Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    McG looked as weird as the toy leak from last year, but his function over fashion approach was wrecking shit hard.
    Yeah, he really looked like a toy, which made me think that his design was maybe an effort to stay close to the original (like what was done with Godzilla) but when I looked up for the original MechaGodzilla, I realised he looked nothing like that.

So I guess it was just an attempt to give him a bit of a goofy, like Godzilla, or a nod to future toy lines.

The fights were fun to watch but that's 20 minutes or so of a 2 hour movie where the human stuff was just as bad as the other ones. I don't know if I could give it much higher than a 2.5/5 because even though the monster stuff delivered, the rest was just so mediocre.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    The fights were fun to watch but that's 20 minutes or so of a 2 hour movie where the human stuff was just as bad as the other ones. I don't know if I could give it much higher than a 2.5/5 because even though the monster stuff delivered, the rest was just so mediocre.
    Im surprised more people are not commenting on how a youtuber and a kid snuck into one of the most secretry secret military bases without even meeting anyone, let alone a locked door.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

I can't believe the lack of weight in this. Godzilla's weight was perfect, substantive, and noticed in every previous legendary movie.

In this was he turns into a goddamn olympic athlete near the end vs kong? wtf. It's like how pacific rim had perfect weight and gravity in the first one and then fucking nothing in the next.

How does this keep getting missed

I liked Kong: Skull Island far better than this one. But then I'm not a fan of neither of the later Godzilla movies, especially not the one where Bryan Cranston was almost in it. That means I have no expectations, but still.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Wasn’t it because the facility was nearly destroyed by Godzilla? Pretty sure security measures and staff wouldn’t be the same after that.
    I mean i guess. But if someone bombed area 51 and they had to move it, I'm sure you wouldnt be able to walk around there willy nilly.

Just seemed like they had to give Millie Bobby Brown something to do. Could cut it entirely from the film and wouldnt change anything.

7+ Year Old Account
    I added to my comment above.

Was it even a military base? I thought it was just Walter Simmons facility.
    Well they keep Ghidorah's head there connected up to the WiFi. So it certainly should be protected building/ not just your local arcade

7+ Year Old Account
    Idk, but it’s saying it was a Apex Cybernetic facility in Florida, so I don’t think that’s comparable to an actual military base, especially one like Area 51.
    Walking into a cybernetic's facility which would have billion dollar patents shouldnt be any easier either.

I mean yeah its a bit of a nit pick in the giant lizard vs giant ape movie but it doesnt do anything except drag the experience down.

When you have to already switch off your brain for stuff like giant titans fighting on a boat can they at least make the human stuff believable

The kids and the conspiracy guy doing their investigation plotline was beyond stupid and in a movie with a giant lizard fighting a giant gorilla, I found the underground monorail leading to the other side of the planet to be perhaps the most farfetched thing (aside from the hollow earth stuff) in the whole movie.

The bad guy was incredibly generic and I got some WW84 the mandalorian vibes from his character. Generic evil business man.

Alexander Skarsgård felt so unimportant to what was happening, there was a good stretch of maybe 20-25 minutes where it felt like his characters didn't have any lines yet they kept cutting to reaction shots of his face looking stoned or surprised about what was going on.

The fights were fun (especially the Hong Kong one with neon) but that's still such a small % of the overall run time. It's like buying a new CD and being happy there's 3-4 solid songs on there but you still gotta sit through the rest which is uninteresting at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the prequel comics/graphic novels for GvK were released and I read a synopsis for the Godzilla one called "Godzilla Dominion" and the story is told from Godzilla's perspective. It shows you his thoughts and feelings on things... which is kind of cool. It also puts some aspect of the film's backstory into a new light, and reveals potential details for potential future films.

Going to copy + paste interesting excerpts:

- "...Godzilla recognizes Scylla as a Titan who earlier submitted to him, but sees that she has become hungry and restless as she pursues a nuclear warhead for sustenance. Godzilla recognizes the warhead as a human invention, and knows that if Scylla feeds on it, it will explode and damage the land and sea. With Scylla unwilling to surrender her prize without a fight.."

- "Godzilla thinks about how the world has changed since Ghidorah awoke, and that with his death there is still imbalance in his territory as it seeks a new equilibrium..."

- "Nearby, Behemoth is locked in battle with Amhuluk, who slashes off one of the Titan's massive tusks. Godzilla is in Behemoth's territory, which is healing now as well. However, Ghidorah caused too many of his Titan brethren to awake at once, putting them into conflict. If this battle continues, the land will be further wounded. Behemoth strikes Amhuluk with his other tusk, but Amhuluk retaliates with a punch that knocks Behemoth down. Amhuluk grabs Behemoth by the tusk and begins to drag him away, but Godzilla intervenes and throws Amhuluk. Amhuluk acknowledges Godzilla's status as 'king' and leaves, while Behemoth stands up once more and wanders into his territory. Godzilla is tired, but his lair where he could rest and feed on the planet's energy is gone."

