Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    SWTOR didnt build an engine from scratch and they had a full studio to begin with, as technology improves games take longer to develop. While i had fun playing SWTOR for a few years the engine was not great.

SC has an alpha with a ton of gameplay so its not only assets so at least do some research before talking nonsense, SC is a very ambitious game larger than anything ever made so it will be ready when its ready, everyone knew chris is a perfectionist and that would add more development time, i would rather the devs take as long as is needed to make the game correctly.
    I hope you will be alive when the game release. it will be disappointment other way

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    Hero engine was still alpha and bioware made many modifications to it so it didn't require less work. Hero engine was also wayyy smaller company than Crytek.

Cryengine was not made for large multiplayers which was never needed for SQ42. Where is SQ42? Soon 2016?

Of course it would even take 100 years to make a game when you have such a bad management, no punishment for lying about release dates and no reason or law that pushes you to release the game.
    SWTOR had a full studio to begin with, and it is less work to complete an engine that is actually the target type of game instead of making an engine work for a game it was not origionally intended for, there has been no official release dates any dates even mentioned in a game in heavy development can be changed, both the games are connected so everything must work the same for the MMO part as the single player, when planet tech came in then SQ42 would have to be changed also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    And whose fault it is if they used a wrong Engine to start with ?

I mean, if you built a car but expects the engine to work with coca cola and spend millenia to make that work, you're the only one to blame here
    Any engine will require a ton of work and can be modified to suit the games requirements, hero engine never quite worked great for SWTOR it just worked to a reasonable level eventually.

Picking any engine has its own risks and challenges and making an engine from scratch also has risks.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-04-04 at 02:29 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Any engine will require a ton of work and can be modified to suit the games requirements, hero engine never quite worked great for SWTOR it just worked to a reasonable level eventually.

Picking any engine has its own risks and challenges and making an engine from scratch also has risks.
    Yeah but here, people have paid expecting a product. How they achieve this is, like, their job. Here, they've done a tremendously bad job with the engine to the point it might never achieve what they wanted to, and you're saying that no problem, people should just continue to throw money, maybe someday it will work.

If they prove unable to do their own job, why should people continue to give them money ? They'll waste the new income as they wasted the previous one, if they've proven unable to do what they're being paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Yeah but here, people have paid expecting a product. How they achieve this is, like, their job. Here, they've done a tremendously bad job with the engine to the point it might never achieve what they wanted to, and you're saying that no problem, people should just continue to throw money, maybe someday it will work.

If they prove unable to do their own job, why should people continue to give them money ? They'll waste the new income as they wasted the previous one, if they've proven unable to do what they're being paid for.
    SC is being developed by a very small team considering the size and they are constanly hiring, there is only so much work that can be done while other companies have 2-3 times the amount of staff from the very start of a project. Space games are the hardest to develop especially when you want to add in as much depth as possible.

There has been no official release date for the full verion of any of the games, anyone who backed the project knew what they were signing up for as we all know chris likes to do things his way, they have already proven to be providing a game of quality already with the current version and they are not going to run out of funds anytime soon.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

SC is being developed by a very small team considering the size and they are constanly hiring, there is only so much work that can be done while other companies have 2-3 times the amount of staff from the very start of a project.
    They've had a decade to remedy their apparent staffing issues. This is weak, Kenn, even for you.

There has been no official release date for the full verion of any of the games
    There were multiple release dates that were missed. This is fact. You're going to tell me that it's an ambitious project and those were just estimates and all developers miss deadlines and blah blah. This is irrelevant. I don't care why you think they weren't met. There have been multiple release periods advertised, and they (clearly) were not met.
    Last edited by Henako; 2021-04-04 at 04:46 PM.

SC is being developed by a very small team considering the size and they are constanly hiring, there is only so much work that can be done while other companies have 2-3 times the amount of staff from the very start of a project. Space games are the hardest to develop especially when you want to add in as much depth as possible.
    Maybe they shouldn't have gone overboard with feature creep then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    WoW's also been, you know, fully playable for those 15+ years and its cash shop is far, far less egregious than Star Citizen's thousand dollars .jpg of a ship you might be able to fly sometime late this decade without the server committing suicide. This is an especially bizarre hill to die on.
    It really is quite the bizarre hill to die on. Trying to compare SC to WoW is just insanity. How dare people pay for an actually playable game. That sure beats tossing a bunch of money into a crowdfunding pit and getting whatever the fuck SC is supposed to be. A mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    It really is quite the bizarre hill to die on. Trying to compare SC to WoW is just insanity. How dare people pay for an actually playable game. That sure beats tossing a bunch of money into a crowdfunding pit and getting whatever the fuck SC is supposed to be. A mess.
    So you're ok with tossing money into a playable game but with an engine from the early 2000's that has added very little depth over the years and where the profits go straight to shareholders. Congrats I guess.

It's kinda hilarious that people actually prefer games being developed in secrecy where the main motivation is short term shareholder profits.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2021-04-04 at 08:58 PM.

I kinda love this "but it might be a good game in the future" defence.

As if that somehow justifies the poor development progress.
    People don't seem to realize that the development is a mess, a disaster even. Eating burgers ingame is more important than getting baseline functionalities online.

No one blames people for paying 40€ as a backer or whatever, people blame the fucked up development. It's a mess and that's a *fact*. It doesn't matter how ambitious the game is. The game can be ambitious even when the base version is released. After a decade, this project has barely anything to show. Most things don't work properly and hardly anything is stable, next to no timeline has been met either, not even roughly or slightly delayed - that alone shows how no one responsible in that project has any clue about anything whatsoever.
    Why do people defend that? There is absolutely no reason to do that, even if you want to "progress" game development and support ambitious goals.
    That's not the point. People have to realize that they wanted to support a person developing something, who is simply not *able* to actually do that.
    You might as well pay the next person you see at this point, the chances that you get something out of it are about the same.
    It was a noble cause, it failed horribly, the people responsible don't know how to fix it, he is/they are incapable of doing so and it's starting to look like a scam at this point because he/they will surely never - ever - admit it.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-04 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    So you're ok with tossing money into a playable game but with an engine from the early 2000's that has added very little depth over the years and where the profits go straight to shareholders. Congrats I guess.

It's kinda hilarious that people actually prefer games being developed in secrecy where the main motivation is short term shareholder profits.
    You mean a game where I've put hundreds and hundreds of days of played time in over the last 15-16 years for a minimal monthly cost? (Try going out to a bar or partying pre-covid, good lord). Yeah how dare I put money into a playable game. The graphics may not be the best but I have tons of fun with my friends and guildies.

So you're okay with tossing money into a giant pit of development where the dev has a track record of feature creep, missing deadlines and continues to suck up money in a unbelieve cash shop. AKA 20k+ ships? Yeah one whale can buy something in that cash shop than is more than I've ever spent in wow in 16 years. *eyeroll* Don't act like CiG is some benevolent company, they are milking more money out of players than you would ever believe, go look at that cash shop. Take a good fucking look.

Sure man, die on that hill all you want, you are nuts.

You mean a game where I've put hundreds and hundreds of days of played time in over the last 15-16 years for a minimal monthly cost? (Try going out to a bar or partying pre-covid, good lord). Yeah how dare I put money into a playable game. The graphics may not be the best but I have tons of fun with my friends and guildies.

So you're okay with tossing money into a giant pit of development where the dev has a track record of feature creep, missing deadlines and continues to suck up money in a unbelieve cash shop. AKA 20k+ ships? Yeah one whale can buy something in that cash shop than is more than I've ever spent in wow in 16 years. *eyeroll* Don't act like CiG is some benevolent company, they are milking more money out of players than you would ever believe, go look at that cash shop. Take a good fucking look.

Sure man, die on that hill all you want, you are nuts.
    LoL yeah people shouldn't be allowed to buy cool looking ships to fly around in but you but you sir are allowed to spend money on whatever you like and no one can criticize your spending because you had fun. Well maybe some people have fun and great moments in this game. You act like it's vaporware.

I haven't spent a dime on this game but the hate it gets from people bitching about other people spending money on it is almost comical.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2021-04-04 at 09:25 PM.

LoL yeah people shouldn't be allowed to buy cool looking ships to fly around in but you but you sir are allowed to spend money on whatever you like and no one can criticize your spending.

I haven't spent a dime on this game but the hate it gets from people bitching about other people spending money on it is almost comical.
    You do realize many of those 'cool looking ships' aren't even in the game yet right? I am pointing out the problems with this cash shop. I don't care if someone drops 20k on some fucking ships, their money. But if the products in the shop can't even be delivered or used. Then that is pretty sad. But hey, go ahead let someone buy some of these ships with huge crew requirements. They'll have tons of 'fun' on a server with a cap of 50. Woo.

Go ahead, comment on my spending if you wish, I got value for my money over this many years. If I felt I wasn't getting the value I'd do something else. There is a BIG fucking difference on spending money on a monthly service game or a game that is fully launched to one in development that has an overly 'healthy' cash shop. You may be cool with it but I am not.

You do realize many of those 'cool looking ships' aren't even in the game yet right?
    More like "more than half of those ships aren't even in the game yet".

