Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Texas GOP Chairman Wants to Secede

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/09/polit...ile/index.html

Texas Republican Party chairman Allen West falsely suggested that Texas could secede from the United States and become an independent country, a CNN KFile review of his comments in recent months shows.

In radio interviews after the 2020 presidential election, West suggested Texas could vote to again become a republic, as it was before joining the United States in 1845.

"This is something that was written into the Texas Constitution," the former congressman said in one late December radio broadcast. "Or it was promised to Texas when we became part of the United States of America-- that if we voted and decided, we could go back to being our own republic."

Experts, however, say that Texas cannot legally secede and leave the United States to become its own republic. The annexation resolution West is referring to stipulates that Texas could, in the future, choose to divide itself into five new states, not divide itself from the US and declare independence. West mistook the congressional annexation resolution that made Texas a state for the Texas constitution.

Texas does have a history of secession. In 1861, Texas voted in favor of secession and later left the Union to join the Confederate States of America, setting the stage for the American Civil War. After the Confederacy lost the war, the Supreme Court ruled that Texas had remained a state, despite joining the Confederate States of America in an act of rebellion for four years, and that any acts ratified by the Confederate-era state legislature were "absolutely null." Texas eventually rejoined the Union in 1870.

In the December broadcast, West added that he supported a bill that would soon be introduced in the Texas state house in January, which would create a nonbinding referendum election on whether Texans should secede.

The bill, which has little chance of passing, would allow for a vote on whether the state could form a committee to develop a long-term plan to secede.

"I do support the will of the people to be heard and allow the people to vote on this," said West in the same December interview. "But I will tell you my official position is that I want Texas to lead, not so much secede."

West's comments on secession come as he repeatedly and baselessly questioned the legitimacy of the 2020 presidential election and pushed debunked claims of massive voting fraud, including the lie that Dominion Voting Software changed votes. Following President Joe Biden's election, West has claimed the US is in an "ideological Civil War" and agreed with a radio host who suggested that an actual civil war would be "worth it."

He argued Republican states can band together to nullify laws passed by Congress they don't believe are constitutional.

After the Supreme Court rejected a Texas lawsuit to overturn the 2020 election, West suggested that "perhaps law-abiding states should band together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution."

While West denied that he called for secession -- and accused his critics of advocating for secession -- he has left the door open to Texas secession beyond supporting a referendum election.

"Truthfully, I would rather Texas lead than secede -- if the moment does come when things have gone so bad -- but I don't think we're going to get to that point," he told an audience in January.

The Texas Republican Party did not return requests for comment.

West said the US is in an 'ideological civil war'

Speaking on the Truth and Liberty broadcast on January 4 --two days before the Capitol insurrection which would leave five people dead--West said the US was already engaged in an "ideological civil war."

"I heard one person say, 'but man, this can cause us a civil war,'" the host, Andrew Wommack, argued. "And the other person says, 'well, we've already fought one. Was it worth it? Was it worth it to free the slaves? "Is it worth it to save our Constitution?' You can't judge what's right. Based on how other people are going to respond. You just have to do what's right. And face the consequences."

"No, you're, you're absolutely right," West responded. "And again, that is the mentality that the left has. The left is banking on the fact that they're afraid to do it. Because they, they know that we'll go into the streets and we'll do all of these different things. But again, we're already in an ideological civil war, whether you want it or not."

"When you look at what has happened out in Portland, guess what, they've been rioting, they've been tearing up neighborhoods," he added. "If you look at Inauguration Day of 2017, they were in Washington, DC burning up cars and rioting. We should have stopped it then. So either we stop it now, or it's going to be like a cancer that metastasizes, and eventually it'll kill the host."

In at least one interview in November, West pushed the baseless conspiracy that Dominion Voting Systems changed votes to ensure a Biden victory. Dominion Voting Systems denies this and has sued Fox News, Rudy Giuliani and attorney Sidney Powell for pushing falsehoods about voting fraud in the election.

"I think we're also going to finally get the evidence," West said when speaking on Dominion. "And the understanding is that there were states, there were votes that were, tampered with affected, shifted, changed, whatever you want to call it West said that states don't need to follow laws they deem unconstitutional

In other interviews, West contended that states could choose not to follow executive orders or even federal laws they deem unconstitutional.

"I think it was North or South Dakota, this constitutional nullification," West said in February 2021. "Because we have to have state legislatures that say, look, if you are signing executive orders that are not constitutionally sound, we're not obligated. We're not going to follow these things. So we want you to go through the right process."

"We want you to establish laws, but even still, if there are laws that you're looking to implement...which would undermine our Second Amendment......would nationalize elections under the control of the federal government," he said. "We don't want those things to happen."

In March, the North Dakota State House passed a resolution saying the state would only follow laws they deemed constitutional. In February, the South Dakota House introduced a bill saying the state could nullify executive orders.

"I think that we do have that power within our hands, to just nullify a lot of these things," West added, saying Republican states could form together to nullify laws. "And that sends a powerful message back."
    The party of "patriotic" Americans seems to want to leave America because America isn't American enough for them.

And they legit think they're involved in an "ideological civil war" to boot. Why is it that Republicans seem so hungry for Civil War, conflict, an secession?

