7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    By the way, here's the list of companies Trump asked his rabid fanbase to cancel culture, because they engaged in cancel culture which is bad:

Well, let's count 'em down.

1) I was kidding about the airport.

2) Are people supposed to cut up their credit cards?

3) Is Trump asking his fans to ditch Coke? Arguably the most popular drink on the planet?

4) Also, Coke and CBS...is Disney next? Does Trump's fat ass think he can go toe-to-bone-spur with the Mouse?

5) And of course, there's the lack of self-awareness (or blatant lie) of "we have more people than they do" from the man who lost the popular vote, twice, called "rigged" each time, had an investigation each time, and was the proven loser each time.

I'm sure Trump will welcome this approach when these companies, and anyone else for that matter, call a boycott on Trump's companies as well. I wonder if Mar-a-Lago hs a deal with Coke?
    They already are "waiting on the word" from Trump. Like you saud, for a group that rails against "cancel culture" they sure do like doing it, but the sheeple only act when told, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Saturday's report:

66,154 new cases, about 2k fewer than last Saturday, but holiday weekend rules are definitely applying. 10 states did not bother reporting at all and other states--like Texas--are very underreported.

Top 5:

Michigan: 9,292 new cases; 65 deaths
    New York: 7,893 new cases; 87 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Pennsylvania: 5,327 new cases; 36 deaths
    New Jersey: 4,445 new cases; 17 deaths

New England cases continue to rise slowly and Michigan is still exploding, taking the top spot for the first time (ever?) and pushing New York to second. The site I usually use to reference positivity rates is currently a bit borked, so I can't get the normal accuracy I do, but eyeballing a few other sources tells me that Michigan is definitely top of the pile and Florida is climbing fast (currently at #6). Texas seems to have given up trying to report accurately at all--again most likely so that Abbott can try to blame Biden and "OMG OPEN BORDER DEMS" for the inevitable spikes they'll experience there later.

807 deaths is slightly lower than last Saturday and brings the total to 568,513. Numbers will be off for the next few days at least, however, and I think the actual number (including the 10 states that didn't report at all) probably brings the number slightly higher. I still believe the overall trend is dropping, though.

Related news:

Canada's 3rd wave of COVID-19 is 'killing faster and younger' and fueled by new variants--Not US news, per se, but a portent of things to come if we lose the race against the new variants. Speaking of which...

First confirmed case of Indian coronavirus variant in U.S. found in California--This variant hasn't been studied enough yet to find out how much of a danger it is, but ANY variant is likely to be at the very least problematic in the fight against the virus.

Stay safe, folks.
    Are any of these variants shown to be resistant to the vaccines?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Are any of these variants shown to be resistant to the vaccines?
    Studies are ongoing for most of the ones found so far, but trials in Africa have shown lower vaccine efficacy due to the African variant. But the consensus is that the more people vaccinated regardless the better since even a lower efficacy is better than no protection at all and is likely to lessen symptoms in the case the virus is contracted. The goal now is to get ahead of the variants as the virus continues to mutate by getting as many people vaccinated as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Studies are ongoing for most of the ones found so far, but trials in Africa have shown lower vaccine efficacy due to the African variant. But the consensus is that the more people vaccinated regardless the better since even a lower efficacy is better than no protection at all and is likely to lessen symptoms in the case the virus is contracted. The goal now is to get ahead of the variants as the virus continues to mutate by getting as many people vaccinated as possible.
    Getting my second shot in 2 weeks.

Where I live, in podunk Florida, every 15 minute slot was available at the local pharmacies, because this is full on Trump country. Literally, you could make a same day appointment and choose any 15 minute window you wanted. It technically wasn't my or my wife's official turn to get the vaccine, but since no one else was getting it, we just said fuck it and got it started. Maybe a 1/4 of the people in any location, like a store, wear masks here, so we felt even more justified in getting it early.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

By the way, here's the list of companies Trump asked his rabid fanbase to cancel culture, because they engaged in cancel culture which is bad:

Well, let's count 'em down.

1) I was kidding about the airport.

2) Are people supposed to cut up their credit cards?

3) Is Trump asking his fans to ditch Coke? Arguably the most popular drink on the planet?

