Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Wink Even senior devs leaving blizzard

Blizzard as a company sucks now, even senior employees are leaving for a start up company, i am so glad I am not playing and supporting blizzard anymore

can you recommend me a good gaming phone for diablo immortal?

10+ Year Old Account
    In the hopes of salvaging some actual discussion out of this thread, it's interesting to see how many long runners at Blizzard ended up joining Dreamhaven and its two development studios. A lot of the people generally credited with putting Blizzard on the map, or enabling some of their more popular side projects like Classic, as well as some promising up-and-comers seem to be signing on with Dreamhaven. It's going to at least be interesting to see what comes out of their approach to game design and if they nail down an in-house visual aesthetic or if they'll change things up between franchises.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    Blizzard as a company sucks now, even senior employees are leaving for a start up company, i am so glad I am not playing and supporting blizzard anymore
    That's odd. Just over a week ago you were making threads you playing Classic and preparing for Burning Crusade Classic.

Interesting. Sounds like you are just shitposting now.

We'll wait for your next great thread.

Only hope we can get a clean run of tbc and wotlk before they start adding shit to them.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    That's odd. Just over a week ago you were making threads you playing Classic and preparing for Burning Crusade Classic.

Interesting. Sounds like you are just shitposting now.

We'll wait for your next great thread.
    You know, things change.

Swiftly!

Employees leave companies all the time. Welcome to the real world.

Sometimes i wonder what people, who make this kind of threads, do in their real lives...
    They might be employed, but definately not as anything important. Much less so within IT.

Senior devs leave companies; that's just the reality of things.
    Younger ones leave for a bigger paycheck, older ones for a start-up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dudes been working for the company 15 fucking years, time for a change of pace.

also for someone who does not play or support blizzard, you sure do post about it and keep up with its news.

also funny, didnt know playing classic wow was "not playing/supporting blizzard" cause you are 100% still playing classic wow, which i hate to break it to you, but is made by blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread:

"TBH this is pretty normal. I am also a software developer at a large company and people change positions or leave the company all the time, including people that have worked for a very long time and those that you'd least expect it (such as people in very high positions). 99% of the time the reason for them leaving are quite normal and personal, like they got a fresh and better paid job offer somewhere else, they don't want to give another raise anymore, got bored of doing the same thing for 15 years, have moved, change of lifestyle etc. etc.

Usually when someone leaves due to some "drama" or is dissatisfied with the company or something else, those are almost always people that aren't as much involved in the company and have rather normal jobs."

Keep in mind, I am not saying that Blizz is great and all and that everything is fine, I am just saying that y'all are making some random conclusions for something very normal.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2021-04-04 at 04:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not surprised.

Working for a huge Triple-A is probably very tiresome, and very... predictable. Huge crunches, crap pay, no creative freedom of any kind. You do what the shareholders decide to do. There is no passion, other than to make money. And Dreamhaven is just the kind of fresh start many are probably looking for. More freedom to be creative, more risks, and no monotone bullshit from the shareholders. And even with familiar faces you've been with for the longest time.

Imagine if you were working for Activision, making the same stupid spunkgargleweewee they always make. No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

It makes perfect sense when you think about it. It was a small group of passionate creators to make blizzard into what it was. Then the executives and shareholders took control of the company. Creativity get stifled to collect more of the almighty dollar. So what do those passionate people do? They leave and making their own company to free themselves. Im sure many of them enjoy working with one another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Sometimes i wonder what people, who make this kind of threads, do in their real lives...

He doesn't do anything. I think that's the issue. All of this time wasting away, so might as well make troll threads over and over and over on MMO-C

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I'm not surprised.

Working for a huge Triple-A is probably very tiresome, and very... predictable. Huge crunches, crap pay, no creative freedom of any kind. You do what the shareholders decide to do. There is no passion, other than to make money. And Dreamhaven is just the kind of fresh start many are probably looking for. More freedom to be creative, more risks, and no monotone bullshit from the shareholders. And even with familiar faces you've been with for the longest time.

Imagine if you were working for Activision, making the same stupid spunkgargleweewee they always make. No thanks.
    But if you remove those who made the same stupid spunkgargleweewee they always made, and got fresh blood instead, that might have a chance to change things up a little. Right?

Stagnation. That's the word that describes Blizzard, and WoW. It could do with changing out the old and getting something new. Eventually the older ones loses both interest and imagination. I see nothing wrong with getting the tired people out.

I’m looking forward to whatever Dreamhaven makes so we can datamine and meta the fuck out of it as soon as possible and then post on their forums how bored we are.

not shocking.. probably lots of friends over there, people follow friends from job to job as well. I've been with my current company for just over 5 years and that's the longest in my entire department. add in that maybe he felt he couldn't move to the next level where he is, and it's no wonder he left. Next 1-2 years decide if I stay with my company or look around to move up again.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

5+ Year Old Account
    That's kind of rude. There are always some people that leave and join. It's how life works. Probably Blizzard is doing their best they can. We are living in difficult times. It's Easter Day, let's drop some happy cakes and love for once, maybe they will grant us another mount or even something better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    In the hopes of salvaging some actual discussion out of this thread, it's interesting to see how many long runners at Blizzard ended up joining Dreamhaven and its two development studios. A lot of the people generally credited with putting Blizzard on the map, or enabling some of their more popular side projects like Classic, as well as some promising up-and-comers seem to be signing on with Dreamhaven. It's going to at least be interesting to see what comes out of their approach to game design and if they nail down an in-house visual aesthetic or if they'll change things up between franchises.
    Once you get past the "doom and gloom" towards Blizzard, it's really not that surprising. Those "old timers" started with essentially a startup company where they had the freedom to innovate, try out new ideas, and more direct control over the end product. But that's not what Blizzard is anymore. I think we are simply seeing the inevitable corporate "maturity" that any long term successful business transitions into, that is to say...Blizzard is more like the Ford/General Motors of gaming now and we are witnessing the internal acceptance of that fact after a decade of pretending it wouldn't happen. Meaning that anyone that wants to stay a classic game dev is going to want out.

Guys, your "people leave companies all the time" & "he was there x amount of years" would made sense if he left for another big company, but nope he left for a start up. Major difference

Guys, your "people leave companies all the time" & "he was there x amount of years" would made sense if he left for another big company, but nope he left for a start up. Major difference
    That's what older senior developers always leave for. That makes your entire argument null and void.