Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I doubt there will be 9.3. Unless by some miracle Bobby and his top suits let Blizzard delay the next expansion, 10.0 needs to be out in 2022. With how delayed 9.1 is, there is barely time left for 9.2, much less for 9.3.
    For a potential 9.3, Blizzard has to delay 10.0 by about 4-6 months. This is not going to happen as it makes no sense. What will Blizzard‘s management think about this? Hey, let’s postpone 10.0 and lose $300 million this quarter, just because!
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-04-06 at 10:31 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I don't think that there is a lot of overlap between Classic (soon to be BC) and retail players. Both games are different enough as to be completely separate entities, even if they bear both the same name. Chances are that retail players don't feel at ease on Classic, and vice-versa.

And if there ever is a WoW 2, it should be to WoW 1 what the original WoW was to EQ, i.e. a game with a much more casual friendly approach, a game that isn't designed to cater to the top 5% of hardcore players but to the rest. And if they want WoW 2 to be another hardcore paradise, which they are entitled to, at least make it clear from the very beginning, much like GGG did when PoE was still in beta.
    Depends what you consider to be minimal. I'd say anywhere from 10-25% of the Classic player base (those that hit 60 and raided BWL) would have transitioned to Retail. You're quite right though in that they are separate entities. I've nearly always played the release and then quit since WoD while in Classic I played the whole way, there is just something quite different in the original version that felt more meaningful but I do still enjoy both.

On being casual friendly, Retail is to WoW Classic as Wow Classic was to EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Although I don't think it's controversial when I say that SL honeymoon period was longer than BfAs.
    It was, I even agree on that. The first weeks for Shadowlands were really good. But the fall after honeymoon might be even harder than with BfA, which is... something. I think even WoD managed to have a less steep decline because BRF came 2.5 months after release and people were busy by that. WoD just plummeted after the horrible 6.1 and BRF was done. Shadowlands right now just exists and this will be the status quo for at least 2-3 more months. I mean from BRF to 6.2 it was only ~ 4.5 months, so that helped as well, but people were burned out by the lack of content. I still can’t believe that Shadowlands‘ first content patch comes after the same time as WoD‘s last.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-04-06 at 10:33 AM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    ive seen that article, and it literaly said after half of player leaving we are BACK TO PRE EXPANSION NUMBERS
    this happens every expansion (and in smaller amplitude patch) are people realy not able to see the pattern after over a decade?! really?!
    The issue is the intensity of the pattern. Yes, people leave. No, not half the playerbase. Yes, people come back for the first patch. No, the first patch shouldn't take as long as the second patch.

Maybe if SL had new content patches a lot more frequently like in Legion it might have been climbing the ladder in popularity. As of now all I see is an empty game getting even emptier with no sign of the upcoming major patch coming anywhere close. I'm actually afraid to see what the 9.1 PTR has in store because if it ends up being dissapointing then we're stuck with it for another 6 months at least. There's also no certainty that we even get a 9.3 and that we might lose yet another raid tier like in WoD, considering how long it takes for them to release patches nowadays and they would rather move into the next expansion if the current proves to be unpopular. A quick look at Google Trends shows how much less interest there is and its a rather steep decline, it has less searches than both Classic WoW, ESO and FF14 who all seem to be growing in popularity instead. And yes I know Google Trends is not reliable but its not like I can fully trust Blizzard and their sweet talking either.

As for my experience I still barely meet anyone in the game anymore and I don't feel like participating in most content. I still have to finish Twisted Corridors, and every weekend I keep telling myself to just go ahead and run but then I realise how long and wasteful it feels and I'd rather do something else instead. Raiding has gotten boring now and I'm not a fan of Mythic+. I started to level a new alt to experience another covenant campaign but the questing feels so bland. This expansion overall has a low effort feeling all over the place. Really hope it gets better because I stil llike WoW, but not the current iteration we are in which is why I mostly stick with Classic.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    It was, I even agree on that. The first weeks for Shadowlands were really good. But the fall after honeymoon might be even harder than with BfA, which is... something. I think even WoD managed to have a less steep decline because BRF came 2.5 months after release and people were busy by that. WoD just plummeted after the horrible 6.1 and BRF was done. Shadowlands right now just exists and this will be the status quo for at least 2-3 more months. I mean from BRF to 6.2 it was only ~ 4.5 months, so that helped as well, but people were burned out by the lack of content. I still can’t believe that Shadowlands‘ first content patch comes after the same time as WoD‘s last.
    It might arrive before 6.2 but not by a lot. A week at maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    ive seen that article, and it literaly said after half of player leaving we are BACK TO PRE EXPANSION NUMBERS
    this happens every expansion (and in smaller amplitude patch) are people realy not able to see the pattern after over a decade?! really?!
    People prefer sensational claims like "Wow is dead/dying!" It's been a thing since 2004.

In other news this is only slightly ahead of my playtime in Cataclysm where I quit right after gearing for the first raid. I mean I still play albeit waaaaay more casual. I've just grown tired of people only taking meta for mythic plus atm and I used to skirt around this by tanking on different classes but I just want to warlock now and be as brain dead as all the meta catering noobs in keys atm. Let me go do my mount farm while occasional keys.

