Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    It's not an opinion. It's pay to win by definition because it's supplying you with an advantage over other players that aren't throwing real money at Blizzard. It doesn't matter how minor people think it is. It grants an advantage so that makes it pay to win even if it's not a HUGE boost to your character's power. That's the facts. Any time you can spend real money to gain an advantage over players who aren't spending real world money, no matter how small the advantage is, it becomes a form of pay to win.
    ..I didn't say it wasn't. I said it was an ACCEPTABLE variant for most people as yes it provides an advantage but not one large enough to matter in the grand scheme of things. To me its problematic when the BIS gear comes from a cash shop, but skip to the latest expansion? 1 out of 10 people actually care

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    When they act like, valor would be a real replacement for wf/tf, It is not even possible to upgrade up to the actual wf/tf ilvl value.

When they act like Vanilla was "harder" because we were children - Have you ever played on this very special pserver which i am not allowed to name? The real Vanilla Timewarp

When they act like they don't use "borrowed power system" to only sell it to other games

When they act like they are not riot games and dropping wow for league mmo

- - - Updated - - -

when they nerf ilvl gold value after the removal of longboi

- - - Updated - - -

When they fire people and give ceo 200m

- - - Updated - - -

when they release unfinished expansion and a 6 months sub + mount 2 months after

- - - Updated - - -

xoxo
    1010c

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    No you fucking haven't. Here's other definitions, that I know you skipped over in google.....

pay-to-win
    Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.

Pay to Win
    PTW is used in gaming with the meaning "Pay to Win" to refer to games that allow players to purchase items or abilities (e.g., more powerful weapons, additional health points) that give them an advantage in the game, either over other players or NPCs (Non-Player Characters).
    So like buying WoW tokens to get BOE gear to progress through raids? That gives all major guilds and others who spend cash for gold an advantage to "purchase items or abilities (e.g., more powerful weapons, additional health points) that give them an advantage in the game, either over other players or NPCs"

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The lore and writing used to be great. BfA and Shadowlands writing/plot is exceptionally bad, though.
    Wasn't my point. Your opinion is fine as is. I just hate the people who dislike wow lore on principle or lack of knowledge.
    For me, SL is great bc I'm a fan of cosmic wow lore, same as Legion, but I completely understand why someone shouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    When they act like, valor would be a real replacement for wf/tf, It is not even possible to upgrade up to the actual wf/tf ilvl value.

When they act like Vanilla was "harder" because we were children - Have you ever played on this very special pserver which i am not allowed to name? The real Vanilla Timewarp

When they act like they don't use "borrowed power system" to only sell it to other games

When they act like they are not riot games and dropping wow for league mmo

- - - Updated - - -

when they nerf ilvl gold value after the removal of longboi

- - - Updated - - -

When they fire people and give ceo 200m

- - - Updated - - -

when they release unfinished expansion and a 6 months sub + mount 2 months after

- - - Updated - - -

xoxo
    1010c
    You missed the point of this post by around 4/7.
    WoW players are all trash? M+ leavers? Pug raid fails? You don't have stuff to do? WoW has become a solo player game for you? People don't talk anymore? Everyone's toxic? I have a simple solution, just for you!
    Get social. Join a guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    It's not an advantage though, is it? When you hit cap, you are at a baseline for endgame content.

At level 59, you aren't put at a disadvantage when it comes to endgame activities because you literally aren't able to participate in them. Players below cap are as much at a disadvantage when it comes to participating in endgame content as I am when it comes to competing in the Grand Prix.

You're really stretching the definition of 'advantage' top the point of total prolapse here.
    An advantage worth real money and a bannable offence. Its the advantage of not having to level, the advantage of getting to end game content faster. Not a long term one I'll conceed but then theres buying gold which is far far worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keelr View Post
    When the boost came i was in a competitive rated bg guild back in mop/wod. Those people literall only logged on to que rbgs, this is what they enjoyed and this is what they had time for. We weren't kids or university students. We had 8-11hours jobs already back then. The boost made it actually possible for us to play an alt since we didn't have time for levelling. This made us further enjoyment possible but we really didn't gain any advantage. If you could boost some character into gladiator gear, now thats p2w etc. This is hardly at the border of p2w things.
    The "havnt got time to play" is such a lame excuse to justify the boost.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    The "havnt got time to play" is such a lame excuse to justify the boost.
    Why exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    You keep stating the same thing over and over and over all while thinking it is an explanation. You are also ignoring every logical point I've made.

1. I've shown you it is NOT an advantage by explaining a person who boosts a character likely will play that toon worse than a person that levels and will also likely have worse gear and less gold.
    2. There's no competition in leveling. So getting to "endgame' first is not an advantage. Its not even an achievement. Its literally nothing but a benchmark you fucking made up. For fuck's sake, buying the game before you, gives me the same advantage you're claiming a boost gives. Did the act of simply purchasing the game make it a pay to win? Of course not.
    3. I've explained that wow has gone percentage based, so different levels don't actually have a noticeable difference until you get gear, which you have to earn in endgame content no matter if you boosted or not.
    4. If paying for a boost is an advantage, then so is paying for a mount.....for the exact same reasons.
    5. I've given you examples of things that would count as an advantage and leveling faster isn't one of them.
    6. The only thing WoW does that comes close to pay for win, is game time tokens, since they can be sold for gold. that's it, but gold has been mostly trivialized at this point.
    If its not an advantage of any kind - why do people buy it?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People thinking that min max is toxic.

Been on with this today a lot lol. Min max is the natural thing to do developing a character. Toxicity is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    anything suggesting that the Blizzard store is Pay to Win.

