Quote Originally Posted by Jetpistol View Post
    I hope to see the winner soon
    Seems like we'll need to wait several more months to find out if the SC project as a whole is losing interest or not. Despite the rise in backer disillusionment, the project seems to continue to receive money. There was a spike in 2020 due to the pandemic, so it's difficult to tell whether or not the dip in revenue recently is because people are going outside again, or because of legit disillusionment with the project. We'll probably have to wait at least another year to find out. Source.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    snip
    I already mentioned they had a plan to release 1 single episode, 2015 they were still working on planet tech at that point so once that was implemented SQ42 would have to be redesigned or the game would be missing a huge part of gameplay if it didnt include planets, its a CR game so its up to him what he wants to do with it regardless of what you think.

You can plan to release something but its still not an official release date until otherwise stated.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    You can plan to release something but its still not an official release date until otherwise stated.
    "Chris Roberts, the game director and head of the company, saying that SQ42 episode 1 is coming out in 2015... is not an official release date"

I already mentioned they had a plan to release 1 single episode, 2015 they were still working on planet tech at that point so once that was implemented SQ42 would have to be redesigned or the game would be missing a huge part of gameplay if it didnt include planets, its a CR game so its up to him what he wants to do with it regardless of what you think.

And then the full game in 2016, per their own roadmap at BAFTA.

Why would they give this at the end of 2014 if they knew they still had planetary tech to finish and had no timeframe?

Why is there no mention of extensive redesigns?

If you announce a planned window, that's official. The company is saying it. This is pure fantasy dude, wrong genre.

Dude this is like jamming your fingers in your ears and screaming 'NUH UH!'. CR is on record putting out dates, that is a fact. It is also a known practice if you attach a year onto a project that is a planned release date. It is very common in gaming releases specifically. You can hate the practice, disagree with it, but SC had a 2016 tag among other years at various points. That is a release date. They missed it. Period. Your feels on the matter don't mean much here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    "Chris Roberts, the game director and head of the company, saying that SQ42 episode 1 is coming out in 2015... is not an official release date"
    As always it blows my mind how someone can defend something so hard despite clear evidence pointing the complete opposite of the picture they are painting.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think the game was going to be made in 5-6 years with such a small team then you had very unrealistic expectations, they never once said it was going to be released in 2016, a year at the end of a video is not proof of it being released, even if it was they can do whatever they want to make the game, you backed the game knowing chris's reputation and in 2015 you would of known the whole scope of the game by then so its your fault for not understanding what game they are building.

By the end of the stretch goals the time to develop the game was going to be at least 10 years for everything to be completed.
    The original pitch of the game (even with most of the stretch goals) should've been possible to release by 2016. But a feature creep is a feature creep, and it's not the same game anymore. So it's "understandable" it's taking them forever to not get anything done, when they are not doing the same game anymore, but some stupid overstuffed version of it with redundant extra stuff, like ground vehicles.

Squadron 42 is a single player campaign that takes place within the Star Citizen universe. It can be played off-line.[2] Squadron 42 will be released in 3 episodes or stand alone games[6], the first of which will become available in the near future. The first episode will have 70 missions which will total up to 20 hours of gameplay.

First episode was a complete game, enough with your lies. Episodes thing came later, we purchased sq42, not sq42 episode 1. If that's the thing, i expect CIG to give us all episodes for free in future.

I can see you trying to reflect it as just a small portion of game. It's not.

Source
    https://starcitizen.fandom.com/wiki/Squadron_42
    Last edited by Littlechamp; 2021-04-08 at 06:30 AM.

What's the point of the bolded part?
    No one said he couldn't, legaly speaking or whatever. That's absolutely not the point. The point is that he *is* doing what he wants and gives everyone the double-birds, has nothing to show, doesn't know what he is doing, hasn't made any significant progress for 6 years now etc. etc.
    No one is arguing about "legal" measures or whatever. No one is going to bother doing that for a 40€/$ pledge anyway.

Why do you sound like a broken record? You make absolutely no sense and you just sound like you make an argument, but in fact, you do not.

The reason why people point this out, is that a release was planned, but the whole thing that was planned was a disaster and not even close to being realized - in fact, he kept making it sound like everything was fine and about to release next year when we can clearly see, 6 years later, that this wasn't the case. So he was *obviously* lying and talking out of his *ass* - advertising for a soon to be released game to get even more backers/money into their pockets. Purposely leading potentially interested people/players to invest with "pre-order bonuses" and all that kind of shit.
    We *all* know what it means when a game gets delayed and delayed and delayed over and over and over again. It's not getting delayed just because of "feature creep". If features were the problem, you wouldn't have had radio silence about the whole SQ42 thing for several years and more importantly, he wouldn't have canceled future "conference rooms" (or however he called the dev-updates) about this thing.
    If this game had even a slight chance of releasing in 2016 back in 2015, we would've seen *much* more by now. We would've seen missions, gameplay, hell...even a beta at this point.

Instead, he is now literally saying (I'm quoting here) that "we should view SQ42 as a wrapped up christmas present lying below the tree - you don't know what's in it, other than it's going to be awesome". Seriously.... what-the-fuck...
    That has to be the most shady sentence I've read in a long, long time when it comes to game development.

This thing (the very game itself) was created on *trust*, and he is constantly faking numbers, assuming and planing release dates that are obviously fake too and so on and so forth. That's valid criticism and his actions are very questionable
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-08 at 09:06 AM.

Kenn's bad faith arguments and the responses to them are always fun to read.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Kenn's bad faith arguments and the responses to them are always fun to read.
    Reminds me of slipmat for Rift and ministabber for Wildstar before her meltdown near the end when they tried to go more casual friendly and started wishing the game crash and fail.

