Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Excuse me what? Stable and complete? Memory leak crashes, combat action delays, constant loading screen sometimes even when simply initiating dialogue to hide all that memory glitching and myriad of other well recorded bullshitteries plagued SWTOR well into the second year after launch. That game knew no stability at all for good half a year after it's initial release. Did you actually play it on launch, or on the F2P launch?
    it's strange, I got none of those problems you talk about and I played both the swtor beta & from early launch

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    More like "more than half of those ships aren't even in the game yet".

There was an infographic from a year ago, I think, that showed all of the ships that were promised, and which ones were actually flyable in the game. It was like 1/3rd of the total ships promised were actually in the game. And even then, about half of them are actually functionally. Sure, you can fly your Reclaimer around, but it's a useless piece of junk because it's a salvaging ship... but salvage gameplay hasn't even bee designed yet (as admitted by CIG devs in a video about 6 months ago).
    That is just sad. Even the scummiest F2P games at least have the cash shop be stuff you can use right now, rather you basically paying for a promise that you'll be able to use the thing at some indeterminate point in the future somehow.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    it's strange, I got none of those problems you talk about and I played both the swtor beta & from early launch
    Well that is funny because you'll only have to type swtor memory leak and there'll be hundreds of posts immediatly about the matter from the launch era and following years. Same goes with articles and matters regarding the loading screen issues. Perhaps you are just one of the extremely lucky ones to avoid widespread issues.

The whole reason why Hero Engine got so horribly stigmatized and shat upon was because how horribly it performed for SWTOR. Hell, even Hero Engine creator company distanced itself from SWTOR saying it's Bioware's version of some incredibly early alpha and not representative of their product because of the hot mess it was.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2021-04-05 at 03:39 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Excuse me what? Stable and complete? Memory leak crashes, combat action delays, constant loading screen sometimes even when simply initiating dialogue to hide all that memory glitching and myriad of other well recorded bullshitteries plagued SWTOR well into the second year after launch. That game knew no stability at all for good half a year after it's initial release. Did you actually play it on launch, or on the F2P launch?
    I played on Tott Donetta server. Prolly first to hit level 50 on server or maybe 2nd.
    I played until legacy system released. Got full champion gear. Did all instances. Completed class stories for 3 classes. Raided all instances and collected all datacrons.

I remember memory leak and loading screen problems but none of them were game breaking. Yes, it was pretty stable for a new game. I had played WoW on release too and it was way worse. My only complaint for game would be having too many servers on release which effected the server population.

Well that is funny because you'll only have to type swtor memory leak and there'll be hundreds of posts immediatly about the matter from the launch era and following years. Same goes with articles and matters regarding the loading screen issues. Perhaps you are just one of the extremely lucky ones to avoid widespread issues.

The whole reason why Hero Engine got so horribly stigmatized and shat upon was because how horribly it performed for SWTOR. Hell, even Hero Engine creator company distanced itself from SWTOR saying it's Bioware's version of some incredibly early alpha and not representative of their product because of the hot mess it was.
    yeah, hundred of posts, millions of players... not even 0.01% statistics there, you sure showed us how important the problem was!!

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I find it kinda fascinating that the same excuses from several years ago are somehow still relevant in 2021.

There really is no real defence for this colossal shitshow. I pity the people that continue to bend over for CIG on this forum.
    i know right. I wonder when they will stop using the 'they had to build a new studio' excuse.
    Its been 9 years of 'they had to build a new studio'.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    i know right. I wonder when they will stop using the 'they had to build a new studio' excuse.
    Kenn and Ando (if he starts posting again) have used every excuse for SC that they could and beyond.

So in short yes they will recycle stuff already proven false regardless of being proven wrong, even if it is by Chris Roberts saying it is untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    Kenn and Ando (if he starts posting again) have used every excuse for SC that they could and beyond.

So in short yes they will recycle stuff already proven false regardless of being proven wrong, even if it is by Chris Roberts saying it is untrue.
    What have we been proven wrong about, did CiG have to build a company from scratch and take 5 years to get a reasonable staff level, did the whole game completely change just after the kickstarter, it seems you lack the understanding of proving someone wrong is very limited.

Its not hard to understand if more things get added to a game it takes longer to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If a company with thousands of staff takes 8-9 years to develop a sandbox game, why do you beleive it should take less time to develop a space MMO with 1/3 of the staff to develop it.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-04-06 at 01:28 AM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Sunk Cost fallacy. The thread.

Hm... seems like there are only two things that are interesting in the new patch.

• Larger caves that can fly your ship into. They will also have bounty missions where you go to the cave to do FPS combat to kill bounty targets. 30k UEC is pretty good, more worth the effort to slog through the horribly buggy FPS combat than the 8k bunker missions on Hurston (reminder: netcode issues where the NPCs are shooting you through walls and kill you before said NPC had even stepped out of cover and become visible on your screen, also time to kill is too bloody short, so combined with the netcode issue, you can be on your a-game and still randomly die for reasons completely out of your control.) I will check out the cave bounty missions for sure, but if it's just going to be a repeat of the awful bunker experience, then I won't be farming them.
    • Pickpocketing other players is an unexpected feature and sounds really cool. Would be cool if you could pickpocket weapons too. But I don't think that the crime system is ready for this. Right now, if you commit a crime in front of a guard, you don't get crime stat because the guard saw you do it and reported you. You got crime stat simply for doing it in the area. So with the current system, if you were to be very careful and pickpocket a guy with no cameras or other NPCs watching you, you would still get crime stat, which is bullocks. At the same time, you would also have the problem where maybe you're okay with a friend taking stuff off you, like a spare gun (because trying to give people stuff right now is an extremely laborious process, as you have to wait for your mobiglass to open, wait for your inventory screen to load, click too dozen times... etc. Takes a bloody minute just to give someone a spare gun), but that person would be automatically punished because it'd be considered pickpocketing. Would be nice if you got a pop-up telling you "your friend/party member pickpocketed you. Press 'N' to press charges, press 'L' to decline."

- - - Updated - - -

Another problem with pickpocketing is that the levels aren't really designed to support this sandbox RPGy gameplay like Skyrim or Kingdom Come Deliverance. If you go to a station or go to city on a planet or an outpost on the moon, the level/environment design of the places are extremely simplistic. There aren't places to hide out of line of sight, or vents you can crawl through, or alternate routes to flee from guards, etc. And ground NPC AI hasn't been updated since 2017 and is still broken, so you still have NPCs T-posing in chairs and walking in place. Those NPCs can't be manipulated by throwing glass to distract their attention so you can commit a crime or get into a restricted area. The NPCs in SC are pretty static.

The most depth you would have for pickpocketing would be just waiting for an NPC to turn their back, and that would be it. And, again, you'd still get crime-stat for the aforementioned reasons. And if you get crime-stat in a city, you're dead because armistice zones are still a thing, meaning you can't draw your gun in cities/stations/outposts, so you can't shoot back at the guards who are coming to kill you.

I suspect that pick-pocketing would only be really useful for if you are in a combat situation and you killed just a guy and want to quickly loot his medipens or his ammo clips.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-04-06 at 03:09 AM.

another patch of adding some stuff with half that don't work and the other half being either useless or incomplete? what a happy life those dev must have to never be fire for such competence!

small indy company and all that lol

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post

If a company with thousands of staff takes 8-9 years to develop a sandbox game, why do you beleive it should take less time to develop a space MMO with 1/3 of the staff to develop it.
    Its not us thinking that way. Its Chris Roberts and his band thought they could develop in shorter time with less staff and when they saw they can't, they started telling lies.
    That's how bad their management is. This is why people should stop paying to this game.
    They wouldn't lie if they had honor. Soon 2016, right.

But once again, staffing is their problem. Not the customers'.

If you're selling a car to someone and they complain ten years later that it's still nowhere to be done, the answer "Yeah but I'm building alone DUDE" will not be valid. Nor will "But look at the other companies !!!!" be.

They've raised the Kickstarter to build their project on. Which means they should have assessed the realisticness (? Is there a word for that ?) of their project at the very beginning, by checking how many staff they'd need to complete it in X years. That's, like, the very basics of any project management...
    At some point you should realize that most of their failures are their own fault. They shouldn't have sold something they knew they were unable to pull out.

Every time you're selling that Roberts as some kind of genius, I'm pretty sure he knew from Day 0 his project was impossible to pull out (and it shows).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Every time you're selling that Roberts as some kind of genius, I'm pretty sure he knew from Day 0 his project was impossible to pull out (and it shows).
    I mean, he is a genius, he got half a billion dollars without even delivering a product.

That's a legendary feat that will be written in gaming history regardless of how it ends up. The guy should be EA CEO after this - imagine EA with all their silly "live service" and "early access" - he got them beat.

