View Poll Results: Who is more annoying?

Voters
116. This poll is closed
  • Rey Palpatine

40 34.48%
  • Jar-Jar Binks

41 35.34%
  • Kathleen Kennedy/Both

29 25.00%
  • None of them!!

6 5.17%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post

Who's the more annoying character in the Star Wars Disney Franchise? Rey Palpatine or Jar Jar Binks
    Kennedy.

Rey stole all her cool stuff/origins etc from the other hero's. and she was in all 3 movies.
    Child of a bad guy > luke
    Sand planet for most of her live > luke
    epic pilot while never been of planet > han
    falcon > han
    light saber > luke and leia

Jar Jar was annoyining and very racist. BUT he added to the overal story. And did not steal anyones thunder. And was dropped fast after the first movie.

But Jar Jar abrams and Kennedy the Hutt ruined it. They both made horrible, Horrible choices ( with 7.8.9). Yes Ryan fortuna was also bad. But he tried to restart the franchise. But still as bad as the other 2.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean no contest. people might not like Rey as a character but Jar-Jar is on another level. such an annoying character
    Agreed. Rey was fine as a character overall, and disliked by the more hardcore Star Wars fans than the general casual audience. Jar-Jar was horrifyingly annoying, to the point where I won't watch Episode 1 ever again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Kennedy.

Rey stole all her cool stuff/origins etc from the other hero's. and she was in all 3 movies.
    Child of a bad guy > luke
    Sand planet for most of her live > luke
    epic pilot while never been of planet > han
    falcon > han
    light saber > luke and leia
    Given your categories, how could there be an original character, ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It's crazy to me that the alt right dislikes the sequel trilogy or TLJ specifically. TLJ is basically an alt right dream, the only people that matter in the movie are white, you could completely remove the non white people and the movie would be better for it.
    Maybe it's just a bad movie, no matter what political views you share.

Rey is the worst.
    Getting a role because of your gender.
    With the charisma of that chick from twilight

Easy: Jar Jar was only a silly side character. Rey is supposed to be the protagonist of a whole trilogy. Disney Star Wars is Worse than the Gungans.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post

And I don't know if you know this (but of course you do, since this comment and many others here are dogwhistles): German people make the things made in Germany. Chinese people make the things made in China. Is it clear enough for you yet? Is it clear enough that you adding these modifiers embellishes on and supports the same ideologies that support prejudice and, further still, bigotry?
    Using buzzwords is not arguing (also can you point me to your list of buzzwords to use against people you don't agree with? I'm not a native speaker, so I honestly have no idea what most of those buzzwords used in such discussions mean).
    And how does the quality of goods relate in any way to the people of a country? That's nonsense. Put chinese workers in a German factory and you get the same quality as if a german made it.
    Saying that China build up their industrial sector by copying products of western countries and cutting down prices by diminishing the quality can't possibly be bigotry. Because that is a fact. And that fact evolved into a well known saying, even if China has evolved past copying other products by now.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Maybe it's just a bad movie, no matter what political views you share.
    Don't get me wrong, I consider it the worst movie I have ever seen. I just like to point out that for all the chest thumping over diversity in star wars, it was all lip service.

Don't get me wrong, I consider it the worst movie I have ever seen. I just like to point out that for all the chest thumping over diversity in star wars, it was all lip service.
    What an exaggeration.
    Maybe worst in the star wars universe.

Tbh if I were a kid rn I'd probably love the new movies.
    I'm an action fan and I liked ep 1 to 3 because they had cool characters and fights.
    Compared to those the new heroes look just pale.
    The movies look way too clean and sterile.

Mandalorian series was cool again.
    But they fired one of the coolest members because she posted something on twitter �

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Given your categories, how could there be an original character, ever?
    in the same franchise?
    With the excat same things. Could add more. lets do to make it very clear. ( han pilot one was weak i agree)

rey :
    Child of a big bad without knowing it > luke and leia
    Fighting set parent > luke
    Sand planet living there in the first movie > luke
    Going off of that planet on the falcon for the first time > luke
    instead of using a own ship she uses > han Falcon and lukes x wing
    lightsaber > luke and leia
    doubting if she will be a good jedi > luke
    going into a cave to see bad visions > luke
    going to a old hermit jedi > luke ( in both ways)
    having a robot companion for a big part of the movies > luke

to name just a few from the top of my hat.

If you take Rey 1 movie vs Jar Jar 1 movie...then yeah Jar Jar is worse in universe.
    If you see it as 2 different franchises ( so have 7,8,9 nothing to do with star wars) then Yeah jar jar is worse.
    But as she is in 3 movies she is worse then Jar Jar. Why? because she is not origonal, weak acting, badly written and she pretty much is copy of luke.

But i do not think she is the worse. That goes to Kennedy. Its clear that she is not steering star wars franchise correctly. Rogue 1, the mandalorian , star wars rebels, clone wars new season, bad batch proof that good star wars still can be made. But if you helm 3 big movies and the han solo movie and you make them bomb...you can not handle this franchise.
    Do not take it wrong, she has worked on great films. But sometimes a actor, producer, director etc might be great at 1 thing but bad at a other.

- - - Updated - - -

It's crazy to me that the alt right dislikes the sequel trilogy or TLJ specifically. TLJ is basically an alt right dream, the only people that matter in the movie are white, you could completely remove the non white people and the movie would be better for it.
    nah, empire/first order is pretty much the alt right. So they are still the bad guys. lead by a crybaby with anger issue's.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if the new character "Geode" will be decried as to wooden.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    in the same franchise?
    With the excat same things. Could add more. lets do to make it very clear. ( han pilot one was weak i agree)

rey :
    Child of a big bad without knowing it > luke and leia
    Fighting set parent > luke
    Sand planet living there in the first movie > luke
    Going off of that planet on the falcon for the first time > luke
    instead of using a own ship she uses > han Falcon and lukes x wing
    lightsaber > luke and leia
    doubting if she will be a good jedi > luke
    going into a cave to see bad visions > luke
    going to a old hermit jedi > luke ( in both ways)
    having a robot companion for a big part of the movies > luke

to name just a few from the top of my hat.

If you take Rey 1 movie vs Jar Jar 1 movie...then yeah Jar Jar is worse in universe.
    If you see it as 2 different franchises ( so have 7,8,9 nothing to do with star wars) then Yeah jar jar is worse.
    But as she is in 3 movies she is worse then Jar Jar. Why? because she is not origonal, weak acting, badly written and she pretty much is copy of luke.

But i do not think she is the worse. That goes to Kennedy. Its clear that she is not steering star wars franchise correctly. Rogue 1, the mandalorian , star wars rebels, clone wars new season, bad batch proof that good star wars still can be made. But if you helm 3 big movies and the han solo movie and you make them bomb...you can not handle this franchise.
    Do not take it wrong, she has worked on great films. But sometimes a actor, producer, director etc might be great at 1 thing but bad at a other.
    What I'm asking is that, from the list you have above, how could a new Main Character who needs to be a Jedi have any "original" characteristics? Have some teenie entitled asshat learn that along with riches and everything they could ever want, they also get to be a jedi? Holy fuck would that be unpopular.

You're saying that the Rey character stole from previous Star Wars characters, and I'm pointing out that there aren't that many tropes left to tap when creating a new jedi character. And most of those choices are deeply unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    The entire thread was meant to be a shitpost, the minute the OP put Kathleen Kennedy as an option. Dogwhistle to the alt-right 'Fandom Menace'.
    Nah, i think Kennedy was a good option to add for it.

And yes it was a dogwhistle to the 'Fandom Menace'. While i agree with them a bleep ton of stuff was miss with the last movies ( and they are the worst star wars movies). I do not agree with all of it. And have a big problem with how they talk about it.

But kennedy gets the hate for a reason. The new movies had no reason to be this bad. Other current shows have proven it. The fact they treid to keep her of the set of the mandalorian says enough ( they is the people behind the mando).
    She gave Jar Jar abrams the reings twice. His meek/bad star trek movie and the reactions on it should not have made her pick him ( think he is very overrated and hate the fact that he is getting to recast/redo the DCU). but asking him back for the 2nd time shows she has no handle on it.

- - - Updated - - -

What I'm asking is that, from the list you have above, how could a new Main Character who needs to be a Jedi have any "original" characteristics? Have some teenie entitled asshat learn that along with riches and everything they could ever want, they also get to be a jedi? Holy fuck would that be unpopular.
    I am not saying she can not have any of the points. But all of them make it bad.
    She could have been living on a busy planet like nar shadaa. She could have made her own lightsaber from a new crystal. She could have gotten a new ship etc etc.
    And no, a rich jedi would not be bad. Or a poor one, or a in between one etc etc. Thats the problem there are many options to be a jedi. Not just a person on a sand planet without any family anymore. Until that person finds out the big bad is her relative.

