Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Or maybe you are simply not overly sensitive to it or reason around it with "snapshotting" etc, blah. Fact is: the damage should not happen when the telegraph goes away, the damage should happen, when the actual bomb visual hits. Because that's when .. you know... the bomb actually explodes. Being able to run in there because the telegraph is gone and you know that the bomb already exploded server side ... yeah I agree with @Neiro. It's weird.

Kinda American-die-hard-action-hero™ cool that Kitty just stands there not caring when the world goes up in flames but also ... weird.

VPN just for one game? I would consider it if it was a crippling issue but after so many years, outside of the occasional hissy fit I am used to pre-planning and moving accordingly. On top of that: I do not believe that a VPN would fix the underlying issue.

Now the actual lags that happen since the Shadowbringers pre-patch, even though it has gotten a lot better in the last few months, THOSE were a killer (I had up to 10s of frozen chars/bosses etc) and super annoying. One of the reasons why I stopped raiding savage because I felt like a klutz.
    It doesn't matter how it "feels", that was never part of my point.
    My point is that the server snapshots your position at the end of a cast and that's where your position matters and it has nothing to do with lag when most players complain about that.

And why not a VPN for one game.
    You can use it for other games too, it costs like 50cents a *year* and it's not like you have to install it and wait 20 hours every time you log in before it starts working or whatever. The fake-queue you have to suffer through each time you log in FFXIV takes longer than starting your VPN.
    You basically log into a program and it's ready to go. You probably don't realize how it would help you in other games because of that mindset.

Considering you don't play savage because of that, I'd say the 0,50€ is a sound investment every year. Compared to the 13€ you pay each month while losing out on a significant portion of the content

just my take on this.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-01 at 04:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    You basically log into a program and it's ready to go. You probably don't realize how it would help you in other games because of that mindset.

Considering you don't play savage because of that, I'd say the 0,50€ is a sound investment every year.
    I never had problems like that or anything close to that in WoW and a host of other MMOs/online games, so no: other games are not suffering.
    It's entirely an FF-XIV issue.

If I wanted to raid savage, I'd agree with you but after 10years of raiding in multiple MMOs I'm simply too burned out of the playstyle to ever again care about it. It's okay, I had a great run and lots of fond memories.

I'm a retiree now, watching them youngsters head out into danger while knitting in my rocking chair.

BTW: you can also see the issue when you move -> stop -> immediately start casting. 75% chance your cast gets interrupted because the server thinks you are still moving. Or the other way around, start moving at 75% of your cast and it will get through no problemo.
    Good luck trying that in WoW. In fact that habit bit me in the arse quite a bit when I started WoW back up.

I tried FF14 a few times over the years.

First time was the launch of ARR. Played it a few months. It was pretty fun but a few glaring problems were A) Massive bot infestation and B) The raids were wayyy too easy.

Tried it again when heavensward came out. Didn't play more than a week or two. The combat somehow felt even slower and I just couldn't get into the game at all.

Tried it again when stormblood came out. I was super hyped for Samurai. Leveled up a new character all the way from 1 to play with my brother on a new server. Leveling up to 50 (I think that was the cap?) wasn't too bad. but being forced to grind out all of the boring ass MSQ content was a complete drag. I finally did unlock samurai but I was soooo bored needing to level back up I quit before I even got to see actual new content from Stormblood.

Imagine if leveling up a new character in WoW forced you to play through every zone of each expansion. Such a ridiculously bad system. Even if they change it at some point ill never play this game again.

BTW: you can also see the issue when you move -> stop -> immediately start casting. 75% chance your cast gets interrupted because the server thinks you are still moving. Or the other way around, start moving at 75% of your cast and it will get through no problemo.
    I don't have this issue. (the "double interrupt" that is)
    I think this is your ping.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-01 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have this issue. (the "double interrupt" that is)
    I think this is your ping.
    Doubtful. After all, if it were my Internet connection, I would have the same issues in other online games.
    It's basically the same effect as if you cast a DoT and immediately cast bane (I think was the name) after it as a SMN, if you are too quick, the server does not realize that the DoT is applied and calculated the damage incorrectly/didn't spread the DoT.

I measured my ping back in the days of eld (before the datacenter move) and got some 50ms. So, the actual ping was not that much different from what I got in WoW.

Fact is: the damage should not happen when the telegraph goes away, the damage should happen, when the actual bomb visual hits. Because that's when .. you know... the bomb actually explodes. Being able to run in there because the telegraph is gone and you know that the bomb already exploded server side ... yeah I agree with Neiro. It's weird.
    This so much. I know it's working as intended but it's absolutely counter-intuitive and feels *really* off, I haven't seen it done this way in any other game and don't quite understand why would you even make it so in the first place. Very bad design imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twen View Post
    This so much. I know it's working as intended but it's absolutely counter-intuitive and feels *really* off, I haven't seen it done this way in any other game and don't quite understand why would you even make it so in the first place. Very bad design imo.
    As Crazy said: some damage animations are super long in this game, so it is kinda random when the damage tick comes in anyway.
    Probably a design conflict, given the fact that Final Fantasy stems from turn based RPGs. They wanted to keep the flashy, sometimes iconic animations but still had to give players freedom of movement.

Doubtful. After all, if it were my Internet connection, I would have the same issues in other online games.
    It's basically the same effect as if you cast a DoT and immediately cast bane (I think was the name) after it as a SMN, if you are too quick, the server does not realize that the DoT is applied and calculated the damage incorrectly/didn't spread the DoT.

I measured my ping back in the days of eld (before the datacenter move) and got some 50ms. So, the actual ping was not that much different from what I got in WoW.
    Hmm, I'm actually pretty sure it's your ping, because that's an issue I had in ARR before they moved the datacenter (from NA to Europe? Can't quite remember what exactly they did... or did I move to Shiva because it's the EU datacenter?) where I had a much worse ping.
    I can cancel and start again immediatly whenever I want now. Just like in WoW.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-02 at 08:21 AM.

Hmm, I'm actually pretty sure it's your ping, because that's an issue I had in ARR before they moved the datacenter (from NA to Europe? Can't quite remember what exactly they did... or did I move to Shiva because it's the EU datacenter?) where I had a much worse ping.
    I can cancel and start again immediatly whenever I want now. Just like in WoW.
    Isn't server tick 300ms, which has nothing to do with connection? I've never had trouble moving when castbar is at 0.3s and still finishing the cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Isn't server tick 300ms, which has nothing to do with connection? I've never had trouble moving when castbar is at 0.3s and still finishing the cast.
    No, the other thing he said - interrupting your cast with movement, and wanting to cast again will interrupt your cast a second time because the server supposedly thinks you are moving.
    Slide casting still works for me too, but I have no issues with unwanted interrupts, but I do remember having them in ARR.
    It probably has something to do with what Katchii wrote.

Does it even make sense to work like that? I really don't know.
    Since server tick intervals are strict, but your inputs are not, you'd get cast-interrupts every now and then if you slide cast at 0,3s.

for example, the server movement checks are at:

0,3-0,6-0,9-1,2-1,5-1,8-2,1

You start your 1,5s cast at 0,5

You'd start slidecasting at 1,7 - your cast would end at 2.0
    Server sees at 1,8s that you are moving and will interrupt your cast... but we kinda know that it doesn't. No one would slide cast if it's so "random".
    We also know that the server doesn't align your cast-times to the server ticks, because that would end up in super awkward cast times ,delays, and inconsistent casting times.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-02 at 09:44 AM.

No, the other thing he said - interrupting your cast with movement, and wanting to cast again will interrupt your cast a second time because the server supposedly thinks you are moving.
    Slide casting still works for me too, but I have no issues with unwanted interrupts, but I do remember having them in ARR.
    It probably has something to do with what Katchii wrote.

Does it even make sense to work like that? I really don't know.
    Since server tick intervals are strict, but your inputs are not, you'd get cast-interrupts every now and then if you slide cast at 0,3s.

for example, the server movement checks are at:

0,3-0,6-0,9-1,2-1,5-1,8-2,1

You start your 1,5s cast at 0,5

You'd start slidecasting at 1,7 - your cast would end at 2.0
    Server sees at 1,8s that you are moving and will interrupt your cast... but we kinda know that it doesn't. No one would slide cast if it's so "random".
    We also know that the server doesn't align your cast-times to the server ticks, because that would end up in super awkward cast times ,delays, and inconsistent casting times.
    I think I've had this happen to me once or twice in Shadowbringers, but that's probably either server overload or lag as you said. The game was actually lagging terribly for me throughout 2020 and was almost unplayable in August when 5.3 landed with constant disconnects or lag spikes up to 10 seconds.

