Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Tell me that's not really on winred right now...
    https://thebulwark.com/the-nrcc-carr...cam-tradition/

Do you even seriously have to ask? It's more than just that, that's just the most standout bit of insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not a cult, it's not a cult!
    It's probably not. It's a bonafide religion at this point. They're guilting you into tithing, and everything.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...rump-officials

Unsurprisingly: Even high level officials in Trumps administration like McConnell's wife, Elain Chao, former Transportation Secretary, are having a helluva time finding the kind of work they did before joining the administration.

Guess there are gonna be a lot of other folks joining the Pence's as they couch-surf their way through a post-Trump presidency where they find themselves unemployed and largely unwanted by any company who can afford to pay them a decent salary for sitting on a board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they should like, work on their party platform and messaging instead?
    Can you imagine how boring the Kasich Shitshow thread would be? Like, 100 pages?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Can you imagine how boring the Kasich Shitshow thread would be? Like, 100 pages?
    I mean...any Republican administration would have come with its fair share of dogshit policies. The main difference between the "platform and messaging" of Trump and the rest of the GOP was the words they used while implementing said dogshit policies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Giuliani files a motion to dismiss the Dominion lawsuit against him.

"On what grounds?"

He says he didn't do it.

"...he knows that's what the trial is for, right?"

Well he also claims that Dominion lacks the standing to file.

"But they're the injured party. Yes, they do."

Well, the filing also claims that Dominion can only file for lost profits.

"Well first of all, Dominion's filings show $650 million in losses or likely losses, the rest is punative. Which they're allowed to do by law. Isn't Giuliani a lawyer?"

I mean, he is for now.

YSBA has received hundreds of complaints in recent months about Mr. Giuliani and his baseless efforts on behalf of President Trump to --
    "No no no. I mean, he went to law school. He's supposed to know the stuff he's staying is head-meltingly stupid."

Giuliani missed the deadlinet o respond to Dominion's lawsuit and asked for a 35-day extension which ends in a matter of hours. Incidentally, 35 days before that, he said

Dominion’s defamation lawsuit for $1.3B will allow me to investigate their history, finances, and practices fully and completely. The amount being asked for is, quite obviously, intended to frighten people of faint heart. It is another act of intimidation by the hate-filled left-wing to wipe out and censor the exercise of free speech, as well as the ability of lawyers to defend their clients vigorously. As such, we will investigate a countersuit against them for violating these Constitutional rights.
    "Did he do literally any of that?"

No.

"Is there a Constitutional right to accuse someone else of fraud, in public, without evidence?"

No.

"Doesn't Giuliani's filed-today claim that Dominion can only sue for losses, fly in the face of his claim they can't sue him for money he doesn't have? If he claims the law says they can sue for losses, why is he complaining that the number isn't based on his finances?"

Because he's desperate and floundering. In addition to everything Giuliani said in public, about Dominion, that even if he through it was true he lacked evidence, what about all those court filings he personally signed?

And before we get too far away from this, remember: It's not if Giuliani knowingly lied. It's about if he made shit up and said it was true.

What are the major issues in the Dominion Voting Systems defamation case against Rudy Giuliani? What should law students be paying attention to?

The real major issue revolves around Mr. Giuliani's state of mind when he made the statement. When the plaintiff in a defamation case is a "public figure," Supreme Court authority requires that plaintiff to show not only that the defendant uttered a false statement damaging to reputation, but that the defendant knew it was false or acted with reckless disregard of its accuracy. The Court refers to this state of mind as "constitutional malice." The standard is designed to prevent a conflict between defamation law and the principles of the First Amendment. Moreover, the standard for constitutional malice is subjective. It is not whether a reasonable person would have known the statement to be false, but rather whether Mr. Giuliani knew it was false and said it anyway.

Dominion is almost certainly a public figure, at least insofar as issues of election integrity are concerned. Mr. Giuliani's statements were based on the declaration of an anonymous Venezuelan military officer, which he obtained from another Trump lawyer named Sidney Powell. The case will thus hinge on whether it was legally reckless for Mr. Giuliani to rely on this document.
    "So, he's fucked. This was his big I-need-a-month-extension and he still came up with wild flailing like a muppet in a tumble dryer."

He has one last emergency exit that I don't think's been touched on. See, Giuliani could claim his main basis for the statements is the bolded red above. He could try to throw Powell under the bus to save himself, and say "Whaaaaaaaaa? One of Trump's employees showed me information that was questionable? I am shocked, I say, shocked! I had no reason to question the Kraken when she handed me an unsigned, unnamed statement from a continent my boss insists is full of drugs, crime, and rapists like his ally Gaetz. I was merely quoting in good faith what I was shown to be as ironclad as any other unnamed source my boss has claimed are Fake News for five years."

