Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Any theories on what the new Domination affix will do?

I've been a bit out of the loop with WoW for the past 2 months, so I didn't even know we had any information at all on the new seasonal affix. But as it turns out, the only information we do have is its name: Domination.

So, I'm curious to hear what people think this affix will bring with it.

My personal theory (keeping with the theme of Anduin becoming corrupted in 9.1) is that it would mind control (i.e. "dominate") a random player periodically and the others would have to do something to free them. This could be something as simple as damaging them down to 70%, or something more involved such as rescuing their soul from nearby and bringing it back to the mind-controlled player in order to free them.

Definitely thinking it’s going to be a “loss of control” mechanic. Definitely think there might be “oh noes it picked the healer” moments.

Definitely glad I don’t go deep into M+ to have to deal with it haha!
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Definitely think there might be “oh noes it picked the healer” moments.
    Blizzard just loves to abuse us healers... Meanwhile, tanks will almost definitely be immune to any kind of loss of control mechanics because if the DPS suddenly start taking melee hits from mobs, you're in for a bad time.

it may be some chain stuff, some mobs chain you in place like the tower stuff in the maw and if you dont click it of you get aoe dmgd
    I.O BFA Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    My personal theory (keeping with the theme of Anduin becoming corrupted in 9.1) is that it would mind control (i.e. "dominate") a random player periodically and the others would have to do something to free them. This could be something as simple as damaging them down to 70%, or something more involved such as rescuing their soul from nearby and bringing it back to the mind-controlled player in order to free them.
    Those sound more like weekly affixes, I'd expect them to keep designing seasonal ones to have a big impact on planning routes, like prideful, reaping or the 8.3 one as they were generally better accepted. A random mind control going out doesn't sound that impactful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    Those sound more like weekly affixes, I'd expect them to keep designing seasonal ones to have a big impact on planning routes, like prideful, reaping or the 8.3 one as they were generally better accepted. A random mind control going out doesn't sound that impactful.
    The way I described it, I agree it sounds kind of small in scope compared to usual seasonal affixes. I was just trying to keep with the theme of the patch and the name of the affix, which to me sounds like it could be a loss of control affix.

A random mind control could still be impactful depending on how it needs to be dealt with. Damaging someone down to 70%? Yes, that's a weekly affix. However, if instead, it required the entire group to perform coordinated actions to free the mind-controlled player in a more convoluted manner, I can see it being impactful enough to be considered a seasonal affix.

EDIT: Additionally, there may be a benefit to keeping the player mind-controlled for a certain amount of time. Maybe they inflict AoE damage that can hurt both players and enemies? I would like it if they kept with the risk/reward trend of recent seasonal affixes.
    Last edited by ercarp; 2021-04-08 at 12:11 PM.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    3+ Year Old Account
    Some anti kite/ anti ranged would be great

chain that will drag all players to melee range of the mob (except boss maybe) so kiting would cease to exist and ranged would have to deal with anti melee affixes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    ranged would have to deal with anti melee affixes.
    That would be the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Blizzard just loves to abuse us healers... Meanwhile, tanks will almost definitely be immune to any kind of loss of control mechanics because if the DPS suddenly start taking melee hits from mobs, you're in for a bad time.
    Considering we tanks have todo literally everything, i'm sure the healers can manage.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think I know what it's going to do. It's going to chain us then turn us into mindless creatures for a while unless someone would free us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I think I know what it's going to do. It's going to chain us then turn us into mindless creatures for a while unless someone would free us.
    Yes, I too read the wowhead Raider.IO April Fool's joke. Haha!
    Last edited by Relapses; 2021-04-08 at 11:50 PM.

Would be nice if it was something that makes the DPS life harder for a change...
    It is always fucking up the healers. A side effect is always: "Team takes more damage"

Something they have to do. A formation. Bursting something down or on of us gets mindcontrolled. And you would have to kill them to get him back.

Like... punishing time wise but not more damage. For ONCE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Considering we tanks have todo literally everything, i'm sure the healers can manage.
    Yeah sure. You have to know the route and position correctly. Which is static and WA tell you how long to the next big red blob mob.
    More than DPS but definetly not more than healers. Every fuck up of anyone just trickles down to the healers.

It's pretty clear that domination is set up to some kind of mind control type of effect.
    I'd like something like this: at certain points in the dungeon there are runes blocking the way (like unpassable terrain).
    To remove the rune someone needs to step in it BUT it mind controls that player, gives it x% bonus stats/damage (and maybe even some unique aura or something based on class) and now you have to DPS him down to 20% health to remove this. Healing would also damage the player.
    Rune placements could rotate weekly.

Just please not make it a "it happens at every X%" affix. Shadowland dungeons are way too linear for this type of affix and prideful was more than enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Would be nice if it was something that makes the DPS life harder for a change...
    It is always fucking up the healers. A side effect is always: "Team takes more damage"

Something they have to do. A formation. Bursting something down or on of us gets mindcontrolled. And you would have to kill them to get him back.

Like... punishing time wise but not more damage. For ONCE.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah sure. You have to know the route and position correctly. Which is static and WA tell you how long to the next big red blob mob.
    More than DPS but definetly not more than healers. Every fuck up of anyone just trickles down to the healers.
    This is not some e-peen competition of who has it worse.
    Given a group of equal skill level the tank carries the run. Case and point.

And no, only small mistakes trickle down on healers, like standing in the fire or so.
    Big mistakes like body pulling heavily trickle down on the tank. Not only do they have to hold the extra mobs, kiting like crazy, but then they have to re-calculate the route on the fly.
    You have not tanked a dungeon in your life I can tell.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever it is I guess it's going to be some sort of kiss/curse, like a player getting mc'd at a certain percent and if you defeat them you can mc a mob for the rest of the dungeon.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I reckon it would be something like adding a Dominator mob here and there - when you attack it, it MC's a player and dies. the MC'd player then fixates a target (doesn't use any abilities) and just walks towards them. If they melee them or get within a certain range then that player becomes MC'd. now you can break the MC by dps'ing the target however while it walks around it drops orbs which increase dps/healing. so you either have to choose whether to burst the MC down quickly and not get many orbs or let it fixate for a bit so a few orbs spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    Some anti kite/ anti ranged would be great

chain that will drag all players to melee range of the mob (except boss maybe) so kiting would cease to exist and ranged would have to deal with anti melee affixes.
    lol ok.... love the "kiting only affects melee" bias there.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    It's pretty clear that domination is set up to some kind of mind control type of effect.
    I'd like something like this: at certain points in the dungeon there are runes blocking the way (like unpassable terrain).
    To remove the rune someone needs to step in it BUT it mind controls that player, gives it x% bonus stats/damage (and maybe even some unique aura or something based on class) and now you have to DPS him down to 20% health to remove this. Healing would also damage the player.
    Rune placements could rotate weekly.

Just please not make it a "it happens at every X%" affix. Shadowland dungeons are way too linear for this type of affix and prideful was more than enough.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not some e-peen competition of who has it worse.
    Given a group of equal skill level the tank carries the run. Case and point.

And no, only small mistakes trickle down on healers, like standing in the fire or so.
    Big mistakes like body pulling heavily trickle down on the tank. Not only do they have to hold the extra mobs, kiting like crazy, but then they have to re-calculate the route on the fly.
    You have not tanked a dungeon in your life I can tell.
    You apparantly never healed one. But hey: Not a e-peen competition hm?

I actually play all roles.

Last time I checked there ain't shit I can do as a healer to carry a dungeon.

As a healer, I have no doubt that tank job is more dememding in M+ specially since Prideful/Reaping/N'zoth affixes. Route % can kill a key faster than lack of control/dispel.

I have some concern with the end of pridefull affixe and the mana portion of the buff getting away in season 2. Currently, my mana regen is carried by the buff and I could only play without out by taking 5 seconds break every two packs. I say that as a priest (disc more than holy) but I hear it's the same for Mistweaver.

Either Blizzard look into mana consumtion in M+ environnement or next meta will be even more dominated by Pal/Sham.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done both. Healing is way more chill. Someone died? Just blame them for standing in stuff/overaggroing/not using their defensives. Wipe? Blame tank for pulling too big when you don't have cooldowns/Tell people to use defensives. Yes you have to deal with a couple affixes, but not nearly as many as the tank

Going through this list: https://www.wowhead.com/affixes
    Explosive: tank/dps.
    Raging: Tank/dps for CC.
    Spiteful: Dps for CC
    Grievous: Healer
    Prideful: Changes how you pull the entire dungeon as the tank, tiny amount of CD management as healer
    Quaking: Everyone except hunters. Fuck hunters
    Fort/tyran: Changes how you pull the dungeons as the tank
    Sanguine: Tank
    Bursting: Tank/dps
    Necrotic: Tank
    Inspiring: Tank/dps for CC'ing the right mob
    Bolstering: Tank/dps
    Volcanic: Casters
    Storming: Tank/melee

Yes, most of the ones that affect the tank also affect the healer.. But only if the tank fucks up. If the tank knows how to deal with, say, bursting? You're not going to have anything to worry about. Same with Necrotic, or bolstering.
    The only one that primarily affects healers is Grievous, and even then, it depends on the group. If they don't take damage, they don't get hit by Grievous. And most tanks can help keep their stacks low. DHs for instance never get above 1 stack because they absorb so many souls and each one absorbed remove 1 stack.

Healer is entirely reliant on others to do their jobs well, or your job will be literal hell.
    As a tank you're also reliant on everyone else, but to a lesser degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atharaxie View Post
    As a healer, I have no doubt that tank job is more dememding in M+ specially since Prideful/Reaping/N'zoth affixes. Route % can kill a key faster than lack of control/dispel.

I have some concern with the end of pridefull affixe and the mana portion of the buff getting away in season 2. Currently, my mana regen is carried by the buff and I could only play without out by taking 5 seconds break every two packs. I say that as a priest (disc more than holy) but I hear it's the same for Mistweaver.

Either Blizzard look into mana consumtion in M+ environnement or next meta will be even more dominated by Pal/Sham.
    I mean, current meta is already entirely dominated by paladin/shaman.

And hell, even if you have to sit down for 5 seconds, your tank can still pull. Just have them pop a CD, or have your dps CC the mobs.
    Or if you're in a pug, well, hope they do that