Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Red face Suggestions to keep the Story on Track!

I, like I think a lot of people, am knee-deep in Shadowlands's content given the dynamic release schedule this time around. I'm following what goes on with fan-favorites like Anduin, Sylvanas, Jaina and Thrall with interest in these new worlds of the afterlife that expand and improve upon previous material on what happens when you die. But also like a lot of fans I can't help but wonder what's going on back on Azeroth and if there is any criticism I can direct to this expansion, it's that Blizzard're backtracking on the exciting conclusion of Battle for Azeroth and the prospect of cross-faction cooperation and unification.

After putting so much effort in poignant moments like Saurfang and Anduin's discussion about honor in the cells of Stormwind to the heartwarming scene where Calia approaches the risen night elves and teaches them a lesson about hope, their new book Shadows Rising has Talanji as irrational and aggressive about the reciprocal attack on Dazar'alor and her father's self-inflicted fate and even the book's conclusion doesn't shake her out of it. At the same time, Anduin, who's consistently stood for a compelling message about forgiveness regardless of how dire the crime and unity condones torture.

In a tense social climate where toxicity is everywhere Battle for Azeroth took a strong stand away from it and in favor of values of universality and acceptance and how neither race, culture or even death can separate us from how we're fundamentally the same. Shadowlands's largely stayed the course, but books like Shadows Rising and the tonedeaf recent cinematics make me wonder. My suggestion would be to capitalize on one of the less prominent characters who came with us to the Shadowlands to take the fight to the ominous Jailer. Jaina and Thrall are of course mainstays and Baine has shown his mettle in Battle for Azeroth, after a strong introduction Calia Menethil has fallen to the wayside. As an oft-emphasized bridge between the living and dead her few appearances have shown better than any other character how to overcome even the most seemingly stifling differences and how little they actually mean. I appreciate her role in Shadowlands, especially if it leads into a possible reunion with the heir to Lordaeron Arthas and his possible return to the standing heroic cast. However, the choice to keep her away from the Azerothian narrative and focus instead on such zealous characters who talk about uniting the kingdoms of humanity and being aggressive, such as Turalyon, makes me worry that without a prominent role for her in the narrative Blizzard would slip back into bad habits and the people of our favorite world of Azeroth would suffer.

On an in-story level, a strong role for Calia is backed by her lasting and deep relations with such Horde and Forsaken mainstays like Baine Bloodhoof, the original Warchief Thrall himself and Derek and Delaryn and now that she's been accepted by the people of Lordaeron we deserve a story that focuses on her efforts to raise them up (haha ) after their dark, ignorant time and possibly helps the Horde learn the lessons of Pandaria the way she helped the unfortunate, vengeful undead night elves. On an out of story level, a character who defiantly breaks stereotypes about her race and communicates a brave message about bonding and uniting is what we need in these trying times and would discourage the toxic types who sadly still hang around this and other forums. The more I write about it, the more exciting it is!

What do y'all think? What would your idea be to follow up on the conclusion of Battle for Azeroth, and while we're at it, what do you think will happen to Anduin? I was really stressed when watching that new cinematic and worry that Blizzard might just make this last and hurt one of the most positive role models in the franchise? I'm welcome to hearing any ideas and would love to talk about how we can make both Azeroth and our real world a better place through Warcraft's storytelling!
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    There are few ways i think warcraft story can be enchanced and brought to next level.

Number one - more wheelchairs. We already had presence of wheelchair in one of hillsbrad quests but i don't think its enough to make people feel welcome. Thats why i would introduce our next big ally - wheelchairbound, a group of hot wheeled warriors fighting evil and inequality across cosmoc.

Number two - more hats. If popularity of touhou project and team fortress 2 proved something, its that people LOVE hats. Thats why now all lore characters will have their headgear revamped in collaboration with Yoshitoshi ABe, Takami Akai and Yoshitaka Amano.

Number three - more non lethal ways to solve conflict. And we all know that best way to solve problems is wrestling. Thats why i would flesh drogbar culture more and introduce new characters lie Billy Herringbrul and Mark Wolfbrul who would teach azerothians that noble art.

