Thread: No Man's Sky

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried out the Expedition mode last night. Was pretty cool. As soon as I entered the game, like 5 other people did too. Had like 5 ships all in one spot for us all to repair. The milestones are epic to complete because they give you awesome items, early in the game. Like purple and orange jetpack mods, movement speed, shit like that. Makes the early game less "boring".

Pretty good idea so far. Well see how fun it is 15+ hours into the expedition.

Twitch drops campaign is active. Rewards rotate every 24 hours for the next 5 days.

https://twitch.nomanssky.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Tried out the Expedition mode last night. Was pretty cool. As soon as I entered the game, like 5 other people did too. Had like 5 ships all in one spot for us all to repair. The milestones are epic to complete because they give you awesome items, early in the game. Like purple and orange jetpack mods, movement speed, shit like that. Makes the early game less "boring".

Not to mention the fact that you can claim rewards in your standard games.

All these updates and the clouds still look like potatoes. In know it's a small thing but man it really bugs me.

Is that stuff group content or can it be done solo? I never really liked group content in NMS. I prefer to do things slowly and my way so playing with someone else is either disruption to me or to the other player. The description makes me think, you just start together, but thats it. Simply that the starting together makes it more likely for you to keep running into these other people along the way as they do the same things as you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Is that stuff group content or can it be done solo? I never really liked group content in NMS. I prefer to do things slowly and my way so playing with someone else is either disruption to me or to the other player. The description makes me think, you just start together, but thats it. Simply that the starting together makes it more likely for you to keep running into these other people along the way as they do the same things as you do.
    Expeditions are "multiplayer content", in that you all start (I believe) on the same planet with the same waypoints to hit.

You don't need to team up, though. About the only thing to note is its way less likely you'll be the first to a system/planet if you start late and just follow the breadcrumbs. You can swing off the straight line, though; you'll have to come back for certain rendezvous points but this isn't a race, really. As long as our finish inside two months, you get everything.

You definitely see way more people, but that's the only change in that respect, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the hell did they turn Sentinels into T one fn thousands? Jesus, they will snipe you in a building now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Is that stuff group content or can it be done solo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Expeditions are "multiplayer content", in that you all start (I believe) on the same planet with the same waypoints to hit.
    To clarify on this, by default, Multiplayer is enabled (and so is PvP, so make sure you disable that ASAP because griefers are a thing), but the entirety of the content can be done solo, by disabling Multiplayer. In fact, unless you have specific friends you want to play with, you should disable multiplayer due to the amount of bugs and crashes (that are being addressed) related to networking. Me and a buddy started together it didn't take long before the crashes and bugs made us start over, with Multiplayer disabled. I'm just about finished with the entire campaign and haven't had a single bug or crash since disabling it.

Some tips:

- A lot of goals work with other goals. Eg, don't worry about the "Obtain an A-Class Multitool" goal, because you can kill 50? sentinels and get an S-Class Alien MT, which completes the former.
    - Look at the goals that require/award nanites/credits. They also work together.
    - As soon as you're up to about 2-3m credits, purchase a cheap (1.5-2.5m) A-Class ship (low slot count, more slots = more expensive). That will instantly award you with an S-Class Explorer and you can then scrap the ship you just bought to make back most of what you spent and maybe even get a storage augmentation or two to boot.
    - The most troublesome goals are the 15 frigate mission and discover 35 system goals. Start the former as soon as you get your freighter. To do the latter take an alternate route from the main path. You should get the "Lost in Space" goal while you're doing it.
    - The first system YOU discover awards a Cadmium drive. Install it, warp to a red system, then install the Emeril drive (purchase from the anomaly after your first warp) and warp to a green system. Repeat with the Indium drive/blue system. Three more done, with some credit towards a few others.
    - The Storm Crystal goal can help you complete the Extreme Hazard travel goal.
    - Others' farms can be harvested for the farming goal. You can also farm on your freighter and take it with you (mobile base). Frostwort only takes an hour to grow.
    - Don't worry about the "Abyssal Treasure" goal right away. Do the "Ancient Treasure" goal, as there's a good chance you'll get the abyssal treasure while you do it.
    - When you're at space stations, talk to all the NPCs and learn words.
    - Watch out for easy Explorer's guild missions from the mission NPC at space stations, especially those that coincide with goals (eg, kill 3 sentinels).
    Last edited by Mistame; 2021-04-04 at 03:36 PM.

