Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's...not it at all, not remotely.

Believe it or not, most gamers just don't care that much about some outrageously crowdfunded space game for super hardcore space sim PC fans. And really, if you're not into the game there's really not much reporting on anyways as it goes through development. It gets a decent amount of news coverage with each update, it's just not that interesting to most folks.
    Likely due to the fact that the genre has effectively been dead since the late 90's. I can get why a lot of young gamers don't care about it, but us older gamers (mid 30's to 50's), care about some of these genres because they were a huge part of our youths.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's...not it at all, not remotely.

Believe it or not, most gamers just don't care that much about some outrageously crowdfunded space game for super hardcore space sim PC fans. And really, if you're not into the game there's really not much reporting on anyways as it goes through development. It gets a decent amount of news coverage with each update, it's just not that interesting to most folks.
    I would have to respectfully disagree @Edge. I mean in this thread alone the news articles that are posted from game journalists are a few to several years old, but the youtube videos concerning news about SC are current date to several years old. I think that shows a shift in where gamers are getting gaming news/information from. I know I stopped read sites like Kotaku, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, ect. . . a few years ago when they just became sites that just posted wholesale press releases and/or editorial/opinion pieces. At that time I started watching people like TotalBiscuit, LegacyKillaHD, ect. . . for more informative fact based, with a bit of editorial commentary for my gaming news.

Hell as wrong as his comparisons and usage of Twitch numbers are even Anderson is using things other that gaming journalism websites to try and get his point across these last 2 or so years.

As for it being a niche game that is true, but once upon a time it did have the promise of bringing back the days when space sims/space dog fighting games/space opera centered RPGs were basking in the light of high popularity. When I first saw this back 2012 I thought that the days of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter/KOTOR/EVE Online could be coming back all rolled into one massive exciting game.

10+ Year Old Account
    should there be more ship weapon types? i mean, they all come down to being lasers with travel time like in star wars. maybe only the banu (alien race ship) has a different weapon as its hitscan. i understand this is a space sim, a simulator, so it must rely on players skill to fly, aim and shoot, but eve online has much more variety in that department, no? lead shell projectiles, artillery, lasers, railguns, even recently added disintegration beams

idk, to me every ship seems the same because of weapons, theres no variety in how they work. only looks
    correct me of im wrong
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    should there be more ship weapon types? i mean, they all come down to being lasers with travel time like in star wars. maybe only the banu (alien race ship) has a different weapon as its hitscan. i understand this is a space sim, a simulator, so it must rely on players skill to fly, aim and shoot, but eve online has much more variety in that department, no? lead shell projectiles, artillery, lasers, railguns, even recently added disintegration beams

idk, to me every ship seems the same because of weapons, theres no variety in how they work. only looks
    correct me of im wrong
    if you want them to add even more years down the line, because more weapons mean revising all existing shop models to make sure they adapt to the new weapons mods... and surely redo SQ42 from scratch yet again for the Nth time ^^

should there be more ship weapon types? i mean, they all come down to being lasers with travel time like in star wars. maybe only the banu (alien race ship) has a different weapon as its hitscan.

correct me of im wrong
    There are three different kinds of guns in Star Citizen:
    • Lasers (hitscan, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Lasers (travel time, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Bullets (travel time, does the most damage, does more damage to hull, has limited ammo)
    • EMP beams (travel time, drains a ship of its energy and eventually shuts it down, has infinite ammo)

- - - Updated - - -

You used to be able to use http://starcitizendb.com/ to theorycraft didn't ship builds but apparently that website is no more.

Edge, just one request to you - please stop enabling Kenn. As couple people pointed out this game of going in circles has been done at least 3 times during couple of years by Kenn and the now missing Anderson. Same arguments, same links, videos, even memes. Enough is enough in my opinion, he has been posting in bad faith and I sincerely wish he gets help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Remember the Panama Papers ? Yeah, literally nothing happened.
    This is offtopic, but no, this is not true. I saw infographic recently (mind you, did not go and check all the sources), but institutions across the world have recovered something like 1.5 billion USD at this point and put bunch of people behind bars. Yes, it has been years, yes, the progress is slow, yes, the money missing is still in untold billions but nothing happened? No, that is just wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

lol this game never coming out. biggest scam in modern video game developing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    There are three different kinds of guns in Star Citizen:
    • Lasers (hitscan, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Lasers (travel time, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Bullets (travel time, does the most damage, does more damage to hull, has limited ammo)
    [list]EMP beams (travel time, drains a ship of its energy and eventually shuts it down, has infinite ammo).

r u saying theres no room for more and its fine as it is? because to me for a game where its mostly about shooting ships in space thats rather lackluster
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    lol this game never coming out. biggest scam in modern video game developing.
    It's still not released?

HOLY shit! Some people spent thousands on ships, poor, stupid guys.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

r u saying theres no room for more and its fine as it is? because to me for a game where its mostly about shooting ships in space thats rather lackluster
    Unless you count missiles, then yeah that's it.

Currently combat in Star Citizen isn't as stale as you think. There is skill involved in flying your ship (which operates different in and out of atmosphere), managing your heat, trying to dodge incoming missiles, trying minimize your infrared profile to decrease enemy accuracy, having people in turrets, using EMP weapons to shut down an enemy ship and send a boarding party, working with a squad mate to corner your enemy, etc. All stuff in the game right now.

A "planned feature" is that there is going to be an engineer role on multicrew ships where you can have an engineer run around trying to fix the ship up during combat (like in Guns of Icarus), and an information warfare/hacker role that shut down or take over enemy systems, but so far none of this has left the planning stage yet.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I personally do think the money is going towards the game, just not efficiently at all. They're trying to build the best supercar ever... except it's hydrogen powered, has square wheels, and their test track is made out of gravel. Doesn't matter how many millions you throw at that kind of project, you'll progress glacially if at all. But so long as it has whales who really, really want their square-wheeled car to be a thing and are buying .jpgs of a ship for literal thousands, the project will continue.
    Oh, I agree something's being made. I just wonder if 'at the end of all this' (whenever that is...!), its really 10 dollars out of every 100 being spent on that "best supercar ever" (with square wheels etc) and the other 90 being squirreled away and/or invested elsewhere (cult... militant group...etc). As in - they are doing 'enough' to keep the money train rolling, and the rest will be uncovered when they finally give up. =D

Just an outside theory I know - but 'wouldn't it be funny if...'. I mean, we can't say its NOT a possibility; until "the real deal" hits live anyway.

And IF it ever hits live - can you even imagine the speed of bug fixes at this point? I foresee a Cyberpunk launch-level of broken for this game if it ever launches - and then their promises over another 10 years to fix the bugs (while charging for a live service ala Fallout76..). People gonna think I'm psychic.. .
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-04-13 at 06:04 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Unless you count missiles, then yeah that's it.

Currently combat in Star Citizen isn't as stale as you think. There is skill involved in flying your ship (which operates different in and out of atmosphere), managing your heat, trying to dodge incoming missiles, trying minimize your infrared profile to decrease enemy accuracy, having people in turrets, using EMP weapons to shut down an enemy ship and send a boarding party, working with a squad mate to corner your enemy, etc. All stuff in the game right now.

A "planned feature" is that there is going to be an engineer role on multicrew ships where you can have an engineer run around trying to fix the ship up during combat (like in Guns of Icarus), and an information warfare/hacker role that shut down or take over enemy systems, but so far none of this has left the planning stage yet.
    I mean it sounds like if they could actually manage having servers with 1000+ people simulatenously it could be a fun little minigame even now. Too bad they are all too happy shooting themselves in the foot over and over.