4) Also, Coke and CBS...is Disney next? Does Trump's fat ass think he can go toe-to-bone-spur with the Mouse?

5) And of course, there's the lack of self-awareness (or blatant lie) of "we have more people than they do" from the man who lost the popular vote, twice, called "rigged" each time, had an investigation each time, and was the proven loser each time.

I'm sure Trump will welcome this approach when these companies, and anyone else for that matter, call a boycott on Trump's companies as well. I wonder if Mar-a-Lago hs a deal with Coke?
    I wonder how many of Trump's supporters are going to give up drinking Coke, but still end up drinking other Coca-Cola products without realizing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    I wonder how many of Trump's supporters are going to give up drinking Coke, but still end up drinking other Coca-Cola products without realizing it.
    Will the Trump boys stop snorting coke is the real question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean...they own Miniute Maid. And, well, Florida.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They aren't even going to be able to give up Coke or Diet Coke. Look at their deposed Dipshit-in-Chief - fucker had a Diet Coke button on the Resolute Desk. Class with a capital "K" doesn't dissolve itself with simple and irrational misplaced cancel culture.

Getting my second shot in 2 weeks.

Where I live, in podunk Florida, every 15 minute slot was available at the local pharmacies, because this is full on Trump country. Literally, you could make a same day appointment and choose any 15 minute window you wanted. It technically wasn't my or my wife's official turn to get the vaccine, but since no one else was getting it, we just said fuck it and got it started. Maybe a 1/4 of the people in any location, like a store, wear masks here, so we felt even more justified in getting it early.
    Ya, I live around Boise, Idaho and a lot of the people I work with at Home Depot are saying they will never get the vaccine, same people who rattle on about shit they saw on Fox News or something they read on Facebook in the break room, and I see at best 50% of the customers have masks on with maybe 50-60% of them wearing them properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    DeSantis went on 60 Minutes for some reason announcing a partnership in which Florida would work with Publix markets to distribute the vaccine.

"So Poblux must cover the entire state pretty well, then?"

Um...

"That's kind of a lot of blank spots, especially in the panhandle. And in the center.

Yeah, 60 Minutes also intereviewed a Florida state rep pointing out that where there were the fewest Publix was also where there were the fewest cars. Meaning people would be looking at mass trainsit for two hours.

"Surely DeSantis talked to city and county leaders before making this decision."

Uh...(flips through notes)...DeSantis claims he did, local officials claim he didn't.

"Why did he decide Publix?"

Well, 60 Minutes seemed to insinuate it's because Publix donated to DeSantis' campaign.

"Well surely that was in the midst of the 2020 campaign."

I mean, that makes sense. Except for the part where DeSantis didn't run in 2020. He was elected in 2018 and runs again in 2022.

"But--"

Also the donation was a few weeks ago. Not 2020.

"What did DeSantis say, when 60 Minutes presented these facts?"

He said "Fake News".

"He does know that pretty much confirms that's the truth, right?"

10+ Year Old Account
    DeSantis went on 60 Minutes for some reason announcing a partnership in which Florida would work with Publix markets to distribute the vaccine.

"So Poblux must cover the entire state pretty well, then?"

Um...

"That's kind of a lot of blank spots, especially in the panhandle. And in the center.
    I mean, devil's advocate...

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    devil's advocate
    So are you saying there's about a dozen counties with no Publix and by proxy no vaccine distribution centers?

10+ Year Old Account
    So are you saying there's about a dozen counties with no Publix and by proxy no vaccine distribution centers?
    Hey, I said "devil's advocate". I'm not defending the move. I don't know why why anyone should have exclusive distribution rights for an entire state.

But I think it's important to point out that some 99% of the state's population lives in those areas. I'm not trying to suggest that the goal shouldn't be 100%, however, just that your characterization was just a little bit misleading.

The worse thing is that it's apparently a pay-for-play, and that there's not at least a second option for those small towns and unincorporated areas.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The worse thing is that it's apparently a pay-for-play
    It absolutely is. He was called on it, and he just handwaved it. DeSantis should be terrified about his odds in 2022 considering Trump didn't win FL by all that much, DeSantis is not Trump, and DeSantis basically watched his voters die of COVID while eating popcorn. He probably figures he needs all the money he can get to somehow convince the voters he hasn't killed yet that it's somehow someone else's fault.

