Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowroguetbc View Post
    I didn’t raid in vanilla but I did in tbc and I had 0 unit frame addons. I had recount (not sure if it was called recount back then) and the omni threat meter or whatever it was called and that was literally it. I remember trying to get some cool unit frame addons but my pc was so shit it was almost impossible to play with them so I did the ole open raid menu and drag each party onto my screen everytime. It worked out just fine.
    Probably not recount, since recount was always not as impactful in system ressources, and yes, it worked for some classes, since not every needed unit frames; but as a healer blizzard old unit frames were totally crap: they didn't even update fast enough to heal propertly, and fine was nothing of it, it was a huge pile of crap. But yes, dps-meter back then were monster-hungry obstrosities; it became better when blizzard added support for them. And Thread meter in TBC were also quite impactful on the PC since it used the same dps-data to calculate vague how much thread you got; something that was obsolete in WotLK.

Because of that i never used a dps-meter until Recount were out; it was the only dps-meter that were not totally insane in using the ressources of the PC. Some were even so bad that the WoW-Client crashed (back then it was a 32 bit client, so running out of memory was quite possible, especially since at the beginning it didn't even had a ram-flag, so only 2 GB could be used)

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Probably not recount, since recount was always not as impactful in system ressources, and yes, it worked for some classes, since not every needed unit frames; but as a healer blizzard old unit frames were totally crap: they didn't even update fast enough to heal propertly, and fine was nothing of it, it was a huge pile of crap. But yes, dps-meter back then were monster-hungry obstrosities; it became better when blizzard added support for them. And Thread meter in TBC were also quite impactful on the PC since it used the same dps-data to calculate vague how much thread you got; something that was obsolete in WotLK.

Because of that i never used a dps-meter until Recount were out; it was the only dps-meter that were not totally insane in using the ressources of the PC. Some were even so bad that the WoW-Client crashed (back then it was a 32 bit client, so running out of memory was quite possible, especially since at the beginning it didn't even had a ram-flag, so only 2 GB could be used)
    I mean I’m not saying the frames were great but I healed back then, Christ I used their unit frames I think the entire time I’ve played just because I just like the default look. I think my biggest hurdle was always hardware and internet connection anyway so I guess I never really noticed the downsides of it. Idk it was for sure doable I cleared *most* of the current content in tbc and all content in wrath with really no trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    Neither. Go barebones with no addons for the true Classic experience. If you need help finding something just use alt tab to wowhead. That's what I've been doing and it's been fun thus far.
    This!

Now that everything is out on wowhead in terms of guides etc the game is already so much easier. Part of the fun for me in the Classic experience was to relive Vanilla wow where 1) not everything was done taking you by the hand, and 2) you actually had to explore and walk across desserts/through jungles not exactly sure whether you were going in the right direction - and that there were "empty" parts in the world - in retail every square inch is filled with something (and to many pop references in the Cata revamped zones if you ask me).

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I lvl'd 1-60 in vanilla without any addon whatsoever. I used Thottbot for information about quests when needed. I dont recall using any addons in raids either when I finally reached 60, but I might be wrong. But I cannot forget the feeling of leveling in vanilla without any addon help and just Thottbot for support, a decent site but often enough so frustrating to use for many reasons.

I even remember it was a pain to tab out of the game, check thottbot, tab in again to remember quest name, tab in/out as you moved to the place thottbot told you and so on. On a shit PC from the stoneage.
    Omen threat meter was a REQUIREMENT for everyone in our raid and a few of us used dmg meters. Probably others that I do not recall but I only went addon free when I didnt know addons were a thing. So more of an ignorance thing than a choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    This!

Now that everything is out on wowhead in terms of guides etc the game is already so much easier. Part of the fun for me in the Classic experience was to relive Vanilla wow where 1) not everything was done taking you by the hand, and 2) you actually had to explore and walk across desserts/through jungles not exactly sure whether you were going in the right direction - and that there were "empty" parts in the world - in retail every square inch is filled with something (and to many pop references in the Cata revamped zones if you ask me).
    Not this! The OP obviously wants to use addons to improve his gameplay experience and trying to force your way of play on him is the wrong way to go. If you want to go addon less power to you, others do not and power to them. Either add to discussion and help the OP decide between the two or dont post.

And guide sites were absolutely a thing that told you where to go and what to do even in Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    Neither. Go barebones with no addons for the true Classic experience. If you need help finding something just use alt tab to wowhead. That's what I've been doing and it's been fun thus far.
    Your memory is pretty bad. Questie existed in vanilla. People used it all the time.

No one went barebones in true vanilla and if they say they did, than they lied.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Your memory is pretty bad. Questie existed in vanilla. People used it all the time.

No one went barebones in true vanilla and if they say they did, than they lied.
    I did. I didnt have a addon installed until much later. I lvld 1-60 by reading quest text and tabbing out to Thottbot and read. Kind of had to, didnt know such addons were a thing back then. Brand new MMORPG player and a novice with PCs and all, just the game itself was enough.

It was a different time back then compared to now. I mean, back then I didnt think about not having an addon for questing. I took it for what it was and carried on. Heck, I remember the thick tutorial book you got from buying wow. I have that book to this day. That book+thottbot thought me what I needed to know. Addons? lol didnt know it was a thing. When im playing classic today, I ofcourse have questie installed. Would probably do it back in vanilla to if got to know about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Omen threat meter was a REQUIREMENT for everyone in our raid and a few of us used dmg meters. Probably others that I do not recall but I only went addon free when I didnt know addons were a thing. So more of an ignorance thing than a choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Not this! The OP obviously wants to use addons to improve his gameplay experience and trying to force your way of play on him is the wrong way to go. If you want to go addon less power to you, others do not and power to them. Either add to discussion and help the OP decide between the two or dont post.