Your server tick explanation makes sense, but I think there's a factor you forgot: client-server synchronization and how network code deals with unavoidable lag. There's probably some leeway specifically for these cases and it's the reason for slidecasting.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account

Because comparing FFXIV animations sync and combat fluidity to WoW is like comparing a pile of turd to diamonds, really. WoW is the golden standard for fluid spot on combat in mmo being done right, while FFXIV is almost the reverse.

I mean skateboarding casting alone is pathetic in 2021.

No VPN will change that.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-04-02 at 10:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I'm actually pretty sure it's your ping

direct link: numbers ended up super small: https://i.imgur.com/Ik11QGG.png
    Can we put this argument to rest now? Thank you. It is not my ping, else I would have a host of other issues not only in FF-XIV but in other games too. I have played WoW with a high ping during some derpy times (WOTLK me thinks had some server issues), so I know what it feels like.

Keep in mind, this only occurs if you cast directly after letting go of the movement key. The cast starts up, runs for ~200ms, then interrupts. If that isn't the server I don't know what it is supposed to be.

I have a similar issue when I use several instant skills too close together, like I am used to in WoW. Sometimes the server doesn't get the second one and resets it's CD (despite it triggering visibly on my hotbar Oo) but I think this has more to do with inherent animation delay, since no skill is truly instant in FF-XIV. That one is rather rare though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Because comparing FFXIV animations sync and combat fluidity to WoW is like comparing a pile of turd to diamonds, really. WoW is the golden standard for fluid spot on combat in mmo being done right, while FFXIV is almost the reverse.
    Absolutely, though to be honest, when they removed the 400ms movement delay and mobs became "hyper reactive" I didn't like it as a tank. Move 3 pixels and the mob starts weird acrobatics. No clue if they fixed that.

Still, yes, the responsiveness was always WoW's biggest strength and surely a key ingredient in it's rousing success.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2021-04-02 at 11:14 AM.

direct link: numbers ended up super small: https://i.imgur.com/Ik11QGG.png
    Can we put this argument to rest now? Thank you. It is not my ping, else I would have a host of other issues not only in FF-XIV but in other games too. I have played WoW with a high ping during some derpy times (WOTLK me thinks had some server issues), so I know what it feels like.

Keep in mind, this only occurs if you cast directly after letting go of the movement key. The cast starts up, runs for ~200ms, then interrupts. If that isn't the server I don't know what it is supposed to be.
    No we can't put it to rest because I don't have that issue and that means it's not the server net code or whatever.
    It's really as simple as that. And it has nothing to do with not having issues in other games either.
    So unless you just want to accept it I fear that we won't come to an agreement over that, because I certainly won't admit an issue that I don't have, why would I? I can only recognize that you have an issue that I do not, so it can't be anything code related (at least not on that level).
    You can blame the performance you have in this game itself and blame Square for not putting pressure on ISPs to fix it or whatever, sure - but there are ways to fix it yourself that you chose to ignore.

I can cast, mini step, cast, mini step, cast, mini step all day every day. (it's actually more difficult to not start slidecasting)
    I can do it after any movement phase whatsoever (doesn't matter how short/long it is). I even made a video just in case but I don't quite feel like going through the trouble to uploading it when you could just take my word.
    Since your task-manager is in german, I already know it's due to routing issues and a VPN would very likely fix it.
    It's not even a secret that there are significant issues related to that and packet loss in general.

for example: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...problems/page2
    You even posted yourself there, so why do you pretend you don't know about it? I don't get it.

It's the same issue WoW had in TBC with Level3. In FFXIV it's Tilea.
    It would show a green ping/connection (sub 100ms) but you'd still have lagspikes that would last anywhere from 0,5s to 1minute (and it wouldn't even log you out after 1 minute, you'd actually catch up)

Some static members log into their VPN on a daily basis whenever we raid and it immediatly fixes any problem whatsoever.
    They can usually tell if something is wrong after the first 3-5 casts though.
    Maybe you just don't know how the game actually feels without these problems anymore because you never used VPN, especially since the problem was never actually solved since 2019.
    Even when I at first think it's running fine and I start up the VPN anyway, I usually see and feel a difference afterwards.

If you kinda want to play more properly, you should at least try using it.
    If it doesn't help, so be it.

I loaded up 3€ (I think that was the lowest amount you could pay).

You do probably play more FFXIV than me, but it won't make much of a difference.
    Just for you to see how little it actually costs and if you might have more fun playing it for like 20cents a year, why not try it out.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-02 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    Combat is slow in every ARPG, or MMORPG, in the early levels. I don't know how one can 'judge' how something feels before you have the completed picture and entire toolkit available to you. If I judged a game like Path of Exile based on the first 30 minutes, I don't think anyone would ever play it.

