Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://wccftech.com/ps4-no-offline-games-cmos/

and in a further extension of this ball gathering moss its no longer rumour but confirmed that the CMOS battery in PS4's, which on average have a lifespan of five years, will render the system unable to play digital AND physical games once it dies due to some fucked up psn trophy synch design. The console will no longer be able to ascertain if you are playing a legitimate PS4 game disc and refuse to boot it at all. Luckily it looks like anyone with a bit of know how and a a screwdriver can open up their console and replace it and unlike a few gens ago doesn't appear to require soldering either and that *should* solve it but thats right now. When Sony cuts the PS4 off the PSN too eventually this will be the default the cmos is just simulating early and the console may just become a brick that refuses to boot games at all without the trophy/patch prompts there anymore.

Hopefully they find a work around but given their current "its not our current hardware so its abandoned" status for everything pre PS4 i don't see the current leadership wanting to try and do this when they can say "but we have a console that still plays those games, its called the playstation 5" instead.
    Ok...weird that we've not seen any reports of this like...actually happening in the 8 years the PS4 has been out? I mean, I guess if Sony ever fully pulls down PSN it's a problem?

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021...oading_patches

and people who panic bought physical copies of limited run PS3 games about to lose their digital editions are finding Sony already started to stop patching which in some cases means game breaking bugs can never be resolved.

Boy this is going to be a fun month for Sony PR.
    Lame, but I imagine this is a bug. And honestly, I doubt Sony PR will have to deal with this. So far it's a tiny hyperminority that's actually still playing anything on PS3 nowadays. I get that this is all great food for drama llama's and whatnot, but it's not as significant as I think y'all think it is.

Edit: https://www.siliconera.com/certain-p...pdate-patches/

Seems to be a database bug, not some nefarious plan to keep your patches away from you.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-04-12 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    If that is the case, they will get sued for false advertising. They can't brick the consoles like that. I am not believing that story.
    technically you can replace the battery so in the short term till they drop ps4 support that can cover them. Thats just an inconvenience when even the wii U had a slot to just swap the CMOS out in seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ok...weird that we've not seen any reports of this like...actually happening in the 8 years the PS4 has been out? I mean, I guess if Sony ever fully pulls down PSN it's a problem?
    I would imagine its just a case of people not knowing assuming they bricked their console and sending it off to be refurbished. How many times do people know or ask what the problem is rather than just want their console repaired and working again right? i dont know the specific reason my 360 red ringed and there was like four or five design flaws causing that. It was just broken and i sent it in for repairs and never bothered to see if one cause was more common than others. I wouldn't be surprised if this has been happening a lot but right now while they are covered its not a huge issue.

I would imagine its just a case of people not knowing assuming they bricked their console and sending it off to be refurbished.
    Maybe, but if so it would be isolated enough to not pop up on anyone's radar for well over half a decade. And considering we routinely see reports of issues impacting a minority of users, makes me question whether this has ever actually happened to a user naturally.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been happening a lot but right now while they are covered its not a huge issue.
    If it was happening in any meaningful amount, or really at all, it would be reported on. Hardware drama drives HUGE clicks, regardless of if something is a real issue or not.

I just don't get the argument the article has. Like, if another TLOU remaster or a remake sells, then clearly some people will have wanted it. Personally, I'll buy it 100% bc it's an amazing game. Further, the opinion that sony is focusing on AAA titles is somehow a bad thing blows my mind. If all I wanted to do was play indie games or half-assed cash cows, I would just play on my phone more.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I just don't get the argument the article has. Like, if another TLOU remaster or a remake sells, then clearly some people will have wanted it. Personally, I'll buy it 100% bc it's an amazing game. Further, the opinion that sony is focusing on AAA titles is somehow a bad thing blows my mind. If all I wanted to do was play indie games or half-assed cash cows, I would just play on my phone more.
    There is more to games then indies and AAA games, there is a middle group that is AA games. That is the part it seems Sony is no longer giving a shit about. They just want to put out AAA games and let indies do their thing.

So we won't get smaller titles like gravity rush.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The first TLOU has a PS4 remaster. That remaster runs on the PS5, there’s no room for doubt about that or availability on PSN there.
    i was talking in general term not about this game specific -.-
    guess i used wrong expression since english isn't my first language
    i meant that older generation games on ps usually don't work or work very poorly
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Video games in general are now occupying the same space as cinema.

So just like you need a certain number of Avengers', Spider Man, Transformers or other big Blockbuster title to then fund whatever art-house, indie, sensitive fancy period drama or documentary about the importance of snails and such.

