Only 42% overall, including only 65% of Democrats and 45% independents believed it was clearly not Antifa. That surprised me.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2021-04-06 at 02:40 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/u...iot-study.html

When the political scientist Robert Pape began studying the issues that motivated the 380 or so people arrested in connection with the attack against the Capitol on Jan. 6, he expected to find that the rioters were driven to violence by the lingering effects of the 2008 Great Recession.

But instead he found something very different: Most of the people who took part in the assault came from places, his polling and demographic data showed, that were awash in fears that the rights of minorities and immigrants were crowding out the rights of white people in American politics and culture.

If Mr. Pape’s initial conclusions — published on Tuesday in The Washington Post — hold true, they would suggest that the Capitol attack has historical echoes reaching back to before the Civil War, he said in an interview over the weekend. In the shorter term, he added, the study would appear to connect Jan. 6 not only to the once-fringe right-wing theory called the Great Replacement, which holds that minorities and immigrants are seeking to take over the country, but also to events like the far-right rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017 where crowds of white men marched with torches chanting, “Jews will not replace us!

“If you look back in history, there has always been a series of far-right extremist movements responding to new waves of immigration to the United States or to movements for civil rights by minority groups,” Mr. Pape said. “You see a common pattern in the Capitol insurrectionists. They are mainly middle-class to upper-middle-class whites who are worried that, as social changes occur around them, they will see a decline in their status in the future.
    More in the article, but damn. It seems like "EcoNOmiC AnxIEtY" is code for, "Scared racists who think they're losing their privileged position in society."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/u...iot-study.html

More in the article, but damn. It seems like "EcoNOmiC AnxIEtY" is code for, "Scared racists who think they're losing their privileged position in society."
    I mean, the "economic anxiety" crowd always vote Republican, and Republican economic platforms have always worked against resolving those anxieties in any way whatsoever, so it's always been clear it's not really economic anxiety driving their votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Believing that the Jan. 6 attacks were SECRET ANTIFA - ...and 19% of Democrats (slight increase).
    I've come to accept that the right wing has entirely lost grip on reality but you are telling me 1 in 5 DEMOCRATS think Jan 6th was led by the left?

What is happening in this country?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I've come to accept that the right wing has entirely lost grip on reality but you are telling me 1 in 5 DEMOCRATS think Jan 6th was led by the left?

What is happening in this country?
    There are a LOT of stupid people. Stupidity doesn't stick to any end of the ideological spectrum, it's pervasive.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a LOT of stupid people. Stupidity doesn't stick to any end of the ideological spectrum, it's pervasive.
    To be fair, there's also gonna be an error rate in polls like this, where people just flatly pick the wrong option because they didn't understand the question properly or hit the wrong button and didn't notice or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think folks quickly forgot Trump supporters celebrating that they ruined polling, when Trump was leading. We had a couple say it here...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

“I’m done with politics and I just want to focus on rebuilding my life and fighting my case,” Sandlin said. “I love my country and I do believe what I did was shameful.”

Said a man arrested for storming the Capitol - https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-te...s-tells-judge/

10+ Year Old Account
    “I’m done with politics and I just want to focus on rebuilding my life and fighting my case,” Sandlin said. “I love my country and I do believe what I did was shameful.”

Said a man arrested for storming the Capitol - https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-te...s-tells-judge/
    He can focus on rebuilding his life after his prison sentence for the crimes he committed.

Fuck this attitude of trying to avoid taking responsibility the moment you realize that oh shit, they're actually gonna prosecute you for the obvious crimes you knew you were committing.

10+ Year Old Account
    have they said how they are all going to be tried?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    have they said how they are all going to be tried?
    Presumably individually in federal court. There aren't a whole lot of alternatives that really make much sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Presumably individually in federal court. There aren't a whole lot of alternatives that really make much sense.
    No, but it bears repeating that pre-existing convictions can be called as precedent in future cases. If they convict one guy for breaking into the Capitol, then anyone who followed him in is almost certainly going to face a conviction on the same basis, citing that case as precedent. The defense would have to provide substantive new exculpatory evidence to avoid that conviction, for their client, or it'll get rubber-stamped through, and that kind of defense is unlikely.

Especially when we factor in the felony murder rule. I imagine that's waiting to see if anyone can be found legally culpable for the deaths, because once that first domino tips, literally everyone who walked into the Capitol as part of that insurrection could go down for murder. Just on the basis of "you were there, as part of this movement? Guilty, sentence is thus."

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    haha lmao the man who murdered a cop by ramming his car into him wasn't a white man you libz must be feeling so fuckin' PWND xD

fuckin' child.
    The woke left pawned themselves with their disgusting behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    What disgusting behavior? Wanting rights for everyone, including Due Process for everyone, instead of summary executions for people for petty crimes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    What disgusting behavior? Wanting rights for everyone, including Due Process for everyone, instead of summary executions for people for petty crimes?
    All treating blacks and the LGBT like they're people, man. It's gross. They've got, like, cooties or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the crazy people, Destiny had debates with two insurrectionist that were arrested for planning. If you want a peek into their logic, sensitized for a wider audience... here are the pertinent bits:

- - - Updated - - -

Was this before or after Blue Lives Mater flag carriers killed a cop? Before or after ya’ll trampled someone carrying a Don’t tread on me flag? Before or after ya’ll donated money to a billionaire? Before or after they begged for pardons, that went to 100s of NYC elite in jail for ripping off working class?

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Was this before or after Blue Lives Mater flag carriers killed a cop? Before or after ya’ll trampled someone carrying a Don’t tread on me flag? Before or after ya’ll donated money to a billionaire? Before or after they begged for pardons, that went to 100s of NYC elite in jail for ripping off working class?
    Sorry i have no idea what you are saying

10+ Year Old Account
    They are obviously disgusted by all schadenfreude we are feeling, as the latest scam Trump pulled on his supporters gets exposed. What was the last one? Prechecked, reoccurring charges when donating to stop the steal? Something that the Kraken claims no one in their right mind would believe?

How is that for being owned? They donated 170 million to a billionaire... based on arguments that the very people who made them, now claim no rational person would believe. 170 million worth and an insurrection later... they still don’t understand they were ripped off.

I hope those liberal tears were worth that 170 million... because it’s fucking hilarious...

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry i have no idea what you are saying
    It’s blind bias for a reason... even after Powell calls ya’ll irrational, after donating 170 million... you still have no idea what I’m saying.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe...h=3f57f13a58a3
    Former President Donald Trump's reelection campaign issued a staggering sum of $122.7 million in refunds to supporters in 2020, giving back nearly 11% of the money it raised, according to an investigative report published by the New York Times on Saturday based on an analysis of Federal Election Commission filings.
    Hey, are liberal tears like GameStop stocks? I hope you invested well...
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-04-07 at 02:46 AM.

And if a few innocent people get theirs live destroyed that is perfectly acceptable right?

10+ Year Old Account
    And if a few innocent people get theirs live destroyed that is perfectly acceptable right?
    Why would we entertain imaginary fictions like this?