You aren't wrong in the sense that games need to "grab" you in the first X minutes. It's very important for player retention. I can't remember the -exact- stat, but for a game like Path of Exile, it was something like 50-60% of players do not even reach the end-game. It's a damn shame.

FFXIV is no different. I reckon it'd be even higher, with 60-70% of players deciding to not reach the max level and max content. It, however, remains my opinion that it is a shame because the flow is much better, and more fluid, at that stage of the game.
    2 major points to this though. In a lot of other MMO's you get your ability accrual much more rapidly than FF14, even more so when you consider hours played. In WoW at level 10 you pick your spec (level 10 is what 30 mins of WoW gameplay last I checked?) and get significantly more active and interesting combat than FF14 level 10, let alone level 50 (which is how many hours again? I know in 2.0 it was nearly 100 hours of play for me, not sure since revamp).

I was one of those POE guys. I just can't get into the game despite it being such a great game. I don't care for how awful my character looks, and the game is frankly a bit overwhelming. D3 gets a lot of shit, but it's pretty easy to make my character look good and very easy to create dynamic builds while leveling based on what drops, and then pivot to a target build until I hit a GR wall. Granted I usually only get a weeks worth of gameplay out of a season, but it's usually a great time.

Another complaint I do actually have about the raid bosses are the utter lack of adds. It seems that they are completely shy with even attempting to put adds into Savage content because of how Alexander went. Sure, adds show up in Ultimates, and Shiva did have a 40 second phase with adds for a 15 minute fight, but every now and then it would be nice to have a fight where you are dealing with constant waves of adds to handle. I do hope they reconsider their assumed 'self-ban' on adds in Savage content. Secondary to that point, it would be nice for Bards to have a signature fight like that. Bards are so strong in sustained 2 target situations.
    Honestly it's not even the adds, it's just how strict and scripted everything feels. Compare a fight like Huntsman. It's not a complex fight by any means, but it's very dynamic (movement and positioning based) and FF14 just doesn't hold a candle. That's why they so heavily rely on mechanics vomit and markers. I HATE add intermissions. Give me dynamic spawns with not insta wipe consequences please...

I hear that complain often but I think this is due to people just not understanding how the AoE zones work in this game. They aren't tied to the visual warning.
    They are tied to cast-bars 99,5% of the time with very few exceptions.
    I'm not saying this to put blame on you or anything, I'm saying it because people actually don't know this most of the time (or they know but still pretend it's not their own fault)
    This is LITERALLY the definition of clunky... If your entire argument is I hear this often, but it's just people not understanding how this game does it differently than every other game in the genre and has an arbitrary ruleset for it that is not visually tied together.

I mean, that's the easiest and best example of clunky design I've personally ever seen. It sure as hell isn't intuitive LOL.

Again, if you have these issues, consider a VPN.
    I don't have these issues and immediatly "feel" when they'd show up.
    When I do feel it, I use a VPN and it's gone.
    It's more related to routing than it is to actual server perfomance or the frequncy it updates positions.

Can't be a coincidence that even though I raid once-twice a week I never actually have this issue and know when and IF I'm about to get hit and when not, but as I mentioned, I have no idea how the connection is when you live in Australia or something.
    In my opinion it's the most abused excuse ever.
    I've been gaming for over 20 years. I've never ONCE needed a VPN until FF14. I've played countless games with servers on the west coast, EVEN ONES with servers in San Jose and never had ping or latency issues. The problem isn't latency itself, it's latency combined with their shit ass netcode. Their shit ass netcode is tolerable with a VPN, but their server location also fucks probably a huge portion of their playerbase (their old location also sucked ass, but personally was fine for me ). Their peering agreements (routing) are egregious for the industry, something like 9-10% packet loss is acceptable per their NOC when I called them to troubleshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    This is LITERALLY the definition of clunky... If your entire argument is I hear this often, but it's just people not understanding how this game does it differently than every other game in the genre and has an arbitrary ruleset for it that is not visually tied together.

I mean, that's the easiest and best example of clunky design I've personally ever seen. It sure as hell isn't intuitive LOL.
    never said it is or isn't, but it's also not really something hard to "work around" or whatever once you know how it works.
    It's not even rare in the gaming world as you made it sound in the first place.
    It doesn't take long to "click" when you see that you can actually walk into visuals or when you want to increase uptime.
    It's not something that throws you off if you actually play the game for more than just 5 hours.
    You just know that's how it works and you play accordingly.
    I'm not making a point about it being good or bad design...