I mean, we all know a matching Tmog boosts DPS by 10%, and a badass pet boosts it another 10%.

Kappa
    Paying for a boost to 2100 will increase dps by a lot more than 10%...

But keep believing your precious game is a meritocracy

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    Paying for a boost to 2100 will increase dps by a lot more than 10%...

But keep believing your precious game is a meritocracy
    expect you can't buy arenas boost in the blizzard store.

you dont HAVE to do it

Im kinda annoyed by the classic players losing their mind over a boost that puts you 2 levels behind in garbo gear, with no gold reserves, calling it pay to win. Its pay to maybe kill some boars and get an upgrade putting you about 80% behind players who are in tier 3... is it even 80% behind? Maybe 800% behind (since i recall having a few zg items and the original prepatch allowing me to purchase decent high warlord weapons) i never replaced them until around 63ish... tier THREE? And all that gold? Didnt those dudes only start replacing their gear literally at (or very near) end game?

The absolute injustice! :/

Oh, and before they start crying at me, if i resub for TBC, its ONLY to reroll my favorite wow character of all time, my (TBC... exclusive to be clear) resto shaman spacegoat. I wont be buying a boost. My rogue spent enough time in shattrath spamming trade for tanks and heals in 2006 to know its the worst course of action (boost or no boost).

Random point, i remember my spacegoat making a fortune going dual gathering (before eventually switching to engineering). Now that the meta exists (leatherworking), i guess she's gonna have to be a skinner/miner. God, i hate metas (and love them because my level 20 resto shammy in pre patch gets to grind all the zones for drums that tier 3 naxx cleared neckbeards cant be bothered to farm).

ETA2: buying carries (in heroic/mythic raids and pvp) is a nebulous grey area. I genuinely think its pay to win, but pay2win is a very specific term related to very specific game design (and other players will endlessly bring this definition up to invalidate your info despite it being defacto pay to win if not de jure). So we need a new term to define this.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-03-30 at 11:40 AM. Reason: all kinds of edits

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Im kinda annoyed by the classic players losing their mind over a boost that puts you 2 levels behind in garbo gear, with no gold reserves, calling it pay to win. Its pay to maybe kill some boars and get an upgrade putting you about 80% behind players who are in tier 3... is it even 80% behind? Maybe 800% behind (since i recall having a few zg items and the original prepatch allowing me to purchase decent high warlord weapons) i never replaced them until around 63ish... tier THREE? And all that gold?

The absolute injustice! :/

Oh, and before they start crying at me, if i resub for TBC, its ONLY going to be to reroll my favorite wow character of all time, my resto shaman spacegoat. I wont be buying a boost. My rogue spent enough time in shattrath spamming trade for tanks and heals in 2006 to know its the worst course of action (boost or no boost).
    Apparently winning the game = Reaching level 58. That's good news really, then you won't have to catch up to those that have been 60 for two years and you won't have to go to outland and level to 70, you've already won.

Why exactly?
    More grinds await you in TBC.

At least be honest enough to say that you don't want to spend time leveling, rather than hiding behind "i don't have the time", because people that don't have the time to level a character will struggle to get a footing in TBC's endgame anyway.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the typical WoW-player syndrome:

"My class is so complicated yet sucks, while the rest are overpowered and piss easy!"

Yeah, right...

And what's worse - good luck explaining to these people how they lack enough experience and knowledge to properly judge classes. Because in their own eyes, they are the wunderkinds of WoW.

Go play Retail/Classic.

It's such a stupid "argument" to "end the discussion". People acting that TBC belongs to them and other can't even talk about it. Pisses me off quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Lets help you out a little. You are at the start line of a 70 lap race. Just as the lights go green, someone pays race control $60 and is instantly on lap 58. You are saying "they.do.not.gain.an.advantage". This is how you sound. This is what you are saying.

Your argument is "no, its not an advantage, because there are many races in the season, so it doesnt count".

You are welcome to argue that it is not a game breaking advantage, or that you personally dont consider it a very large advantage - but to say it is not an advantage is just naive.

If you don't like that analogy, how about this one: You turn up on race day, to a track everyone has driven on hundreds of times. You bust your ass for a few days through qualifying, trying to get that very important poll position, then someone wanders up to race control, hands them $60, and they are gifted poll position. They can still get in as much testing as they want, but on race day, there is nothing you can do - they have poll position.
    It’s not a race. There’s no race. Me getting to level 58 before you means nothing. I didn’t beat you, because we aren’t in a competition.

Any competition in wow is based upon people at the same level or cooperative versus the game.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2021-03-30 at 11:56 AM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Apparently winning the game = Reaching level 58. That's good news really, then you won't have to catch up to those that have been 60 for two years and you won't have to go to outland and level to 70, you've already won.
    Hang on! Youre telling me i wont even have to play the expansion and i win! In my questing blues? Well thats clearly pay2win! Why are we even discussing this?

Dude... (person youre arguing against), dude... im a level 58 rogue. Do you even remember what happens to a level 58 rogue around level 60 pathing mobs with a huge aggro radius? This is pay2respawn. Maybe pay2vanish if its not on cooldown. Maybe then pay2checkforpathingmobsinstealthinsheerterroratapotentialcorpserun.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-03-30 at 11:56 AM. Reason: "potential"

expect you can't buy arenas boost in the blizzard store.
    I mean, you can buy gold to then buy a boost.

There's not a single thing in this game that you can't buy with real money, though it's not always directly.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I mean, you can buy gold to then buy a boost.

There's not a single thing in this game that you can't buy with real money, though it's not always directly.
    This way every game is P2W since i can just pay for someone to play my cs:go account etc.