Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ehma View Post
    Lol you comparing this to a car show is so fucking moronic idk what to even say. A show where you literally walk car to car and get a good look at everyone of them, is not comparable to everyone just flying around in Outland.

Also, please if I remember tbc so badly (even tho I am currently and have been playing it for the last 3 years), tell me the amount of unique mounts there. Once you’re done I’ll give you a list of retail one to show you how vastly different the experience is.
    How is a carshow not comparable to walking around Shattrath? You are literally arguing that people want to show off their uniqueness. I remember plenty of times hanging in Shat between arenas or raids and some one was RP walking a mount around. Shattrath is typically full of people idling around, on mounts, as is the respective capital cities.

Again you argue the sheer quantities of mounts means individual mounts lose value. It doesn't. Someone having X number of mounts has no affect on you having Y number of mounts. I think you just live in a reality where you for some reason must always measure your selfworth compared to what others have, when most people don't have that issue. I played BC from start to finish when it launched, and i can tell you there is one mount that i ever went "neat" about when i saw another player with it, and that was Alar, and then a few weeks later we saw 5 hanging out in shatt and it was still equally as neat. Same goes for all the KSM Death Elementals in Oribos on retail, no matter how many flying cows or rats there are, those death elementals are still bad ass.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    How is a carshow not comparable to walking around Shattrath? You are literally arguing that people want to show off their uniqueness. I remember plenty of times hanging in Shat between arenas or raids and some one was RP walking a mount around. Shattrath is typically full of people idling around, on mounts, as is the respective capital cities.

Again you argue the sheer quantities of mounts means individual mounts lose value. It doesn't. Someone having X number of mounts has no affect on you having Y number of mounts. I think you just live in a reality where you for some reason must always measure your selfworth compared to what others have, when most people don't have that issue. I played BC from start to finish when it launched, and i can tell you there is one mount that i ever went "neat" about when i saw another player with it, and that was Alar, and then a few weeks later we saw 5 hanging out in shatt and it was still equally as neat. Same goes for all the KSM Death Elementals in Oribos on retail, no matter how many flying cows or rats there are, those death elementals are still bad ass.
    Why didn’t you answer my question? You claimed I must not know tbc very well and you claim you must so tell me how many of these unique mounts were running around in tbc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn’t you answer my question? You claimed I must not know tbc very well and you claim you must so tell me how many of these unique mounts were running around in tbc?
    Because your question is not relevant and is just used as a method to distract from the discussion. You feel that personally attacking someone's foundational knowledge of events that took place 14 years ago is enough to negate their entire discussion. Because you can not offer counter arguments to the fundamental points of my argument, you decide to resort to the stereotypical Ad Hominiem attacks.

But if you must validate yourself with an answer, the rarest of mounts in BC were the Glad mounts, the Amani Bear, Alar, and the Fiery Warhorse. Yes there are hundreds more mounts in Retail but that is due to many expansions layered on top of each other. As for store diminishing value of mounts, you are claiming the 20ish mounts obtained from Collector's Editions/Ingame Store/Sub events are diminishing the value of over 800 other mounts, which is laughable.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.

Because your question is not relevant and is just used as a method to distract from the discussion. You feel that personally attacking someone's foundational knowledge of events that took place 14 years ago is enough to negate their entire discussion. Because you can not offer counter arguments to the fundamental points of my argument, you decide to resort to the stereotypical Ad Hominiem attacks.

But if you must validate yourself with an answer, the rarest of mounts in BC were the Glad mounts, the Amani Bear, Alar, and the Fiery Warhorse. Yes there are hundreds more mounts in Retail but that is due to many expansions layered on top of each other. As for store diminishing value of mounts, you are claiming the 20ish mounts obtained from Collector's Editions/Ingame Store/Sub events are diminishing the value of over 800 other mounts, which is laughable.
    It’s not distracting away from the argument at all, you were literally the one to bring it up so I’m asking you to clarify because you claimed I must have ‘forgotten’ a lot about tbc.

And you actually just come up and list fucking 4 mounts dude lol. 8 if we count all the glad mounts, and honestly I’ll throw you a bone and even let you know you missed some as well.

But you actually have the nerve to claim tbc had way more unique mounts than I remember and come out and lost fucking FOUR mounts. Come the fuck on are you joking hahaha.

I’m not claiming it’s just the store mounts diminishing the unique mount pool so idk where you are coming up with that. I said adding more mounts into the game does. Yeah you are right the 20ish mounts probably don’t diminish much when there is 900ish in the game, it’s already fucked lol. Dropping a cube of shit into the ocean probably won’t make the ocean taste like shit, but dropping it into a glass of water and you’ll for sure taste it.

The store part is another part of the conversation that makes this mount worse and we can talk about that if you really want but that’s not my main focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s not distracting away from the argument at all, you were literally the one to bring it up so I’m asking you to clarify because you claimed I must have ‘forgotten’ a lot about tbc.

And you actually just come up and list fucking 4 mounts dude lol. 8 if we count all the glad mounts, and honestly I’ll throw you a bone and even let you know you missed some as well.

But you actually have the nerve to claim tbc had way more unique mounts than I remember and come out and lost fucking FOUR mounts. Come the fuck on are you joking hahaha.

I’m not claiming it’s just the store mounts diminishing the unique mount pool so idk where you are coming up with that. I said adding more mounts into the game does. Yeah you are right the 20ish mounts probably don’t diminish much when there is 900ish in the game, it’s already fucked lol. Dropping a cube of shit into the ocean probably won’t make the ocean taste like shit, but dropping it into a glass of water and you’ll for sure taste it.

The store part is another part of the conversation that makes this mount worse and we can talk about that if you really want but that’s not my main focus.
    I didnt list all unique mounts, i listed what i considered the rarest from BC. You realize anyone can get numbers at any time with source. At no point did i state that those i listed where the exhaustive list of mounts in BC. I consider those to be the rarest mounts from that era, not the only unique mounts. Again you are being obtuse for no reason. As for not being distracting, you have not addressed anything from my original comment and have fixated on a singular point you attempted to make.

I didnt list all unique mounts, i listed what i considered the rarest from BC. You realize anyone can get numbers at any time with source. At no point did i state that those i listed where the exhaustive list of mounts in BC. I consider those to be the rarest mounts from that era, not the only unique mounts. Again you are being obtuse for no reason. As for not being distracting, you have not addressed anything from my original comment and have fixated on a singular point you attempted to make.
    I already have addressed what you have said, you’re just repeating yourself. You keep saying “the number of mounts doesn’t matter I still pick out the good ones”. And I keep telling you “they don’t mean as much because everyone is sitting on a unique and flashy mount”. There’s nothing to prove or disprove here, if you had an ounce of brain cells you would understand this which is why I’m not addressing any subjectives anymore because it’s just going to be us going “NU UH” and “UH HUH” if you think anything you said is even “counterable” then you are just too simple minded to even continue having a conversation with tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already have addressed what you have said, you’re just repeating yourself. You keep saying “the number of mounts doesn’t matter I still pick out the good ones”. And I keep telling you “they don’t mean as much because everyone is sitting on a unique and flashy mount”. There’s nothing to prove or disprove here, if you had an ounce of brain cells you would understand this which is why I’m not addressing any subjectives anymore because it’s just going to be us going “NU UH” and “UH HUH” if you think anything you said is even “counterable” then you are just too simple minded to even continue having a conversation with tbh.
    Again resorting to name calling and misquoting. Until you have something relevant to say that isn't punctuated with an insult, i don't see the point on carrying on a conversation with you anymore. Good luck to you, and hopefully you find enjoyment in your games.

Again resorting to name calling and misquoting. Until you have something relevant to say that isn't punctuated with an insult, i don't see the point on carrying on a conversation with you anymore. Good luck to you, and hopefully you find enjoyment in your games.
    There’s nothing more to add because your point is the exact same point I already addressed twice now, you are just rephrasing it. If you really just need me to repeat myself for a third time in order for you to understand we are speaking in circles, I don’t think I need to waste my time talking to someone who needs this kind of spoon feeding lol. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    On retail, the uniqueness and exclusivity of accomplishment mounts is safely intact.
    Not really.

Due to an overabundance of mounts on Retail, they're just not that special anymore but that's not an issue solely due to cashshop, the game being 15 year old also plays a huge role there and one of the biggest culprit is that Blizzard mindlessly dumps an ever increasing amount of mounts into the game with each patch.

To give a counterexample, why does the Zulian Tiger stand out on Classic?
    Because any other Tiger mount is shade of Black / White - whereas one with an extremely flamboyant colour stands out quite decently, especially on Horde side where you literally don't have access to a single Tiger mount except that one.

It's just a fucking recolour when you break it down, yet is a huge status symbol because everybody else has basic shit.
    I'm not sure who you think is like "Hey, that completely unique KSM mount is nice and all, but look at this pig mount with wings!", but I've yet to come across that person and they sound fictional.
    Somebody might get excited about a cool mount, then open the cashshop and see a plethora of cool mounts being available for nothing but cash, that devalues them, that's just how it is.

You can pretend otherwise, but that has simply to do with the issue of you really seem to struggle in grasping the concept of a status symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Somebody might get excited about a cool mount, then open the cashshop and see a plethora of cool mounts being available for nothing but cash, that devalues them, that's just how it is.

You can pretend otherwise, but that has simply to do with the issue of you really seem to struggle in grasping the concept of a status symbol.
    Oh right, I was totally going to go for Gladiator or bid on A'lar but you know what, they added that Warp Stalker so no thanks.