I've been gaming for over 20 years. I've never ONCE needed a VPN until FF14. I've played countless games with servers on the west coast, EVEN ONES with servers in San Jose and never had ping or latency issues. The problem isn't latency itself, it's latency combined with their shit ass netcode. Their shit ass netcode is tolerable with a VPN, but their server location also fucks probably a huge portion of their playerbase (their old location also sucked ass, but personally was fine for me ). Their peering agreements (routing) are egregious for the industry, something like 9-10% packet loss is acceptable per their NOC when I called them to troubleshoot.
    It's very likely that you just wrote off games due to connection issues and whatnot without trying a VPN first. It's just another form of troubleshooting, are you saying you don't do some amounts of troubleshooting in just about every other game? It happens everywhere.
    Using a VPN is no different from using a .exe launch command. Seriously.... all that drama even though you/someone could fix it immediatly with very little effort is just dumb. It's not something I want companies to expect me to deal with, but it's nonetheless just dumb if I actually want to enjoy the product but can't.
    The same problem occured during TBC. That's a problem that was only able to be fixed by using a VPN too.
    People could literally not play (me included) WoW for weeks and months. It was a shit show but I should've used a VPN and just ignore it.
    The fact that Square doesn't do anything to improve the situation is more than just sad... but it's something I just don't have to deal with anymore and if I want to play that specific game I'll try to improve everything on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    After all this time are people really still arguing that these basic network/etc issues aren't actually there?

Say they don't bother you, say you're used to them, say it's not a gamebreaker for you. Fine. But don't sit there telling people it's not real or something.
    I can defacto say that I'm not getting hit from abilities I know I dodged. *shrug*.

Considering that I'm saying "use a VPN" it's hardly as if I'm saying everything is fine the way it is.

Either way, that's the only point I'm making. The game works differently and you can't properly tell when an ability snapshots sometimes (like E11 lightning - expansion attack thingy for example) but I personally count that to the desync of visuals and actual damage calculation.
    It's just not working the way people think it works. If you don't like that, sure, it's a turn off for people. But it's different from the netcode working poorly or whatever and I'd argue that most "issues" are connected to that and the poor connection to the server which you can fix yourself if someone actually wanted to.
    Some animations are 30seconds long, but the damage gets calculated in second 4 etc. Doesn't matter what damage reduction abilities you did press after that. That's the case for most of these abilities. It's not a connection issue or whatever at that point.

If it weren't as reliable as it actually is, I'd agree with people. But the fact that I can just do the necessary move 0,1s (or whatever my fastest reaction time is) before the casts finishes tells me otherwise. And since I'm doing that shit 100/100 times to increase melee uptime and not get punished I just don't see it.
    It's the same thing with the knockback stuff which you can stop right at the moment it kicks in with a dash on your own.
    The game isn't "confused" in any way whatsoever, if the ability would otherwise knock you off the platform or into a death zone you won't start teleporting around or whatever. And it being "confused" is what you are arguing when you say you get your cast interrupted because the game thinks you are still moving or whatever.

The game has related issues, but dodging AoE circles isn't one of them.
    I feel most people abuse this as an excuse way to often, or just flat out don't know how the skills work.
    If you notice having trouble, I'd recommend trying to improve something on your end... again... like a VPN. It's probably the only way tbh.
    Because this game works "enough" (if you want to put it that way) to not being able to notice anything when shit is fine. And shit became very fine when I used a VPN, sue me :/.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-02 at 03:04 PM.

never said it is or isn't, but it's also not really something hard to "work around" or whatever once you know how it works.
    It's not even rare in the gaming world as you made it sound in the first place.
    It doesn't take long to "click" when you see that you can actually walk into visuals or when you want to increase uptime.
    It's not something that throws you off if you actually play the game for more than just 5 hours.
    You just know that's how it works and you play accordingly.
    I'm not making a point about it being good or bad design...
    Agreed, my misunderstanding. The poster you quoting was arguing separately jobs being clunky, and then general netcode issues. I combined them in error.