If they get lucky they'll get things that'll overlap like God of War being both this hugely amazing triple A game but also being as deeply emotional as games like Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    They should make a Legend of the Dragoon or Legend of Legaia Remake/Remaster... you know games that have been dormant since PS1.
    omg words from the gods. YES. Original starocean also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dymonic View Post
    Fighting against a warlock is about being under a constant barrage of smaller spells that chip away at your health. During the fight you would constantly be trying to do enough damage to the warlock to kill him before his spells build to critical mass, killing you. Warlocks prefer a very blatant display of their power. Walking around with their minions, or having their spells scorch the very earth they are battling upon

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I have 4 old IPs I always want restored. One is Legend of Dragoon, lol. Loved that game.
    If I remember correctly, The Legend of Dragoon mistake was to come out nearly at the same time as FFVIX. It was automatically compared to it (as well as VIII) and of course it couldn't compete with the hype an name of a new Final Fantasy. Im sure had it been reviewed on its own merit, it would have fared better, even if it wasn't as great as the FF games.

Other games from the era that totally need a remake are Alundra or Tombi lol

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    You should go find out what the Word remaster means since TLOU in ps4 is a perfect example for it.
    It's a fucking port lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    It's a fucking port lmao
    A remastered port, yes. That's what remasters are, just slightly up-ressing an existing game, usually for a new platform. It added higher resolution textures and better framerates, that's literally what remasters usually do.

A remastered port, yes. That's what remasters are, just slightly up-ressing an existing game, usually for a new platform. It added higher resolution textures and better framerates, that's literally what remasters usually do.
    That's what porting it from PS3 to PS4 is gonna do. We don't walk around calling AC:Valhalla a remaster do we?

That's what porting it from PS3 to PS4 is gonna do. We don't walk around calling AC:Valhalla a remaster do we?
    No, it doesn't. It requires extra work to add the higher res textures and, if they up the framerate, make sure that doesn't cause any issues (if it's tied to game logic etc.)

AC:V isn't a remaster, it's a title natively released on both last and current-gen consoles. Different beast entirely my dude.

It's a fucking port lmao
    Yes? With updated graphics/texture resolution, higher FPS limit. Exactly what a remaster is dude. What don't you understand?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Censoring isn't inclusive.
    It kinda can be. If you have a piece of Media with a lot of racial slurs or stereotypes and then remake it with them taken out people would absolutely say you were censoring it but by doing so you could very well expand the market to the race that was targets by said slurs or stereotypes, ie being inclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    They should make a Legend of the Dragoon or Legend of Legaia Remake/Remaster... you know games that have been dormant since PS1.
    LOD is the only PS1 game I still play to this day, most games from the 90s I can't bare. The graphics are so outdated that even reading the chat bubbles is painful. But LOD? hook it the fuck up, someone needs to start a gofundme I would donate to get that remastered. Not like FF7, I don't want the game completely remade and ruined all nostalgia. I want it remastered, smoothed out, looking nice but still the same.

LAVITZ LIVES MATTER!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Sony doesn't have mod capability does it? I don't think that console will ever be a real "thing" amongst gamers, maybe amongst consumers.

Especially if Ashes of Creation pops off and then especially if some of these indie games pop off and then you have Path of Exile 2 and Diablo 4, doesn't matter which one you like, playing them on Playstation is dog crap.
    Your Playstation will become a giant brick if those games take off and you decide you want to try them.

Elder Scrolls 6? Can't mod it in on Playstation? GGWP.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Sony doesn't have mod capability does it? I don't think that console will ever be a real "thing" amongst gamers, maybe amongst consumers.

Especially if Ashes of Creation pops off and then especially if some of these indie games pop off and then you have Path of Exile 2 and Diablo 4, doesn't matter which one you like, playing them on Playstation is dog crap.
    Your Playstation will become a giant brick if those games take off and you decide you want to try them.

Elder Scrolls 6? Can't mod it in on Playstation? GGWP.
    Neither console does, nor does the Switch. Yet they've all been "Real things" for decades now, even amongst gamers.

Ashes is...not gonna set the gaming world on fire. If it ever comes out. POE2 and D4 will both be on PS5 as POE/D3 are on PS4/XBone. Neither has been hurt by any features lacking from the PC side of things.

And ES6 might be Xbox exclusive, and if it isn't it will be no different than ES5 or FO4 were in terms of console mod support.

15+ Year Old Account
    Neither console does, nor does the Switch. Yet they've all been "Real things" for decades now, even amongst gamers.

Ashes is...not gonna set the gaming world on fire. If it ever comes out. POE2 and D4 will both be on PS5 as POE/D3 are on PS4/XBone. Neither has been hurt by any features lacking from the PC side of things.

And ES6 might be Xbox exclusive, and if it isn't it will be no different than ES5 or FO4 were in terms of console mod support.
    I mean my point still stands. You won't be able to mod on Playstation and Diablo 4 and Path of Exile suck balls to play on Playstation.

You must be a cynical psychic since you know Ashes of Creation's future. Same with PoE 2, console support isn't confirmed.

It will be no different, aka, sucks balls to play on Playstation.

In other words, you won't want a Playstation, so in other words, the Playstation won't be a real "thing" for gamers.