Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation DPS drop after entering SL

I have a Balance boomkin (Tauren) that I just brought to SL. While doing the Maw entry quest-line at level 50, I was doing 1.5-2k DPS. As soon as I hit SL (started in Bastion) BAMMM.....DPS dropped to 530-600. Is that by design by Blizz's nerfs? If so, it sucks.

Did you, maybe, switch out your intellect weapon for an agi one?
    You should instantly feel, even in the Maw, that your HoA doesn't work anymore, not after the introduction, so that is kinda weird.
    Maybe you looked at the combined dps of you and the npcs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culdreth View Post
    I have a Balance boomkin (Tauren) that I just brought to SL. While doing the Maw entry quest-line at level 50, I was doing 1.5-2k DPS. As soon as I hit SL (started in Bastion) BAMMM.....DPS dropped to 530-600. Is that by design by Blizz's nerfs? If so, it sucks.
    Did you have any azerite gear or Heart of azeroth essences ?

Because you lose all that when you enter shadowlands.

Only item of Azerite I had in the Maw was neck item, but as soon as I hit SL. I hit AH and bought highest ilvl item I could equip at 50/51 in every slot including weapon. Stats stayed pretty much the same after enchants and gems. Staff is intellect weapon as was my previous lvl 67 staff.

Damage is player only based. Not combined with NpC damage or heals.
    Last edited by Culdreth; 2021-03-22 at 06:06 PM.

You actually grew weaker as you progressed through SL. I noticed that with most of my chars that had any previous decent gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    You actually grew weaker as you progressed through SL. I noticed that with most of my chars that had any previous decent gear.
    this.

op, it seems you have to read that articles about scaling and item squish. that articles were very common when SL released.

This is how every expansion works.

As you gain levels you lose secondary stats because the required rating goes up for the same amount of % increase.

Before level scaling in Legion this was offset by your level actually mattering vs enemy level due to glancing/crushing, armor rating vs levels, and such.

There was progression as you gained levels to go into the harder zones.

Leveling scaling just makes it feel weird.

7+ Year Old Account
    Leveling isnt balanced at all. Just hit 60 and u will kill on sight. Bookmin is fotm class atm LOL

The game has never been balanced around level since TBC.

Every single spell and ability is balanced for a lvl 60 toon.

You are a boomkin. Roll night fae and hit 1 button to top all meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    This is how every expansion works.

As you gain levels you lose secondary stats because the required rating goes up for the same amount of % increase.

Before level scaling in Legion this was offset by your level actually mattering vs enemy level due to glancing/crushing, armor rating vs levels, and such.

There was progression as you gained levels to go into the harder zones.

Leveling scaling just makes it feel weird.
    True. However I definitely felt it much harshly on SL. Usually I overlook it as I progress, but this time around was simply way too much for me to not notice it so harshly.

Sure, but you don't drop down to 1/5th in a single level. For that matter, 2k at level 50 seem oddly high, especially since the character apparently wasn't terribly well geared.

2k would be fairly high for a fresh 60, nevermind 50.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Sure, but you don't drop down to 1/5th in a single level. For that matter, 2k at level 50 seem oddly high, especially since the character apparently wasn't terribly well geared.

2k would be fairly high for a fresh 60, nevermind 50.
    The alts that I had, that were moderately geared on BFA, were easily pushing past 2k dps during the early dungeons 50+. Especially tanks and the FOTM at the time.

And while I can't recall how much they actually dropped per level, by the time I was level 60, I was doing barely 1.2k at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really sounded like whatever DPS meter you were using was recording the "pocket hero NPCs" damage as your own - They do an absolutely massive amount of damage, and you have access to at least 1 hero for pretty much every single quest. I know that Details considers the hero NPCs damage output as a pet, so it'll show up under your own damage meters. This also goes for the Ebon Blade special action button you get for most of the Maw, which can massively inflate your damage.

So, yea, you didn't pay attention to your DPS meter while you were in the Maw and it was counting the NPC damage as your own - Now that you don't have a NPC to carry you your real damage output is revealed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Its the NPC's that are with you in the maw starting quest... All the DPS meters register them as pets and they do massive DPS with you. Once you leave the maw you know longer have them to help you.