If he does this, this will be Giulani's Last Stand, having already uses Shield Wall and Spell Reflection.
    1) Because Powell will instantly turn on him if he tries that. She doesn't have $650 million, either.
    2) Giuliani would be forced, in court, in person, to say "I saw the unsigned, unnamed, document from another country and assumed it was true with no attempt to verify it, and therefore made public declarations that Dominion was stealing a national election based on what basically amounts to Some Guy On Twitter."
    3) Or, he could say "I trusted the source without knowing its source" and that's instant disbarrment for filing massive election-ending lawsuits based on something you didn't read and don't know that it is.
    4) But regardless of which of those two versions he tries, he'll be forced to say under oath "Yes I said those things and I said so with the believe they were true" and hope that the judge/jury somehow believes "well that's something that Trump entrusted with this most valuable task would do, that seems completely reasonable".

Let me make this clear: I have enough proof Giuliani fucked his own niece, as Giuliani does that Dominion committed massive election-stealing fraud. If I were to go on live TV and say "I have proof Giuliani fucked his own niece, and also I'm filing sixty civil/criminal court cases for his incest which I can prove" then I can and should be sued and/or jailed. Because I have nothing to base such a public statement or sixty lawsuits on except deranged conspiracy theorists on Reddit /r/melty_man to work with.

And.

Even if @cubby or @Edge- or @Benggaul or someone PMed me saying "I have proof Giuliani fucked his own niece, you should say so in public and sue" it's still my dubmass fault if I do that.

Giuliani is kitchen sinking this. "I didn't say it, and even if I did you're not allowed to complain, and even if you are you can't ask for that much money, and even if you can IT WAS HER FAULT ALL HER FAULT BLAME HER NOT ME!"

https://nypost.com/2021/04/07/white-...g-migrant-boy/

Suddenly Republicans seem to...pretend to care about migrant children? Man, who knew all you had to do to get them to pretend to care was have a Democrat in the White House.

I don't think anyone actually believes they really care, especially since most were cheering on the Trump administration literally kidnapping children and losing track of their parents. But hey, at least the performative political art is mildly entertaining.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/07/white-...g-migrant-boy/

Suddenly Republicans seem to...pretend to care about migrant children? Man, who knew all you had to do to get them to pretend to care was have a Democrat in the White House.

I don't think anyone actually believes they really care, especially since most were cheering on the Trump administration literally kidnapping children and losing track of their parents. But hey, at least the performative political art is mildly entertaining.
    Next Melani or however her name is spelled [I don't care. Do you?] Will have a jacket with "I care, do you?" on it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Next Melani or however her name is spelled [I don't care. Do you?] Will have a jacket with "I care, do you?" on it!
    She is not going to be in the public eye, until Trump bites it... she did not seem to like it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/s...68897183051776

Y'all...I regret to share with you...the "comedy" stylings of Greg Gutfeld. It's not funny. Conservative humor so rarely is.

Y'all...I regret to share with you...the "comedy" stylings of Greg Gutfeld. It's not funny. Conservative humor so rarely is.
    Didn't he also have that shitty show that was on really late on Fox News, that was just fucking horrible as well? Yeah, it was that shitty "Red Eye" show, that showed late night that was never funny, and full of bullshit racism.

"The right is getting better at comedy, and the left is scared."

...or something.

I have no idea what that Brian Williams bit is even supposed to mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched the entire clip and I still don't know what that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I watched the entire clip and I still don't know what that is.
    It was an awful lot of cringe, it was.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It was an awful lot of cringe, it was.
    Isn't that Gutfield's entire career?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Isn't that Gutfield's entire career?
    He had a brief moment or two of comedy when he worked for Maxim in the early 2000s, but I could be barking up the wrong person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    And McConnell is cleaning up his language.
    He's trying to clean it up further still.

Businesses must not use economic blackmail to spread disinformation and push bad ideas that citizens reject at the ballot box
    Hmm. Has McConnell ever pushed someth--

The Senate voted on a tax bill pretty much nobody had read

Oh, right. The health care bill. Yeah, he totally did that. Difference is, it's not the MLB's job to read bills before making judgement. McConnell's, however, is.

- - - Updated - - -

We filed this bankruptcy to look for a fair legal playing field where NRA could prosper and grow in a fair legal environment, as opposed to what we believed had become a toxic, politicized, weaponized government in New York state.
    -- LaPierre, under oath.

I'm pretty sure "we want to move" is not the same as "we owe more than we can pay". That doesn't sound like bankruptcy to me.

Oh, and LaPierre says he filed without telling anyone else. That's...ballsy. Investigators are going to get any records that exist.

God I hope there's a segment on this on the next Last Week Tonight
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    God I hope there's a segment on this on the next Last Week Tonight
    30 mins of trying to explain to conservatives that being angry and punching down isn't funny.
    Especially the last part, conservatives and some "comedians" are often shocked that people don't laugh when your punching down.

10+ Year Old Account

Being this cringeworthy and unfunny should be criminal