Honestly TBC classic feels more casual and enticing to me compared to retail because I know there will be no mandatory homeworks that I have to do every single day to stay relevant. Not a SL exclusive problem though because it really started in Legion. The attunements feel like god's blessing compared to the AP/Azerite/Covenent/Whatever timeblocks we have now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beuargh View Post
    don't know if it rapidly climbed the ladder in popularity, but DAYUM how fast the fall is .... lol

WQ was the new name for daily quests and daily quests exist in wow since BC.
    Sure, but at least WQs in Legion were far, FAR less annoying than their SL iteration.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Honestly TBC classic feels more casual and enticing to me compared to retail because I know there will be no mandatory homeworks that I have to do every single day to stay relevant. Not a SL exclusive problem though because it really started in Legion. The attunements feel like god's blessing compared to the AP/Azerite/Covenent/Whatever timeblocks we have now.
    In BC, professions allow you to craft some quite nifty gear, which will last for much longer than the initial month of the xpac, which is a huge boon for casuals, or at least people who cannot/doesn't want to commit a lot of time to raiding. Also f**k M+, at least in their current version.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

It was, I even agree on that. The first weeks for Shadowlands were really good. But the fall after honeymoon might be even harder than with BfA, which is... something.
    It isn't, though, outside of your imagination. And WoD lost somewhere around 70% in the first two months, going from over 10m back down to somewhere around 3, so... well, calling it "less steep" is somewhat inaccurate. BRF was pretty irrelevant since most players don't raid much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I doubt there will be 9.3. Unless by some miracle Bobby and his top suits let Blizzard delay the next expansion, 10.0 needs to be out in 2022. With how delayed 9.1 is, there is barely time left for 9.2, much less for 9.3.
    I wonder if there was ever a plan for 9.3.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It isn't, though, outside of your imagination. And WoD lost somewhere around 70% in the first two months, going from over 10m back down to somewhere around 3, so... well, calling it "less steep" is somewhat inaccurate. BRF was pretty irrelevant since most players don't raid much.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...umbers-anymore

5.5 million was the last reported count in September 2015.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I smell another 4.3 or 8.3 type of rehash incoming - if the remaining players are lucky, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yeah, this is a question I was asking myself as well. Maybe they never planned a 9.3 after they realized they didn't meet the initial release date. Maybe there were plans for 9.3 back during they pitched the concept for Shadowlands' two or three years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I smell another 4.3 or 8.3 type of rehash incoming - if the remaining players are lucky, that is.
    Only if they're willing to sacrifice 4-6 months to keep a very low sub number around. And regarding how excessive Blizzard's monetization has become, I very much doubt this. More $$$ -> win.

Yeah, this is a question I was asking myself as well. Maybe they never planned a 9.3 after they realized they didn't meet the initial release date. Maybe there were plans for 9.3 back during they pitched the concept for Shadowlands' two or three years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Only if they're willing to sacrifice 4-6 months to keep a very low sub number around. And regarding how excessive Blizzard's monetization has become, I very much doubt this. More $$$ -> win.
    The "expansion long anima farm"-thing suddenly starts to make sense now if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    The "expansion long anima farm"-thing suddenly starts to make sense now if you think about it.
    It makes sense when you view content design as an arms race between blizzard and players. Blizzard doesn’t want people to be done too quickly so they pace consumption rates around the tip of the spear population (doesn’t matter what, can be any form of content). Naturally everyone else is going to be way lower than them and when blizzard ups the requirements they increase the pace of the treadmill for the population.

Also they no doubt want content to bleed over to future expansions in order to milk out the legacy transmog players and their frustrations at being unable to complete things but still remaining subbed (much like right now with mythic legion raid content not being really feasible for avg skill level until above 220+).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Shadowlands is certainly *Not* climbing the ladder, when its the expansion that lost over 1/2 of the player base, thats just a harsh fact.

Im not saying that Shadowlands didnt have better ideas than BFA it did, but the execution evidently shows visual evidence that years of up and downhill promises are showing their fatigue.

Blizz would honestly be better making WoW 2.
    Do people really think that blizzard would magically become better developers if instead of calling it WoW: *Expansion title here*, they call it wow 2?

- - - Updated - - -

I think we will still get a .2 and .3, Im willing to bet that they are making a huge patch and they will just cut it in half and move on. So expect more shallow and heavily time gating..

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    I feel that way about raid gear drops, definitely felt artificially stretched out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooginava182 View Post
    Do people really think that blizzard would magically become better developers if instead of calling it WoW: *Expansion title here*, they call it wow 2?
    People just don’t get the common sense point that if you have to make a numbered sequel to a regularly updated product you failed previously on, why would/should anyone buy this supposed numbered sequel?

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    I think we will still get a .2 and .3, Im willing to bet that they are making a huge patch and they will just cut it in half and move on. So expect more shallow and heavily time gating..
    I just think most of what was planned for 9.2 and 9.3 has been reiterated where they kept the important stuff, threw out all the unnecessary stuff and mashed two content patches into just one. Maybe they'll give us zone / story in 9.2 and the raid in 9.2.5, that's a possibility on how to time gate stuff.