10+ Year Old Account

The Smiths - Shoplifters of the World

People always ask .... "why all the hate for The Smiths?"

This film will answer that question.

Never has a film so accurately captured the energy of a band's fanbase (hostile, cultish, somehow overproduced despite attempting grit).

I've never seen much hate for the Smiths, you seem to be taking this fictional movie as an affirmation to dislike the band. Just so you know, it's fine to like or dislike whomever you want.

I've never heard of them. Are they more a euro band?

10+ Year Old Account
    That "Why all the hate for" can be applied to any and every band. Also every fanbase got people who go to far so there is no need to take a red dot to The Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I've never heard of them. Are they more a euro band?
    They were a British band in the 80s. The lead singer, Morrissey, still has moderate success as a solo artist today.

If you saw the movie "Bumblebee" then you heard a bit of the music. The lead played by Hailee Steinfeld was a fan.
    I personally didn't think much of the actual songs. The music itself was catchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's Airheads, but without a chiseled Branden Fraser taking over the radio station, and a Joe Manganiello instead of Mantegna as the DJ.

I do like The Smiths. Morrissey can croon with the best of them. But I'll pass, unless it's on TV, and I'm hungover on the couch and can't reach the remote.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Weren't they assassin too?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Weren't they assassin too?
    I totally didn’t click this thread thinking it was some weird Pitt/Joline sequel...

I’ve never heard any music by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I’ve never heard any music by them.
    Unless you're ten, you surely have.

There was def. a cult of personality around Morrisey in particular. Frankly, he loved it and played into it over the years. That's different from The Smiths making extraordinarily high-quality music that was both genre and decade-defining.

I once went to a show where Morrisey refused to play until every place that sold meat at the venue closed. He ended up taking the stage past midnight. It was ridiculous.

The girl next to me snuck a hamburger in her backpack and ate it in the front row. It was hilarious.

When Morrisey came on, he fucking slayed through.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    They weren't big in my area. "Bumblebee" was the first time I heard them. Amd if it weren't for the catchy sound I wouldn't have looked into them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't think of too many people who haven't heard How Soon Is Now?, especially that intro guitar wail, but just haven't put the two together.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    32. I might have unknowingly heard it somewhere, but I've not played a song knowing it's a Smiths song or been around anyone who's a Smiths fan. That doesn't mean they're not famous, it's just not in my space. I listen to classic Metal or soundtrack music with a bit of everything else on top.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    32. I might have unknowingly heard it somewhere, but I've not played a song knowing it's a Smiths song or been around anyone who's a Smiths fan. That doesn't mean they're not famous, it's just not in my space. I listen to classic Metal or soundtrack music with a bit of everything else on top.
    The SMiths broke up 34 years ago so ... So these interactions kinda prove the whole "cultish" point

Can also confirm, I saw Morrisey like 15 years ago at Coachella. He complained about smelling meat, walked off middle of his set.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    The SMiths broke up 34 years ago so ... So these interactions kinda prove the whole "cultish" point

Can also confirm, I saw Morrisey like 15 years ago at Coachella. He complained about smelling meat, walked off middle of his set.
    The only reason I know of the Smiths without having explicitly heard their music, is because I once had 500 Days of Summer playing in the background on TV. That film had toxic lead characters. The ‘whom-to-never-date’ award winners.

7+ Year Old Account
    Huh, there are people that hate the Smiths soooooo much that 30-40 years later they are making hate videos? That's some serious crazy there.

With regards to the Smiths:
    Never cared much one way or the other about the Smiths. I was in high school from 82-86 and then College followed. During that time I dated SEVERAL women who were huge, I mean HUGE, Smith fans (and honorable mention: huge Depeche Mode fans as well). But I don't recall ever hearing much hate for The Smiths.

*shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    Morrisey is upset about last night's Simpsons. Which had a character voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, as a whiny and depressed singer from the 80s.

We've all been Lisa here.