Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Does anyone really believe a... one person boycott on a business accomplishes anything? A business won't miss your nickel and dime purchase anymore than Blizz misses your account.
    Now China is a bigger factor than one business. And one person boycotting them? Good luck with that.
    If you won't buy that set of cutlery or a turbofan made in China, dat'll show 'em! /s

Reminds me about some local politician who encouraged to buy local-made products. Yeah, nice, except he's a millionaire that can afford paying 30% more for literally same shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone really believe a... one person boycott on a business accomplishes anything? A business won't miss your nickel and dime purchase anymore than Blizz misses your account.
    Now China is a bigger factor than one business. And one person boycotting them? Good luck with that.
    Here is some irony:

http://www.ranknfile-ue.org/uen_1200_bk_buyam.html
    Buy American? UE was one union that steered clear of the "Buy American" hoopla of the 1970s and 1980s. It’s not that UE wasn’t concerned about the loss of jobs — no union has fought harder against plant closings or to retain work. The "Buy American" approach ignored the reality that "American" corporations were busily shipping production overseas.
    If it wasn’t for Reagan’s approach to China, would China be as intertwined with US industry? Would it be worth the loss of “greed is good”, with a decade of elite decadence and the birth of such high class people, like Trump and Epstein?
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-03-23 at 01:06 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Where did I write I want to be a president? Oh look, a strawman, refreshing.
    Right here:

I'm not in the position of power to defeat the bad bad China. Elect me as a President of European Council or President of United States first. kthx.
    These days, whenever I see someone use buzzwords like "strawman" it's pretty safe to assume that they ran out of useful things to say. It's kind of like a Godwin without Nazis.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Does anyone really believe a... one person boycott on a business accomplishes anything?
    No. But it's not unreasonable to expect people to actually practice what they preach. You can moan about whatever country's in vogue all you want, but if you still consume their products when there's alternatives available you just come off as a dishonest pussy.

True. 1 person doesn't do squat. But a crowd, and a large market share is made up of many "1 persons".

Convince enough people, and you have a problem on your hand. It's why Israel is so concerned by the BDS movement and goes to such lengths to preemptively combat it.

With China, this would require a larger effort with government and industry backing, and the effort would need to be not just domestic but also foreign, like buying ad space in countries in Africa, Eastern Europe etc, using exclusive investment deals etc.

It can be done. But it costs money, political capital, and right now most Western powers are too consumed with internal political bucking to do what's needed.

I'm puzzled as to what people expected... a nuke?

Diplomacy is like a set of stairs. You could probably jump to the top flight if you're really athletic and trained for it. But typically, we take one step at a time. Starts out with a few select individuals, then it widens the circle to their business contacts, maybe their companies, then maybe their industries... etc.

This is just one step. Don't be disappointed, the nuke's not off the table if you climb these stairs long enough.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    These days, whenever I see someone use buzzwords like "strawman" it's pretty safe to assume that they ran out of useful things to say. It's kind of like a Godwin without Nazis.
    Reading comprehension is hurt here I see. Clearly me saying "I'm not in the position of power to defeat the bad bad China. Elect me as a President of European Council or President of United States first. kthx." means I want to be a President of United States. I'm not even eligible, you funny person, you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    this is the same thing slobs and gomps say about climate change when its clearly a structural issue needing government to tackle rather than the individual being burdened with the responsibility (because that wont work).
    That is because climate change is a global problem, not a spat between the US and China. Countries that have plenty of human rights violations themselves putting sanctions on other countries is a joke.

Cuba and all south American/African nations ruined by sanctions should have made it clear how they only cause more problems than fix it because they are rarely done in good faith.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2021-03-23 at 01:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading comprehension is hurt here I see. Clearly me saying "I'm not in the position of power to defeat the bad bad China. Elect me as a President of European Council or President of United States first. kthx." means I want to be a President of United States. I'm not even eligible, you funny person, you.
    No, it means you need to... to participate in the discussion of thread’s topic... can you guess why I think that’s funny?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm puzzled as to what people expected... a nuke?

Diplomacy is like a set of stairs. You could probably jump to the top flight if you're really athletic and trained for it. But typically, we take one step at a time. Starts out with a few select individuals, then it widens the circle to their business contacts, maybe their companies, then maybe their industries... etc.

This is just one step. Don't be disappointed, the nuke's not off the table if you climb these stairs long enough.
    Funny, what you expect there to be more? That's it.

And it took EU years to muster courage for that one, you can bet they were shaking in their booties trying to find a way to show how much they care, but in a way that won't make China put them on their knees with a trade war EU can't afford on top of 4 other major crises it's bungling it's way through.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, it means you need to... to participate in the discussion of thread’s topic... can you guess why I think that’s funny?
    And I did, but I guess some people can't comprehend the meaning of a remark unless it's put in very small and simple words. Here let me help you in small words - asking me to fight China is a bloody nonsense, because I have no power whatsoever to do so to begin with, just like you. That's why there are governments, unions and pacts, so that you me and millions of others can actually join in a political and financial force that actually matters.

That's what EU is for and they just can't do shit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Convince enough people, and you have a problem on your hand.
    I think you know that won't happen. Those that you need to convince are those that can't afford anything other than "Made in China."
    then as you said there's industries that would have to comply. And with literally hundreds, if not thousands, of lobbyists and organizations in DC that hold an invested interest in China...(checkbooks out for everyone in Congress), well...not much beyond targeting select individuals is about it.

I mean, that's literally what you said. Don't know what to tell you. "Elect me as a President of the European Council or President of the United States first." is a request to make you President of something. Btw, you'd like to be President of the European Commission, not the European Council. But surely, as you have researched everything and put so much thought into your posts, you knew this...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you know that won't happen. Those that you need to convince are those that can't afford anything other than "Made in China."
    then as you said there's industries that would have to comply. And with literally hundreds, if not thousands, of lobbyists and organizations in DC that hold an invested interest in China...(checkbooks out for everyone in Congress), well...not much beyond targeting select individuals is about it.
    That's also a fair point.

Not only realistically neither EU nor even US has the balls to do the moves that would put actual real pressure on China to reconsider its approach. But even on top of that - there are just way too many policy-makers and lobbyists who are tainted by their own vested interests in China.

Sure they all get to shake their canes in public about how big bad China treats Uighurs and how they are appalled by this, but then much of their $$ comes from them sweatshops and pals in China to begin with. Wouldn't be smart to actually hurt their own meal check.

*snip*
    You done derailing your own thread? Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I did, but I guess some people can't comprehend the meaning of a remark unless it's put in very small and simple words. Here let me help you: "asking me to fight China is a bloody nonsense, because I have no power whatsoever to do so to begin with, just like you."
    How are the supposed understand that you needing to be president, to talk on the subject, means... while you are actively posting on the subject? I think you are misplacing fault on that one... but...

About 6 years ago... US investment in solar paid off. US companies were selling high capacity cells, that China simply couldn’t. As a result, China was left with companies, holding millions if not billions of dollars worth of solar cells, that were simply obsolete. As a solution to this problem, China’s government spent a whole lot of money, subsidizing the inferior cell production. Where the cost was so low, since government already covered a portion, they actually started to outsell American made and far superior cells.

Biden has learned from events such as this... or at least his advisers have... because this wasn’t the first act targeting China from Biden. The reinforcement of research and development of microprocessor technology, was a direct shot at China. Because it’s US focusing on something China can’t do... basically... our fight against China, is in Big Tech... and someone in the current White House... knows it...

Funny, what you expect there to be more? That's it.

And it took EU years to muster courage for that one, you can bet they were shaking in their booties trying to find a way to show how much they care, but in a way that won't make China put them on their knees with a trade war EU can't afford on top of 4 other major crises it's bungling it's way through.
    The Ughyur (or however they're spelled) situation developed in the past year. These sanctions happened at lightning speed, comparably. But you can go ahead and explain how the EU was predicting the future and started these sanctions "years ago".

But let's go ahead, give us your grand plan on how to deal with China. Or, failing that, because people like you never actually come up with anything to discuss when put on the spot, tell me about those 4 crisis the EU is "bungling its way through". Let me know if this is too much for you. You can stop posting anytime.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what EU is for and they just can't do shit anyway.
    Oh forgot this gem... Let me respond to this as well: No. Try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Biden has learned from events such as this... or at least his advisers have... because this wasn’t the first act targeting China from Biden. The reinforcement of research and development of microprocessor technology, was a direct shot at China. Because it’s US focusing on something China can’t do... basically... our fight against China, is in Big Tech... and someone in the current White House... knows it...
    Eagerly looking for them courageous Biden moves. KEKW.

US deals with so much shit right now, that starting an actual Trade War with China is not exactly a priority for them. At very most it will be yet another Trump's Trade War, which actually did bite, but nothing China could not plug with $$.

In the end at most it will be another round of tit for tat that won't change anything, because at this point - you can't do shit to world's 2nd largest economy who controls much of the world's supply lines.

You done derailing your own thread? Thanks.
    I will be once you stop talking out of your ass and actually contribute.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Ughyur (or however they're spelled) situation developed in the past year. These sanctions happened at lightning speed, comparably. But you can go ahead and explain how the EU was predicting the future and started these sanctions "years ago".
    Clearly China was a champion of human rights until suddenly this was uncovered. How shocking, China doing that? Our China?

Not like Tiananmen, Hong Kong and South Sea was happening for years, totally nothing to see there.

But of course apparently US/EU has no intelligence whatsoever, they must have read about them Uighur Camps in CNN and were shocked.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-03-23 at 01:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm... I wasn’t predicting, I was describing:

Biden Makes First Push to Potentially Boost US Chip Manufacturing
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/biden-mak...-manufacturing

KEKW?

US deals with so much shit right now, that starting an actual Trade War with China is not exactly a priority for them. At very most it will be yet another Trump's Trade War, which actually did bite, but nothing China could not plug with $$.

In the end at most it will be another round of tit for tat that won't change anything, because at this point - you can't do shit to world's 2nd largest economy who controls much of the world's supply lines.
    3rd largest economy. The EU and the US happen to be the first two. Not saying a trade war is feasible, but boy are you bad at getting your facts straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly China was a champion of human rights until suddenly this was uncovered. How shocking, China doing that? Our China?

Not like Tiananmen, Hong Kong and South Sea was happening for years, totally nothing to see there.
    Ok, I'll call the world and let them know that you think they should stop doing anything, because so far they haven't done anything. Gaidax has decided that once you realise enough is enough it's too late if you haven't done this for basically the entirety of human history.

Still waiting on your alternative. Guess you got nothing?