Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dota - Dragons Blood

as a long time fan of the game im more than excited about this. it came completely out of nowhere and was announced a couple of months ago.

Netflix is adding a new adult anime to its ever-growing catalog of shows. The new series, released on March 25, 2021, is called DOTA: Dragon's Blood, based on the RPG video games Defense of the Ancients (Dota) and Dota 2. DOTA: Dragon's Blood is co-produced by Netflix and Valve, the creators of the video game series, and the show's filled with magic, dragons, and plenty of great lore.

its available on netflix as of today.

Do I need to know anything about Dota other than it being a rip off of War of the Ancients from Warcraft?

I'm amazed Valve has actually managed to complete a video series adaptation of one of their franchises.

Their ridiculous workflow makes collaboration with other companies on such projects a major hassle.

Maybe it's just down to the fact that the only things Gaben actually care about are playing Dota 2 and brain computer interfacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Do I need to know anything about Dota other than it being a rip off of War of the Ancients from Warcraft?
    Pretty sure war of the ancients is exactly the same game, just that they changed the name along the way :P. If I remember correctly from waaaay back when I played Wc3.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    Pretty sure war of the ancients is exactly the same game, just that they changed the name along the way :P. If I remember correctly from waaaay back when I played Wc3.
    Yeah dota was created with the warcraft 3 custom map maker. Then later icefrog took it to valve and they made dota 2.

Hes only showing his ignorance with that comment
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

It is always called "Defense of the Ancients" back in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah dota was created with the warcraft 3 custom map maker. Then later icefrog took it to valve and they made dota 2.

Hes only showing his ignorance with that comment
    It wasn't a comment, it was a question. Do I need to know anything else to watch the movie?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    War of the ancients isn't a game its the storyline of the first Burning Legion invasion into Azeroth, of which the Dota custom game was born from.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't a comment, it was a question. Do I need to know anything else to watch the movie?

- - - Updated - - -

War of the ancients isn't a game its the storyline of the first Burning Legion invasion into Azeroth, of which the Dota custom game was born from.
    I dunno I haven't seen it. But I'm gonna go with no.

Writing a show only for people who have played the game is a good way to waste money
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

I started watching it, earlier tonight, and I felt compelled to just finish the entire thing.

I must say, it's pretty fucking awesome.
    It's a cool story they've come up with.

As far as we've been shown yet, it's not really related to the game. So calling it any kind of adaption, would not be fair.
    Rather, it's Dota character's put in a "standalone" story. Honestly, it's a fairly ambitious attempt at some serious world/universe building.

I'd say, you could probably enjoy it without knowing the characters, but you'll probably be far more invested if you know the characters/game.

It's not the best thing ever, but it's really cool.
    It really reminds me of the Castlevania series, one can only appreciate a bit of gruesomeness, it's definitely not a children's carton.

I'm looking forward to follow the story they've set up, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Watched it, was alright. A bit convoluted with all the stories meshed in from the various groups and characters.

I love it!!! I want blizz make an animation show like this for warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post

hahahaha nice :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no interest in DOTA but I do like the look of this. I'll check it out

I wasnt even aware DOTA had lore :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Not totally surprised they chose Dragon Knight as their lead character. I always wondered if they made a Dota TV show or film who the main character(s) would be and I always figured it would either be Luna, Omniknight or Crystal Maiden.

It's not a ripoff. IceFrog, the longest tenured developer of DotA Allstars, was hired by Valve and recreated the game on the Source 2 engine.

And no you don't need to know anything about the game or characters. The anime establishes the characters and story quite well on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I wasnt even aware DOTA had lore :S

You'd be surprised. There is a lot of lore but it's all over the place. A lot of heroes are connected to each other in many ways, lands/worlds connected by certain histories (world events in the lore's past), different cultures and religions... if you try to keep up with it all it's pretty fleshed out.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-03-27 at 11:23 AM.

I really like the show. In Dota 2 there is not much of a story so the show had to came up with something and it was decent.

But I loved the characters, the dialogs, the voice actors. If they keep going this direction or better in the next series (I hope there are more), I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Not going to happen, blizzard lack foresight, vision and ambition. They got lucky with warcraft, a well done product they did well, but were unwiling and incapable of taking it further.

They just didn't have the resolve.

This is why DotA the game went on to do so much more, and when Wc3 reforged was done, it was their opportunity to take the reigns on a possible resurgence of both the genre and a new DoTa, but they got very greedy, thinking clipping people would in that awful handicap to making maps will somehow inspire people to create free content for them that they could soley monetise.. way too greedy.

