Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Pretty much every industry is doing that now. The woke crowd has taken over and are now the very things they accused us of being for years, gatekeepers. Look at games journalism. They constantly shit on gamers and deride people who don't praise the things they love. Film critics are doing the same crap. It's hilarious how all these woke products have the same themes and then they wonder why the people generally pan them. Especially in comic books and films of shows based off comic book characters, your biggest audience is men, but when even women hate the crap you are pushing then it's time for some introspection. Unfortunately woke people are too lacking in self awareness to actually fix what is wrong with their products and instead just blame men for their failures, even though women dislike it too.
    So why do you hate women and minorities?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    There's more to comics than bland superhero shit. Consider the Walking Dead..
    Read the first omnibus that was given to me. I was less impressed and more bored. ("Dude, I hope you didn't pay for this")
    I was more intrigued by Dark Horse "Elementals"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Of course after they gave Shooter the axe, death became "reversible." And big world shattering events would eventually be a thing every damn day spanning multiple covers of every comic book.
    You're not a real superhero unless you've conquered Death a few times. Super villains get to come back to life! Heroes should do the same.

The Shooter era is not really different from the 60s or the modern era. You'll make a lot of comics. Most aren't good. A few are really fucking good. End of story.

The really good ones have excellent writing. Sometimes they'll also have great art although I'll take average art if the writing is great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    Acceptance of the different is inbreed in the very genesis of Marvel Comics.

Obviously Marvel wansn't created in a vacuum so the editorial wanted to reproduce the elements that were sucessful in the mogul at the time: DC Comics.

We can see how Marvel mimics the characteristics of DC supergroup in the female token. The supergroup is all men but one single female: Wasp in the Avengers, Jean Grey in the X-Men and Invisible Girl in the FF.

But since Lee/Kirby refused to do perfect copy of DC they introduced an element of their own: The Monster.

So we can see that every supergroup includes a character that has nothing to do with the ideal stylized aesthetic of the hero back then: Hulk in the Avengers, the Thing in FF and The Beast in X-Men.

These are characters that , until then , presented an image that were reserved to villains and Lee talked many many times about how the editorial was utterly horrorized by these concepts: How the fuck a big blob of rock and mud is gonna be a hero? It's gonna scare the kids!!!.

The idea behind them were precisely that: it does not matter at all what you look...the only thing that matters it's what's in your heart so despite their rough exterior these characters are ( in diverse grades) depicted as tender and affective. I mean: Benjamin Grimm is a cutie pie inside....it's not depicted with the arrogance of Tony Stark or Stephen Strange as random examples.

Even Spiderman was originally rejected because Spiders are scary. Ditko was asked when presenting the concept: is it gonna have 6 arms? No,no, we can't have that..we sell comics for kids. Even Spiderman fits into the monster category.

The transversal idea behind the full silver age of Marvel is that:don't reject people because they are different or look different and I am utterly fascinated by people that has been reading Marvel for decades...and has understood nothing......
    I wonder if it was perhaps too subtle for them.

It’s the same people that complain about media “becoming too political “ but like shows like the original twilight zone. There’s literally an episode of the twilight zone where the moral of the story is “being scared of others and distrusting others because they’re different is something that can easily be exploited by insidious minds to cause people to destroy each other.” There’s another one where the literal ghost of hitler teaches an angry young man who feels marginalized how to create a group of neo-nazis by appealing to people’s racism and xenophobia.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Read the first omnibus that was given to me. I was less impressed and more bored. ("Dude, I hope you didn't pay for this")
    I was more intrigued by Dark Horse "Elementals"
    A lot of people fucking love it. Loved it so much that it re-invigorated horror comics and turned Image into a writer-driven publisher.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I wonder if it was perhaps too subtle for them.

It’s the same people that complain about media “becoming too political “ but like shows like the original twilight zone. There’s literally an episode of the twilight zone where the moral of the story is “being scared of others and distrusting others because they’re different is something that can easily be exploited by to cause people to destroy each other.” There’s another one where the literal ghost of hitler teaches an angry young man who feels marginalized how to create a group of neo-nazis by appealing to people’s racism and xenophobia.
    I can't really figure out the hoopla.

The page is very, very clear:
    Cops good.
    Military good.
    Red Skull bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The North America manga market is rather laughably small they aren’t taking over they are barely even competing.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/u...pd-group-says/

For reference the top 5 comic books alone In Jan 2019 out sold the whole manga market.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-01.html
    To make the point, since I went looking for data myself and just stopped because the comparisons were ridiculous;

That's the "top 5 single issues", not monthly runs over the course of the year.

Outselling the entire manga market, every property, and all their weekly issues.

Yes, manga outsells North American comics globally, but that market's almost entirely in Japan, and the difference isn't quality of work, it's pretty much entirely cultural. Kind of like trying to argue that American gun manufacturers are "better" than Japanese ones, because of differing sales numbers in each country.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The comic came out in 2018 and was 9th best selling for that month.
    What comic came out in 2018, Ta-Nehisi Coates’s new comic? the one that JUST came out few days ago? Captain America Volume 9 #28'

Try that again?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I don't know how some of you get through the day while being this fragile.

"The woke crowd has taken over! I'm a victim!"

This is your brain on Jordan Peterson, apparently. So very sad.
    I’ve always said what a sad, scary world these people choose to live in.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    A lot of people fucking love it. Loved it so much that it re-invigorated horror comics and turned Image into a writer-driven publisher.
    Only in this timeframe.
    Long after the comic industry implosion.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    To make the point, since I went looking for data myself and just stopped because the comparisons were ridiculous;

Outselling the entire manga market, every property, and all their weekly issues.

Yes, manga outsells North American comics globally, but that market's almost entirely in Japan, and the difference isn't quality of work, it's pretty much entirely cultural. Kind of like trying to argue that American gun manufacturers are "better" than Japanese ones, because of differing sales numbers in each country.
    Ya the gap is so astronomically huge that it’s laughable. Manga just isn’t a thing in North American spiderman alone likely out paces the whole of the manga market annually.

10+ Year Old Account

Look at Peterson's work. It's snake-oil pop-psychology self-help stuff, mostly, and it's aimed to appeal to weak men. Hence the whole "forced monogamy" thing, which suggests they all are "owed" a wife somehow, or should be at least, his "12 rules for life" which can pretty much be boiled down to "have some self-esteem" for 2/3 of his rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    What comic came out in 2018, Ta-Nehisi Coates’s new comic? the one that JUST came out few days ago? Captain America Volume 9 #28'

Try that again?
    Yep. Just came out. This is the most Blue Lives Matter thing I've seen in awhile.

7+ Year Old Account

Try that again?
    Ah my mistake I had it mixed up with another issue I’ve also seen linked to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    In Germany we have a saying. 'Struck dogs yelp.'
    Maybe if it was like an indirect reference. Red Skull using life advice to radicalize teenagers or whatever, but adding ten rules for life is a pretty obvi reference to his book 12 rules for life so I can understand why he is mad about being compared to nazis

10+ Year Old Account

Try that again?
    This one:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/collec...rade_paperback

It’s a story line that started in 2018...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Maybe sales is a bad number bc most things are not licensed and most people pirate it tbh

But manga seems a whole lot more popular on social media (in the US and abroad) than comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Maybe if it was like an indirect reference. Red Skull using life advice to radicalize teenagers or whatever, but adding ten rules for life is a pretty obvi reference to his book 12 rules for life so I can understand why he is mad about being compared to nazis
    He doesn’t own 12 rules...

The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
    https://www.alcohol.org/alcoholics-anonymous/

Here is what he has an issue with:

It's the same for all of them. Young men. Weak. Looking for purpose. I found the flag. You found the badge. They found the Skull. He tells them what they've always longed to hear. That they secretly are great. That the whole world is against them. That if they're truly men, they'll fight back. And bingo - that's their purpose. That's what they'll live for. And that's what they'll die for. - Captain America
    - - - Updated - - -

But manga seems a whole lot more popular on social media (in the US and abroad) than comics.
    Yes, memes and trolls...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Maybe sales is a bad number bc most things are not licensed and most people pirate it tbh
    This is true for comics as well. Like, I think it's still going on, but for years you could get full HD scans of comics as they came out....how? Because folks inside Marvel got them for free, and some of them would upload them all. You could even tell they came from inside Marvel due to some of the watermarks.

Manga and comics are equally pirate-able, and if anything comics are easier given that there's no need for fan/official translations.

Depends on your social circles.

7+ Year Old Account

That’s called confirmation bias, you want it to be more popular so you see some social media and say it is when in reality nothings actually backs up that view.

If people wanted to buy manga they would just like how MHA made a huge surge in 2018/19 and piracy hits the comic market as well.

7+ Year Old Account

You can say the same thing about both sides though. How does the other side get through the day when there are so many Nazis and fascists everywhere. It's all just a form of paranoia where people think evil forces on the other side are creeping into society.

First Worlder's don't have any major real world problems so we just complain about comics, Nazis, and woke SJWs all day. lol