Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I like to think of the undead as the old people with back problems. Sylvanas and Arthas are the two kids with scoliosis feeling like they rule the world, doing everything they can to hold back the pain that awaits all the dead. Then bam once she hits 63 there goes her hip and then her shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The same reason Argonians have tits and Death Knights all look like living people with bad eyesight. Fanservice. If you're asking in lore, Arthas kept her body around to torture her with it, keeping it in an iron coffin to preserve it. Given he kept a vial of her blood around to take into his Jeffrey Dahmer trophy cabinet it necessitated it be kept in good enough shape to allow this. When Arthas was distracted by Illidan attacking the Frozen Throne, she nabbed the body back and then maintained it to sell figurines look good because she's vain and if you were a zombie you'd prefer to look like a (morally) grey model instead of a shambling corpse.
    The undead campaign of Frozen Throne starts with corporeal Sylvanas as a leader in Arthas's forces, so I guess he granted it to her for whatever reason. The book didn't say why iirc.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    The undead campaign of Frozen Throne starts with corporeal Sylvanas as a leader in Arthas's forces, so I guess he granted it to her for whatever reason. The book didn't say why iirc.
    Yeah, the book is itself a retcon. In WC3 there was no explanation. They just thought it'd be cooler if she were an undead ranger instead of a banshee. They were right too.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

It probably started with the mentality of "character is female, therefore must look sexy", but Nathanos, Calia and Derek show us Blizzard also just doesn't like the undead model and refuses to use it for any relevant character.

^
    Some kind of people wouldn't like to do things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the same way DKs don't look decayed. It's worth noting that blizzard has a tendency to cheap out on assets and her banshee model in WC3 is most likely because they didn't make a dark ranger model at the time. Her reclaiming her body is made up to justify the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Problem is the Doylist argument is the primary reason- the lore one is just made up afterwards.
    Look at the name of the forum subsection you're posting in if you need a hint which of the two arguments people want to have discussed in said forum. It's not a difficult concept.

OT: As for her supposedly increasing beauty she's been working for the Jailer since Cataclysm, one of the closest beings to a god of all death in the franchise. Whereas the In the Shadw of the Sun descriptions were in early Wrath, the point at which she wouldn't have the most time to rot and break down before she began getting upgraded. Like Nathanos getting upgraded Sylvanas has probably been enhanced as far as it is possible for an undead to be.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post

^
    She looks so much more cool and fitting to her station as Banshee Queen, though. The design is fanmade, but I like this Sylvanas far more than any of her canon incarnations.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post

^
    This is what she should look like after Saurfang beat her, not just having a thin scar on her face.

I wish DKs looked this gross too lol
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

According to the cutscenes we have of her death, she should be run through but yet hasn't been depicted as such. Her not rotting is more her state of reanimation so soon after death, and not having to deal with the Plague. She wasn't zombified, she was raised.

10+ Year Old Account
    The stronger the undead the better they tend to look. Thats why Death Knights also look better than say ghouls. Also Forsaken look bad because their model was based on undead who had been rotting a while before being animated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I don't feel this matches up. We've exploded human corpses in Western Plaguelands into Forsaken-looking shambling corpses immediately after they died, and they weren't dealing with the plague in the meanwhile.
    Not all Val'kyr seem to reanimate the same way. In this instance it was way more sloppy than other Val'kyr or Arthas' method of making DKs. Here I figured they were making rushed shock troops like minutemen and didn't have the time or power to make proper full power clean power infused reanimations.

Also worth noting Corpse Explosions from many Scourge mobs can and will cause disease and Plague, so this method may be a case of infusing a lot of Plague as a way of reanimating. (Granted, Val'kyr typically don't have much involvement with Plague, though.)
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-04-12 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Every forsaken has some characteristic that he/she's dead. Rotten, maybe a broken jaw, missing eye, bones showing etc.

But not Sylvanas. She just looks like a purple elf.

Is it just coomer bait, or is there some lore reason I've missed?
    She isnt a forsaken undead she is a banchee. So...

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe its Maybelline?

10+ Year Old Account
    She could be patially a demon so demon could use any form.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Again: Even if we take ALL of the details regarding Sylvanas' unique situation into account...

They then made ALL Dark Rangers not decaying, regular looking elves with red eyes. (I'd say "paler skin" as well, but Elves already had entirely pale skin.)

So unless they're arguing that every single Dark Ranger followed the exact same process Sylvanas did (they most certainly did not), the reason is almost assuredly "Because it looked good."
    they did. every dark rangers is a former rangers that, after being made a banshee, possessed their original corpse...
    thats until cata, were the dark rangers included the troops trained by nathanos
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    The male gaze
    Lesbians have eyes too!

Because Undercity has excellent corpse-doctors/plastic surgeons.

In all seriousness though: fan-service probably.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Every forsaken has some characteristic that he/she's dead. Rotten, maybe a broken jaw, missing eye, bones showing etc.

But not Sylvanas. She just looks like a purple elf.

Is it just coomer bait, or is there some lore reason I've missed?
    Better necromancy means more intact appearance.
    Death Knights use the same principle, it's why you can distinguish between i.e. human and forsaken death knights.

Also there is the issue of vampirism being able to "heal" undead forms through various means. Forsaken can cannibalise and leech life a little, death knights have various life draining abilities and later on the San'layn seem like they might be the perfected form of what the Scourge first tried with Sylvanas.
    Last edited by loras; 2021-04-12 at 03:02 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

maybe elven bodies takes longer to rot /shrug