View Poll Results: Who is more annoying?

Voters
116. This poll is closed
  • Rey Palpatine

40 34.48%
  • Jar-Jar Binks

41 35.34%
  • Kathleen Kennedy/Both

29 25.00%
  • None of them!!

6 5.17%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    The entire thread was meant to be a shitpost, the minute the OP put Kathleen Kennedy as an option. Dogwhistle to the alt-right 'Fandom Menace'.
    So your opinions on the Star Wars movies are a political leaning now? What the hell is wrong with people like you.

I don't hate Rey. Bad writing all around destroyed the story of the character. I do think the problem lies with Kathleen Kennedy. She had control over those movies and decided to go with two different directors with two entirely different styles of directing. Should have just stayed with one and the story would have made a lot more sense.

Jar Jar is a very annoying character, and the movies would have been much better without him. Beyond taking Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to Otoh Gunga he served no real purpose to the plot in EP1, and his role in EP2 could have been given to someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rey just because she was an uninspiring character with 0 backstory and no character development whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    The entire thread was meant to be a shitpost, the minute the OP put Kathleen Kennedy as an option. Dogwhistle to the alt-right 'Fandom Menace'.
    It's crazy to me that the alt right dislikes the sequel trilogy or TLJ specifically. TLJ is basically an alt right dream, the only people that matter in the movie are white, you could completely remove the non white people and the movie would be better for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Because Stormtrooper would be too generic and Finn is black. Got a problem with that? And chinese knock off is not derogatory to a country (and certainly not a race) but to the chinese product quality of 20 years ago. Like "Made in Germany", which does not say anything about the Germans but of their exported goods.
    Ah, yes, refer to his race to distinguish him from the other defected Stormtrooper sidekick. Give me a break.

And I don't know if you know this (but of course you do, since this comment and many others here are dogwhistles): German people make the things made in Germany. Chinese people make the things made in China. Is it clear enough for you yet? Is it clear enough that you adding these modifiers embellishes on and supports the same ideologies that support prejudice and, further still, bigotry?

It's like this stuff has to be spelled out for people like you who are used to defending and normalizing the stigmatization of people who aren't like you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    I was about to handhold you through it, but since someone already kindly explains both points to you, credit where credit is due, refer to the following post:
    Yeah nah. I've debunked your dogwhistling already.

Both, for different reasons.

I take more offense with Rey's character.

Rey is the most badass Jedi - so JarJar.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar45 View Post
    So your opinions on the Star Wars movies are a political leaning now? What the hell is wrong with people like you.

I don't hate Rey. Bad writing all around destroyed the story of the character. I do think the problem lies with Kathleen Kennedy. She had control over those movies and decided to go with two different directors with two entirely different styles of directing. Should have just stayed with one and the story would have made a lot more sense.

Jar Jar is a very annoying character, and the movies would have been much better without him. Beyond taking Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to Otoh Gunga he served no real purpose to the plot in EP1, and his role in EP2 could have been given to someone else.
    1. Star Wars films have always been political. The first set of films are literally an anti-imperialistic love letter.

2. I think Rey is a shit character and the sequel trilogies are absolutely terrible films. But I'm also an adult who understands how corporations work. Kathleen Kennedy is not single handedly responsible for ruining these films. If anything else, her credentials as a successful producer far outweigh the two directors she hired. But like all professionals, she's capable of making mistakes. She made them. She's also the same person who's headed the company up whilst it's produced Rebels, the Mandalorian and is now planning some pretty exciting content for the future. Does that absolve her of her responsibility as far as the sequels being rubbish is concerned? Absolutely not. But to say that she alone was responsible for it - which is a frequent diatribe the alt-right fans go on - is highly inaccurate. Furthermore, having JJ Abrams in charge for all three would not have fixed anything. The Force Awakens was a boring movie that was a soft reboot. So yeah, your entire point is moot. My point stands. The OP is just shitposting.

3. Jar-Jar Binks was comic relief. Was he good as that? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    going to go with star wars fans. Not all of them but you know, those ones

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It's crazy to me that the alt right dislikes the sequel trilogy or TLJ specifically. TLJ is basically an alt right dream, the only people that matter in the movie are white, you could completely remove the non white people and the movie would be better for it.
    This made me giggle, because it's kinda true.

Rey was just boring to me. Not sure if it was the casting, writing, direction, or some combination of the three, but I just didn't give a toss about her at all. None of the new characters have the appeal of the originals. Kylo was the most interesting but the writers and directors did him dirty.

