Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    My dad bought me one a while back. It was great the first week or so, and then I woke up with the worst neck pain of my life.
    His innovation is that the foam is ripped into chunks that are not uniform. That is it... there is nothing else to it... There are pillows that do the same thing, but even have a zipper to wash easier and to remove or add foam for more comfort. It’s a scam...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Apparently Greenberg is cooperating with the FBI now
    As in "across state lines" FBI.

A former local official in Florida indicted in the Justice Department investigation that is also focused on Representative Matt Gaetz has been providing investigators with information since last year about an array of topics, including Mr. Gaetz’s activities, according to two people briefed on the matter.

Mr. Greenberg, who is said to have met the women through websites that connect people who go on dates in exchange for gifts, fine dining, travel and allowances and introduced them to Mr. Gaetz, could provide investigators with firsthand accounts of their activities.

Mr. Greenberg began speaking with investigators once he realized that the government had overwhelming evidence against him and that his only path to leniency lay in cooperation, the people said. He has met several times with investigators to try to establish his trustworthiness, though the range of criminal charges against him — including fraud — could undermine his credibility as a witness.

Prosecutors often seek out cooperators in complex investigations where an insider’s account can help make their cases. Typically, the authorities meet with potential cooperators many times before formally agreeing to a plea deal to determine what information they have and whether they could serve as a witness against others.

Cooperators are expected to be fully forthcoming about their own and others’ criminality. If prosecutors conclude that they have lied, cooperating witnesses are likely to receive no deal and could even increase their own culpability. Those who cooperate earlier in investigations typically receive the best deals from the government because their help is seen as more critical to developing leverage against other defendants.

Mr. Greenberg faces a mandatory minimum of at least 12 years in prison: 10 years on the sex trafficking count and two on a charge of identity theft.

He is the only person who has been publicly charged in the investigation. F.B.I. agents are said to have questioned several women who had encounters with the men.

Prosecutors have portrayed Mr. Greenberg in court papers as undertaking a variety of criminal schemes, including some after he was initially charged in June. A judge sent him to jail in March for violating the terms of his bail. Those issues could undermine his credibility as a witness.

Defense lawyers, academics and some prosecutors have criticized plea agreements where defendants — particularly those like Mr. Greenberg, who faces a lengthy mandatory minimum sentence — try to prove their worth to the government in the hopes that prosecutors will ask a judge to give them a reduced sentence.

Mr. Greenberg’s own lawyer highlighted these problems in a 2010 article in the Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law.

“For the criminal defendant confronting the minimum mandatory sentence, cooperation (snitching against others) is his only means of avoiding the harsh penalty,” Mr. Scheller wrote.

Defense lawyers, he continued, have a duty to speak up or quit representing clients who falsely implicate others to try to help themselves.

“The system that so handsomely rewards the snitch,” Mr. Scheller wrote, “encourages the advocate to become one himself.”
    The "oh he's lying to save himself from jail" defense is therefore summarily handwaved. Of course, Venmo kept the receipts so....yeah.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.salon.com/2021/04/13/eve...owing-scandal/

When even Roger fucking Stone won't stand by you, you're probably fucked.
    That is almost the definition of fucked. Stone is certifiably insane. I would think vouching for another pedo would be right up his alley.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...ith-doj-report

Links back to NYT but that's paywalled, but it's got the salient info. Apparently Greenberg is cooperating with the FBI now, including snitching on Gaetz. I imagine it'll be a while before we see any effects of this, if this is all accurate, but this may be spicy.
    I'm sure the FBI/DOJ are making sure every i is dotted and t crossed before the move in for an arrest. You can bet Gaetz is already on the confidential watch list, and if he doesn't have a team of agents following him 24/7, he will soon.

Fewer flight risks exist right now in the United States than Gaetz.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Of course, Venmo kept the receipts so....yeah.
    I will never understand how these people can be so stupid as to use fucking Venmo and its ilk for this kind of shit. I closed my account out (fuck Stripe) but like, I legit only used it for paying coworkers back who didn't want cash. But like, that shit is connected to your bank account and is functionally social media for paying people for shit...did they think there wouldn't be obvious digital trails, including publicly visible ones because the idiots apparently left their payment history public?

The vast expanse of nothingness that exists in their brains must be terrifying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Fewer flight risks exist right now in the United States than Gaetz.
    Bets on him hopping the border to Mexico? Maybe he can ask Cruz about his favorite hotels and drink choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will never understand how these people can be so stupid as to use fucking Venmo and its ilk for this kind of shit
    Back in my day, when I walked uphill 17.2 miles in the snow to get to my drug dealer, I paid in cash. Then walked 17.2 miles uphill in the snow to get home.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The "oh he's lying to save himself from jail" defense is therefore summarily handwaved. Of course, Venmo kept the receipts so....yeah.
    This is important to remember - these people who are accepting plea deals are providing corroborating evidence (in most cases). They are doing what prosecutors describe as "providing a narrative", meaning they are providing details to already established facts - the Venmo receipts being a perfect example.