Does anyone know if they've fixed pop-in yet? Last I played was in October 2020, and I had this mod that heavily reduced pop-in (this was something that always bothered me while flying over a planet at low altitudes).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Does anyone know if they've fixed pop-in yet? Last I played was in October 2020, and I had this mod that heavily reduced pop-in (this was something that always bothered me while flying over a planet at low altitudes).
    I know that they've increased the maximum draw distance for grass and foliage recently, but realistically, the game can only draw so many cells ahead of/around you. So if you're moving fast, there will always be pop-in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I know that they've increased the maximum draw distance for grass and foliage recently, but realistically, the game can only draw so many cells ahead of/around you. So if you're moving fast, there will always be pop-in.
    A lot of this depends on your system, too.

My system's kind of a potato, so I get all kinds of pop-in, even on low settings. If you had a top-shelf system, though, your draw distances and such are gonna be significantly better. If you aren't operating off that top-end hardware, "your system can't handle it" is just as likely the answer as "the game has problems with pop-in".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A lot of this depends on your system, too.

My system's kind of a potato, so I get all kinds of pop-in, even on low settings. If you had a top-shelf system, though, your draw distances and such are gonna be significantly better. If you aren't operating off that top-end hardware, "your system can't handle it" is just as likely the answer as "the game has problems with pop-in".
    Certainly. But generally, a game is soft- or, in some cases, hard-limited to the amount of cells that are drawn. For example, Skyrim was soft-limited in that by default, the ini setting uGridstoLoad was set to 5, which would cause pop-in if you were in an open area and/or moving fast. Increasing the value would reduce this due to the engine expanding the radius of cells that are drawn around the player. My point was simply that even with a high-end machine and max settings, you're probably still going to see some pop-in, especially when flying. It's one of the caveats of wide-open spaces.

The mod I used before is on Nexusmods, it's called 'No Fade' but it's currently marked as hidden because it's not compatible with the newest patch - oh well. Anyways, it reduced the pop-in (or fade in?) effect significantly for objects like bases, artifact sites etc with little performance cost.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2021-04-04 at 06:24 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The mod I used before is on Nexusmods, it's called 'No Fade' but it's currently marked as hidden because it's not compatible with the newest patch - oh well. Anyways, it reduced the pop-in (or fade in?) effect significantly for objects like bases, artifact sites etc with little performance cost.
    If you have an old copy stored somewhere, you might be able to open up the .pak file and see if it's just some tweaks that you can apply yourself. (eg, ini/xml tweaks)

If you have an old copy stored somewhere
    Unfortunately, I don't. But thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

How do I start expedition?. New game or?

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    How do I start expedition?. New game or?
    Yep. It's exactly like seasonal games in, say, Diablo. You create the specific Expedition save, and then when the season ends it gets turned into a regular one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Yep. It's exactly like seasonal games in, say, Diablo. You create the specific Expedition save, and then when the season ends it gets turned into a regular one.
    Oh thanks, didn't had time to go through details, had to take care of the bavy

There is no crosspost option, buuut - you now can fly SR-1 Normandy in NMS via official collaboration between Hello Games and BioWare.
    https://www.nomanssky.com/2021/05/be...dition-update/
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

You have until May 31st to get it. My Expedition 2 savegame has less than 5 hours of playtime on it. If you know what you're doing in the game it'll be a breeze. If you don't it'll still only be slightly longer than that, it's a fast expedition.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'll actually complete an expedition for a reward like that. I got bored of the first one lol.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."