Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Series] Jupiter's Legacy

Heya,

I've just stumbled upon this trailer for an incoming Netflix Serie, apparently derivated from a comics (which I don't know ).
    Should start beginning of May.

What do you think ?
    That definitely looks interesting and with some potential, in the wake of The Boys' success.

This does look interesting but I got some CW style vibes from the trailer that was a little off putting

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Heya,

I've just stumbled upon this trailer for an incoming Netflix Serie, apparently derivated from a comics (which I don't know ).
    Should start beginning of May.

What do you think ?
    That definitely looks interesting and with some potential, in the wake of The Boys' success.
    Is there big showcase series to compete with the other streaming services?

The comic is decent, elevated by Frank Quitely's always dynamic artwork. I'm looking forward to it, it's some of Millar's least derivative work (despite it drawing from a lot of super hero tropes), so it might well stand on it's own better than any other none IP-universe franchise has. I'm not sold on the cinematography (and agree with Minkage about the CW vibes), but if it's been put together properly that's not going to matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Comic book shows are reaching that point where vampires and zombie shows were a few years back. I asked myself why would I watch this over the Marvel shows, Titans, Doom Patrol, The Boys, Invincible, Umbrella Academy, even the CW shows?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

this show is fucking godawful, cant believe people get paid money to come up with this formula

I kinda like it. Only saw the first episode but there is a surreal aspect to it that I find intriguing. I didn't read the comic for it though.

I just watched it. It’s alright.

It seemed campy low budget at times. And it made the strange choice to show the past and present at the same time. Which normally is done for some kind of narrative reason, but here it was just done to frustrate me between good scenes and awful scenes and every time there is a frame transition I need to worry about being in the middle of a story I don’t give a fuck about because they put zero effort into it.

Few more episodes in and I really am enjoying the show. A lot of compelling characters.

Chole and Utopian are very well written so far. I like effort to impart both of their points of view in the show. That breakfast scene was terrific and well balanced.

I also like the inherent conflict with Utopian and Paragon with an underlying familiarity they would have as parent and child.

Leaning hard into the concept of legacy really works for the show. Emotionally resonant stuff.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-05-08 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That breakfast scene was terrific and well balanced.

I also like the inherent conflict with Utopian and Paragon with an underlying familiarity they would have as parent and child.

Leaning hard into the concept of legacy really works for the show. Emotionally resonant stuff.
    I agree with you. The breakfast scene was real good and I think Utopian stops mid sentence because he realizes that what he is doing and saying can't be received as anything but an attack by his daughter while for him he's giving her advice and guidance that he thinks will help.

The scenes of the past are trying to show why and how Utopian sticks to his ideals even though its not the easier path. Whether that's the correct choice or not is up to the viewer probably. The past scenes also depict the disconnect between the perceptions of older people vs the youth, wisdom and experience and fear of what negative ramifications actions can have vs making bold choices in the face of seemingly overwhelming problems.
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

Watched it all. The show is quite entertaining!
    If you are expecting to have your mind blown, this is not it. But if you enjoy superhero stuff, and want some solid entertainment, then I recommend it! ^^

There are some seriously handsome men in this show. They don't shy away from it either.

Pretty refreshing, honestly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-05-08 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    this show is fucking godawful, cant believe people get paid money to come up with this formula
    Its netflix. They make at max 2 to 3 seasons of great shows then cancel them. Only the really great get more seasons.
    And the spend their money on drek like this and thunder force.

The entire 1929 story line should have been a whole season! I was on the edge of my seat as the mystery began to unravel.

When the thing happened, bro. I was in fucking tears like a bitch. My kids crying too.

That was a helluva a satisfying payoff! Bravo!

I liked it, the flashbacks were really good and I usually do not like that time in history but it was really ineresting, the twist was not really unexpected but neither was it done badly, I utterly loathe the daughter which I guess means the writers and actress did their jobs right.

The moral quandry of the Code is interesting/cliche/overdone all at the same time but despite that I like how it is the central topic for the current timeline, especially with the new generation coming in, its legit hard to justify not killing the shitbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    I liked it, the flashbacks were really good and I usually do not like that time in history but it was really ineresting, the twist was not really unexpected but neither was it done badly, I utterly loathe the daughter which I guess means the writers and actress did their jobs right.
    Chole? Man, I loved her! I thought she was a good character and had a real point of conflict and a valid point for being bitter toward her parents.

Or do you mean, the other daughter?

The moral quandry of the Code is interesting/cliche/overdone all at the same time but despite that I like how it is the central topic for the current timeline, especially with the new generation coming in, its legit hard to justify not killing the shitbags.
    TThe first episode was good but I was eh on the show up to the point they actually followed through the code/conflict. I admired they kept piling on reasons for/against the code.

Generally, I thought the show did a good job of exploring its themes from both POVs; hero/villain, code/no-code, past/present, expectations/responsibility.

Many times I got wrapped up in the moment and thought, "Well, he has a point..." then a few scenes later they present a counterpoint. I dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are some seriously handsome men in this show. They don't shy away from it either.

Pretty refreshing, honestly.
    I'm not sure how handsome men in super hero shows is "refreshing" what with Chris Evans, Henry Cavill, Chris Hemsworth, etc all running around in their very tight clothing.

TV and Movies in general aren't really known to be all that shy about casting very attractive people.

I ended up really liking the show. In some respects it reminded me of the Kindom Come story line fir DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    I ended up really liking the show. In some respects it reminded me of the Kindom Come story line fir DC.
    Some of that...and some of "What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way" (or the Animated adaptation of that story "Super-Man vs The Elite")

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I'm not sure how handsome men in super hero shows is "refreshing" what with Chris Evans, Henry Cavill, Chris Hemsworth, etc all running around in their very tight clothing.
    I don't think it is really emphasized on those films. They are like PG.

My remark was meant to suggest more than "attractive people", I meant men being shown in a sexual context as desirable. Usually, you get a shot of a woman walking away from a tryst with perhaps some side boob or cheek suggestion. Or longing shots of a women's physique being emphasized and/or posed in such a way as to slim her hips or embellish her bust posing and shot-blocking.

It is less common for men to be shown in that or similar context. In Jupiter's Legacy, they made an effort to show men in that light as well. I will avoid spoilers because this just came out.

I only recall one of those Marvel movies mentioned Thor was handsome as a joke. They really didn't have Thor laying the hammer down or Iron Man showing the iron buns. So to speak.