And guide sites were absolutely a thing that told you where to go and what to do even in Vanilla.
    Ofc it was out of not knowing. I bet alot of people back then didnt know about addons whatsoever. It took some time before I installed my first addons and one of them was Omen threat meter cause I was a warrior tank. I first learned about these addons when I joined guild(s) with players that knew much more than myself and those I played with.

With that said - Im glad I lvld in vanilla without addons. Call it ignorance if you wish. I have so many nice memories of both frustrating and great times revolving quests. Where to go, what to kill etc. "Does these mobs drop what I need?" "where the heck is Hinterlands and whats the way?". I actually to this day remember several questlines and what they are about due to me actually reading quest text. I knew why I went to kill 10 bears and collect theyre asses!

Addons such as questie is great(I use it now on classic), but it takes away the ownership(lack of better word) of the quests you do. Now you just check map, run there, run back. It convenient and easy, but I loose something else by using it. I kind of makes questing a much more lenient and effective way of leveling, but quests are easily forgotten.

Luckily i've played vanilla without it so I guess im excused heh.
    Last edited by crusadernero; 2021-04-09 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, who gives a crap what you all did in Vanilla?

To the point - start with Questie. You don't NEED it but without it you have to carefully read the quest text and hunt for objectives more. Yes, that exploration is more 'realistic' but it can also be frustrating and time consuming.

I did. I didnt have a addon installed until much later. I lvld 1-60 by reading quest text and tabbing out to Thottbot and read. Kind of had to, didnt know such addons were a thing back then. Brand new MMORPG player and a novice with PCs and all, just the game itself was enough.

It was a different time back then compared to now. I mean, back then I didnt think about not having an addon for questing. I took it for what it was and carried on. Heck, I remember the thick tutorial book you got from buying wow. I have that book to this day. That book+thottbot thought me what I needed to know. Addons? lol didnt know it was a thing. When im playing classic today, I ofcourse have questie installed. Would probably do it back in vanilla to if got to know about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ofc it was out of not knowing. I bet alot of people back then didnt know about addons whatsoever. It took some time before I installed my first addons and one of them was Omen threat meter cause I was a warrior tank. I first learned about these addons when I joined guild(s) with players that knew much more than myself and those I played with.

With that said - Im glad I lvld in vanilla without addons. Call it ignorance if you wish. I have so many nice memories of both frustrating and great times revolving quests. Where to go, what to kill etc. "Does these mobs drop what I need?" "where the heck is Hinterlands and whats the way?". I actually to this day remember several questlines and what they are about due to me actually reading quest text. I knew why I went to kill 10 bears and collect theyre asses!

Addons such as questie is great(I use it now on classic), but it takes away the ownership(lack of better word) of the quests you do. Now you just check map, run there, run back. It convenient and easy, but I loose something else by using it. I kind of makes questing a much more lenient and effective way of leveling, but quests are easily forgotten.

Luckily i've played vanilla without it so I guess im excused heh.
    Yeah but it was also a different world back then. Most of us didnt know what wow would bring it was my first mmo style game I played I came off CS:Source as my main game before that. But fast forward 15+years and it is not "new" and some people for their own reasons wish to rush to the end game. And most other games to compare them too have similar features built in by default. What was important to us may not be to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Yeah but it was also a different world back then. Most of us didnt know what wow would bring it was my first mmo style game I played I came off CS:Source as my main game before that. But fast forward 15+years and it is not "new" and some people for their own reasons wish to rush to the end game. And most other games to compare them too have similar features built in by default. What was important to us may not be to them.
    Leveling used to be part of endgame in MMORPGs back in the day. CS was my main game back in the days to before wow, but I tried out several MMORPGs before wow. The sense of wonder and curiositiy within the world(s) was def there, especially when you could meet and chat with others. It was much more about the journey. It isnt anymore, people want to get into max level activites quickly. I dont blame them either. Questing can be quite mundane.

Leveling used to be part of endgame in MMORPGs back in the day. CS was my main game back in the days to before wow, but I tried out several MMORPGs before wow. The sense of wonder and curiositiy within the world(s) was def there, especially when you could meet and chat with others. It was much more about the journey. It isnt anymore, people want to get into max level activites quickly. I dont blame them either. Questing can be quite mundane.
    Yeah video games have evolved. Even replay for the most part is about efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowroguetbc View Post
    You know everything you mentioned is available for free with other addons and guides right?
    possibly. i dont use zygor anymore. at the time, it suited my needs, so i get people who use it. also zygor is way more active in patching issues on it as people who pay for something, tend to have a more vested interests in reporting bugs and sticking through something. not saying this is the case for everyone but that's the overall feeling I got. thus meaning my idea could be completely wrong, but I was ok with it.

zygor programmed me to know how to level and don't need any addons for questing at this point. but i will say, the peace of mind zygor provided for me at the time was worth it. I see nothing wrong with tipping an addon a few bucks a month to keep them motivated to keep working on the project. so many addons have died and gone to the wayside over the years and yet zygor is still strong as ever.

Neither.

I use WoW-pro guides and have had no issues. Do what you want but people wanting you to do without for the "vanilla" experience act like addons and guides didn't exist back then. They did.