The alts that I had, that were moderately geared on BFA, were easily pushing past 2k dps during the early dungeons 50+. Especially tanks and the FOTM at the time.

And while I can't recall how much they actually dropped per level, by the time I was level 60, I was doing barely 1.2k at best.
    Given that the OP supposedly had an iLvl 67 weapon, you were probably outgearing him by quite a bit though. Even Ny'alotha LFR dropped iLvl 95(post 9.0).

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Given that the OP supposedly had an iLvl 67 weapon, you were probably outgearing him by quite a bit though. Even Ny'alotha LFR dropped iLvl 95(post 9.0).
    Possible, aye.

Any damage meter worth its salt has settable options where pet damage can be included as overall DPS, set to show separately as pet damage, or not be included at all. I don't include pet damage in my damage meters at all unless on my hunter or lock. and even then, pet damage is separated from direct damage. I've played since 2008, so have a reasonable knowledge of add-ons and game-play. I remember drops in other expansions, but never to the extent of SL. As for comments regarding 2k, that was listed as BURST damage. 1.5k was easily and consistently obtainable since I was a 120 Boomkin at heroic item level during BfA. This isn't a toon that was started AFTER the SL release and level squish.

Keep in mind, during BFA, a reasonably equipped heroic level Boomkin could do 35-55k. Mythic + equipped players were doing between 60-80k in raids and dungeons. So don't be so hasty to dispel the fact that a heroic level toon, after the SL squish, could be capable of 1.5k dps prior to actually entering the Oribos/SL realm. Even Simulationcraft shows DPS on my Boomkin as currently equipped/enchanted/gemmed, should be in the area of 1561 dps at level 54. (Simulationcraft also assumes ideal conditions----upper tier video card, ram, interface, etc.) Last night playing with intermediate video card, 200 meg internet, 60hz screen refresh and 40-60fps play rate, I was hitting around 750-900 dps.
    Last edited by Culdreth; 2021-03-23 at 05:21 PM.

<text>
    It also assumes a decently long fight. You're not going to get those numbers in a 10s world encounter, numbers will be all over the place.

Also, while that is true for actual pets, non-pet NPC companions can be a lot more complicated. Some don't even register as proper companions and just get treated as your own damage.

To be fair. Once your in SL, chances are your HoA is probally high enough ilvl to get you through to about 60 if you had put any time at all in it. Even just barely unlocking all yhe basic abilities on the heart would give you untill at least 57-58. Uts still a good stat stick even if the bonuses dont work. I didnt replace it on my boomkin till 60 and mind you i never raided on that charater.

Any damage meter worth its salt has settable options where pet damage can be included as overall DPS, set to show separately as pet damage, or not be included at all. I don't include pet damage in my damage meters at all unless on my hunter or lock. and even then, pet damage is separated from direct damage. I've played since 2008, so have a reasonable knowledge of add-ons and game-play. I remember drops in other expansions, but never to the extent of SL. As for comments regarding 2k, that was listed as BURST damage. 1.5k was easily and consistently obtainable since I was a 120 Boomkin at heroic item level during BfA. This isn't a toon that was started AFTER the SL release and level squish.

Keep in mind, during BFA, a reasonably equipped heroic level Boomkin could do 35-55k. Mythic + equipped players were doing between 60-80k in raids and dungeons. So don't be so hasty to dispel the fact that a heroic level toon, after the SL squish, could be capable of 1.5k dps prior to actually entering the Oribos/SL realm. Even Simulationcraft shows DPS on my Boomkin as currently equipped/enchanted/gemmed, should be in the area of 1561 dps at level 54. (Simulationcraft also assumes ideal conditions----upper tier video card, ram, interface, etc.) Last night playing with intermediate video card, 200 meg internet, 60hz screen refresh and 40-60fps play rate, I was hitting around 750-900 dps.
    So you missed the point that the scaling (and literally every expansion, yes its always felt like this) creating a dip in leveling and fresh max level damage.

Stop talking about BFA numbers as if they're relevant. They're not, even for comparison.

Not sure what kind of resolution you're looking for, yes the dps went down.

Do some dungeons, get some gear, watch it go back up.

Or just turn off the numbers completely.

/console floatingCombatTextCombatDamage 0

Seems like we're reaching for something to be upset about.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.