When did Modern WoW start?

A New, more Modern Orgrimmar!

Modern WoW or Retail WoW
    Retail WoW or Modern WoW
    Whatever you say.

Modern WoW era: 2015 to Present??

The Modern WoW Era:

WoW being an Esports, Arenas, Rated Battlegrounds, Transmogrification, Dungeon Finder Tool, Premade Groups Finder Tool, Raid Finder Tool, Cross Realms, The WoW Token, Pet Battles, Toy Box, Linked Auction Houses, The New Auction House Interface 2019-21?, Reagent Bank, Void Storage, 30-slot Hexweave Bags, Professions are still useless, No Social Interaction any more in PUGS, Toxic PUG Community, elitism in PUGS, Introduction of Mythic+, No Social Interaction any more at all in WoW, Gear is boring now, Sooo Many Ways To Get Gear, Guild Finder which still sucks, etc.

- started when everything started being dumbed down, being more casual friendly.

- Blizzard catering to the casuals.

- Making everything easy.

- When they added the pandas

Button bloat.
    Too Many Abilities Now.
    Blizzard removing Button Bloat.
    When Blizzard started removing abilities because too many.

Example: Druid's Ability Symbiosis (back in the day)
    The Druid would cast Symbiosis on a friendly target
    The Druid would get an ability of their class
    And the friendly target would get an ability of the Druid

"Yes! I got Cyclone!!!" as a melee rogue.

We are old now lol:

It is 2021. People are old now lol. Families/Kids/More Responsiblities in Life. We as a people have changed, gotten older, got married, had kids, are more familiar with the game, know how to play WoW now (from our noob days starting WoW for first time lol). We want Instant Gratification. We don't want to work for our gear. We just want our gear handed to us lol. Instant Gratification FTW. We just want things now. Kids and their Fortnites. Kids with their V-Bucks they can just buy it (Outfits, Emotes, etc). They just want to buy it. They just want it now! Not have to work for anything. Kids and Young People Today don't want to work for anything any more. Instant Gratification FTW.

Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-08-03 at 04:20 PM.

With Cataclysm.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The first age of WoW was vanilla-wotlk

The second age was Cata-WOD.

The modern and third age of WoW is legion to now

WotLK might be called a transitioning phase, but really it all started for real with Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow changed in cata.
    modern wow started in wod.
    since then it was never really truly the same. fortunately they keep 99% of the stuff in game. alts allows to revive the old stuff and it's great.

also to be noted, the game also changed a lot in mop. in terms of data organization and rewards, wow started to get much more "messy" in mop with things like flag quest and non documented quest in the database, as well as an amount of feat of strengths that was multiplied by 5 or 10. so cata+mop changed the game forever and wod was its first "new" form.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2021-03-31 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post

Yup this pretty much sums it up. I think with Legion, they've leaned more towards the competitive nature of the game.

5+ Year Old Account

This.

• Vanilla - WotLK, aka the (most) RPG era.
    • Cata - WoD, aka the streamlining era.
    • Legion onwards, aka the borrowed power era.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Yeah this is probably the best summary. The change away from the original concept happened during cataclysm, and then it was kicked into full gear with legion onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    This.

• Legion onwards, aka the borrowed power and "check r.io" era.
    Fixed that for ya
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

There are 3 eras of wow.

vanilla tbc wotlk is the wow msot of us grew up on, and consider true wow. and i know that wotlk added shit towards the end that led to problems, but it was still considered apart of the classic era

then you have cata and mop (and maybe wod) in another era, integrating changes that were detrimental to the game, this is where the game changed majorly and they also started losing subs majorly. thats not to say every expac didnt have good things with them, but here they started forgetting what made wow good in the first place.

then you have the current era, wod till now, completey unrecognizeable wow compared to the first era, completey different game, and a completey boring game tbh

1.Classic & TBC is its own era, where the game has been the most MMORPG like.
    2.Cata & MoP is where they focused on gameplay and streamlined the shit out of it for its own sake.
    3.Legion, BfA & SL places a heavy focus on systems.

Wotlk is a mixed breed between the first and second - but most certainly not part of the former in my opinion.
    WoD is similiar to Wotlk in that aspect, somewhere between Cata / MoP and Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    This.

• Legion onwards, aka the borrowed power era.
    I would say:

Vanilla-BC: WTF are we doing - era
    WOTLK-Cata: We could kill every lorecharacter left - era
    MoP - WoD: lets try some weird shit era
    legion - BfA: I heared you like grinding - era
    SL - ??: Lets just take stuff from every other era- era

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    I am just going to copy/paste it from Notepad lol
    I may edit and organize this later:

Modern WoW or Retail WoW
    Retail WoW or Modern WoW
    Whatever you say.

Modern WoW era: 2015 to Present??

The Modern WoW Era:

WoW being an Esports, Arenas, Rated Battlegrounds, Transmogrification, Dungeon Finder Tool, Premade Groups Finder Tool, Raid Finder Tool, Cross Realms, The WoW Token, Pet Battles, Toy Box, Linked Auction Houses, The New Auction House Interface 2019-21?, Reagent Bank, Void Storage, 30-slot Hexweave Bags, Professions are still useless, No Social Interaction any more in PUGS, Toxic PUG Community, elitism in PUGS, Introduction of Mythic+, No Social Interaction any more at all in WoW, Gear is boring now, Sooo Many Ways To Get Gear, Guild Finder which still sucks, etc.

- started when everything started being dumbed down, being more casual friendly.

- Blizzard catering to the casuals.

- Making everything easy.

- When they added the pandas

Button bloat.
    Too Many Abilities Now.
    Blizzard removing Button Bloat.
    When Blizzard started removing abilities because too many.

Example: Druid's Ability Symbiosis (back in the day)
    The Druid would cast Symbiosis on a friendly target
    The Druid would get an ability of their class
    And the friendly target would get an ability of the Druid

"Yes! I got Cyclone!!!" as a melee rogue.

We are old now lol:

It is 2021. People are old now lol. Families/Kids/More Responsiblities in Life. We as a people have changed, gotten older, got married, had kids, are more familiar with the game, know how to play WoW now (from our noob days starting WoW for first time lol). We want Instant Gratification. We don't want to work for our gear. We just want our gear handed to us lol. Instant Gratification FTW. Kids and their Fortnites. Kids with their V-Bucks they can just buy it lol. They just want to buy it. Not have to work for anything. Kids and Young People Today don't want to work for anything any more. Instant Gratification FTW.

ok boomer.

It basically lines up with who was in charge, more or less, with Vanilla - LK, Cata - WOD, and then Legion +

Thankfully we're in the best era of the game!

Vanilla, TBC, Wrath is era 1.
    Cata, Mists, WoD is era 2.
    Legion, BFA, SL is era 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post
    WotLK might be called a transitioning phase, but really it all started for real with Cataclysm.
    classic wow was the baby growing into a toddler and young child, TBC was that child growing into a teenager and then a young adult, WOTLK at the start was that metaphorical human growing into a more mature adult and growing old gracefully, then towards the end going a bit senile with old age getting cranky and wanting to relive the glory days, this is 'gen 1'.

cataclysm starts and the clone is born, it rushes out the gate trying to run before it can walk, grows very quickly thinking it can do better than the previous versions but ends up making catastrophic errors and has to be humbled along the way before dying a long and slow death, this is 'gen 2'.

MoP starts and a new type of clone is born, this time around there's a mix of old and new, tries to play off nostalgia and it backfires but pushes forwards, has a strong mid-life and ends on a note that is neither better or worse than what came before, this is 'gen 3'.

WoD starts and is full of promise, the new clone type has been tweaked some more and early on things look promising, but quickly starts making the same mistakes it's predecessors made but made them much sooner in the life cycle and made far more of the same mistakes leading to it ending very poorly and being remembered in infamy, this is 'gen 4'.

Legion starts and we have another innovation on the 'clone' an amalgamation of 'nostalgia' with new features that grows quickly and matures early thanks to seeming learning from the mistakes of the past, a few stumbles here and there but overall has a pleasant existence and is remembered well, this is 'gen 5'.

BFA starts and we find that the 'clone' has become a horrific amalgamation of all that came before trying to incorporate all that made the previous iterations 'good' into one being and it backfires horribly, it's almost like it has regressed, and instead of taking a full expansion life cycle to make these mistakes and blunders, it happens on a 'seasonal' cadence which leads to even more mistakes being made down the road, dies horribly and is remembered as the worst iteration of its kind to exist, this is 'gen 5.5'.

i personally think there's been that many 'eras' of WoW, i don't even consider shadowlands a new 'generation' or 'era' to wow it's just a sequel to the mistake that was BFA, a continuation if you like and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Vanilla, TBC, Wrath is era 1.
    Cata, Mists, WoD is era 2.
    Legion, BFA, SL is era 3.
    I agree but watching your post made me realize the actual breaking point

Vanilla TBC = era 1
    Wrath = "something happened"
    Cata Mists WOD = era 2
    Legion+ = era 3
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2021-04-02 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    BC: We could kill every lorecharacter left - era
    This fits moreso. I still to this day remember the terrible anger on the forums with Vashj and Kael and Illidan getting killed. I think that's where the term loot piñata really started taking off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue it started in Wrath. Not fully but that is where the seeds were planted. By the end of Wrath definitely since that is when they added LFG. Cataclysm was the first to bear the full fruit from it all though. Not only did most of the systems you listed get added then but it literally changed the face of the world and "killed" the classic world.

Also I always laugh when people talk about Blizzard "making WoW easier". Sure it has gotten for the most part easier to do things but WoW's main selling point was ALWAYS how easy it was. For the time it was by far the most forgiving MMO to get into.

I do think they could try to find a better balance of the 2 eras but at this point as long as people keep showing up for expansion launches in insane numbers I don't see much changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vraul Jawrip View Post
    This fits moreso. I still to this day remember the terrible anger on the forums with Vashj and Kael and Illidan getting killed. I think that's where the term loot piñata really started taking off.
    Thats why i put a "left" behind^^

Because while we killed many of them in BC the overall confusion of the expansion on what it wants to be superseeded it for me. Loved it. But Blizz was totally confused what the goal of the pack was.