- "Godzilla swims under the sea and descends into the Hollow Earth to rest. Much has changed in Godzilla's lifetime. The land and seas have shifted, places that once burned are cold, and places that teemed with life are now abandoned. Godzilla reaches the place where his lair once stood, a place the humans had built for him. He remembers how Ishiro Serizawa had died for him here."

- "...They will no longer emerge in this place once sacred to Godzilla. The energy from the Earth that Godzilla feeds on no longer collects in this place, so Godzilla must seek out a new source of nourishment."

- "Godzilla closes his eyes and shuts out sound, perceiving the winds that blow around the planet. In some places, the winds fold, like a place Godzilla once came to long ago. Godzilla may have called this place home, had a "rival" not driven him out of it. Godzilla surfaces and climbs up a cliff, drawn to the moon which seems to call to him. Godzilla remembers how the ocean once divided his world, above and below. But now, they are one, and he sees the world anew. Godzilla sees a vision of Mothra as he remembers the sacrifice she made for him. Godzilla continues his search for a new home, led on by Mothra's gift of life. He decides to return to the place from which his rival had driven him..."

- "He senses boats and oil, but also something else. He comes upon Na Kika (new Titan), who is trapped within a massive net. She came here seeking solace and rest, only to be captured. Godzilla swims into the net, caught and affected by poison as well. Whatever has done this is violating the natural order. Godzilla tears himself and Na Kika free. Godzilla realizes those who have done this have made war on the sea, and like Ghidorah, have come only to destroy for the sake of destruction."

- "Godzilla continues deeper into the cavern, coming upon one of his old lairs, its walls adorned with paintings of him and his worshipers. Something is different though. His rival was not the same. Before Tiamat, there was another here. Godzilla sees the skull of a member of Kong's species and recognizes it as belonging to his rival. Godzilla has found a new home, and will be able to rest soon. But first, he must call the other Titans to rest as well."

15+ Year Old Account
    Worst movie I've seen this year, and I've been watching a few. :S
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I added to my comment above.

Was it even a military base? I thought it was just Walter Simmons facility.
    Given the work they were doing there, it wouldn't matter, the place would have armed security at MINIMUM, most likely a sizeable force of Blackwater-type ex military guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Given the work they were doing there, it wouldn't matter, the place would have armed security at MINIMUM, most likely a sizeable force of Blackwater-type ex military guys.
    Kinda hedging on either side. Bernie bumped into armed dudes and they were killed. The whole place kinda got ruined, and they took that giant robotic eye which was clearly in the open at that point. After that... I'm not sure I'd want anyone to know if there was anything secret I'm protecting by having armed security around guarding rubble and debris. To be fair, there should have been a networked camera system in place.

This movie was watchable, but barely. I really REALLY hate all the humanizing factors they give these monsters. Godzilla laughing, Kong / Godzilla's expressions (smiling, frowning, getting angry), etc. These aren't people. They're animals - even gorillas don't have that level of expression. It's cheesy (and not in a good way) and takes me out of the movie.

Would it hurt to have them act like them (really big ones)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    This movie was watchable, but barely. I really REALLY hate all the humanizing factors they give these monsters. Godzilla laughing, Kong / Godzilla's expressions (smiling, frowning, getting angry), etc. These aren't people. They're animals - even gorillas don't have that level of expression. It's cheesy (and not in a good way) and takes me out of the movie.

They are more than animals... and that is the point. They aren't just overgrown animals, they are more. Is it so hard to suspend one's disbelief and imagine that creatures of that size/power could have infinitely larger capacity for intelligence and emotion

Would it hurt to have them act like them (really big ones)?

I don't think that's what they are going for. At least in this film universe's incarnation of daikaiju/"Titans"
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-04-11 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    They are more than animals... and that is the point. They aren't just animals. Is it so hard to suspend your disbelief and imagine that creatures of that size/power could have infinitely larger capacity for intelligence and emotion?

I don't think that's what they are going for. At least in this film universe's incarnation of daikaiju/"Titans"
    I'm fine with them being more than "animals". But having them laugh at each other, grin, etc. is just beyond stupid. They're monsters. I'm fine with them being intelligent, I don't understand the need to personificate them so much.

If the movie took it further...thinking as their brain capacity is far larger than human, I'd have wonder that it isn't anthropomorphism.

10+ Year Old Account
    A grin or laugh is better than when Godzilla and friends actually "spoke". Even as a kid that shit was weird.

Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    A grin or laugh is better than when Godzilla and friends actually "spoke". Even as a kid that shit was weird.

Hahaha, that really was cheesy but oh so satisfying to laugh at.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Kinda hedging on either side. Bernie bumped into armed dudes and they were killed. The whole place kinda got ruined, and they took that giant robotic eye which was clearly in the open at that point. After that... I'm not sure I'd want anyone to know if there was anything secret I'm protecting by having armed security around guarding rubble and debris. To be fair, there should have been a networked camera system in place.
    That kinda research ALWAYS has armed security. If they still have stuff of value there, they would have had the wreckage blocked off using some excuse like "a chemical spill" or some other bullshit cover story that mandated armed security to keep people out "for their own protection" or some similar BS.