Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Texas Senate passes bill requiring National Anthem played at sporting events

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-s...025936653.html

A bill that passed overwhelmingly in the Texas Senate on Thursday would require professional sports teams with government contracts to play the national anthem before games.

The bill passed 28-2 in the Senate with bipartisan support and now heads to the Texas House of Representatives.
    Mavericks decision led to support of anthem requirement

The bill gained traction after the Dallas Mavericks stopped playing the national anthem before home games this season. The practice went largely unnoticed until team owner Mark Cuban acknowledged the decision on Feb. 9 after 13 games had passed without the anthem being played.
    The national anthem is played before a game between the New Orleans Pelicans and the Dallas Mavericks in the first quarter at American Airlines Center on February 12, 2021 in Dallas, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
    SB 4 gained traction after the Mavericks stopped playing the anthem earlier this season. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
    Mark Cuban's stance on anthem

A day later, the NBA announced that all teams would be expected to play the anthem before games, and Cuban complied alongside a statement calling for voices who protest during the anthem to be heard:

“We respect and always have respected the passion people have for the anthem and our country. But we also loudly hear the voices of those who feel that the anthem does not represent them. We feel that their voices need to be respected and heard, because they have not been.

"Going forward, our hope is that people will take the same passion they have for this issue and apply the same amount of energy to listen to those who feel differently from them."

Athletes across sports, including the NBA, have protested during the national anthem to call attention to police brutality and racial inequity. Those protests have been commonly misrepresented by critics as attacks on the military.
    What exactly does the bill propose?

Per the bill, government entities would be banned from entering contracts with pro sports teams without written agreement from the teams to play the national anthem before all preseason, regular season and postseason game.

In the case of the Mavericks, this would apply to their agreement to play at the American Airlines Center, which is owned by the city of Dallas. Likewise, it would apply to the Dallas Cowboys. The city of Arlington — not Jerry Jones — owns AT&T Stadium. Though it's not likely that the anthem stops playing at Cowboys games any time soon.
    Texas leader touts regulation as virtue of freedom

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick presides over the state Senate and has been a vocal advocate of the bill. He touted the proposed regulation Thursday as in line with with American values of freedom.

"The passage of SB 4 will ensure Texans can count on hearing the Star Spangled Banner at major sports events throughout the state that are played in venues that taxpayers support," Patrick said in a statement. "We must always remember that America is the land of the free and the home of the brave."
    So the Texas Senate passes this bill making so every professional team must play the National Anthem if they have a contract with the Federal Government to play it. If they fail to play the National Anthem then the pro team will be banned from the stadiums. I understand this from a legal perspective if it stipulates that the team must play it per the contract, the only issue is the dispute is a civil matter not a criminal matter. If the Federal Government wants them to keep playing the National Anthem before their games then the Federal Government can take them to Civil court and dispute breaks in the contract. Texas trying to forcibly comply them to play the National Anthem is an overreach of the state government. Plus the irony is practically dripping out of the mouth of Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick when he says that people need to reminded America is home of the free by playing the National Anthem before games. Yes Dan, you sure are reminding people how America is home of the free by forcibly making teams play the National Anthem. Nothing says freedom like forced patriotism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there's no patriotism like FORCED PATRIOTISM.

I wonder if it needs to be played in the entire stadium? Or if they can just play it in the bathrooms? Or at what volume it needs to be played? Or if people must stop what they are doing?

Seems unconstitutional to me.
    Last edited by Jonnusthegreat; 2021-04-09 at 02:54 PM.

Non issue...dealing with contracts...and the state. No harm no foul...ball.

"In my opinion, there's no healthy patriotism", said the Kangaroo. " Quiet the opposite. Patriotism always appeared to be some form of idiocy to me. There's only unhealthy patriotism," it continued. "Healthy patriotism, that's just like 'benign tumor'. It might not be outright threatening, but it's still a tumor."
    -Marc-Uwe Kling, The Kangaroo Chronicles

Man, I'm looking forward to the reception of the BBC adaptation of these books. Should be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Non issue...dealing with contracts...and the state. No harm no foul...ball.
    It has nothing to do with the state because the contract is between the sports teams and the Federal Government. Again if the Federal Government wants to comply the teams to fulfill a part of the contract then they have to take them to civil court. The state of Texas has no dog in this fight and are only forcing their way in by trying to ban the teams for not playing the National Anthem. It is an overreach of the State government and I hope that the courts shoot this down as unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    It is an overreach of the State government and I hope that the courts shoot this down as unconstitutional.
    Don't hold your breath. It needs to be challenged.

