10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They actually do a pretty good job of protecting you from viruses and the like. Especially if you have n95 going on(I use N95 filters inserted in a cotton mask). And since you can sterilize and reuse the filters a decent bit... yeah, I’ll keep using them.
    Up to you.

Just a tip though, we're advised against using N95 with filters and you can't go into clinic/hospital wearing that, because it's one way protection for you, but not for the others. Every time I went to local clinic and hospital here, I had a guard demanding to take that shit off and put surgical mask instead they offer.

Masks here are mandated to prevent people spreading it to others.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...avirus-vpx.cnn

Thousands, thousands of maskless idiots packing together to get drunk off shitty overpriced beer and eat some shitty overpriced hot dogs (I love them, though) at a ball game while we're still in the middle of a pandemic here.

And now Oxford University pauses the AstraZeneca vaccine in a study for young people:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-h...-idUSKBN2BT2F5

(Good call, I'm not convinced that the vaccine does more good than harm in that age group.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am all mask all the time once this is over... a year of listening to people talk about flying spittle... I’ve seen where people have been... pass on the spittle...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Masks will no longer be required outdoors starting April 18 in Israel.
    They should never have been required outdoors to begin with. Such an idiotic nonsense (mass gathering events excluded ofc but these are prohibited now anyway). Won't see a dent in the numbers either way.
    Call me when you drop the mandate indoors, that's when it gets interesting.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2021-04-07 at 02:45 PM.

Lucky you guys. Netherlands is opening stuff too.. which is stupid as hell seeing how badly they're doing atm. its a clusterfuck. 1 million vaccines sitting on a shelf. locations not or rarely working. And all because we want to do it by the book. The Polder-model is shit. has been shit for centuries and now it shows.

(Yes, im frustrated and angry. A country like the Netherlands should do better, I expect better!)

Well, AZ after all has that sideeffect, then. This will definitely hurt vaccination efforts, a lot. Most of EU and some other countries do have a bit of vindication, though, especially now since the UK will not give it to younger than 30. The risk still is veeeeeeery small, 4 per million in UK? But, alas, human mind is stupid, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Shower thought: With basically the entire planet getting vaccinated, will this be the final nail in the coffin of anti-vaxxer propaganda? Or will we see an entire generation of autists be born? Stay tuned...
    But it won't be, far from it. That is the realistic outlook.

Well when you have majority of adult pop at least where I live vaccinated - it's really no more concern.

We had fully unrestricted passover holidays a week ago and seems like it went without a hitch, there is a bump in R number of like 0.1, but seems like that's about it.

I think we're going to start vaccinating 12-16 yo, waiting for that one to be approved, but overall it seems like what we have as is - already does the job.
    It takes at least 3-4 weeks to see the result of any event so you might be popping the champagne a bit too soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It takes at least 3-4 weeks to see the result of any event so you might be popping the champagne a bit too soon.
    Nyah, it's fine, soon 2 weeks and not a zilch. It's really not surprising you have half a country vaccinated.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-04-07 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nyah, it's fine, soon 2 weeks and not a zilch. It's really not surprising you have half a country vaccinated.
    Which basically means that vaccination is working as advertised.
    Good.

Now we just need to get enough juice into enough people.

Again according to everything we have learned from this virus 2 weeks is not enough time and half the country is not high enough for herd immunity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Again according to everything we have learned from this virus 2 weeks is not enough time and half the country is not high enough for herd immunity.
    Herd immunity is a pipe dream at this point, unfortunately.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And still most developed countries seek it before Q3. We will see if it has succeeded next winter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And still most developed countries seek it before Q3. We will see if it has succeeded next winter.
    Herd Immunity works just fine. After 50+% of population fully vaccinated, we're pretty dropped all effective restrictions for several weeks now. We had holidays two weeks ago and country-wide elections two and a half weeks ago and our R number is steady, it is undeniable that mass vaccination works.

I think almost all of it is done with Phizer. Right now as next step vaccination of 12-16 yo should begin, waiting for approval from trials. Then of course you have people who simply don't want to take a jab, but they do not matter anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, the end is in sight - the moment you have a critical mass vaccinated, that will be the end of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Almost unreal to read something positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Looks like that country will forever be just shy of herd immunity too, so close yet out of reach. They've stopped shipping and won't be shipping anymore there due to them skipping out on paying for the vaccine. So dumb of them. But hey, maybe they can get herd immunity the good old fashion way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, the end is in sight - the moment you have a critical mass vaccinated, that will be the end of it.
    Except it almost certainly won't get to that point.

You have to understand, the herd immunity threshold is likely above 80% now, especially considering the higher transmissibility of the new variants. Combine that with vaccine effectiveness less than 100%, vaccination participation emphatically less than 100%, and the fact that about 20% of the population is under the age of 15 (who may or may not even get the vaccine), and the fact that the protection is almost certainly not permanent, it's becoming increasingly unlikely that we'll actually reach and maintain herd immunity.

None of that is to say that things won't be drastically better. We should absolutely get close enough to prevent these wide-scale outbreaks, but I seriously doubt that there "will be the end of it".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Well, it's not an all-or-nothing proposition. Of course we should continue to seek herd immunity. The higher we push the vaccination number, the better. I'm hardly suggesting otherwise.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    950 dead today in Poland. We have a strong chance to be number 1 unless USA/Brasil tries something funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    950 dead today in Poland. We have a strong chance to be number 1 unless USA/Brasil tries something funny.
    4097 dead so far in total here. (on a 2 milion population)
    But yeah 5 died today.

Hospitals are pretty much full.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    I mean, call it what you like. I'm basically speaking from experience of living here - reality is the moment you have a critical mass going, that's it.

Would it be better at 80% population vaccinated instead of 55%? Sure, but already at 55% it seems to be taking hold well enough for restrictions to be dropped and public events held without major spike.

I don't think there will be any country in the world that will have 80%+ of populace vaccinated, but it's not really needed to be THAT high for sanity to return. I imagine we will get to 65%, but I don't expect any more than that - at that point you'd need people to be forced to get more.

Besides, frankly - I and all those I care about are covered anyway. I can't help those 1 million crazies that we have that are eligible, but simply do not do it - it's on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Mostly, again, the point is - vaccination is super important and it is very effective. So help yourselves and others, if you can.