What?!

Oh right, I was totally going to go for Gladiator or bid on A'lar but you know what, they added that Warp Stalker so no thanks.

What?!
    Where did i say people will stop pursuing those?
    They are going to become less valueable, that doesn't mean they lose all their value.

I wouldn't throw around hyperboles if the concept of a status symbol eludes me.

Where did i say people will stop pursuing those?
    They are going to become less valueable, that doesn't mean they lose all their value.

I wouldn't throw around hyperboles if the concept of a status symbol eludes me.
    So the presence of other mounts devalues more exclusive mounts by some arbitrary amount of social currency that doesn't actually dissuade people from pursuing them, doesn't change the percentage of people that have them, but somehow negatively impacts some unspecified subset of players for a reason you're wrapping into "status symbols".

Got it.

but somehow negatively impacts some unspecified subset of players for a reason you're wrapping into "status symbols".
    Mate, again, this is such basic shit.

If everybody owns a sportcar, then sportcars are no longer a status symbol, because everybody has them - doesn't matter whether a variety of sportcars exist.

The fact that you call status symbol an "arbitrary amount of social currency" just shows that this entire subject just flies straight over your head.
    If you cannot grasp the concept of status symbols, then maybe you should stop partaking in discussion where this concept plays a critical role.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-03-25 at 07:55 PM.

Mate, again, this is such basic shit.

If everybody owns a sportcar, then sportcars are no longer a status symbol, because everybody has them - doesn't matter whether a variety of sportcars exist.

The fact that you call status symbol an "arbitrary amount of social currency" just shows that this entire subject just flies straight over your head.
    If you cannot grasp the concept of status symbols, then maybe you should stop partaking in discussion where this concept plays a critical role.
    I’m now going to look down at the basic peasants who are driving Bugatti’s because Hyundai released a $20,000 sports car.

If you can’t just admit that you have zero jurisdiction or quantitative discovery on how additional mounts somehow disrupt the socioeconomic infrastructure in WoW, maybe you should just say “I don’t like the idea of more mounts” and stop trying to officiate the opinions of others.

I’m now going to look down at the basic peasants who are driving Bugatti’s because Hyundai released a $20,000 sports car.
    Because that many people are in the position to purchase a largely impractical car?

The comparison would work if Bugatti or other luxury car manufacturers started selling their cars at a very reduced price, which they don't because they know their cars are just a status symbol for rich and people in need of more practical cars won't buy them anyway.
    If you can’t just admit that you have zero jurisdiction or quantitative discovery on how additional mounts somehow disrupt the socioeconomic infrastructure in WoW, maybe you should just say “I don’t like the idea of more mounts” and stop trying to officiate the opinions of others.
    There is no jurisdiction involved, this is just such a basic thing, when more people have something special, it becomes less special.

Is it really that difficult to understand that a lot of people look at something such as Thunderfury in Classic in a slightly different light than during Vanilla?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    That is most definitely not what this is, so I don't know why you're bringing that up. We've seen no indication that it will be earnable in game, nor a new source of content that would have it.
    Notice how my comment was made before we had the Deluxe Edition leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Epic ground mounts cost 900G in BC so having a store purchased mount (which I would suspect would be mailed to all your characters, pre-account-mount style) would definitely have an impact on players beyond just being cosmetic.
    You do realize mounts are CHEAP in BC. The riding skill is what costs. So now you're _making up_ a fact that Blizzard would give the riding skill for free, and being mad about it. That's Karen level of logics, dude.

And it's Karen level 3D chess, since you're making this entire thing up in the first place since no one knows what that mount is about.

Anecdote time.

I stopped playing wow for a long time after wotlk.

When I briefly returned in a much later expansion, I had a look through the list of mounts ingame, noting down the mounts I wanted to farm.
    At that point, I had no idea there was an ingame store at all, or that some mounts had to be purchased.

So when I started googling where to farm each of the mounts I earmarked, I ended up finding out that every single one of them was, in fact, a store mount. Every. Single. One.

Pure coincidence? That somehow, out of the hundreds or so of mounts on that list, every single one I favored turned out to be from the store?

Yea.. No. Obviously they quite intentionally reserve the coolest mounts for $$$. And yes, obviously it entirely diminishes the status and accomplishment of actually farming some (less nice looking) mount.

I dislike the colours. I would enjoy it more if the colours were actually appealing. Out of all the ones they went with.. could've been black, blue, red and white. Preferably white for me but all those colour schemes are miles better than the one they chose. I would've mentioned void purple too, if it wasn't from Legion but it is. Anyways if this is only for TBC relaunch it wouldn't matter to me anyways.

I am kind of surprised they held off for so long. I wonder if they were worried that with classic if they added the cash shop people would flock to private servers. Now that are in tbc and the private servers for it are sketchy at best they feel like its some to jam the cash shop into the game.