If JarJar was really supposed to be a secret Force user manipulating everyone then he would have been one of the greatest characters of all time but as comic relief yeah he's pretty annoying. At least he didn't steal 2 characters storylines, a last name, and bring Force God powers to the StarWars film universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Fair enough, but I don’t think his sacrifice was moot just because Palp continued on. Had Vader not have done what he did, Luke would have died. He sacrificed himself for his son, not just to end the reign of Palp.
    Starwars is a fairytale set in space. Sure it doesn't mean his sacrifice was totally meaningless since he did save his son but it does negate his destiny and ruins the entire story.

They said Palpatine transferred his soul while falling meaning there wasn't even a second of Balance in the Force and gives Rey not only Anakin's Destiny and storyline but also Luke's as she is the one surviving in the end.

Jar Jar was a little annoying but i don't mind him as a character in star wars. On the other hand i don't find Rey annoying but i hate her as a character in star wars. She makes no sense and her backstory is stupid and should be removed from canon.
    Should have added Finn in the list. That character is annoying as fck. All he did was shout Rey all the times in all 3 movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked both at the beggining, but then Jar Jar Binks allowed Palpitine to become the Emperor, and i started disliking him.

As for Rey, it was a huge surprise when i discovered who she was, but she remained the same, even knowing the truth, that is a huge achivement, and i respect that.

Um I think you mean Rey Skywalker.

Man episode 9 was trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The people I find that really really really hate the sequel trilogy on a social / political level are people that use the alt right as a platform to get views/clicks/troll points rather than actually being alt right. People that just hate them because they were.. well.. an unplanned mess that kind of wondered around not knowing what it was doing between each film are just people that dislike it for that reason. Then of course you got the people that liked it but have to clump these two together because then its easy to point at the "evil" and get the ignorant to agree and ride along.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    I only saw episode 7 of the new trilogy, and while Rey is a bad character, she absolutely pales in comparison to the stupid ass pilot guy and his newfound sidekick the black stormtrooper. Can't even remember their names, but they're the 2 dumbest and most annoying movie characters I've seen in a long time. I couldn't stand them.

The whole movie is like cheap Chinese knockoff of episode 4 anyway. Oh, the comparison....well, I got sidetracked since neither of the listed were quite bad enough to rate in my opinion.
    Poe and Finn were great until Johnson decided to cast them as...buddy cops?

Jar jar developed from episode 1 to episode 3 from pure comedic relief to a kinda civilized man with responsibility

Rey went from a girl who could pilot the falcon and reverse a mind probe to a...stubborn girl with identity theft who is somehow more powerful than everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I didn't find either annoying. I had issues with a lot of Star Wars material, but all of the problems can be traced to the people helming the franchise.

Besides, a lot of Star Wars fans don't seem capable of differentiating characters they dislike from the actors playing them. Jake Lloyd was tormented for playing a young Anakin and gave up acting. Ahmed Best was driven almost to the point of suicide by the harassment he got for voicing Jar-Jar. Kelly Marie Tran almost walked away from acting for the harassment she received.

Some fans need to grow up. It's perfectly fine to not like something. I don't care much for the newer Star Wars movies. But that should stop well short of trying to ruin the lives of the actors with bullying and death threats.
    Not to downplay people harassing her, but Tran was never suited for social media and would have been far happier had she never done it. She was essentially pressured into joining the cesspool and quickly regretted it. There are plenty of other actors who don't have Twitter/Facebook(they might have secret private ones for friends and family though). Kristen Stewart, for example, doesn't and I could easily see her having been relentlessly harassed perhaps even more than Tran was after Twilight and to a lesser degree Snow White. Also look at some streamers constantly weeping and needing white knights to defend even simple comments about playing badly at a game they're streaming. I'm fairly certain Tran at least deleted it and is probably far happier now. Once again it doesn't excuse it, but you have to have a certain degree of nonchalant attitude to decide to wade into that mess. She's a sweet person and the internet destroys those types of people.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meesah pretty sure what the answer is.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Jar Jar is the winner in my book.

But truth be told all of the sequels to the original (which I was young enough to see when released) have been a let down and pretty annoying though I hear that the Mandalorian series isn't too bad. Lucas for all his imagination and technical wizardry just didn't have the storyteller chops to drive the plot or advance the series. He was and will forever remain a poor man's Tolkien.

The most disappointing thing about Star Wars, and I have to tell you that the frenzy around the original was very real and very justified because it was truly groundbreaking, is that almost 50 years and countless movies later their still telling the same basic story over and over again.

Star Trek, for example, has had almost as many movies and many more spin-offs. They all didn't work and some strayed too far a field from Roddenberry's initial vision but the story and the characters moved forward and adapted across centuries and it was a deep and rich enough vision to support that process. Star Wars has been stuck in the same 25 year or less loop since the beginning.

They been milking the original for far too long because they don't have the courage and/or conviction to take the story in new directions. In the end it's turned to sour milk.