Sunday's quick report:

36,983 new cases, 270 deaths, bringing the total to 568,777. As mentioned previously they are skewed very low due to the holiday weekend, so keep your optimism in check.

Stay safe, folks.

40+ year Floridian here...

1. Vaccines are available at Walgreens and CVS (among many other places) as well, so I'm confused by the exclusive label.

2. Publix is a store with a rabid and loyal following. If you don't shop there, then you're either in the low income bracket or not close to one. Seriously, it has like the second highest customer satisfaction of any grocery chain nationwide last i checked. The point being, the vaccine is free and you either shop there or you can't, so I'm not sure what advantage having people come there for vaccines is....to the point they'd pay for the "exclusivity" of it.

3. Everywhere the population is low in Florida is squarely and securely Trump country. Not too mention there's quite a few high population areas that are as well. So there's not going to be a lot of people in those low pop areas getting the vaccine anyway, because they're idiots. As i talked about before, in my area, EVERY single 15 minute window for shots was open at every location. You could make an appointment same day and be done in about 20 minutes.

4. Don't be so sure my dumb ass state won't vote Desantis again.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2021-04-05 at 02:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incidentally, the latest talking point by the GOP seems to be "Oh! Oh! Those librul elites can't stop talking about Trump! Oh heavens to betsies, or deary me, my pearls!"

Which would make sense, if Trump didn't keep making the news about all the stuff he did and/or is doing.

Evers Seeks $250K From Trump, GOP Official For Election Lawsuit Legal Fees

This was from four days ago.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Evers made the request in two different federal courts on Wednesday.

If Evers is successful, Trump would have to pay more than $145,000 in one case. In the other, the chairman of the Republican Party of La Crosse County would have to pay about $107,000.

An Evers attorney called the lawsuits frivolous and argued taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for defending against them.
    Huh. Look at that. Trump is still refusing to pay the people he owes money.

Trump issues Easter greetings by attacking political rivals, griping about election loss

This was yesterday.

"Happy Easter to ALL, including the Radical Left CRAZIES who rigged our Presidential Election, and want to destroy our Country!" Trump said in a written statement early Sunday.
    Sounds familiar...

I would like to extend my best wishes to all, even the haters and losers, on this special date, September 11th
    Oh, right.

Supreme Court dismisses lawsuit over Trump's Twitter account

This was an hour ago.

The case arose after seven people responded critically to tweets on the president's now-banned @realDonaldTrump account and he retaliated by blocking them. They sued and won in the lower courts, which held that blocking individual respondents based on their viewpoints violated the First Amendment.

The Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit said the president's account amounted to a kind of public forum and often concerned official matters with contributions from White House staff members.

The Trump Justice Department urged the Supreme Court to reverse those rulings. While the president's tweets were sometimes official statements, his decision to block individual responses was a personal one allowed by any Twitter user, government lawyers contended.
    Yep, Trump was caught red-handed trying to censor free speech. This one's been going for a while, actually. The only reason I joined Twitter was to follow Chrissy Tiegen, and the only reason I did that was Trump blocked her for "lol noone likes you".

And this is just from this weekend. And and, this is just the stuff that we missed.

If a conservative is upset that Trump is still in the news, then the person to blame for that, is Trump. Trump being held accountable for those things he did is Trump's fault. Trump putting out intentionally inflammatory statements is Trump's fault. Trump's attacks on the Constitution and failures in court are Trump's fault. You don't get to say "LEAVE BRITTNEY ALONE!" when Trump is making the news, every day, on purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

4. Don't be so sure my dumb ass state won't vote Desantis again.
    I'm not. But that would require DeSantis actually campaign -- and he needs funds for that.

You might have included why it was dismissed. It's regarded as "moot" since Trump is no longer president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    You might have included why it was dismissed. It's regarded as "moot" since Trump is no longer president.
    Well that's why SCOTUS dismissed it, but that leaves the lower court ruling(s) in place. Biden's DoJ helped by basically dropping the case.