Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Absolutely not. It's dangerous. Most chicken is cooked well beyond the point anything you could wash off is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    The CDC says do not wash your chicken. You will spread germs everywhere on -everything- and your chicken will be worse than it was before washing.
    Absolutely not. I'd have to sanitize every square inch of the kitchen every single time I washed chicken, so several times a week. What an obnoxious disaster of germs that'd be.

Also you're throwing chicken into a pot that will be either presumably boiling or pan frying that chicken, well in excess of any temperature that germs could live it. Washing it is superfluous.

10+ Year Old Account
    How? I can barely do some french fries, or some rice, and you guys are asking me if i wash my chicken? Really... I can't cook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like I'm done washing my chicken before I cook it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    How? I can barely do some french fries, or some rice, and you guys are asking me if i wash my chicken? Really... I can't cook.
    There's recipes online and also don't wash your rice either
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

debatable, depending on what effect you are going for.

I'm 99.99% sure that people either didn't see or didn't watch previous video I linked

but lets just say people who wash meats... or rice are not doing it for cleaning off bacteria reasons.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    No don't wash you chicken before cooking if you get it from a store. Doing so can wash away oils and fats that add to the taste. Just make sure you thoroughly cook it to kill bacteria and you are golden.

Now if you slaughter you own chickens then I have no idea what to do, sadly I didn't grow up on a farm and learn how to defeather/drain the blood/ect. . . when it comes to full self preparation of live stock.

No. Firstly there are many different types of rice. Secondly, washing rice does affect the outcome depending on the preparation. This is inclusive of washing rice just before cooking, soaking, overfilling, and wash & rinse and wash & sift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some rice you have to wash, some you don't. Some benefit from it, some don't. Depends entirely on the kind of rice you have and what you're going for.
    Just as a quick example, sushi rice *needs* to be washed or it doesn't work properly

10+ Year Old Account
    I wash everything before I cook it, because I don't know where the hell was it stored, dragged through and tossed at for all these weeks/months before I got my hands on it. And double that with C19 around.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I wash everything before I cook it, because I don't know where the hell was it stored, dragged through and tossed at for all these weeks/months before I got my hands on it. And double that with C19 around.
    you'll spread microorganisms, germs and stuff everywhere
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    But at least I won't consume all off the shit and chemicals they spray produce with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont wash store bought chickens. I just pat them down or wipe as needed.

If it's a fresh kill from the farm or a game bird. I'll give it a quick wash after plucking and gutting it. I keep this station separate from any butchering or kitchen prep area.

Wait why not wash your rice? It gets all crusty on the bottom if you don’t. Might be what you’re going for but I think its disgusting.

I don't really understand this "argument". It is a kitchen sink. Spreading this stuff is why they are steel or what what what and easy to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Wait why not wash your rice? It gets all crusty on the bottom if you don’t. Might be what you’re going for but I think its disgusting.
    Depends on the rice, I don't think basmati needs to be washed to avoid the above situation. Again, here, unless you like eating grains of sand you wash your rice.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't run their chicken through water just to make sure there's no bone fragment or some shit that made through the packing process? Not really a problem if your are getting massed produced stuff from Tyson or whatever but it happens if you have a butcher preparing cuts in shop.

I bet yall don't wet your toothbrush either.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I put my chicken into the glass pot with a fork. Then i toss the fork into the washing machine, and the glass pot into the oven. Chicken contamination avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Not all rice has that effect and not all 4ice is prepared in the manner you might be thinking of. Rice as a food and preparation of rice is incredibly diverse. It's consumed all around the world by many different and distinct cultures.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The CDC says do not wash your chicken. You will spread germs everywhere on -everything- and your chicken will be worse than it was before washing.
    I found the CDC link. It's interesting that it's really saying "don't be stupid washing your raw chicken before cooking", because seriously, who is washing their chicken on the countertop? I do rinse my raw chicken, in the sink, briefly with cool water - although I may stop now, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Depends on the rice, I don't think basmati needs to be washed to avoid the above situation. Again, here, unless you like eating grains of sand you wash your rice.
    This is not entirely correct. Basmati is often soaked in water for about half and hour or so then rinsed. And cooked in various ways.

Rice can only absorb X amount of liquid/water. It's why the ratios are consistent and how commercial and foodservice preparation can be and is so exact and repeatable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Not really a problem if your are getting massed produced stuff from Tyson or whatever but it happens if you have a butcher preparing cuts in shop.
    This would be bad butchering if so. It would mean the butcher did not burnish their breaking or filet knife correctly. Or their saw blades (primal breaks) are not being maintained properly- which is a bigger risk to the product than your checking for bone shards in some cases.

Even slaughtering and breaking down a chicken whole would have almost no bone shards with the right technique. I've done it. Not only did I own chickens but I am also a certified butcher.

In the US and most of Western Europe, fresh butchered meats are at a high premium. So it would be unusual in any case for such poor butchering to cause a mass of chicken washing based on product quality.

Even giving you 100% benefit of the doubt here; when you freshly slaughter and break down a chicken, soaking is the way to clean the product. Not running underwater or washing in the preparation workspace.

For example, when I was working in Mexico, we soaked the fresh chickens in 5-gallon tubs in a wet walk-in away from the kitchen and cutting floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby
    I do rinse my raw chicken, in the sink, briefly with cool water - although I may stop now, of course.
    This is the most dangerous way. The water hitting the skin and flesh of the product causing a small enough spray of contaminants that go all over. Like absolutely everywhere and it's not immediately noticeable at all. You create a contamination vapor if you will.

If you must clean the product, soak it in a large tub of water gently. You can look up how to do this and it is typical in rural and unincorporated areas around the world.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-04-12 at 11:58 PM.