10+ Year Old Account
    We hear this every electoral cycle and the answer is always the same:

Go ahead and ensure the GOP never wins the Presidency ever again, Texas. Make my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think these rural Texas types realize just how many democrats/progressives live in this state now. They are only holding on to a majority because of the terrible gerrymandering of districts around the major metro areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I don't think these rural Texas types realize just how many democrats/progressives live in this state now. They are only holding on to a majority because of the terrible gerrymandering of districts around the major metro areas.
    My county voted for a Dem president for the first time since the 60's. Be interesting to see if that trend holds, given we're the largest "red" county / city.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Secession" talk from these folks is always so patently silly. They act like they'd just get to continue on with business as usual except they don't have to follow those folks in DC anymore.

Except...they'd lose all of the US trade deals, the US military, inter-state commerce they benefit from, and basically any international standing the US has obtained by hook or by crook. They'd screaming child demanding to sit at the big-boys table whom everyone would promptly /ignore, and then take advantage of via unfair trade deals by the same country they used to benefit from.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    This is also not a pipe dream held be every Texas republican. I'd actually be kinda curious to see how a vote on it would pan out. My guess is that none of the ever-growing left leaning populace would vote to secede, and only a portion of the right leaning side would actually go for it. But then again, I didn't think there were enough idiots in Britain to vote for Brexit and yet here we are...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    "Secession" talk from these folks is always so patently silly. They act like they'd just get to continue on with business as usual except they don't have to follow those folks in DC anymore.

Except...they'd lose all of the US trade deals, the US military, inter-state commerce they benefit from, and basically any international standing the US has obtained by hook or by crook. They'd screaming child demanding to sit at the big-boys table whom everyone would promptly /ignore, and then take advantage of via unfair trade deals by the same country they used to benefit from.
    And what is to stop the U.S. from immediately invading them and taking it back?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    And what is to stop the U.S. from immediately invading them and taking it back?
    They're gonna ally with a strong protector of Democracy and freedom: Russia!

I'm sure Mexico would love an independent Texas... I mean Tejas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure Mexico would love an independent Texas... I mean Tejas.
    They can be our Poland, keeping us safe from all the evil they say comes from Mexico.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They can be our Poland, keeping us safe from all the evil they say comes from Mexico.
    ..hmm...needs work, but I see the kernel of an idea

10+ Year Old Account
    We have too many Germans to be Poland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    ..hmm...needs work, but I see the kernel of an idea
    If Texas builds a wall, we get all the “benefits” of a wall, but without any problems. I expect them to lower EP... I mean... there will be no EPA, so we can just dump shit over the border. I don’t know... but, we can definitely use a guilt free dumping ground...

(This is assuming everyone who wants to leave Texas, can do so and present company excluded from “dumping ground”.)
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The party of "patriotic" Americans seems to
    Hooooooooooooold on. I'm pretty sure I just read

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    So the Texas Senate passes this bill making so every professional team must play the National Anthem
    So are the Texas GOP so incredibly into America that they want to retroactively rewrite contract law as @cubby said to force sports games to have the national anthem which most of them already do, or, are the Texas GOP so upset with America that they want to leave it behind?

Look you two, you're postings make the GOP look inconsistent, even chaotic. You're making it sound like they don't actually have a plan for their party or their country, but are wildly thrashing around as if there's two different mentalities leading the party. Which of course is fat-ass insane. Why don't you two talk it out, and decide if the Texas GOP loves their country or hates their country? I mean, only a group of insane people would want to push forth legislation for both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Hooooooooooooold on. I'm pretty sure I just read

So are the Texas GOP so incredibly into America that they want to retroactively rewrite contract law as @cubby said to force sports games to have the national anthem which most of them already do, or, are the Texas GOP so upset with America that they want to leave it behind?

Look you two, you're postings make the GOP look inconsistent, even chaotic. You're making it sound like they don't actually have a plan for their party or their country, but are wildly thrashing around as if there's two different mentalities leading the party. Which of course is fat-ass insane. Why don't you two talk it out, and decide if the Texas GOP loves their country or hates their country? I mean, only a group of insane people would want to push forth legislation for both at the same time.
    Almost like the GOP has no policy except reactionary identity policy. What the Blacks are getting uppity? Pass a law to put them down. What now the immigrants? Pass a law to put them down. Even the women folk are getting emotional? Pass a law to put them down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Almost like the GOP has no policy except reactionary identity policy.
    I mean, that can't possibly be right, can it? The Republican Party keeps insisting they go all the way back at least as far as Lincoln. And they won the popular vote almost once this century. For them to have no coherent plans or policies or actions, why, that'd just be insane. That would be literally insane.

This dude’s not even a real Texan. He only moved there after he got booted from Congress and needed a safe space.

I fucking dare them to try. A good portion of their economy is oil and gas. Guarantee if we shut off every pipeline that ends up there, they would be begging to come back with their tail between their legs in less than 6 fucking months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it ironic to have ‘Texas wants to secede’ and ‘Texas makes anthem mandatory’ back to back? Seems... kinda strange...

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it ironic to have ‘Texas wants to secede’ and ‘Texas makes anthem mandatory’ back to back? Seems... kinda strange...
    Just like with the confederacy, they're under the delusion that they represent the "real America."

Why do you think the people waving confederate flags... the flag of the failed traitor-nation that killed hundreds of thousands of American soldiers... are so "patriotic?"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.