Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why don’t people play the game?

I’m trying competitive for the first time after only playing quick play since I started playing a year ago, and I’ve noticed this weird thing where people don’t even try? They go sit in a corner and emote...What the hell is this? It’s extremely frustrating, do people not want to win for some reason I’m just not getting?

I haven't seen this behavior. If that happens, just report them for inactivity and move on

Good games!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    I’m trying competitive for the first time after only playing quick play since I started playing a year ago, and I’ve noticed this weird thing where people don’t even try? They go sit in a corner and emote...What the hell is this? It’s extremely frustrating, do people not want to win for some reason I’m just not getting?
    Smurfs and trolls everywhere. If you are good enough you can rise above Bronze where this is most prevalent.

10+ Year Old Account
    It happened in 3 out of 4 of my placement games. 2 players grouped up sitting in a corner spamming voice lines lol. I play on PS4 and was doing open queue if that makes a difference

It happens unfortunately. I made a post here a few months ago where I said it's virtually unplayable as 6/11 of my first ranked games that season were lost due to leavers, and these weren't people rage quitting because we were losing it was just people leaving randomly while we were up. You might find if you keep playing though that these are clumps or blips and you just get an unlucky run, it does happen a lot more in the lower ranks but if you keep playing you can get runs where you get mostly good games with very few leavers or trolls.

It happened in 3 out of 4 of my placement games. 2 players grouped up sitting in a corner spamming voice lines lol. I play on PS4 and was doing open queue if that makes a difference
    Because placement games don’t matter for people that have played the previous season(s). Player’s SR doesn’t reset, so the 5 placement games will only move their SR by roughly 10-100 points even if they lose all 5 games. 10-100 is earned back in just a few wins, and since most people don’t even gain many points for wins in placements then a lot of people won’t even try.
    Before I quit playing, I would just choose my worst hero and do whatever just to mess around. Admittedly, it sucks for people that aren’t in their placements and have already started working on rank; but, on a personal level it makes no difference. (In my defense, most of the time I played my placements at the start of the season and very rarely ever encountered someone who had already finished theirs).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Because placement games don’t matter for people that have played the previous season(s). Player’s SR doesn’t reset, so the 5 placement games will only move their SR by roughly 10-100 points even if they lose all 5 games. 10-100 is earned back in just a few wins, and since most people don’t even gain many points for wins in placements then a lot of people won’t even try.
    Before I quit playing, I would just choose my worst hero and do whatever just to mess around. Admittedly, it sucks for people that aren’t in their placements and have already started working on rank; but, on a personal level it makes no difference. (In my defense, most of the time I played my placements at the start of the season and very rarely ever encountered someone who had already finished theirs).
    Ok...but people try harder in quick play. I’ve never seen this happen in quick play. I guess it’s just a different mindset? Still it’s kinda selfish and really screws over people like me who actually want to do good. These replies have me kind of turned off from competitive, ill give some more games a try tonight but if this lame ass shit keeps happening im not gonna even bother. It really ruins the flow of a precious gaming session after a long day at work

Because all the people who play got banned from the game for yelling at those bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I can't stand the game is why I don't play I hate arcade hero shooters

Because i can't aim enemy. and i feel terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think it's bad on console, I assure you, it doesn't get any better on PC.

you summed up the reason i don't play overwatch. the trolls, griefers, and toxic idiots just aren't dealt with. if i try to play casually, i get yelled at by tryhards in quick play who treat it like competitive. and the other way around for competitive.

It's a lot like LOL in the sense, that one bad play can ruin an entire match. and instead of trying to turn it around people just rage quit or afk. super toxic.

Because the Matchmaking is garbage and has been garbage since day 1. There's very frequently huge discrepancies in player skill on both same team and enemy teams with how bad this matchmaking is. I don't waste my time anymore in competitive because of this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

game is just badly designed
    they intentionally designed heroes to counter the meta and made it un fun instead of just designing things that are fun and letting the meta play out

- - - Updated - - -

game is just badly designed
    they intentionally designed heroes to counter the meta and made it un fun instead of just designing things that are fun and letting the meta play out

seeing how classic format in hearthstone work out makes me wonder if they can add like a classic overwatch game mode..before brig and moira and all of the buffs to tanks and healers

Because Overwatch has an identity crisis. It was born as this casual team-based shooter ""like"" Team Fortress 2, who emulated it later on, but it remains stagnant because the Pro scene requires stagnation/stability. You can't go in and really fix what makes a particular hero not work because then it upends your money model on the Esport scene.

Look at the latest ExC for example: a lot of good changes that likely won't see the light of day because the Pro's simply won't have it. It's too much to relearn, too much to adapt to. Blizzard wants the casual crowd but the tryhard money with it and it's resulting in a product that's just not fun for anyone but spectators, and even that is being generous.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    you summed up the reason i don't play overwatch. the trolls, griefers, and toxic idiots just aren't dealt with. if i try to play casually, i get yelled at by tryhards in quick play who treat it like competitive. and the other way around for competitive.
    I'd still like to win in QP, if you're deliberately not countering the team or just doing nothing at all to help then yes, I will yell at you. QP is great for practice for competitive. Stuff the people who say "it's just QP", no, losing sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    I'd still like to win in QP, if you're deliberately not countering the team or just doing nothing at all to help then yes, I will yell at you. QP is great for practice for competitive. Stuff the people who say "it's just QP", no, losing sucks.
    I like to win too. but that doesn't mean i need to counter pick the enemy team. i completely agree if a person is doing nothing that they should be reported. but that means actually doing nothing. just because a person is ineffective doesn't mean they aren't trying.

people like you care too much about winning and ruin the game for casual players. if you want people to counter pick and try as hard as they can to win, that mentality is for COMPETITIVE. quick play isn't meant to be pro play or competitive. it is meant as the mode for casual players who are either bad at the game or just want to play a character they want to that sucks (which is usually me). I like playing bastion and hanzo. I like bastion because haha, it goes brrrr. but bastion isn't good in competitive and i just suck with hanzo but still find him fun to play.

your attitude says that bastion should be deleted from the game and i should never have a chance to play hanzo. YOU are imposing an IDEAL on people. life isn't an ideal and you aren't going to win every game. get that through your thick head.

Honestly? Most players are just selfish and don't know how to play as part of a team. They've an allergy to constructive criticism, too.

I used to be pretty invested in this game but it ended up feeling like more of a chore than anything else because in so many matches you get people locking in Widowmaker and Hanzo who have terrible aim and who probably aren't going to improve anytime soon.

I dislike healing and tanking, though if that's what is needed I bite the bullet and play one. Sometimes I get to play my favourite character and sign up as a DPS which is great - but I don't go into each match with the expectation of sticking with that specific character if a different tool is needed.

I feel a little dirty suggesting it, but if you want a game that's quick to get into and people play to win then you might want to look into Fortnite. It wasn't my kind of game at first, but then I realised that whenever I wanted to scratch the itch of competitive play, it just worked much better than Overwatch in its current state.