Number four - more singing and more musicals. Hearthstone already set preceder for a warcraft themed musicals and i would really love main games to follow suit. Daughter of sea was great and i want more. I think that allowing characters to sing their heart out would solve alot of problems and bring them closer.
    Take example of jailer. Many players complain that he is boring and poorly fleshed out. Now imagine would be happen if instead of normal boring shadowlands into, we had Jailer perform this:

Number five - more slice of life moments. I would love if instead yet another raid we got a patch focused fully on character relations.

Number six - more interracial relationships. If there is one thing i absolutely love to see more interracial marriages and halfbreeds. I think that half gnome, half pandaren would look super kawaii

Number seven and possibly most important - more amberstill ranch please. Possibly my favourite location in warcraft universe, i really believe it deserve more spotlight. Nothing makes me more excited than thought of those young, buff and tough, wild dwarven cowboys wearing nothing but a cowboy hats and their blue jeans. I think it would make for a great story to have anduin and wrathion to spent some time among them and learn from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    There are few ways i think warcraft story can be enchanced and brought to next level.

Number one - more wheelchairs. We already had presence of wheelchair in one of hillsbrad quests but i don't think its enough to make people feel welcome. Thats why i would introduce our next big ally - wheelchairbound, a group of hot wheeled warriors fighting evil and inequality across cosmoc.

Number two - more hats. If popularity of touhou project and team fortress 2 proved something, its that people LOVE hats. Thats why now all lore characters will have their headgear revamped in collaboration with Yoshitoshi ABe, Takami Akai and Yoshitaka Amano.

Number three - more non lethal ways to solve conflict. And we all know that best way to solve problems is wrestling. Thats why i would flesh drogbar culture more and introduce new characters lie Billy Herringbrul and Mark Wolfbrul who would teach azerothians that noble art.

Number four - more singing and more musicals. Hearthstone already set preceder for a warcraft themed musicals and i would really love main games to follow suit. Daughter of sea was great and i want more. I think that allowing characters to sing their heart out would solve alot of problems and bring them closer.
    Take example of jailer. Many players complain that he is boring and poorly fleshed out. Now imagine would be happen if instead of normal boring shadowlands into, we had Jailer perform this:

Number five - more slice of life moments. I would love if instead yet another raid we got a patch focused fully on character relations.

Number six - more interracial relationships. If there is one thing i absolutely love to see more interracial marriages and halfbreeds. I think that half gnome, half pandaren would look super kawaii

Number seven and possibly most important - more amberstill ranch please. Possibly my favourite location in warcraft universe, i really believe it deserve more spotlight. Nothing makes me more excited than thought of those young, buff and tough, wild dwarven cowboys wearing nothing but a cowboy hats and their blue jeans. I think it would make for a great story to have anduin and wrathion to spent some time among them and learn from them.
    Best post.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

We need Andy and Sylvie to consummate their marriage and create more light forged undead babies. This will be a great symbol on how once bitter rivals and enemies can become lovers. It also gives the Forsaken a path forward on continuing to exist. Just fuse them all with Light and their conundrum of existence is solved. They can still visually appear undead kind of, but not really suffer any ramifications for it while also be able to procreate without the use of horrifying necromantic techniques to raise corpses. And once everyone sees this work, the world of Azeroth will unite once and for all so we can all stand together in our fight against the next villains that decide to attack Azeroth (but only after the previous villain is defeated of course).

Pfft...game needs to be taken offline for a year and the damn lore rewritten.

Danuser is about to take a steaming pile of shit all over you lol

He did it to those who were waiting a decade+ for N'zoth, Azshara, Nyalotha, Kel'thuzad, Mueh'zala. He's going to do it again to those who are on the edge of their seats for his new stuff.

Seriously, I don't mean to piss in your cheerios or something. Enjoy what you enjoy. I'm just telling you how it's going to go, unfortunately. I used to defend WoW's lore and paid into all the theories and what not, scour the wiki pages, etc.

Then Danuser got put in as head of the writing department and destroyed everything, insulting not only the longtime fans, but the writers and their work before him as well.

Brilliantly done.

As for my ideas? Nothing too outrageous. One, Sylvanas should be stronger, faster and smarter then everyone else. Two, she should have access to a time machine. And lastly, whenever Sylvanas's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Sylvanas?"
    Last edited by bagina; 2021-04-01 at 05:26 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Is this April Fool’s errand? I have to agree though we need Anduin back safe and golden as he was before, because blue color doesn’t fit him well. It’s reserved for mages like me and wouldn’t associate it with any Arthas evil! It actually feels so weird and quite insulting that frost magic is so connected with necromancy. None even thought it could be just linked with just water? Since Sylvanas is going down with the Maw people of Lordaeron would definitely rise under new leadership, that would be interesting.
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2021-04-02 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    Brilliantly done.

As for my ideas? Nothing too outrageous. One, Sylvanas should be stronger, faster and smarter then everyone else. Two, she should have access to a time machine. And lastly, whenever Sylvanas's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Sylvanas?"
    *Sees your MMO-C title*

Yep, totally something a Dreadlord would say.

5+ Year Old Account
    My suggestions:

• Sylvanas attempts to betray the Jailor, so his sway over the Golden Boi subsides for a minute. Andy reacts, suffers no drawbacks whatsoever and is soon afterwards talking the Blue Man about being a nice guy. Sylvanas becomes so emotional that she throws herself to Andy's feet and begs for redemption, which, needless to say, is promptly granted. Not only that, he gets married with Sylv and they reign as King and Queen of Lordaeron.
    • Calia becomes a mix of Pope of the Holy Light and ambassador, so she undertakes a global PR campaign in order to convince everyone in Azeroth that the Forsaken aren't treacherous, cold hearted bastards anymore, but rather sensitive, good willed people. She gets full support from Andy and Sylv in this endeavour.
    • Turalyon gets initially upset at this, and kills a bunch of Calia's envoys, and attempts to kill Calia herself. However, he is slapped in the wrist by the God King, and promises to behave. Any Horde character who gets angry at this assassination attempt (should there remain any at this point) is promptly ridiculed and turned into an omnicidal monster. Bob looks like the best candidate. Needless to say, the assassination attempt in question is never brought forward ever again, because belfs are EEVVvUvuvL.
    • It is revealed near the end that Bob was in league with a Titan+++, one of the Very First Ones, who, as the name indicates, came before the First Ones, and were the ones who created the cosmic forces that we currently have today. For reasons unknown, one of them needs a huge supply of souls blood, so it's only logical that Bob, i.e. a blood elf, provides it to him. We also learn that Kael didn't name the surviving Thalassians as "blood elves" out of a whim, but rather because he had been working with the Very First Ones already at that time.

I think I could be the next lead writer of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I want - After the events of Shadowlands, Anduin is truly forever changed, but has learned enough through his experiences to truly be a king. The factions have learned to move past their hatreds to some extent and agree to a true peace treaty (though not one where Humans are living in Orgrimmar or the like). The remaining barriers to true peace (e.g. Talan'ji and her anger over Rastakhan's death) find a true resolution by the end of Shadowlands (e.g. Rastakhan visiting her from the Shadowlands). With this peace in place, each faction is able to spend an expansion rebuilding for their people, concluding open stories, and gearing for the future.

What I'll think I'll get - Anduin is redeemed and the Jailer is stopped through the help of Sylvanas. Everyone is ready to go back to normal, but Turalyon won't give the throne back due to Anduin's darkness. Yrel and her army invades Azeroth. The Light & Void invade and take out the Exodar & Silvermoon City, leaving yet more races crashing on couches in Stormwind/Orgrimmar. The story moves forward without threads like Gilneas being resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    ...and Bob's your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Danuser is about to take a steaming pile of shit all over you lol

He did it to those who were waiting a decade+ for N'zoth, Azshara, Nyalotha, Kel'thuzad, Mueh'zala. He's going to do it again to those who are on the edge of their seats for his new stuff.