It's very likely that you just wrote off games due to connection issues and whatnot without trying a VPN first. It's just another form of troubleshooting, are you saying you don't do some amounts of troubleshooting in just about every other game? It happens everywhere.
    Using a VPN is no different from using a .exe launch command. Seriously.... all that drama even though you/someone could fix it immediatly with very little effort is just dumb. It's not something I want companies to expect me to deal with, but it's nonetheless just dumb if I actually want to enjoy the product but can't.
    The same problem occured during TBC. That's a problem that was only able to be fixed by using a VPN too.
    People could literally not play (me included) WoW for weeks and months. It was a shit show but I should've used a VPN and just ignore it.
    The fact that Square doesn't do anything to improve the situation is more than just sad... but it's something I just don't have to deal with anymore and if I want to play that specific game I'll try to improve everything on my end.
    I've never written a game off for connection issues lol. Like I said, in nearly 20 years of online gaming I've never once encountered consistent connection issues from ANY game except for FF14 (post server move). Their netcode is shit. It's not up for debate, but it's also only part of the problem. It's their contracts with their peering partners here in the US (can't speak for EU).

To add to this, it's not anything new. JP companies almost always cheap out on these types of expenditures because they're not issues in JP due to their geography and size. It's why their fighting games rarely come with good netcode, but most EU/US based ones do because it's an issue they need to tackle that JP doesn't.

Agree. The problem I have with FFXIV is that you only get bosses in a 4-boss raid tier. They do not deviate. This is how it is and will forever be.

For those who are following the thread and may not know, XIV raids for an expansion are broken up into three sets of four bosses, balanced towards an 8 man group. These are the real raid tiers, while the game also introduces separate 24 man raids that are more on par with LFR difficulty every other patch. So, the patch cycle is 8 man, 24 man, 8, 24, 8, 24.

It would be like an entire expansion consisting of raids of.. Tichondrius / Krosus / Elisande / Guldan ... then in two patches.. Goroth, Maiden, Avatar, and Kiljaeden, etc etc.

Another complaint I do actually have about the raid bosses are the utter lack of adds. It seems that they are completely shy with even attempting to put adds into Savage content because of how Alexander went. Sure, adds show up in Ultimates, and Shiva did have a 40 second phase with adds for a 15 minute fight, but every now and then it would be nice to have a fight where you are dealing with constant waves of adds to handle. I do hope they reconsider their assumed 'self-ban' on adds in Savage content. Secondary to that point, it would be nice for Bards to have a signature fight like that. Bards are so strong in sustained 2 target situations.

So, I do agree completely, that only getting 12 "real" bosses an expansion hurts the game in that regard. There are 'Ultimates' though that provide.. hundreds of hours of progression for most 8 man groups to complete. It's unfortunate that Covid caused one of the Ultimates to be cut from this last expansion. Hopefully they get to doing 2 next expansion.
    You are forgetting about trials, which are one boss encounters. In ShB alone there are at least 6 from memory. They have savage difficulty too.
    Also alliance encounters are quite a bit harder than LFR. They have mechanics and they one shot a lot. Especially the laters ones. The Nier raids are ruthless.

If you add all those bosses (3 per alliance raid, 3 raid wings per xpac) it's actually comparable. Of course, more wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-04-02 at 05:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    After all this time are people really still arguing that these basic network/etc issues aren't actually there?
    Say they don't bother you, say you're used to them, say it's not a gamebreaker for you. Fine. But don't sit there telling people it's not real or something.
    I will argue no further, I know more people that encounter the issue but if you wait a brief period after moving you will never encounter it.
    I mostly noticed it in raids when I already mash the button while moving because I desperately want to heal s/o.

The only thing I could imagine is that it may be that these are super short lag spikes that aren't visible in the averaged value Windows gives you. Though these are there in every online game and would manifest in other ways as well.

I absolutely agree though, that since 2019 (ShB prepatch) network performance has been terribad with up to 10 seconds of frozen images, which is a confirmed routing issue. A VPN might help there.

If you kinda want to play more properly, you should at least try using it.
    If it doesn't help, so be it.

Just for you to see how little it actually costs and if you might have more fun playing it for like 20cents a year, why not try it out.
    Mudfish, was it? Might as well give it a shot.

There you go: as expected: the issue still persists.

https://i.imgur.com/1K3DqOF.png

While Mudfish definitely improves the latency, it cannot fix the Netcode issues.
    I will keep it running until the 3 bucks are toast, maybe it will help with the bigger, more annoying lags.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2021-04-02 at 07:08 PM.

FFXIV's performance issues are weird. For long stretches of time, I'll have zero problems...and then one day, out of the blue, I'll encounter errors and be disconnected every few minutes. I know it's only ever FFXIV it happens with, too - other games are fine and I've seen enough threads on the subject over on the official forums to know it's not just a 'me' issue.