You're saying that the Rey character stole from previous Star Wars characters, and I'm pointing out that there aren't that many tropes left to tap when creating a new jedi character. And most of those choices are deeply unpopular.
    Stole, nope i would/should frame it more as copy. Weak copy.

yes there are , there are many MANY tropes left. Or to be a jedi you need to be a parentless, sand planet, evil family member having human?

take ashoka as a example. completly different jedi. way cooler.

And what choices where unpopular?

Maybe don't have them be a poor human pilot on a desert planet with a cute droid companion? If they wanted to make a clone of the basic premise they should have at least made it less obvious. Like Make them an alien factoryworker on an ice planet with a cute creature companion.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-04-05 at 11:10 PM.

All the projects you listed are executive produced by Kathleen Kennedy. And as far as anyone can prove, have about the same level of "interference" in them from her. She was probably involved in casting for all of them, and that's about it. All these products are the direct results of their writers/directors.

And no matter what people say, Rian Johnson is a great fucking director. He proved it right after TLJ with Knives Out. If anything, I think the series was failed by Abrams. I'll say this: I woulda rather had the whole trilogy done by Johnson, as opposed to Abrams. I don't think you would have gotten Rey as a Skywalker, I don't think you would have gotten the Emperor back, I don't think you would have gotten the by-the-numbers first movie either.

Both the criticisms of Kennedy and (to a lesser extent) Johnson (whose sin was deviating too far from formulaic Star Wars after VII was criticized for being too formulaic) stem from this Fandom Menace corner of the internet, and are fairly nonsensical.

Boba Fett is the dumbest character in Star Wars. That he has actual fans is annoying. Also baffling.

Rey is just an underwritten character. She's pretty much Luke Skywalker except a girl. Abrams didn't give it anymore thought than that.

Jar Jar was just half-assed comedic relief written by someone who isn't a comedian.

As a first showing viewer when EP1 came out in theaters (God-awful long time ago) when I was in the US Navy stationed in Japan, Jar Jar didn't (and still doesn't) bother me to the ungodly amount of hate ppl hate on him now. It's Star Wars and there's annoying characters in any of the trilogies/movies/shows. I found Luke to be the most annoying in the OT, Mace Windu in PT, and Rey in ST.

Since Kathleen Kennedy took over Darth Mouse's stable of Star Wars, it's been about Grrl Power and that even bled over to Avengers: Endgame (the MOST out of place scene in the entire movie!!!) which fans hated and despised. Kathleen supposedly was getting the axe in wild rumors but that's all bullshit. Capt Marvel was decent but Brie Larson gets on my nerves, not matter how hot she may be for a white chick.

My problem with ppl and reviewers on Star Wars / Avengers movies is that they view it as ONE MOVIE and not the entire series or story arc. Oh God EP3 sucked ass! No it didn't. It was beautiful. It showed Anakin as the most powerful Jedi user succumb to emotions and attachments, forbidden by that current Jedi Order. But he didn't just drink the glass of Kool Aid, he chugged the pitcher. Only years later when faced with his son (arguably THE most powerful Force User in Star Wars lore) did Anakin see he made a mistake. That's depth and story arc from EP 2 and 3 that can't be quantified by reviewing just each movie by itself. Review it as a whole trilogy. Sure, the best thing about EP1 was the podracing scenes and the Mail vs Qui Gon and Obi Wan fight. Otherwise is sorta sucked but it defined the PT that Darth Vader/Anakin was Jedi Jesus manifested by The Force (can be argued that Palpatine did it but I disagree).
    Back to Jar Jar, this stupid motherfucker started the Empire. See: Revenge of the Sith. Idiot from EP1 and 2 and I didn't have high hopes for EP3 and then he comes out and starts the Empire (by votes in the Senate). Order 66, Jedi hunted down, etc can all thank Jar Jar Binks. To me, despite what you think of Lucas, is absolute perfect writing. A dumbass nobody ultimately becomes Senator and starts the Galactic Empire. Find me another character with such depth as Binks in subsequent movies/shows of SW.

Kathleen Kennedy needs to go. Dave Filoni and Jon Farveau have done ridiculously well in the SW universe and restarted the love for the franchise (Rogue One kinda helped too). I say give Filoni and Farveau a blank check for anything Marvel/SW related and it's a printing press of money for Darth Mouse.

Closing this thread for trolling.