And yeah, I mean, what interest he has in even releasing the game? Seems to be doing great as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    Its not us thinking that way. Its Chris Roberts and his band thought they could develop in shorter time with less staff and when they saw they can't, they started telling lies.
    That's how bad their management is. This is why people should stop paying to this game.
    The original 2012 pitch of SC/SQ42 would've been easily doable in 4 years. And that's the problem I have with SC/SQ42. Not that it's delayed and won't be releasing in years (if not MAYBE SQ42 at some point in next 2-3 years), but the fact that they are not making the 2012 pitched game I originally backed anymore. The Freelancer meets Wing Commander space flying sim, where you have your single player campaign, which then continues to "persistent universe" multiplayer, where you can either join their own (small servers) or you can play with friends on your own hosted persistent universe server. That was what I wanted. Now the concept is free-for-all sandbox MMO with hoverbikes and tanks. Uuuf. No thanks. I'm still interested to see how SQ42 turns out, but lost all interest in the "end product" of Star Citizen, whenever that potentially would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    They didnt even mention a release date on the SQ42 or the PU, the only thing that may of happened was a small section of SQ42 to be available in 2016, it was never going to be fully released so your just talking BS, its up to the company if they want to wait until its complete or not and can change thier mind about anything if it doesnt hit the required quality.

2016 is around when planet tech was coming along so SQ42 was going to be completely changed so the missions could include planet gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    But once again, staffing is their problem. Not the customers'.

If you're selling a car to someone and they complain ten years later that it's still nowhere to be done, the answer "Yeah but I'm building alone DUDE" will not be valid. Nor will "But look at the other companies !!!!" be.

They've raised the Kickstarter to build their project on. Which means they should have assessed the realisticness (? Is there a word for that ?) of their project at the very beginning, by checking how many staff they'd need to complete it in X years. That's, like, the very basics of any project management...
    At some point you should realize that most of their failures are their own fault. They shouldn't have sold something they knew they were unable to pull out.

CiG are constantly recruiting, its taken a ton of time for companies like rockstar and such to have built up to the level they are now, Chris had game A which would of been freelancer 2.0 but he wanted to make game B depending if it was possible or not and money came flying in so chris went all out for the game he really wanted to make, its his choice and was backed by a large amount of the playerbase.

They are proving they can do it, there is only so much the current team can work on at a time and what they have done is coming along very nicely, i would rather wait as long as it takes to get a good space game with depth rather than something that will be finished with as fast as a single player sandbox game.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-04-06 at 07:40 PM.

They didnt even mention a release date on the SQ42 or the PU, the only thing that may of happened was a small section of SQ42 to be available in 2016, it was never going to be fully released so your just talking BS, its up to the company if they want to wait until its complete or not and can change thier mind about anything if it doesnt hit the required quality.

2016 is around when planet tech was coming along so SQ42 was going to be completely changed so the missions could include planet gameplay.
    Except 2016 was the initial release date for the game. And in 2016 he said the game would be playable in mid-2017. In 2016 the game was "feature locked", too. Oh, and an early 2020 beta which appears nowhere in site still.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citize...2-release-date
    https://screenrant.com/squadron-42-wont-beta-mid-2020/

We literally have CIG sites and spokespeople saying these things and you're calling them lies. This is, at best, gaslighting. Don't do that.

This is why CIG shut the hell up about dates, because people kept like, holding them to the dates they said and getting upset when those dates were missed by years. CIG now just takes the Blizzard approach after years of giving and missing delivery dates on features or finished products.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except 2016 was the initial release date for the game. And in 2016 he said the game would be playable in mid-2017. In 2016 the game was "feature locked", too. Oh, and an early 2020 beta which appears nowhere in site still.

We literally have CIG sites and spokespeople saying these things and you're calling them lies. This is, at best, gaslighting. Don't do that.

This is why CIG shut the hell up about dates, because people kept like, holding them to the dates they said and getting upset when those dates were missed by years. CIG now just takes the Blizzard approach after years of giving and missing delivery dates on features or finished products.
    All the articles even state no official release dates were mentioned, its up to CiG what they want to do with the game at the end of the day and when those dates were even mentioned planet tech would have not been included in SQ42, lockdown has also slowed game development for many companies as its never going to be as effective working from home, the game will be ready when its ready all dates are placeholders until we can actually play it.

Adding planetside missions for SQ42 will require a ton of work but on the upside all that work is used in the PU so it wont be just wasted on a single player campaign. CiG went for the complete experience and not just keeping it to a space only game like the kickstarter was going to be.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

@Edge you have pointed this out to him 2 - 3 times over the last 2 years and it is the same every time. Hell if you look back about 18 months ago or so he went so far as to deny deadlines even exist when talking to you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Some people are ok with a space sim that has cool ships and a good looking immersive environment where they can just chill in space. If that's not your thing and you're expecting a "finished" game with progression that you can beat and forget about like most games then obviously it's not for you.

And people bitching about the funding is comical on a board created for a game that charges $15 a month just to play on top of a base price for each expansion. If you had played WoW since 2004 that would come out to thousands of dollars compared to a $45 lump sum for this game. And I say all that having not even played the game besides the free trial.
    Yes, I calculated how much did cost me.... somewhere in 3000 dollars ballpark.