Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    And even that's questionable - https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-think...ession-1577046

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/stat...79118406320129

"Trump didn't actually mean it when he told us to get vaccinated!"

I'm like, not gonna be sad if Republicans self-select themselves out of reality and literally kill the parties chances of electability.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And even that's questionable - https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-think...ession-1577046

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/stat...79118406320129

"Trump didn't actually mean it when he told us to get vaccinated!"

I'm like, not gonna be sad if Republicans self-select themselves out of reality and literally kill the parties chances of electability.
    The problem is though they're going to make it harder for the sane more responsible people to get back to normal life. Republicans spent 4+ years saying they will make America great again, of course they meant a time when racism flourished more so than it is now, but I think getting life back to normal before Covid would help America be great again and the Republicans are the ones standing in the way of that, they are literally making America worse.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...inst-rep-clyde

Republicans keep avoiding metal detectors. Rep. Clyde, who has done it twice, appealed the total $15K in fines ($5K for the first, $10K for the second) and lost. Thankfully, the $15K comes out of his pay and he can't crowdfund the fine from his donors.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...inst-rep-clyde

Republicans keep avoiding metal detectors. Rep. Clyde, who has done it twice, appealed the total $15K in fines ($5K for the first, $10K for the second) and lost. Thankfully, the $15K comes out of his pay and he can't crowdfund the fine from his donors.
    It's just more of the "rules for thee, not me" crowd of Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    It's just more of the "rules for thee, not me" crowd of Republicans.
    Hey, I'm fine with it. If these guys wanna spend their entire salaries on fines for avoiding a simple metal detector, have at it.

I guess some may be worried their 10 inch knives may be discovered so they can't threaten the Speaker just off the House floor by holding a knife to their throat?

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    The safety measures are to protect others as much as they are for yourself and as robust as Biden's vaccine rollout has been there are still many millions of people who do not yet have access. In high-population states/areas that means the safety measures need to be enforced. Throwing your hands up and saying "welp, stupid people would still be stupid if I did my job" isn't an option when you're governor. Relaxing those measures was a dumb move and refusing to do anything further to correct that mistake is doubly dumb.
    That's vastly oversimplifying the response if she closed things down. There are measures each individual can take without a mandate in terms of covid that will more than likely protect them. If a person refuses to take those measures, we can still protect ourselves from them, by wearing masks and social distancing. A violent attempted overthrow of the state government is another matter entirely, which is where they are headed if she does anything else. Its a shitty, shitty position and is nowhere near as binary as you're making it.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    A violent attempted overthrow of the state government is another matter entirely, which is where they are headed if she does anything else.
    I mean...it was being actively planned, including plans to either occupy the Capitol building and kill officials as well as a plan to kidnap Whitmer.

She shouldn't be afraid of these petty wannabe authoritarians. Lock them all up as they out themselves and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    A violent attempted overthrow of the state government is another matter entirely, which is where they are headed if she does anything else. Its a shitty, shitty position and is nowhere near as binary as you're making it.
    1. Let them try. Didn't end up well for the others that made the attempt. Fuck 'em.
    2. "Try to mitigate the damage" versus "let it spiral out of control" is a pretty basic decision. As I said before, I admitted her position wasn't enviable at the start, but she has a job to do and isn't doing it.

We're done here.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    i tell you i saw clips of Idiocracy.....and my god.....its coming true
    \
    i might have to go watch the movie just to keep up with republican-trumpers
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel like this may have been covered but...is anyone else amused that Republicans literally gave Trump a participation trophy?
    I prefer the article itself -- Senate Republicans gave Trump that award just before he started calling McConnell a dumb fucking sonofavitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    1. Let them try. Didn't end up well for the others that made the attempt. Fuck 'em.
    2. "Try to mitigate the damage" versus "let it spiral out of control" is a pretty basic decision. As I said before, I admitted her position wasn't enviable at the start, but she has a job to do and isn't doing it.

We're done here.
    Storming the capital while armed is things spiraling out of control as well.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...sident-in-2024

As a reminder that the GOP is still the party of Trump: Establishment friendly Nikki Haley is happy to bend the knee and bow out rather than challenge Trump in 2024.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a reminder that the GOP is still the party of Trump: Establishment friendly Nikki Haley is happy to bend the knee and bow out rather than challenge Trump in 2024.
    They feel they have no choice. Trump is out-raising the RNC. and while he's off FB and Twitter, we've all seen the website application to have him bitch about how the election was stolen at weddings and brithday parties.