There was an infographic from a year ago, I think, that showed all of the ships that were promised, and which ones were actually flyable in the game. It was like 1/3rd of the total ships promised were actually in the game. And even then, about half of them are actually functionally. Sure, you can fly your Reclaimer around, but it's a useless piece of junk because it's a salvaging ship... but salvage gameplay hasn't even bee designed yet (as admitted by CIG devs in a video about 6 months ago).

What does the age of the engine matter at all? WoW works. Star Citizen doesn't. I don't give a toss how cutting edge its engine is if I can't play a game with it because the servers constantly shit themselves and have for years, and they need to remove features to stop that from happening.

And let me suppress a laugh if you think CIG are any different than Acti-Blizz with their thousand dollar cash shop that's in game while most of its features aren't, whale-focused business model and refusal to offer refunds because the game is very technically playable. But at least, again, WoW's actually playable now and not in some uncertain future.

People are obviously free to spend their money however they wish. And people are also free to criticize Star Citizen and its business model in the thread that exists to discuss Star Citizen- that being this very thread.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    What does the age of the engine matter at all? WoW works. Star Citizen doesn't. I don't give a toss how cutting edge its engine is if I can't play a game with it because the servers constantly shit themselves and have for years, and they need to remove features to stop that from happening.

And let me suppress a laugh if you think CIG are any different than Acti-Blizz with their thousand dollar cash shop that's in game while most of its features aren't, whale-focused business model and refusal to offer refunds because the game is very technically playable. But at least, again, WoW's actually playable now and not in some uncertain future.

People are obviously free to spend their money however they wish. And people are also free to criticize Star Citizen and its business model in the thread that exists to discuss Star Citizen- that being this very thread.
    You can bash the business model all you want but it's same arguments repeated over and over again ad nauseam.

We get it CIG is a horrible awful company and their game should be banned.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2021-04-04 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    More like "more than half of those ships aren't even in the game yet".

There was an infographic from a year ago, I think, that showed all of the ships that were promised, and which ones were actually flyable in the game. It was like 1/3rd of the total ships promised were actually in the game. And even then, about half of them are actually functionally. Sure, you can fly your Reclaimer around, but it's a useless piece of junk because it's a salvaging ship... but salvage gameplay hasn't even bee designed yet (as admitted by CIG devs in a video about 6 months ago).
    That is...man I don't even have the words to properly explain how pathetic it is that the cash shop is that bad.

- - - Updated - - -

You can bash the business model all you want but it's same arguments repeated over and over again ad nauseam.

You don't have to participate, read them or anything. You won't change people having bad or good opinions about the game. I for one will bash it all I want because it deserves the bashing.

Ahh hyperbole, the last line of defense for the indefensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Ahh hyperbole, the last line of defense for the indefensible.
    I translated it as: How dare you people post in a thread about X thing because Y reason. Like what they have to say is going to change us from wanting to discuss something that merits a discussion, or bashing.

SWTOR had a full studio to begin with, and it is less work to complete an engine that is actually the target type of game instead of making an engine work for a game it was not origionally intended for, there has been no official release dates any dates even mentioned in a game in heavy development can be changed, both the games are connected so everything must work the same for the MMO part as the single player, when planet tech came in then SQ42 would have to be changed also.
    Swtor had a full studio bla bla, its been 9 years 9 and cig has nothing at all. Delaying every patch.

So you saying Chris Roberts doesn't know what engine is best for the game?
    Are you better than Chris Roberts in gaming business?

Cryengine was perfect for SQ42.
    Crysis games are perfect.
    Noone needed multiplayer for SQ42. Usage of same jpegs is not an excuse. They never needed to update the engine to make SQ42. We have seen the parts of game which aren't so different than Crysis.
    Soon 2016 was an official date. CIG lied about that date.

Swtor had a full studio bla bla, its been 9 years 9 and cig has nothing at all. Delaying every patch.

So you saying Chris Roberts doesn't know what engine is best for the game?
    Are you better than Chris Roberts in gaming business?

Cryengine was perfect for SQ42.
    Crysis games are perfect.
    Noone needed multiplayer for SQ42. Usage of same jpegs is not an excuse. They never needed to update the engine to make SQ42.

Soon 2016 was an official date. CIG lied about that date. I won't talk about 2019 disaster now.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    This proves 5 years is enough time to build something from scratch, enough time to modify and configure something.
    Swtor was pretty stable and complete on release.
    Excuse me what? Stable and complete? Memory leak crashes, combat action delays, constant loading screen sometimes even when simply initiating dialogue to hide all that memory glitching and myriad of other well recorded bullshitteries plagued SWTOR well into the second year after launch. That game knew no stability at all for good half a year after it's initial release. Did you actually play it on launch, or on the F2P launch?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988