I'm at a loss here. All of your arguments are probably bullshit.

Black desert online was developed by 80 engineers in 4 years, so there goes your 2000+ people argument.

Anyway, I hope you are told you will be promoted in 2021 and then when you don't receive it, get told that they never gave you a date, so teehee, doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I'm at a loss here. All of your arguments are probably bullshit.

Black desert online was developed by 80 engineers in 4 years, so there goes your 2000+ people argument.

Anyway, I hope you are told you will be promoted in 2021 and then when you don't receive it, get told that they never gave you a date, so teehee, doesn't count.
    To be fair his pay must be fairly shit so he's putting in lot of overtime hours here just to stay afloat
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The only date that matters is for the full release of a game, any dates given during development are not official release dates until a full date has been set and everyone has clearly been told the game will release on x date, until you see a day/month/year date saying the game will release then any dates even mentioned are just placeholders.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And then the full game in 2016, per their own roadmap at BAFTA.

Why would they give this at the end of 2014 if they knew they still had planetary tech to finish and had no timeframe?

Why is there no mention of extensive redesigns?

If you announce a planned window, that's official. The company is saying it. This is pure fantasy dude, wrong genre.
    No date is official until its an actual full date saying day/month/year, anything else is always just subject to change as required.

Its a CR game he stated it outright on many occasions that he will not release something he is not happy with, and his rep was well known for wanting to try and add in as much as possible, so if you backed the game then you accepted any and all risks to go along with it.

SQ42 was going to be space only to begin with same as the PU but they added in planet tech, and without planet tech the game wouldnt be as nearly as good as it currently is, planet tech is 100% required for this game so its pretty obvious the campaign would have to be reworked to include it along with everything required for the ground gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    snip
    Its a CR game and it has been stated on many occasions he wont release something unless he is happy with it, the first version of SQ42 could of been completed but may of not been what he wanted, its much better to rework a game rather than just release it and hope for the best.

What BS are you talking about nothing to show, there is a full alpha which is in its own right a game on its own even in its incomplete state, i think its every 2 weeks we get SQ42 updates on what they have been working on so the community is constantly updated.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-04-08 at 05:05 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Reminds me of slipmat for Rift and ministabber for Wildstar before her meltdown near the end when they tried to go more casual friendly and started wishing the game crash and fail.
    Slipmat is who I was thinking of as well except there are at least two of them in this thread (used to be more) and they are far worse than slipmat was.

The only date that matters is for the full release of a game
    To you, maybe.

any dates given during development are not official release dates
    Even from the literal creator of the company? I mean, this is just a baldface lie.

until a full date has been set and everyone has clearly been told the game will release on x date
    So...why have a roadmap with any target delivery dates, then?

until you see a day/month/year date saying the game will release then any dates even mentioned are just placeholders.
    Again, this is a straight up lie and not how anything works in the gaming industry.

At this point I've shipped at least 100+ games including plenty of notable titles that y'all have likely played (I don't talk about my work here because I keep that separate). This is from the marketing side of things, so like, specifically dealing with dates. A lot of dates.

Release years are official dates.
    Release windows are official dates.
    Those less-specific dates are used to give people an idea of when the product is coming, and often are used to show how imminent a product may be to drive pre-purchase/pre-orders.

Placeholders are what online retailers put for the "available on" date for games you pre-order. Those aren't official dates because they come from the retailers, not the developer/publisher.

This is a massive failure of understanding of game development and marketing. We know development is hard and complex, but that's also why developers working on more ambitious games where they're less confident in delivery dates keep their mouths shut (or are advised to keep their bloody mouths shut) as it's better to hold a date/window than announce it too early and need to push it back by months...much less a half a decade.

The only date that matters is for the full release of a game
    No date is official until its an actual full date saying day/month/year
    Cool we get it. That is like, your opinion man. Nothing you said there is factual or how it works in the reality of the gaming industry. Attach a year to a trailer and it is expected that is when the game is to come out, if it fails to materialize you get roasted for it. SC is one of the incredible jokes of the gaming industry but also a marvel because it continues to suck in money from people hoping that one day the game will release with what they've been promising for years now.

Even if they did give a day/month/year he would argue it is not an actual date because hours/minutes/seconds are missing or something equally stupid.

I like how he presumes to speak for CIG as well. When Chris said 2016 he didn't really mean 2016, just that it might be 2016 or it might be 2017 or even 2020 or maybe 2030.

Fucking absurd.
    Last edited by 1001; 2021-04-08 at 05:32 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only person who wonders when the giant expose piece will be published showing that "Star Citizen" was actually just a front to generate money for some freaky religious cult or some military group in Africa?

These hundreds of millions are going somewhere - and at this point I find it hard to believe its going to making an actual game due to the lack of progress over all these years. Seriously - we're either going to find out it was 5 people pocketing the money and doing just enough work to keep people paying; or its a front for something far more nefarious.

I place my bet now. Just have to wait and see. But the saga of this 'kickstarter' is nuts.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    These hundreds of millions are going somewhere
    Chris' mansion and yacht, and keeping his friends who signed onto the project employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Am I the only person who wonders when the giant expose piece will be published showing that "Star Citizen" was actually just a front to generate money for some freaky religious cult or some military group in Africa?

These hundreds of millions are going somewhere - and at this point I find it hard to believe its going to making an actual game due to the lack of progress over all these years. Seriously - we're either going to find out it was 5 people pocketing the money and doing just enough work to keep people paying; or its a front for something far more nefarious.

I place my bet now. Just have to wait and see. But the saga of this 'kickstarter' is nuts.
    It's going towards development, it's just insanely expensive when you're making such an ambitious, expansive game and trying to reinvent every wheel ever invented. There are plenty of questions about if the money is being used effectively, but there's little question it's going towards development.