Basically they've just literally been a blundering mess.

look. their zenith point was actually wow classic.. although TBC and WotLk did very well, looking back, they were the start of the falling apart, because they never took it to the next level.

so now, DotA the series, will have a sequel and likely many more, they will repeat their success in the gaming industry in the tv industry, with a fraction of the hassle.

Sure Warcraft might have the big name, but dotA can easily out grow it and surpass it.

If the makes of DoTA decided to do an MMO now, paying attention to lore, and put out a great product.. it will crush wow. like DotA 2 evolved to crush all it's competitors. Sure the competitors, including the original, WC3, were always going to have a following and still fairly popular, but not to the level of DotA. But in the end, not to long for now, this too shall fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Not going to happen, blizzard lack foresight, vision and ambition. They got lucky with warcraft, a well done product they did well, but were unwiling and incapable of taking it further.

They just didn't have the resolve.

This is why DotA the game went on to do so much more, and when Wc3 reforged was done, it was their opportunity to take the reigns on a possible resurgence of both the genre and a new DoTa, but they got very greedy, thinking clipping people would in that awful handicap to making maps will somehow inspire people to create free content for them that they could soley monetise.. way too greedy.

Basically they've just literally been a blundering mess.

look. their zenith point was actually wow classic.. although TBC and WotLk did very well, looking back, they were the start of the falling apart, because they never took it to the next level.

so now, DotA the series, will have a sequel and likely many more, they will repeat their success in the gaming industry in the tv industry, with a fraction of the hassle.

Sure Warcraft might have the big name, but dotA can easily out grow it and surpass it.

If the makes of DoTA decided to do an MMO now, paying attention to lore, and put out a great product.. it will crush wow. like DotA 2 evolved to crush all it's competitors. Sure the competitors, including the original, WC3, were always going to have a following and still fairly popular, but not to the level of DotA. But in the end, not to long for now, this too shall fail.
    LOL at vanilla being the zenith, or expecting valve to do anything with the game. I love dota 2, but valve literally takes x4 as long as blizzard soon TM to get anything done, it took them 10 years to FINALLY make a new player experience, the handled the pandemic BY FAR the worst out of any esports (they just took ~160 million from crowd funding and did literally nothing with it).

Also Dota 2 didnt crush all his competitors, LoL is doing quite well (as much as I loathe Riot, there game is fine). Valve would and could never make an MMO, requires to dedicated a team to work one, they can barely dedicate a team to keep dota 2 going.

As for the anime, was alright, enjoyed the invoker story a lot more than I thought I would, DK story was fine, the story of the nightwoods characters was fun. Nothing crazy, but a solid start. Will watch season/parts 2 and 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    LOL at vanilla being the zenith, or expecting valve to do anything with the game. I love dota 2, but valve literally takes x4 as long as blizzard soon TM to get anything done, it took them 10 years to FINALLY make a new player experience, the handled the pandemic BY FAR the worst out of any esports (they just took ~160 million from crowd funding and did literally nothing with it).

Also Dota 2 didnt crush all his competitors, LoL is doing quite well (as much as I loathe Riot, there game is fine). Valve would and could never make an MMO, requires to dedicated a team to work one, they can barely dedicate a team to keep dota 2 going.

As for the anime, was alright, enjoyed the invoker story a lot more than I thought I would, DK story was fine, the story of the nightwoods characters was fun. Nothing crazy, but a solid start. Will watch season/parts 2 and 3.
    Classic was, the growth in TBC and WotLk, came off the back of classic, that was the main engine of success. The two expansions were pretty well done, they need to be to keep the ball rolling,

but, how many people joined world of Warcraft classic, then how many new ones joined TBC, , then WtoLk.. every expansion had fewer and fewer new members, even though they provided increases.

Classic was the zenith, classic reboot proves it

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Classic was, the growth in TBC and WotLk, came off the back of classic, that was the main engine of success. The two expansions were pretty well done, they need to be to keep the ball rolling,

but, how many people joined world of Warcraft classic, then how many new ones joined TBC, , then WtoLk.. every expansion had fewer and fewer new members, even though they provided increases.

Classic was the zenith, classic reboot proves it
    Classic wasn't the zenith, and growth continued/was big because it was new. Many/most aspects of the game have improved over the year, but people require new/different stimuli to be entertained, so of course new people/high numbers are hard to find. Hundreds of millions of people have played wow, so of course there isn't a huge population of new people to get to play the game, not to mention it is a hard sell to get people to play a 15 year old game (look at old phones, a lot of people replace their phones every 1-2 years).

Classic reboot proved jack shit, it had a large population surge at release because quite a few people never got to play as they were too young/busy, it had some veterans return to experience it again, and it had a group of people that enjoyed that play style. That small group of people that enjoyed that play style are now all that is left basically.

If you want to continue to live in delusion land have at it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.