I know a number of our resident Trumpkins called this kind of thing, when it involved Cohen flipping on Trump, as lying. Which is a ridiculous description - because these experienced federal prosecutors (and there are none better in the U.S.) actually know what they are doing.

If Greenberg has been providing info to the FBI/DOJ "since last year" Gaetz is fucked. Not if, but when, will the indictment fall.

Bets on him hopping the border to Mexico? Maybe he can ask Cruz about his favorite hotels and drink choices.
    According to his ilk, Mexico is filled with rapists so I guess he's fit right in.

I will never understand how these people can be so stupid as to use fucking Venmo and its ilk for this kind of shit. I closed my account out (fuck Stripe) but like, I legit only used it for paying coworkers back who didn't want cash. But like, that shit is connected to your bank account and is functionally social media for paying people for shit...did they think there wouldn't be obvious digital trails, including publicly visible ones because the idiots apparently left their payment history public?
    That's all I use Venmo for either, and even I set it to private pretty much immediately after creating my account. How people using it for illicit purposes are leaving it public astounds me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    That's all I use Venmo for either, and even I set it to private pretty much immediately after creating my account. How people using it for illicit purposes are leaving it public astounds me.
    Ye, mine was private as soon as I created it. Didn't even know it had Stripe for a while but closed it out since I don't use it anymore (no need to share prices since we're all remote) and I'd rather limit the risk of security breaches/not give Stripe all my banking information.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Considering this...

The vast expanse of nothingness that exists in their brains must be terrifying.
    ...which I agree with, I wonder if he even thinks he's in trouble. Some of these people literally believe whatever they say, so Matt may have already convinced himself that he is innocent, part of a "set-up", which is part of a larger Deep State conspiracy.

But if he comes up for air, I would expect a run to Cuba.

Ye, mine was private as soon as I created it. Didn't even know it had Stripe for a while but closed it out since I don't use it anymore (no need to share prices since we're all remote) and I'd rather limit the risk of security breaches/not give Stripe all my banking information.
    Can you PM me about Stripe? I don't think I'd heard of any of that.

Probably finally got one of them. Apparently my grandmother got one ages ago while she was still alive, I imagine ordered it based on all the Fox ads (she loved the channel). I think she returned it the next day, or the day after, because it was complete and total dogshit, heh.
    I was given one as a gift, I still use it after about a year, but you wash it with fabric softener once and it goes to crap. It's still better than my last pillow that I used for about 25 years.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will never understand how these people can be so stupid as to use fucking Venmo and its ilk for this kind of shit.
    Because they're entitled Rich shitheads who've been insulated from consequences for much of their adult life can't comprehend actually getting in trouble for anything because their Daddy/Money/Collogues will usually bail them out if shit goes south, so they don't really think about getting in trouble for the shit they've gotten away with doing for so long.

That'd be my guess anyway.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...igation-481273

Gaetz’s predicament as the subject of a serious investigation became clearer this winter when federal agents executed a search warrant and seized his iPhone, according to interviews with three people who were told of the matter by Gaetz, who changed his phone number in late December. Around that time, the sources said, federal agents also seized his former girlfriend’s phone before she went into work in the morning. She declined comment.
    If true, this is very interesting. And probably not good for Gaetz. Man this is a wild fuckin story.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...igation-481273

If true, this is very interesting. And probably not good for Gaetz. Man this is a wild fuckin story.
    This brings the timeline of his possible retirement from Congress more into focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This brings the timeline of his possible retirement from Congress more into focus.
    Also matches with his begging for a catch-all pardon around the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Also matches with his begging for a catch-all pardon around the same time
    Well, we all know Trump is still secretly President, so that's why Gaetz was trying to meet with him this week.

It's really starting to look like he's in deep water here.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...cf289dabcbf22c

Eyyyy, as evidence builds Republicans might consider action against Gaetz for seemingly credible allegations of human trafficking and prostitution. And potentially trafficking a minor.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...cf289dabcbf22c

Eyyyy, as evidence builds Republicans might consider action against Gaetz for seemingly credible allegations of human trafficking and prostitution. And potentially trafficking a minor.
    Congratulations to the GOP for finally reaching the basic minimum of human decency.

Well. Hypothetically assuming they don't decide to handwave credible evidence as FaEk NoOz