Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Why are people so obsessed with high ilevels??

I do not understand why so many people want higher ilevels just for the sake of it.

If you are not doing Mythic raiding or at the high end of PvP ladders you literally have zero business having access or even having reasoning to have higher i level gear upwards of 220+. If you are not doing these activities why do you want it? Why do you need it? Hello? Higher ilevel is a means to an end, why has this been forgotten for expansions on end?

I can't get my head round this mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    I do not understand why so many people want higher ilevels just for the sake of it.

If you are not doing Mythic raiding or at the high end of PvP ladders you literally have zero business having access or even having reasoning to have higher i level gear upwards of 220+. If you are not doing these activities why do you want it? Why do you need it? Hello? Higher ilevel is a means to an end, why has this been forgotten for expansions on end?

Because it’s the whole progression of the game; and things getting easier, regardless of what it is, due to your works feels good for people.

As for the item levels themselves, it wouldn’t be as a big a deal if the scaling wasn’t so whack. A 25% dps increase is way too huge for 200 vs 215.

Do you legit not understand it... in an RPG, or are you just using that as a rhetorical? People want higher ilvl to be stronger. Simple as. It doesn't matter what content you're doing, having higher stats/ilvl makes it easier/quicker.

Whether or not you agree with that, is something else entirely. This has been discussed to death. The majority of comments will likely be- it doesn't matter to you. But perhaps you can bring something new to the conversation.

Higher ilevel is a means to an end, why has this been forgotten for expansions on end?

For some people it isn't. Some enjoy gearing as an end, gives them a concrete number to look at and feel progress. In that case, it is irrelevant by what means or how hard is it to increase the number. And that's ok, people can enjoy the same video game in different ways. Hope this helps you "understand" why so many people want higher ilevels just for the sake of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it is the only progression there is.
    Because it is the only way to ensure you get invited to any activity which involves other players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

For me at least, I don't get to experience all the mechanics in my content until m+10. So I need enough ilvl to make clearing a +10 viable, so I can have fun doing all the mechanics. From there, ilvl helps me do it more smoothly. Then I can do +15s for the achievement. Then once I get KSM, I no longer care about ilvl

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, Blizz should reward the folks not doing the higher end content with better gear. Allow them to enjoy the game fully, instead of punishing them because they either don't have the time to commit to any sort of schedule, or no longer/never had the skill to achieve difficult content. The more casual players subscription is what pays the bills at Blizz, not the high M+/mythic raiders who sell boosts for gold to buy tokens.

Or at the least, make pvp random/world content ilvl restricted to avoid the massive disparity.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    Because it is the only progression there is.
    Because it is the only way to ensure you get invited to any activity which involves other players.
    Not really. You can progress in a raid. You can find players that take your for your performance or personality. Gear is the means to an end, not the end itself.

Stood in the Fire ArkantosChampion's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    With high ilevels your character got max power
    I'm a normal text, I'm a bold text.

Actual progress is killing stronger bosses, defeat harder raids/dungeons. Gear is just a tool for that.

I almost never can say "look at that dude, he is 220 ilvl, he is stronger", because ilvl is pretty small part of actual character power. But I definitely can say "look at that dude, he did KSM in 200 ilvl, he is really strong".

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, iLevels. Something I have never given a damn about.

It all began back in WotLK with Gearscore. Don't have minimum 1.8k GS? Forget about being invited to raid. Don't have 2k GS? Forget about Ulduar, TOGC and ICC ^_^

Even back then, I never understood what's now an obsession with people only wanting to clear a raid with a weekly lockout--hell, even dungeons--as quickly as possible. Makes no sense. When you rush, you're far more likely to make mistakes. Blizzard keeps adding ridiculous mechanics to encounters every expansion because of Raiders who play like that as a check.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

It's a measurement of your character's power progression.

I think ten years ago Ghostcrawler was asked about the essence of the game.
    He said something like "Wow is a game about upgrading your gear".
    Most people like upgrading their gear because that's what wow is. A game about upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    It's a measurement of your character's power progression.
    Progression is normal -> heroic -> mythic. Or +5 -> +10 -> +15. Regardless of ilvl. If dude can beat 15 in 200 ilvl, and you cant do it in 215 livl - than you're less powerful, even if your ilvl is better.

Because higher ilvl = better player.

Statistically, and that's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by iinverse View Post
    Progression is normal -> heroic -> mythic. Or +5 -> +10 -> +15. Regardless of ilvl. If dude can beat 15 in 200 ilvl, and you cant do it in 215 livl - than you're less powerful, even if your ilvl is better.
    No one sees a rando, looks up his achieves, sees he has ksm, then looks online at the ilvl he did it at. Ppl see dude has 226 ilvl, and then automatically know he does content that drops 226, and knows he's more powerful

10+ Year Old Account
    Think of it this way, at lower ilv, the player has to perform at 100% for difficult content. But as you increase ilv, the player performance can slip lower because the gear covers up mistakes and/or lower performance.

This is one of the reasons why "Determination" buff exists in LFR. As you wipe on bosses (in LFR) you gain stacks of Determination that increase health, damage dealt, and healing received is increased by 5% per stack. Effectively give you a higher ilv (temporarily) to cover the shortfalls in player performance.

So this then factors into group finder where group leaders are trying to stack their odds of success by making ilv a criteria because that is easily seen in that interface whereas player skill is much harder to see. Sure r.io score can help offset the difference: i.e. A 1800+ r.io score at only ilv 210 with over 30+ 15+ done in time is probably a better pick than a sub 1000 r.io score but at ilv 225 with less than 5 15+ done in time.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    No one sees a rando, looks up his achieves, sees he has ksm, then looks online at the ilvl he did it at. Ppl see dude has 226 ilvl, and then automatically know he does content that drops 226, and knows he's more powerful
    Most players doesn't care about ilvl, just about rio (key progression) or bosses killed/curve (raid progression).
    9/10 leaders will get player with better rio than with higher ilvl.

Because I like bigger numbers? Killing things quicker in PvE and PvP?

How is this not obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by iinverse View Post
    I don't know if you are being purposefully obtuse or not, but he said "power progression".

Character power and player skill level are not the same thing.

Everyone is always after more power.

It’s fun to be powerful.

And also.. have you watched like no movie ever?

People always want more power just ”Because”

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz