raiding.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2021-03-23 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I got a Paladin Prot and Warrior Prot in WoW Classic right now.

So what I got from people playing private TBC servers and overall Youtubers that play tbc most of their time is that:

Prot paladins will mostly be used for Dungeon N/H spamming and some raids (being Off-Tank)until Tier 6 Raids where they will shine the best as Main-tanks OR are paladins overall excellent from tier 4 till tier 6.5 ?
    With stock values bosses might hit light enough for pallies being able to tank almost all of them.
    Depends on what guild you will be in.
    Stuff like reflecting deaden on RoS will not matter at all because all bosses before sunwell will fall over and die.