Forced prayer in schools? Freedom.
    Forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance? Freedom.
    Forced to play the anthem? Freedom.

You keep using that word "freedom" but it doesn't mean what you think it means!

“I have never thought, for my part, that man's freedom consists in his being able to do whatever he wills, but that he should not, by any human power, be forced to do what is against his will.”

Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Reveries of the Solitary Walker

I'm sure the resident libertarian will whine all about it soon enough.

7+ Year Old Account
    Glad to see Texas is getting right on their power grid failures where children literally froze to death. Apparently it’s fixed so they can work on this bullshit.

Look at it another way; kneeling is typically done during the anthem, no?

Came in expecting a first amendment issue, at least it was immediately made clear that wasn't the problem. Just kinda *shrug* don't like it don't take government money I suppose.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-s...025936653.html

So the Texas Senate passes this bill making so every professional team must play the National Anthem if they have a contract with the Federal Government to play it. If they fail to play the National Anthem then the pro team will be banned from the stadiums. I understand this from a legal perspective if it stipulates that the team must play it per the contract, the only issue is the dispute is a civil matter not a criminal matter. If the Federal Government wants them to keep playing the National Anthem before their games then the Federal Government can take them to Civil court and dispute breaks in the contract. Texas trying to forcibly comply them to play the National Anthem is an overreach of the state government. Plus the irony is practically dripping out of the mouth of Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick when he says that people need to reminded America is home of the free by playing the National Anthem before games. Yes Dan, you sure are reminding people how America is home of the free by forcibly making teams play the National Anthem. Nothing says freedom like forced patriotism.
    What's interesting that this more than likely won't hold up. TX senate is essentially amending a contract, already in place, asking for more things after it was signed. If the Mavericks don't play it at the next game, and TX tries to kick them, they won't be able to, because the Mavericks have a contractual right to use the stadium.

Moreover, the issue is one of first amendment, and the TX senate is trying to force speech, which never goes well. Even preventing speech usually gets knocked down, but this is worse.

Finally, these dipshit TX GOP Senators (the TX Dems aren't at fault at all here, I'll explain in a sec), might have forced an issue to the Supreme Court, an issue they will more than likely not win.

Addendum: the TX Dem Senators are blameless, probably, because this was an easy thing to vote for (a vote against would have dire political consequences), and their respective staff lawyers might have drawn the same conclusions I did.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What's interesting that this more than likely won't hold up. TX senate is essentially amending a contract, already in place, asking for more things after it was signed. .
    Okay, now we have a game..err...contractual issue. This shouldn't withstand a challenge in any court.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, now we have a game..err...contractual issue. This shouldn't withstand a challenge in any court.
    Agreed. But the neat thing is that the TX GOP are dumb enough to push this all the way to SCOTUS. And that will get us a relative precedent on kneeling as well.

- - - Updated - - -

And it's not law, nor has it then been tested, so of course we're way ahead of ourselves. Plus, it can't be tested until the Mavericks or other "professional" sports team violates the law. I hate to say it, but I hope it does pass and Cuban does "challenge" it. Be hysterical if the GOP cost Texas their professional basketball team, and Cuban takes the Mavericks to Seattle.

(that's about 10 conclusions for the price of 1)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does the right wing hate freedom of speech?

Why does the right wing hate the freedom of businesses to operate how they want to?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

There's no patriotism like forced patriotism...which isn't really patriotism, but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was really hoping the wording would be "The National Anthem". The last line ruined it.

If it didn't call out the song by name, then they could play any nation's anthem. Crafty bastards.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at it another way; kneeling is typically done during the anthem, no?
    ... and police arrests?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Be hysterical if the GOP cost Texas their professional basketball team, and Cuban takes the Mavericks to Seattle.
    Stop trying to make Sean Kemp cry!!!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi