Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Tech alpha discussion

Got into the tech alpha today for D2R and overall very impressed. Graphics are very nice looking and give the game a very eerie feel. I like how they kept most things the same in terms of gameplay.

Since everything is so similar I wonder if they'll let regular D2 players play with the remastered folks (kind of like SC Remastered), but I'm guessing probably no?

Anyone else get in?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    Got into the tech alpha today for D2R and overall very impressed. Graphics are very nice looking and give the game a very eerie feel. I like how they kept most things the same in terms of gameplay.

Since everything is so similar I wonder if they'll let regular D2 players play with the remastered folks (kind of like SC Remastered), but I'm guessing probably no?

Anyone else get in?
    I'm not completely up on the engineering behind the title, but it's supposedly built on the same engine. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why it's so easy to swap between the 2 graphic modes. I remember one of the artist talking about the challenges of introducing 3D objects into what's ultimately a 2D designed world. On that side, maybe you can play between the 2.

Since D2:R online will be on a modern battle.bet integration, there'll be no cross play between the old client and the new.

It's as much to combat the bots running amock in the original game.

Even just the fact that there's an account wide stash and characters/accounts don't get deleted after X amount of time is already enough of a difference that the game versions aren't really cross compatible, but the battle.net integration definitely seals the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    I already feel at this point the game isn't going to be another Warcraft: Reforged situation. From everything I have seen of Diablo 2: Resurrected Its already a vast improvement, one that already makes me feel they either learned from that hot mess, or makes me yell 'why didn't they do this with reforged'. One example is the graphics toggle, pretty much anywhere at anytime. I love this feature, apparently there are some audio upgrades that keep faithful to as well as enhanced ambience too. I love my ambience. I love the detail int he creatures now too, everything looks so smoothly while staying very faithful to their models. Like those Yeti things look nothing like how I thought they did through all the pixels of the original

The only thing left is the promised updated cinematics which are going to be remade, not reshot, as in with current day graphics over the old cinematics, so I can only imagine they'll let you toggle over the cinematics too which will be awesome. As well as them NOT replacing voice actors either which I am so happy for. Only that the voices will be cleaned up in the audio.

Only downside is that due to the current Battlenet client (and the technical advances of over 20 years) I will miss the old lobby's

Gem Activated

also slight nick pick is the downplay to the sexualized Amazon, especially when there is still a lot of boobage and butt in the game, that poor Amazon took a bullet for us... Be thankful :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-04-10 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I already feel at this point the game isn't going to be another Warcraft: Reforged situation. From everything I have seen of Diablo 2: Resurected Its alreayd a vast improvement, one that already makes me feel they either learned from that hot mess, or makes me yell 'why didn't they do this with reforged'. One example is the graphics toggle, pretty much anywhere at anytime. I love this feature, apparently there are some audio upgrades that keep faithful to as well as enhanced ambience too. I love my ambience.

The only thing left is the promised updated cinematics which are going to be remade, not reshot, as in with current day graphics over the old cinematics, so I can only imagine they'll let you toggle over the cinematics too which will be awesome. As well as them NOT replacing voice actors either which I am so happy for. Only that the voices will be cleaned up in the audio.

Only downside is that due to the current Battlenet client (and the technical advances of over 20 years) I will miss the old lobby's

Gem Activated

also slight nick pick is the downplay to the sexualized Amazon, especially when there is still a lot of boobage and butt in the game, that poor Amazon took a bullet for us... :P
    The amazon thing is kinda weird to me, are we really more prudish in 2021 than we were in 2001? It's just a bit of thigh.. Other than that the games' looking really good. Seems very smooth and the new spell effects look awesome with modern lighting. Voice acting was perfect so I'm glad they're keeping it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    The amazon thing is kinda weird to me, are we really more prudish in 2021 than we were in 2001? It's just a bit of thigh.. Other than that the games' looking really good. Seems very smooth and the new spell effects look awesome with modern lighting. Voice acting was perfect so I'm glad they're keeping it.
    Yea I don't wanna dwell too much on it. Because the remaster is very good so far. As I said due to how good the rest of the game is, it really is a nit pick at this point.

It's not really about being prudish. It's more about not needing to be overtly sexualized. It's the whole edgy boobs and blood = maturity crap from the 90-00s that isn't necessary no matter how much people try to bend over backwards to make excused for.

10+ Year Old Account
    The amazon thing is kinda weird to me, are we really more prudish in 2021 than we were in 2001?
    Yes, there is this whole forced neo-prude thing going on for a while.

Everyone is terrified of prospect of being singled out due to having a bit more skin than your nearest critic ready to pounce with big flashy controversy titles can handle. Last thing ActiBlizz wants is to trigger that bullshit.

Guess D2 remaster will be toned down there as other titles, say thanks it's not full gowns there... yet.

OH god, I looked at the Amazon and they really botched that model, does not look that good compared to the original.

I hope the Bnet Experience is reminiscent of the original bnet (w/ channels, character models on bottom, etc. etc.)

Vicarious Visions have been working hard it looks like. I'm so hyped for this. I think it's alright for people to be a bit cautious with this, but VV knows how to remake a game. It's safe to say this won't be another WCIII:Refunded

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    It's not really about being prudish. It's more about not needing to be overtly sexualized. It's the whole edgy boobs and blood = maturity crap from the 90-00s that isn't necessary no matter how much people try to bend over backwards to make excused for.
    Everyone's a piece of meat who's only purpose is to reproduce. Everyone's a sexual being. Let shit be sexualized. Normalize sexualizing men so things are equal. Otherwise then wtf is the point lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yes, there is this whole forced neo-prude thing going on for a while.

Everyone is terrified of prospect of being singled out due to having a bit more skin than your nearest critic ready to pounce with big flashy controversy titles can handle. Last thing ActiBlizz wants is to trigger that bullshit.

Guess D2 remaster will be toned down there as other titles, say thanks it's not full gowns there... yet.
    Ironic, isn't it? Especially when it comes from people who also claim women should dress however they want. Which I support, but c'mon. Censoring shit is just the opposite of that.
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2021-04-10 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    That's a wild and sad(in a way)way to look at things and life. Granted, you're entitled to your opinion and if being miserable suits you, who am I to really argue about that. I am sorry you're always so angry.

On topic: I play D2 when it was cool and I tried, really hard actually, to get into D2 again after enjoying d3. The graphics are what turned me off. Contrary to popular belief, breasts and appendages aren't on my initial list of thoughts when "modern graphics" come to mind. I must be too old to understand why everything is breasts and appendages. The new graphics are what will bring me back to a game I really enjoyed. Playing D2 was a strong highlight of me keeping busy on the weekends when my friends went home at college. Looking forward to it.

Edit: Do you even have access to the beta? My wife was invited to the beta and I don't see an overwhelming amount of skin at all on the current characters. Maybe I'm missing something entirely
    Last edited by Erous; 2021-04-10 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Everyone's a piece of meat who's only purpose is to reproduce. Everyone's a sexual being. Let shit be sexualized. Normalize sexualizing men so things are equal. Otherwise then wtf is the point lol
    It is normalized to a point it never comes up even close to a topic of discussion even.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Oh what a surprise that the changes made to the Amazon was going to call out the waahmbulances...

The game looks great, my only reason for not playing D2 was the graphics causing me eyestrain on my shitty comp and screen where D3 did not.
    Can't wait to get my hands on this remaster, assuming they don't wreck it further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Oh what a surprise that the changes made to the Amazon was going to call out the waahmbulances...

The game looks great, my only reason for not playing D2 was the graphics causing me eyestrain on my shitty comp and screen where D3 did not.
    Can't wait to get my hands on this remaster, assuming they don't wreck it further down the road.
    Personally Idc about it. Doesn't ruin the game for me what so ever. But I do think censorship is quite silly, and regressive. Why are people so afraid of sexy women? Nobody's afraid of a sexy man.

I think you can totally trust they won't ruin the remaster. Check out VV's job on the Crash Bandicoot trilogy! They did a wonderful job of capturing the original's essence.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    That's a wild and sad(in a way)way to look at things and life. Granted, you're entitled to your opinion and if being miserable suits you, who am I to really argue about that. I am sorry you're always so angry.

On topic: I play D2 when it was cool and I tried, really hard actually, to get into D2 again after enjoying d3. The graphics are what turned me off. Contrary to popular belief, breasts and appendages aren't on my initial list of thoughts when "modern graphics" come to mind. I must be too old to understand why everything is breasts and appendages. The new graphics are what will bring me back to a game I really enjoyed. Playing D2 was a strong highlight of me keeping busy on the weekends when my friends went home at college. Looking forward to it.

Edit: Do you even have access to the beta? My wife was invited to the beta and I don't see an overwhelming amount of skin at all on the current characters. Maybe I'm missing something entirely
    Just because I don't need to overly sexualize women and don't need to see pixelized tits means I have a miserable existence? Get real. And yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Vicarious Visions have been working hard it looks like. I'm so hyped for this. I think it's alright for people to be a bit cautious with this, but VV knows how to remake a game. It's safe to say this won't be another WCIII:Refunded

- - - Updated - - -

Ironic, isn't it? Especially when it comes from people who also claim women should dress however they want. Which I support, but c'mon. Censoring shit is just the opposite of that.
    Would be fine if we were still primal animals with no societies. I'm not saying we don't have that inner desire to reproduce. I believe that is lifes only purpose, but we have evolved past just that.

What is the point? So all you do is fuck and eat then nothing else?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am looking forward to replaying Druid again, or as it appears Liam Neeson as Druid :P

Last edited by Orby; 2021-04-11 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I'm not completely up on the engineering behind the title, but it's supposedly built on the same engine. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why it's so easy to swap between the 2 graphic modes. I remember one of the artist talking about the challenges of introducing 3D objects into what's ultimately a 2D designed world. On that side, maybe you can play between the 2.
    It is the same engine, the new graphics are running over the top of the old engine and you should be able to switch between them on the fly, its similar to the same magic Halo 2 MCC uses.

This really should shorten the amount of time it takes to complete the remaster as they only have to focus on the new graphics, QOL changes
    and tweaks and not need to rebuild the entire game again.

Got into Alpha aswell. I was really suprised about how smooth and enjoyable the game is and im loving it. The fact the game has been left untouched is what makes it good.

QoL changes are welcome and not intrusive. The swap on the fly between old and new graphics is awesome.

The game feels old, as it should be. Stuff like collisions and animation getting canceled due to hits, etc. It's annoying since i got used to newer games, but the experience is both kept original amd refreshed.

Don't know how much of this is just nostalgia. Tech wise, VV has done a great job from what i've seen.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

What are you talking about?

Hope this does well. I've quit WoW for good, need a Diablo fix till D4 comes out. I've gotten betas before for Blizz games but had no interest with them... this on the other hand; Gimme!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-04-11 at 11:37 AM.