Seriously, I don't mean to piss in your cheerios or something. Enjoy what you enjoy. I'm just telling you how it's going to go, unfortunately. I used to defend WoW's lore and paid into all the theories and what not, scour the wiki pages, etc.

Then Danuser got put in as head of the writing department and destroyed everything, insulting not only the longtime fans, but the writers and their work before him as well.
    steve "totally not jealous of metzen" danuser just got burned harder than teldrassil and stratholme together lmao
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    steve "totally not jealous of metzen" danuser just got burned harder than teldrassil and stratholme together lmao
    LOL that's a good one. Seriously, the dude had "I write the wow stories you love, others wrote the other ones" as his Twitter bio for a long time.

He erased it now so maybe he's been humbled. Who am I kidding? He's going to continue dumping most of his lore into interviews because the rest of the WoW team is too embarrassed to put it in-game.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post

mate Gelbin Mekkatorque and Aysa Cloudsinger were made for each other. it's so obvious to anyone who really knows their lore!

LOL that's a good one. Seriously, the dude had "I write the wow stories you love, others wrote the other ones" as his Twitter bio for a long time.

He erased it now so maybe he's been humbled. Who am I kidding? He's going to continue dumping most of his lore into interviews because the rest of the WoW team is too embarrassed to put it in-game.
    ofc. its all he ever did and all hell ever do.
    to quote the joker: "it would be funny, if it weren't so pathetic"
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

5+ Year Old Account

He erased it now so maybe he's been humbled.
    Maybe even Danuser himself realised how cringeworthy that slogan was. One can always hope
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    My suggestions:

• Sylvanas attempts to betray the Jailor, so his sway over the Golden Boi subsides for a minute. Andy reacts, suffers no drawbacks whatsoever and is soon afterwards talking the Blue Man about being a nice guy. Sylvanas becomes so emotional that she throws herself to Andy's feet and begs for redemption, which, needless to say, is promptly granted. Not only that, he gets married with Sylv and they reign as King and Queen of Lordaeron.
    • Calia becomes a mix of Pope of the Holy Light and ambassador, so she undertakes a global PR campaign in order to convince everyone in Azeroth that the Forsaken aren't treacherous, cold hearted bastards anymore, but rather sensitive, good willed people. She gets full support from Andy and Sylv in this endeavour.
    • Turalyon gets initially upset at this, and kills a bunch of Calia's envoys, and attempts to kill Calia herself. However, he is slapped in the wrist by the God King, and promises to behave. Any Horde character who gets angry at this assassination attempt (should there remain any at this point) is promptly ridiculed and turned into an omnicidal monster. Bob looks like the best candidate. Needless to say, the assassination attempt in question is never brought forward ever again, because belfs are EEVVvUvuvL.
    • It is revealed near the end that Bob was in league with a Titan+++, one of the Very First Ones, who, as the name indicates, came before the First Ones, and were the ones who created the cosmic forces that we currently have today. For reasons unknown, one of them needs a huge supply of souls blood, so it's only logical that Bob, i.e. a blood elf, provides it to him. We also learn that Kael didn't name the surviving Thalassians as "blood elves" out of a whim, but rather because he had been working with the Very First Ones already at that time.

Motherfucker named BOB LMAOOOO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    Am I the only one that misses when the Titans and Sargeras were the top dogs of WoW, with the Old Gods being the underdog top dogs of WoW?

What if time is different when you are in the realm of death. And when we are done looking for flutes in torghast and come back with azeroths "greatest" champions. only to see the world destroyed by the now headless scourge. Or why not just throw in the legion there again

Quote Originally Posted by Wigermo View Post
    What if time is different when you are in the realm of death. And when we are done looking for flutes in torghast and come back with azeroths "greatest" champions. only to see the world destroyed by the now headless scourge. Or why not just throw in the legion there again
    Blizzard's already debunked this idea.