LMAO this scam is still going?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I mean it sounds like if they could actually manage having servers with 1000+ people simulatenously it could be a fun little minigame even now. Too bad they are all too happy shooting themselves in the foot over and over.
    Yeah. With only 40 player servers, there are certain ships in the game where you literally do not have enough people on the server to fully crew the ship.

This screenshot was taken a couple years ago, back when the servers had a 50 player cap. So right now, if you subtract 10 players from that image, that is how many players can be on a single server together at once.

I just have to wonder, how much further in development would the game be, if systems like pickpocketing weren't added.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    I just have to wonder, how much further in development would the game be, if systems like pickpocketing weren't added.
    3 years later they will blame the Canadian company Turbulent for delays. They hired them to have another excuse.
    So don't expect anything before 4 years.

Out of Curiosity, what else would you do?
    That does not fall into the Category of:
    Bullets that use Ammo.
    Lasers Projectiles that use Energy instead of Ammo.
    Laser Beams
    Rockets

I mean, you said Eve online has these weapons:
    lead shell projectiles, artillery, lasers, railguns, even recently added disintegration beams
    lead shell projectiles = Bullets
    artillery = Bullets
    lasers = lasers? Beams? Projectiles?
    railguns = Bullets
    disintegration beams = Laser Beam

I dont really see much variety in the Technicalities of the weapon. Maybe as an Eve Player you can enlighten me what the differences actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Out of Curiosity, what else would you do?
    That does not fall into the Category of:
    Bullets that use Ammo.
    Lasers Projectiles that use Energy instead of Ammo.
    Laser Beams
    Rockets

I mean, you said Eve online has these weapons:

lead shell projectiles = Bullets
    artillery = Bullets
    lasers = lasers? Beams? Projectiles?
    railguns = Bullets
    disintegration beams = Laser Beam

I dont really see much variety in the Technicalities of the weapon. Maybe as an Eve Player you can enlighten me what the differences actually are.
    Weapon types have different damage profiles and optimal ranges.
    Projectile cannons have low damage, but a super wide optimal range so you can always apply that damage well.
    Artillery is low fire rate, high damage, long optimal range (obviously for sniper built ships) with a low turn rate, so useless if you get close.
    Lasers come in a few flavors that fit the same general archetype, but don't require ammo. Instead, you swap out crystals, which you can do instantly in combat, to change your range / damage profile. These were probably my favorite weapon type when I quit playing. So versatile.
    Rails are for medium / long range kiting ships, typically. Their counterpart is Blasters, which is the "get in close and eat your bootyhole" version.
    Disintegration beams are new-ish. Damage starts low and ramps up the longer you keep it going. Damage stopping for whatever reason stops that process.

Each weapon type DRASTICALLY impacts how you're going to handle combat. This list left out a few, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Weapon types have different damage profiles and optimal ranges.
    Projectile cannons have low damage, but a super wide optimal range so you can always apply that damage well.
    Artillery is low fire rate, high damage, long optimal range (obviously for sniper built ships) with a low turn rate, so useless if you get close.
    Lasers come in a few flavors that fit the same general archetype, but don't require ammo. Instead, you swap out crystals, which you can do instantly in combat, to change your range / damage profile. These were probably my favorite weapon type when I quit playing. So versatile.
    Rails are for medium / long range kiting ships, typically. Their counterpart is Blasters, which is the "get in close and eat your bootyhole" version.
    Disintegration beams are new-ish. Damage starts low and ramps up the longer you keep it going. Damage stopping for whatever reason stops that process.

Each weapon type DRASTICALLY impacts how you're going to handle combat. This list left out a few, too.
    Star Citizen has more dynamic gameplay than EVE, it doesn't need dozens of variants to tweak the underlying numbers that run the spreadsheet because it has gameplay beyond clicking on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Star Citizen has more dynamic gameplay than EVE, it doesn't need dozens of variants to tweak the underlying numbers that run the spreadsheet because it has gameplay beyond clicking on things.
    Sure. My dude asked for enlightenment.