Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    If I were in your shoes, I would just go down to the local computer store and talk to one of the dudes there. Let them know what you're budget is and that all you do is browse the web. They can either offer you a good pre-built machine or maybe a second hand one that will suit your needs. Plus you'll have bought local, which is nice.
    Pretty much.

Tell the guy to print out system specifications and toss them here and we would verify it and let you know if you're getting a good deal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    It will definitely compute.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't understand why questions keep getting ignored.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

For your needs it will work just fine.

Because of the 100% disk usage in my other thread, and I don't know how to put in a new hard drive.
    You should watch a youtube video on replacing a hard drive. It is really easy. Your hard drive is probably fine. You just need to delete, uninstall or move some of the stuff to another drive to make room on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine enough. Will do what it needs to do.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-03-28 at 04:43 AM.

Im with Chazus here.

If you're truly concerned about money, the total refusal to answer questions that could save you hundreds is completely puzzling.

If you just want to buy a new computer.. buy a new computer. Dont feel the need to make up an excuse, particularly here with people who dont and to whom you dont have to justify your decision.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting a new computer. Retail therapy is a thing. (Im literally typing this on the new 2020 iiPad Pro 11" that i bought a few hours ago to replace my perfectly usable first gen 9.7" pro because i just wanted a new one).

But if you really want to save money...

im with Chazus.

Answer the questions, and we can probably save you hundreds.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-03-28 at 05:27 AM.

I've made up my mind. I'm buying a new computer.

I've wanted a new computer for a while, and this seems like a good excuse to get one.

Even if I replaced my hard drive or did anything else to fix the problem, my computer is 7-8 years old. Computers are lucky to last 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I said I didn't want a laptop, but would a modern laptop be better than my 7-8 year old computer?

I mean, it would be better than nothing, right?
    Last edited by CastletonSnob; 2021-03-28 at 04:32 PM.

This is the most entertaining thread that I have read in a good while.

In order for this posting to be on-topic, to CastletonSnob: Your question(s) have been answered already, go read.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I said I didn't want a laptop, but would a modern laptop be better than my 7-8 year old computer?
    Well to 100% answer that question need to know what your current computer is, but chances are it will be considerably better.

You should take this opportunity to consider laptop imo, because all you want is internet and such, so might as well get a benefit of portable PC you can carry around if needed.

15+ Year Old Account
    My computer is 7-8 years old, and I plan on buying a new one.

What should I look for if I just plan on browsing the internet? What's the price for a good computer?
    As others have said, if you are just looking to browse the internet just use a smartphone. The price of computers right now is insane because of the bitcoin market. Video cards are expensive as fuck because the demand of them far exceeds the supply of them. I was pricing computers last month and most video cards are almost $700 for "ok" ones and upwards of $900+ for "good" ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    As others have said, if you are just looking to browse the internet just use a smartphone. The price of computers right now is insane because of the bitcoin market. Video cards are expensive as fuck because the demand of them far exceeds the supply of them. I was pricing computers last month and most video cards are almost $700 for "ok" ones and upwards of $900+ for "good" ones.
    He does not need any video card, he can buy a desktop/laptop for 500 bucks, quite a few were linked already, that will do everything he needs and integrated graphics are more than enough, or some shit like GT730 for pennies as "GPU", that nobody cares about.

Not sure why people keep suggesting him stuff he does not need - he wants a personal computer - let him have it.

I've made up my mind. I'm buying a new computer.

I've wanted a new computer for a while, and this seems like a good excuse to get one.

Even if I replaced my hard drive or did anything else to fix the problem, my computer is 7-8 years old. Computers are lucky to last 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, it would be better than nothing, right?
    Well, since all you do is browse the internet, it might be a good idea to grab a Chromebook. It requires less software maintenance than a Windows laptop, can save you a few bucks and well, it's pretty much designed to be a seamless internet experience.

The Acer Chromebook Spin 713 would be like a rocketship for your needs: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-ch...&skuId=6416477

Oh man, the inexperience, anxiety filled posts that the OP is putting off is reminding me of my old self before I sat down and actually educated myself on how to build PC's.
    @CastletonSnob

You're posting on a Video game focused forum, so I assume you do play games. But you posted it will only be used for internet browsing, is this true? Are you planning on playing absolutely zero games on this?

If you're planning on getting a Laptop I can't help you there as I never got myself into them, just my limited Desktop knowledge.

From the limited information you gave, yes your PC can use an upgrade. I highly suggest you watch Youtube guides on how to either Build or change out parts. Literally it is not that difficult to do. I personally recommend watching https://www.youtube.com/c/CareyHolzman/videos .. His videos are IMO the most well informed PC building videos. His videos are EXTREMELY long, but for a reason. He gets in depth to every part and build he does, does not edit out critical information like most PC building videos do.

Personally I'd save your money a bit longer, sure 500-600 will get you a more than good enough Desktop (Maybe a laptop?) for basic browsing. Squeeze out a few more months from your current PC and make your budget 1000-1300 and you'll be in a way better shape for a Prebuilt PC, or if you can teach yourself how to build one yourself you'll be in an even way better spot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    He does not need any video card, he can buy a desktop/laptop for 500 bucks, quite a few were linked already, that will do everything he needs and integrated graphics are more than enough, or some shit like GT730 for pennies as "GPU", that nobody cares about.

Not sure why people keep suggesting him stuff he does not need - he wants a personal computer - let him have it.
    Probably because if you read his fiirst post he literally said "My computer is 7-8 years old, and I plan on buying a new one" followed by "What should I look for if I just plan on browsing the internet? What's the price for a good computer?". Meaning he already has a computer and he wants to buy a new one simply because its 7-8 years old. If you read his follow up comments you'll see that he's brought up how he doesn't want a laptop, said he thinks its going to die because it says 100% disk usage (meaning hard drive is full), has been told by others before posting this thread that it has been recommended to just replace the hard drive (to give more space and not be the 100% disk usage), and then ended it with "Even if I replaced my hard drive or did anything else to fix the problem, my computer is 7-8 years old. Computers are lucky to last 5 years". His assumption that a computer only lasts 5 years is beyond wrong especially if all he's doing is browsing the internet. My grandma had a laptop I used to do her bills every month that lasted for over 10 years because all she (well me really) ever did was use it to browse the internet to do her bills. If you're not gaming there's no need to upgrade a computer to "bigger & better" if its working just fine now. If the only issue he has is the 100% disk usage then all that needs to be done is spend like $50-100 to get a hard drive and pay another $50-ish to have it installed by a computer store or $20 for some random guy he finds on Facebook Marketplace or somewhere else to install it in 10 minutes. But yes, you are right that he doesn't need a video card because he can get an integrated system but the whole point is this whole thing is 100% unnecessary because its just a storage issue not that his computer is going to die. The reason why people (including myself) have told @CastletonSnob not to bother getting a computer is because there's no reason to and it would be a waste of money to get a new computer just because you don't want to buy a hard drive and have it installed on an older model PC that you're just going to use for browsing the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Phew. I guess @chazus can shut this down then. Seems like you needed no input and just wanted to talk about buying your new computer.
    Yeah, almost like what he wrote in OP and topic.

/shrug

I bought a new computer yesterday, but my computer's actually doing well right now, so I'm having second thoughts.

But lots of people buy new phones or computers they don't really need, right?

Yes, I think so.