What's left of the Republican Party could take it back from Trump, if they wanted to. But they'd have to
    a) all rush him at once, and
    b) come up with a reason for his rabid fanbase to side with the "traitors". Honestly at this point, the only thing that might turn off the rabid fanbase are Trump forcing one of his wives and/or whores to have an abortion against her will. I mean, they sided with him through an actual murderous insurrection, so something minor like "he is a felon and went to jail" won't be sufficient.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...umb-son-of-a-b

Asked about if he had any response to his parties leader calling him a "dumb son of a bitch", Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had this to say:

That's the joke, he stayed silent as Trump moved on him like a bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    2024 is going to be... interesting.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    2024 is going to be... interesting.
    I'm looking forward to the Republican party simping hard for Trump, hopefully getting absolutely clobbered, and then trying to figure out what the fuck to do next when it all starts falling apart as the fingers start getting pointed at everyone.

Like, the likes of Nikki Haley, who was once viewed as a rising star in the Republican party and an appeal to a more diverse electorate, much like Marco Rubio once was just a few short years before her, aren't gonna be able to pretend that they didn't bend the knee for Trump at almost every turn and personally greased the wheels for Trump's triumphant return.

It's just really showing how absolutely empty, hollow, and completely ideologically bankrupt the party that is not the actual cult of personality has become. It's hilarious thinking back to the Republican criticisms of Democrats because we thought Obama was a pretty cool cat, compared to the guy that's literally the Second Coming.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...umb-son-of-a-b

Asked about if he had any response to his parties leader calling him a "dumb son of a bitch", Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had this to say:

That's the joke, he stayed silent as Trump moved on him like a bitch.
    I would call that a win for McConnell. Don't get me wrong, I hate the SOB, but I can't help admiring how he plays the game. Not responding to the childish and literal name-calling profanities just makes McConnell the only adult in the room.

Trump might be out fundraising Trump, but McConnell is still the statesman that Trump will so desperately never be.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking forward to the Republican party simping hard for Trump, hopefully getting absolutely clobbered, and then trying to figure out what the fuck to do next when it all starts falling apart as the fingers start getting pointed at everyone.

Like, the likes of Nikki Haley, who was once viewed as a rising star in the Republican party and an appeal to a more diverse electorate, much like Marco Rubio once was just a few short years before her, aren't gonna be able to pretend that they didn't bend the knee for Trump at almost every turn and personally greased the wheels for Trump's triumphant return.

It's just really showing how absolutely empty, hollow, and completely ideologically bankrupt the party that is not the actual cult of personality has become. It's hilarious thinking back to the Republican criticisms of Democrats because we thought Obama was a pretty cool cat, compared to the guy that's literally the Second Coming.
    That kind of scenario would be great for 2024 - the GOP not knowing how to deal with Trump, and therefore defacto giving him the nomination for 2024. That would remove Nikki from the equation for another 8 years, and give Harris a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I hate the SOB, but I can't help admiring how he plays the game.
    Indeed, McConnell is the ultimate whore. Nobody's taken as much money to be pissed on.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're desperate and surrounded, it's understandable you might fire blindly in all directions, hoping to hit something.

Just don't aim at your own feet.

In 2019 NYState passed the TRUST Act, not just allowing but requiring NYState to turn over tax returns of public officials when Congress asks, even if they're a President's. Trump's lawyers argue in court that, because Trump is no longer in the White House, this no longer applies.

"Wait, isn't the reason it took this long because Trump's lawyers were using the protection of the White House, hence requiring the TRUST Act in the first place? Like, if Trump had just been like any other felon, this would have been over years ago?"

Yes.

"And isn't the reason the taxes weren't turned over while Trump was still in the White House, because he just didn't do it?"

Well, basically, yes.

"This is some bullshit, right here."

Right now, Congress must give Trump a 14-day head start before getting NYState's returns, an order placed when Trump was still in charge.

"Didn't Trump say he was going to prosecute Clinton for things she did in office, when she was out of office? He clearly doesn't believe his own rhetoric. Also his time to challenge the NYState law has come and gone."

It has, but oddly enough, he seems to be helped by Congress not going after his NYState returns but his federal ones. I don't see why, NYState returns contain federal info and NYState would hand them over for the flimsiest excuse possible at this point. Congress is instead asking the IRS for his returns, which Biden's people will almost certainly agree to cooperate.

Trump's actions are akin to a murderer fighting a subpoena asking for his gun, because the murder already happened so the gun isn't relevant. Trump held unPresidented power, assigning acting roles and bypassing security checks like none before. Since Trump used his own powers to block any inquiry into a security breach while it was happening, the only recourse now is to check for one after the fact.

This attempt to prevent the truth from getting out is deoomed. Trump is surrounded.

1) This most recent filing could easily fail, seeing as how Congress gave Trump extra protection because he was in the WH, and by his own arguments those protections should no longer apply.

2) Or, Congress could just get Biden to hand them over, probably smiling.

3) Or, NY's fraud case could just use them directly.

4) Or, someone who I'll cheer for as he's taken to jail could just leak the tax returns for a lot of money and press.

Honestly, at this point, the best way for Trump to hide his taxes and what's got to be multiple felonies and/or national security risks at this point is, well, to die. That's the only thing I can think of that will people to stop caring about all that stuff he did.