Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So I bought a ps5 on ebay.

The seller has 0 reviews, but I thought the 1200 5 star reviews was the sellers until after I bought. Turns out it was the reviews for the Ps5 itself. The description lists it as a Ps5 blueray edition. Assuming I either don't get the item, or the item is wrong, I can get my money back from Ebay correct? This is the first time I have bought something on Ebay.

It also seemed a little sketchy because I got it for 500 dollars which is the retail price. Idk why they would sell something for that unless they got it as a gift for someone and decided not to give the gift maybe? Either way, I did purchase it. I'M just a little apprehensive about it.

Edit: I got my money back. I contacted the seller and told them I wouldn't be texting them and that I was keeping any communication through eBay. They refunded me. eBay also emailed me and said something about how the seller has been removed after an investigation, so I suppose they were scammers. The dude on the refund receipt had a different name and sounded Indian.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2021-04-12 at 08:00 PM.

Make sure it wasn't a bot trap sale for a PICTURE of the PS5.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Gaming...e/224419458067

Thats what I bought. It does say "Sony gaming console White" in the title, but the description clearly says its a ps5 and even lists the correct Ps5 UPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Gaming...e/224419458067

Thats what I bought. It does say "Sony gaming console White" in the title, but the description clearly says its a ps5 and even lists the correct Ps5 UPC.
    „Please contact 3187546195 for all information on this product also feel free to contact me before purchase do not purchase unless you contacted me thanks!“

Did you read that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sámsa View Post
    „Please contact 3187546195 for all information on this product also feel free to contact me before purchase do not purchase unless you contacted me thanks!“

Did you read that?
    I did not, but I don't know why I would have to?

10+ Year Old Account
    MSRP on ebay seems kinda sketchy with how hard it is to buy one from retailers directly at this time, especially with a description as vague as that for what's being sold, from an account that's only two days old on ebay, no less.

That's my take on it anyway, at any rate if you get scammed that's a concern better directed at ebay support than this forum.

At least for me that’s a giant red flag and a known trick.

It is the same as writing in the description that it is only the box.

He banks on people not reading that.

He explicitly tells you to not buy it without getting in contact first

I did not, but I don't know why I would have to?
    Because they said to, that is why.

Other then that, few things. First, why would you wait until after purchasing from the sketchiest buyer you could find to confirm if you will get your money back? Second, its clearly a scam for all of the reasons you posted. No reviews. Wonky product description. Retail price despite usual scalpers selling it for more. But, there is more reason to know its a scam. The account was only created 2 days ago.

Third, don't assume you can get your money back if you willfully walk into a trap. There could be a loophole they know to not get you a refund or any number of things. Never willingly jump headfirst into an obvious scam.

In short, Its a clear scam. You shouldn't have bought it. Now you have to play by Ebays rules and time to get the money back, assuming they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Sámsa View Post
    He explicitly tells you to not buy it without getting in contact first
    Its a damned red alert not just red flag.

Im fairly sure dude you just scammed yourself.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Any PS5 that is listed at, or close to market price is a scam and honestly, you kinda deserve it for falling to such an obvious scam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Its a damned red alert not just red flag.

I'm fairly sure dude you just scammed yourself.
    I mean it's clearly advertised as a real PS5, so I don't see how the scam could work. I'm not texting them either. I sent a message directly through ebay. I suppose I'm naive. I've never used eBay before, so I didn't recognize any red flags other than the price.

Either way, if they don't respond to my message on ebay by tomorrow evening ill cancel my order.

It always depends on what you are buying. But regarding consumer products that are sold bye tons of sellers and are normally also sold in retail:

- avoid sellers without a really good reputation
    - that means 100% and lots of reviews. If they got less than 100% go check the reviews to see why
    - only pay via Ebay or PayPal. Look that you have buyers protection that is
    - make sure the product isr explicitly named in the description. Best case with the model id from the manufacturer
    - real sellers want to put as much information up as possible. They have zero reason to omit something. Otherwise they want to hide something
    Last edited by Sámsa; 2021-04-11 at 07:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it won't let me cancel it, so i suppose ill wait to see if it arrives. I would have had to cancel within an hour. If I don't get it ill file a return claim. I'm pretty sure I can get my money back.

I mean it's clearly advertised as a real PS5, so I don't see how the scam could work. I'm not texting them either. I sent a message directly through ebay. I suppose I'm naive. I've never used eBay before, so I didn't recognize any red flags other than the price.

Either way, if they don't respond to my message on ebay by tomorrow evening ill cancel my order.
    Wow, if this is real, i've never seen anyone except maybe my grandma being so gullible and naive on the internet....
    You 10000% got scammed bro and since it's ebay, you will probably not get your money back and glhf cancelling that order if seller already marked it as shipped, then only the seller can.

Why would you buy it if the price is same as retail? Not worth the risk at all.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bookmarking thread to see the end result.

Also, if it was close to retail price, why not just buy one from a retailer? It may take a little longer but at least you won't be scammed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Wow, if this is real, i've never seen anyone except maybe my grandma being so gullible and naive on the internet....
    You 10000% got scammed bro and since it's ebay, you will probably not get your money back and glhf cancelling that order if seller already marked it as shipped, then only the seller can.
    I mean ebay has a money-back guarantee. I don't see how I could get scammed. It might take a few weeks, but Ill get my money back.

I would never order from someone with a new account or low on score, and additionally what the others above said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it won't let me cancel it, so i suppose ill wait to see if it arrives. I would have had to cancel within an hour. If I don't get it ill file a return claim. I'm pretty sure I can get my money back.
    If they won't let you cancel it, or refuse a refund after you get scammed, do a charge-back through your bank.

Ebay won't like that and will likely ban you for going that route, but it can be a highly effective route for getting refunded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean ebay has a money-back guarantee. I don't see how I could get scammed. It might take a few weeks, but Ill get my money back.
    eBay has a money back guarantee if you don't receive what you bought.

If you got what you paid for - as laid out in the description - such as an empty box, then you won't get anything back.

They don't have a money back guarantee if you bought something you shouldn't have for a price you shouldn't have.