Poll: Does WoW Need a New Direction If 9.1 Flops?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: If 9.1 Bombs...

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    So no M+ speedrunning e-sport trash, no borrowed power, basically take the game back to how it was when it was good
    given M+ is probably the most popular thing they added in past decade i wouldnt hold breath for it being removed...
    sure there are people who dont like it (like with every feature), but i doubt there is enough of them for bliz to even consider removing it...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-03-28 at 09:04 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Citation, source etc needed.
    There is no source. We know fuck all internally, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. We can maybe infer things based on what we can see, but we can't know anything for certain.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not to forget...over the last few x-pacs there were still approx 3-3.5 million ppl buying it on "day 1" (yeah..I know..that includes pre-orders)

I get it...that is less than the 8 million who played Vanilla or the 10 million who played TBC or the 12 million who played Wrath etc. Yes...WoW is in a decline...no arguing.
    Wrath sold 2.8M copies first 24 hours (it was record back then, just like SL). For TBC we have only first month - 3.53M copies. Sales are not subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Agreed. MoP to me was the last time WoW was WoW, and even if I do not plan on coming back, likely ever, I would like to see WoW prosper and be better again.
    nice stance "i dont play and i wont but i want them to fuck up game for everyone who likes it and plays it"
    damn your ego seems more inflated than venezuelan currency

So Shadowlands was the fastest selling PC game of all time (for about a week although after how badly cyberpunk shit the bed I wonder how many refunds there were lol) therefore it sold more units that ANY other expansion on launch day. It sold 3.7 million units on launch day so lets say it's sold 5 million copies (which we don't know the true number but not everyone will buy it on launch day and 5 million may be an underestimate). That means even if 60% of the playerbase has stopped playing there are still 2 million active subs in retail plus another 3-400,000 playing classic.

Personally I am mildly burned out on the current patch content but I'm less burned out than I was in BFA and Shadowlands is on par with legion for me. I can't see 9.1 bombing and seriously these "wow in dying" style threads have been around since WoW launched and it's still here. The one thing that you can always guarantee is that no matter what blizzard do some portion of the population will be annoyed about it. You can't keep everyone happy and they are well aware of that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Wrath sold 2.8M copies first 24 hours (it was record back then, just like SL). For TBC we have only first month - 3.53M copies. Sales are not subs.
    that is correct, as far as we know expansion sales were always lower than subs

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Agreed. MoP to me was the last time WoW was WoW, and even if I do not plan on coming back, likely ever, I would like to see WoW prosper and be better again.
    nice stance "i dont play and i wont but i want them to fuck up game for everyone who likes it and plays it"
    damn your ego seems more inflated than venezuelan currency
    You should read your quote again...

Financially wow is going fantastic. I doubt 9.1 will dissapoint in that regard. People going to sub up again even though the wait time has been long.

In the meantime its BC hype, then BC release and probably a mount or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeychris View Post
    So Shadowlands was the fastest selling PC game of all time (for about a week although after how badly cyberpunk shit the bed I wonder how many refunds there were lol) therefore it sold more units that ANY other expansion on launch day. It sold 3.7 million units on launch day so lets say it's sold 5 million copies (which we don't know the true number but not everyone will buy it on launch day and 5 million may be an underestimate). That means even if 60% of the playerbase has stopped playing there are still 2 million active subs in retail plus another 3-400,000 playing classic.

Personally I am mildly burned out on the current patch content but I'm less burned out than I was in BFA and Shadowlands is on par with legion for me. I can't see 9.1 bombing and seriously these "wow in dying" style threads have been around since WoW launched and it's still here. The one thing that you can always guarantee is that no matter what blizzard do some portion of the population will be annoyed about it. You can't keep everyone happy and they are well aware of that fact.
    People should be better at taking breaks from the game. Either have active sub and play less or just unsub for a longer period. It actually makes wow more enjoyable when you return. I've played since vanilla and so many times did I fall into the trap of just staying subbed and playing more than I liked because there was always something to do or out of sheer habit. I gotta admit, after playing it all these years its a habit of mine to play the game. Not many other games has stayed with me(and many others) for so long. But for several years now i've taken short and looong breaks when I felt like.

WoW is the sort of game you never really "finish". Theres always something to do. Even if 9.1 would suck, theres going to be alot of stuff to do for many people.

And yeah - these kinds of threads has been around since BC launched back in the day. I still remember people talking about it being the end of wow, but here we are.

We on this forum cant forget that we are just a tiny fraction of the playerbase. Most people dont go here at all.

And when 9.1 does launch - people will forget the waittime, enjoy the heck out of the patch and sooner or later start complaining again.

The hard part for me is by this point in an "every other" expansion, I'm toying with the brand new class that just came out. I'm running old content for fun with that new class. I'm just doing lots of things with the new class that isn't my main just to give it a fair try. However, we didn't get a new class in this "other" expansion and the content feels like it should be there and it's not. So it has left me with nothing to do for months now.

Quote Originally Posted by lachlol View Post
    1) WoW will never die. Even the most hardcore haters will always return to play it for a month or two - that is beyond doubt.
    Thats only now when the game is still being developed and maintained. The moment blizzard aren't making money on it anymore. Then even the most hardcore fans won't come back, when there is nothing left to do and there is no new content coming

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What previewed content? We essentially know next to nothing about the patch..
    Big raid, big megadungeon, new zone. Granted, we don’t know more than that, but at least the buzz words sound... good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Besides the mega dungeon, the main feature is some ill defined maw stuff and a raid that will probably look alot like torghast already does. Well and flying in zones that are now obsolete. For the vast majority of casuals a mega dungeon is nothing that concerns them as it excludes non-premade groups until the next patch. That leaves pretty much just flying in obsolete zones, whatever we get in the maw - which so far is hardly exciting people as part of the endgame - and another 8 weeks of drip fed campaign progression.

It looks decent for everyone who is playing at least semi organized or above, but I'm not so sure about everyone else on the lower end tbh.
    As I said above, the buzz words sound good. If SoD is just a raid in a Torghast Setting, it will be very underwhelming. Torghast looks awful and I don’t want reused assets here. But that’s most likely what we’ll get. A 10 boss raid sounds pretty good though.

I guess the best thing might be the new mega dungeon in a completely fresh setting, but we have to see anything of 9.1 yet to judge it. I just found the overall bullet points of new big raid, new big mega dungeon and new zone quite good for a .1 patch which usually is small in scope.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

WoW is dead! Since, let me think. Oh right, WoW is dead since TBC. I think WoW is the only game that dies every three months for the last 13 years.

At least I can laugh at "Towelliee's Blizzard contact" and Bellular, both of them should work for 5-Minute Crafts, Lifehack's Facebook Page or some other Clickbaitcrap.

Le jeu est mort, vive le jeu

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I don’t think 9.1 will bomb, its previewed content looks really good.

But the longer it takes, the more people will lose interest and just leave. And then there’s TBC which is a bigger motivation to play than 9.1, if you’re torn between them.

The WoW team is in dire need of new talents and a new head, Ion is part of the problem. If the expansion after Shadowlands is just Legion 4.0 this game is basically dead. They have a chance to revive retail with an expansion that has the scope of Legion. If they don’t, I fear it will cause damage than can’t be undone (if Shadowlands didn’t do that already).
    preview is VERY different than finished. if you haven't learned this from no man's sky, cyberpunk 2077, or aliens: colonial marines, then you are the target for these kinds of things. previews don't matter anymore.

If it fails then there is no point in even trying to keep SL afloat anymore, just pull another WoD and move on to the next expansion entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    preview is VERY different than finished. if you haven't learned this from no man's sky, cyberpunk 2077, or aliens: colonial marines, then you are the target for these kinds of things. previews don't matter anymore.
    I mean none of those are really comparable to a patch for a 17 year old game? The preview looks good in that we have 17 years old established game and the new stuff they say they are adding looking good. Not an entirely new game no one has ever played before "looks good".

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not to forget...over the last few x-pacs there were still approx 3-3.5 million ppl buying it on "day 1" (yeah..I know..that includes pre-orders)

I get it...that is less than the 8 million who played Vanilla or the 10 million who played TBC or the 12 million who played Wrath etc. Yes...WoW is in a decline...no arguing.
    Wrath and TBC didn’t have 10/12M buys on day one or even close to it they were around like 2m. Day one subs are always way more then double the day one sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Wrath and TBC didn’t have 10/12M buys on day one or even close to it they were around like 2m. Day one subs are always way more then double the day one sales.
    The Wrath numbers didn't include preorders, I believe, and even more importantly didn't include China.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    This might have been true in the past, but I doubt it’s true anymore.

I‘m pretty sure day 1 sales of each expansion are the high point for the subs in that expansion. I really doubt that after day 1 the subs increase and reach higher highs than that of the initial sales.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The game doesn't need drastic changes. It just needs more frequent updates.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The Wrath numbers didn't include preorders, I believe, and even more importantly didn't include China.
    why do you think the wrath numbers wouldn't include preorders? preording was absolutely thing about then with mid night releases and what not.

China also doesn't need to buy expansions they get them for free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    This might have been true in the past, but I doubt it’s true anymore.

I‘m pretty sure day 1 sales of each expansion are the high point for the subs in that expansion. I really doubt that after day 1 the subs increase and reach higher highs than that of the initial sales.
    they said in legion that it hit a new peak for players so it broke the 12m or wrath/cata and they said that shadowlands was preforming above legion so its safe to say its still the case and there getting way more sub then day one sales.